Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Day Z mod

It's the clunkiest piece of garbage I've played since Blue Stinger on the Dreamcast. It's like a drunk and blind Mr Potato Head was rebuilt by a slightly retarded 10 year old and they decided to ask Lara Croft from the first Tomb Raider and a Picasso painting for its interpretation on how movements should be handled.

Skyrim

Super boring/dull/repetitive combat/quests/music/zones with outright pathetic audio design/fidelity. In comparison, I loved everything about Oblivion except its leveling system. I'm aware of the Realtek issue with Skyrim, that's not part of it. It's possible the game relies on simple FMOD implementation and players having a 5.1 system to prevent muffled audio playback and accurate dynamic range reproduction so the stereo mixes are terrible. If I shared what I truly thought of it and why it turned out that way I'd be harassed into Oblivion, pun intended. I also spent more time modding/maintaining the mods in case I ever wanted to give it more chances than actually playing it.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2017-09-06 at 05:42 PM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Black Desert Online - holy moses is that game beautiful; and the combat? I spent hours in the starter areas just bashing mobs around on my tamer before realizing I was out leveling quite a few of the areas the quests were steering me toward.

Why can't I like the game? For a game with such stunning visuals; if you don't spend real money in the payshop; your character will look almost exactly as they did when you first clicked confirm at character creation all the way to max level. After that you'll get some new stuff that will change the armor appearence on your character, but then you're stuck there again.

The game isn't exactly what I would call P2W; as everything in the payshop (when I played at US launch) was cosmetic or had some minor QoL property (like a pet that would go and loot a nearby corpse for you) - but in an MMO; I really feel like not being able to change the look of your characters gear severely hinders the feeling of progression. If they had completely done away with the payshop and merely had all of those items available in game as well as make your characters appearence change through equipping different gear; I would probably have stayed there for good. I could easily spend hours just managing my workforce sending them out for resources and what not. Was so close to loving that game; so very close.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Aeula Have you tried Divinity: Original Sin? That had great combat, the sequel is out on the 14th, I'd check it out.

I'd have to agree with people about The Witcher series, bought the second for £3 after Dark Souls (brilliant game) and just couldn't get over how bad the combat was, didn't even try the sequel because they didn't fix it from what I could tell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muadiib View Post
    @Aeula Have you tried Divinity: Original Sin? That had great combat, the sequel is out on the 14th, I'd check it out.

I'd have to agree with people about The Witcher series, bought the second for £3 after Dark Souls (brilliant game) and just couldn't get over how bad the combat was, didn't even try the sequel because they didn't fix it from what I could tell.
    Played it. Love it. Backed the second on Kickstarter. Turn based combat is fun, real time with pause and a really tiny actionbar is... less so for me. Dragon Age Origins, II and Inquisition being the exceptions since the pause is not as needed.

Also as someone who hates Witcher 2 combat, but played it for the story; Witcher 3 is significantly better. The combat is pretty good imo.
    Last edited by Aeula; 2017-09-06 at 05:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The new Battlefield games.

I want to like them, but the devs make a just a couple horrible decisions in gameplay mechanics that ruin the whole thing for me.

I miss the days of 1942, Vietnam, and BF2/2142, when we could MOD THE GAMES... I absolutely hate it when developers remove the ability to mod a game series after allowing it for years on previous versions, when the mods(like Desert Combat for 1942) were what gave them so much of their popularity to begin with.

I mean, can you imagine if Bethesda just stopped letting us mod FO and TES in FO5 and TES6? Would be absurd... The hell was EA/DICE thinking.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2017-09-06 at 06:17 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post

I want to like them, but the devs make a just a couple horrible decisions in gameplay mechanics that ruin the whole thing for me.

I miss the days of 1942, Vietnam, and BF2/2142, when we could MOD THE GAMES... I absolutely hate it when developers remove the ability to mod a game series after allowing it for years on previous versions, when the mods(like Desert Combat for 1942) were what gave them so much of their popularity to begin with.

I mean, can you imagine if Bethesda just stopped letting us mod FO and TES in FO5 and TES6? Would be absurd... The hell was EA/DICE thinking.
    I'm pretty sure Bethesda relies on the modding community to make their games more stable at this point; discontinuing mod support for their games would be suicide in my opinion lol.

