Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Computer Underperforming?

I just built a new gaming PC two weeks ago and I feel unsatisfied with the gaming performance. Overall, the PC doesn't feel "smooth" (I suspect Windows being installed on an HDD being the cause for the OS slacking), and games tend to stutter. For instance, I bought GTA 5 and made the exact same settings as my friend who has GTX 960 4gb and i7-4790k as well as 16gb DDR3 RAM.

I have GTX 1060 6gb and i7-7700k, 8gb DDR4 RAM (at higher Mhz than his). Yet my game stutters A LOT and his does not. I suspect it might be the RAM, but I really doubt it. The game doesn't use 8GB of it from what I've checked.

What can it be? I am incredibly frustrated. Drivers are updated FYI.

GTAV is a bad example since apparently requires tinkering with nvidia panel which is a driver problem.

Unless you try many different games and they all stutter you can start talking about a problem, which you did mention games, but only mentioned GTAV which makes me believe its the only "games" you actually tried.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    GTAV is a bad example since apparently requires tinkering with nvidia panel which is a driver problem.

Unless you try many different games and they all stutter you can start talking about a problem, which you did mention games, but only mentioned GTAV which makes me believe its the only "games" you actually tried.
    I tried Batman: Arkham Knight and that happens as well. I've also tweaked the NVIDIA control panel but I don't see much benefit.

I also played FIFA and it feels a bit sluggish. Definitely not smooth as I know it ought to be. This makes no sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, GTA 5 isn't a bad example here as it works well for my friend. Why him and not me?

Then there's FIFA which is smooth for him but for me feels as if it runs at 0.87 of normal speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirkza View Post
    I tried Batman: Arkham Knight and that happens as well. I've also tweaked the NVIDIA control panel but I don't see much benefit.

I also played FIFA and it feels a bit sluggish. Definitely not smooth as I know it ought to be. This makes no sense.
    If your hardware was defective, you wouldnt have stutter, you would plain crash, usually with a BSOD.

Plus the games you are mentioning are all console ports with tons of issues, as i said and will repeat myself, try actual games, computer games first, then start blaming the PC.

99% chance is just a terrible HDD too.

Or..Windows 10 running ? GameDVR disabled?

Deleted
    If your hardware was defective, you wouldnt have stutter, you would plain crash, usually with a BSOD.

Plus the games you are mentioning are all console ports with tons of issues, as i said and will repeat myself, try actual games, computer games first, then start blaming the PC.

99% chance is just a terrible HDD too.

Or..Windows 10 running ? GameDVR disabled?
    I will try Withcer 3 today and see if there is issues with that.

What do you mean by Windows 10 running? Also, should GameDVR be disabled or not?

For the record, games like WoW and FIFA are on my SSD, not HDD. However, Windows is installed on HDD so could that be an issue?

I will try Withcer 3 today and see if there is issues with that.

What do you mean by Windows 10 running? Also, should GameDVR be disabled or not?

For the record, games like WoW and FIFA are on my SSD, not HDD. However, Windows is installed on HDD so could that be an issue?
    Are you running Windows 10 or 7?

GameDVR should be disabled, its 90% of the problems with all games on fresh installations if installed from an older version Windows 10, creators update seems to have it disabled by default now.\

Xbox App-->Create account-->Log in-->Settings cog wheel at the bottom right-->GameDVR-->Disable if it isnt.

Windows on HDD just makes your PC feel sluggier than it is, yes but it shouldnt affect performance in games that much unless the HDD is on its last and has general issues.

Deleted
    Are you running Windows 10 or 7?

GameDVR should be disabled, its 90% of the problems with all games on fresh installations if installed from an older version Windows 10, creators update seems to have it disabled by default now.\

Xbox App-->Create account-->Log in-->Settings cog wheel at the bottom right-->GameDVR-->Disable if it isnt.

Windows on HDD just makes your PC feel sluggier than it is, yes but it shouldnt affect performance in games that much unless the HDD is on its last and has general issues.
    Windows 10.

I just checked for driver updates and I get the following that need to be updated:

- Many "PCI-to-PCI bridge" updates.
    - PCI standard ISA bridge
    - PCI standard host CPU bridge

Could that be the issue so far as well?

