Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

What are some of the games that you want to like, but just can't?

Hello champions! Good to see you!

I've been thinking about this topic this afternoon. There are some amazing games out there, that some of us really want to like, but either the writing, the characters, the visuals or just the gameplay can't keep your attention for long, and you end up either forcing yourself through the game, or just jumping off the boat.

If possible, provide a brief description of why you can't like said games.

Also: this is not a hate thread. Please, don't offend people because of their opinions on certain games.

I'll start with mine:

As a big, big fan of the original Deus Ex, I can't find myself enjoying Human Revolution and Mankind Divided. They're just...meh. The original game was pretty grounded in its plot, and the universe was pretty believable. The characters were convincing and the writing was superb.

HR doesn't have that, at least not for me. If it wasn't a Deus Ex game, maybe I could like it more, but I just can't. I forced myself through the entire game, and was disappointed from beginning to end. I really want to like it, but nope. No way.

And you? What are some of the games that you want to like, but just can't?

For me it's fighting games. I just cant do it but I greatly enjoy watching tournaments.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    sid meiers civ games. Everyone seems to like em but i never got into it.

I don't know if I exactly want to like the game, but I sorta get that feeling with Tales of Xillia 2. After playing through Tales of Xillia, pretty much everything in ToX2 seemed like a step back. I didn't like the protagonist, the forced grinding, how you went through a lot of areas that you already visited in ToX, the stricter restrictions on how often you can change party members, things like that... I just couldn't bring myself to even get halfway through that game. Having played through all the other 4-player Tales games (haven't finished Berseria but I'm loving it), just having that one incomplete game in the series sorta bugs me.

I'm curious as to how some of ToX2's new playable chars play, but yeeeah...

The Witcher. I think it may be Geralt that I find uninteresting to play as, his voice over always seemed a bit "cartoonish" to me.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Alien Isolation , I´m a big alien fan but the game its just not for me, though I really like the theme and everything, the AI for the alien seems to be annoying enough to make me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Prifter View Post
    For me it's fighting games. I just cant do it but I greatly enjoy watching tournaments.
    this except for me i think its less that i dont like them and more that i suck at them.

ill play a fighting game for the story mode and maybe dick around for a couple matches with a friend or two but i ultimately have to abandon them because after that initial first month or so of people figuring out how to meta it i end up getting chased off
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Hollow knight, no doubts about that. The game really has potential, but for me fell short by forcefully implementing "souls-like" mechanics just for a sake of it. Rarity of both save stations and incredibly barebones quick travel combined with extremely inefficient map design made it for very tedious experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Middle Earth: Shadows of Mordor.

The herbs just seemed like weird padding for no reason, like there was a whole alchemy system that was planned but just scrapped completely.
    The orc management was an interesting idea, but SUPER counterintuitive, since you wanted to help guys climb and then murder then in the face for top-tier loot, rather than trying to actually be a disruptive force.
    A lot of the climbing just felt like poorly-placed Assassin's Creed.

I know some people loved it, and I played it a bunch, but it never gelled for me the way it did for so many people.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Hollow knight, no doubts about that. The game really has potential, but for me fell short by forcefully implementing "souls-like" mechanics just for a sake of it. Rarity of both save stations and incredibly barebones quick travel combined with extremely inefficient map design made it for very tedious experience.
    Hollow Knight is one of my favorite games of the last year. It's a love story to the heyday of platformers, back in the SNES era. If you compare the above issues (weird levels, rare save points) to classic top-shelf games like Super Metroid, it's really comparable. The "souls-like" stuff was more in the currency system than level design.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    The Witcher. I think it may be Geralt that I find uninteresting to play as, his voice over always seemed a bit "cartoonish" to me.
    Same with me, I'm trying to play Witcher 3 on my xbox but the combat is so terrible (my first witcher game). I dont enjoy it in the least. The story and quest system is enjoyable though and outweighs the combat, I think.

Pretty much most console ports. Dumbed down camera, FPS and controls plus almost never any mouse over tooltips.

P2W games like Star Citizen or Fortnite.

Witcher and Skyrim.

I can't put my finger on exactly why. I normally really like the rpg-esque genre. Combined I've probably tried to play them 6 to 10 times. At least 3 times each for sure, possibly 4 or 5.

I can't say that they're bad games, they're fine. I just always stop playing after 3 or 4 hours. I don't know why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Transformers Devestation

Like is too strong a word. Alright with it is what I would use.

It should be something I love. Its writtent o be like an episode of the cartoon, it has platinum games gameplay, you can play as all your fav characters, but its just not that good and is pretty generic and kinda explains why Platinum was having money troubles as they made a few games like this.

War and Fall of Cybertron were better games.

every.... single... FPS...

10+ Year Old Account
    Any MOBA game basically, I like everything about them, except how they play...

10+ Year Old Account
    Witcher 3

I love everything except the gameplay. Unfortunately, I can't play a game that I think has terrible gameplay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Pillars of eternity.
    Baldur's gate.

Basically games with gameplay like those titles. Find the combat boring and the story too hard to get into.

I managed to get into Tyranny a bit, loved the theme and story behind it but the combat is something I struggle like hell with.
    Last edited by Aeula; 2017-09-06 at 05:28 PM.

I don't want to like things I don't like.

Racing games.

I love motor sports, but I find playing them on a game to be incredibly boring. I prefer doing it for real... maybe that's why?

/shrug

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prifter View Post
    Second on this. I enjoy playing ssbm a whole lot but traditional fighting games... ugh something about they way they play I can't find engaging but I do watch some from time to time.