I would make sure your compy is detecting all 8gb of ram in bios, update graphics drivers if needed.
    and also suggest that you upgrade to 16gb at least. also what MB are you using?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaice View Post
    I would make sure your compy is detecting all 8gb of ram in bios, update graphics drivers if needed.
    It says I got 8GB RAM... Not sure where I can check if all is used properly?

Motherboard: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...ming-rev-10#kf

Windows 10.

I just checked for driver updates and I get the following that need to be updated:

- Many "PCI-to-PCI bridge" updates.
    - PCI standard ISA bridge
    - PCI standard host CPU bridge

Could that be the issue so far as well?
    Seems like you did not install your mothervoard drivers, this can definatelly cause serious performance issues, install those and go from there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    Seems like you did not install your mothervoard drivers, this can definatelly cause serious performance issues, install those and go from there.
    I just disabled GameDVR and installed all that. Will now reboot. Will try GTA 5 and all that after and inform ya'll!

Quote Originally Posted by Novaice View Post
    Why 16GB RAM?

https://www.techspot.com/article/104...ram/page3.html

In the game the OP is talking about, GTAV, plus 65 Chrome Tabs open using 2.2GB RAM, there was virtually no difference, 1 FPS, going from 4GB to 8GB and a ZERO FPS difference going from 8GB to 16GB. What do you think getting 16GB of RAM is going to do for him?

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Why 16GB RAM?

https://www.techspot.com/article/104...ram/page3.html

In the game the OP is talking about, GTAV, plus 65 Chrome Tabs open using 2.2GB RAM, there was virtually no difference, 1 FPS, going from 4GB to 8GB and a ZERO FPS difference going from 8GB to 16GB. What do you think getting 16GB of RAM is going to do for him?
    Takes longer for the problems to start when console ports start memory leaking

Takes longer for the problems to start when console ports start memory leaking
    Not really. I mean sure, it can happen, but that's not the reason. The reason is they have an SSD and the pagefile is on the SSD. So effectively, they never run out of RAM as a page file on an SSD is fast enough that it doesn't make much of a difference.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    Well, GTA ran better but there occurred some stuttering later on...

Nothing to do with heat I must mention, as I have liquid cooling and everything is below 60 c. Maybe because I installed game on HDD there is an issue?

Check your temperatures and memory allocation. 8GB should generally be enough, but that's assuming you have no bloatware.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Well, GTA ran better but there occurred some stuttering later on...

Nothing to do with heat I must mention, as I have liquid cooling and everything is below 60 c. Maybe because I installed game on HDD there is an issue?
    No. If HDDs caused that issue, the consoles would be unplayable, as they use even-slower 5400rpm drives.

A 7200rpm HDD will play games just fine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Check your temperatures and memory allocation. 8GB should generally be enough, but that's assuming you have no bloatware.
    Temperatures are perfectly nice. Staying below 60c usually. No issues there.

Memory-wise all seems fine as well. Chrome takes up a lot but even if I close it the issue occurs.

What's worse, I can play the game and it can be smooth for a while. Then it begins stuttering non-stop. No temperature changes. No new programmes started in background. Nothing. Just stuttering out of the blue.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    No. If HDDs caused that issue, the consoles would be unplayable, as they use even-slower 5400rpm drives.

A 7200rpm HDD will play games just fine.
    So... what could it be?

- Temperatures are perfect.
    - Specs are great. RAM is only 8GB but DDR4 and decent frequency (2400).
    - I tried disabling GameDVR and all that, and tweak the NVIDIA control panel settings.

It continues to happen.

What's worse, I can play the game and it can be smooth for a while. Then it begins stuttering non-stop. No temperature changes. No new programmes started in background. Nothing. Just stuttering out of the blue.
    Looks like throttling alright to me. Make sure that your PSU is properly installed and the intake fan isnt blocked. Also check your MCP temperature.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Set the 3D settings in the Nvidia settings to maximum performance.

Install msi afterburner or similar tool and let it run in the background. Play until it starts stuttering and then tab out of the game and check if the gpu clockspeeds decreased or if it still runs at full speed