For the BF series; meh. Desert Combat was fun don't get me wrong; but I am not sure if it (modding) was as much of a focal point for the players as it was in say; games like half life; which spawned entire games from their mods. I do agree with the overall "Wtf EA" vibe though; Battlefield 2 was the last "pure" fps I remember genuinely enjoying.

Deleted
    I want to like WoW as much as some people like WoW, staying subscribed for years and years, always finding something to do and have fun with in-game.

I buy gametime once in a while and play for a couple of weeks at most.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bloodborne is a game that could've been so good but the devs completely half assed it. Such a short game with awful designed bosses and extremely limited character builds.

The first half of the dlc is literally fucking cathedral ward and upper cathedral ward with a different color. Lame. And the npcs + story sucks like in all souls games but Bloodborne made sure it had the worst of the bunch.

Bloodborne sucks and I hate the fact that it sucks when it had way more potential than just being a shitty R1 simulator game.

Divinity Original Sin. I dunno why. The combat is well thought out, if a bit repetitive. The writing is sometimes clever. The game's systems are fairly unique and interesting. Yet I've tried 3 times, and could never get past the first area.

Then again I've also tried and been unimpressed by Divinity II and Dragon Commander. Maybe I just don't like what Larian does.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post

Also as someone who hates Witcher 2 combat, but played it for the story; Witcher 3 is significantly better. The combat is pretty good imo.
    I agree that the combat in W3 is loads better. However, I found the story in Witcher 2 better (the main story anyway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    but I am not sure if it (modding) was as much of a focal point for the players as it was in say; games like half life; which spawned entire games from their mods.
    Project Reality and Squad say hi.

The vast majority of the servers running back then were modded in some shape or form, and a great many of those were running DC.. There were almost no vanilla servers.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

tales of series and path of exile are big ones I can think of immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    And you? What are some of the games that you want to like, but just can't?
    Skyrim. Love the visuals, I've modded the UI that annoys me, but I just can't stand the combat system. I try, I try again, but I just can't get into it. I've owned it for years, and I haven't gotten very far into the game. I don't even like watching people stream it.

Path of Exile is the second. I was addicted to Diablo II, and played 3 a lot, and tried PoE, because of the raves it gets from Diablo players. Just can't get into it, don't like the systems, and the community is toxic. If I want a chat full of 4chan memes, I'll go to fucking 4chan.

I'd like to be into Overwatch, because I have a bunch of friends who play, but I honestly couldn't care less.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post

I played FO4 with no mods, the first run through. It's not a horrible experience. I love modding, but I always play a game the way it's intended first. But yeah, it would be suicide for Bethseda to stop modding at this point, it's too embedded in their games now. Even just for quality of life stuff, or the unofficial patches, modding is incredibly useful - and fun. Cities Skylines is another game that thrives through modding - the base game is fine, but it really shines with modding.

Guild Wars 2, for one. I love a lot of what they did up until heart of thorns, but holy shit navigating that expansion is balls. Taking 15 minutes to move 200m between points is just not engaging gameplay.

The Division is a big one too. So many concepts I really like but gameplay that just ended up being grindy and repetitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    Black Desert Online - snip
    I downloaded it and really wanted to give it a go, but I never made it more than 10 minutes into the game after I realized I couldn't bind my keys the way I want.

I'm left handed, and play with left handed Razer Naga, with the majority of my keybinds in virtually all games being on the right side of the keyboard (arrow keys, numpad, ins, home, page up/down etc...). As soon as I realized I couldn't bind my keys the way I wanted, I uninstalled.

Pretty much any FPS game. I used to really love CS 1.6, old battlefield games, Unreal tournament, Quake etc, but now they just feel terrible to play. It is most likely because I never put in the time to actually get okay at the game, before feeling like I am too bad at it to enjoy it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valeron View Post
    I agree that the combat in W3 is loads better. However, I found the story in Witcher 2 better (the main story anyway)
    I liked them both about the same. A shame there was no Iorveth or Saskia in Witcher 3 though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alien Isolation, I loved the first hour and a half and then I just got stuck and kept dying over and over again with no idea what I was meant to be doing or where to go.
    It's a shame because I love the start of the game and the concept of it but maybe I am just not creative enough for the crafting system and the other aspects of the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    Skyrim. Love the visuals, I've modded the UI that annoys me, but I just can't stand the combat system. I try, I try again, but I just can't get into it. I've owned it for years, and I haven't gotten very far into the game.
    Yep, the exact same issue here, including also Morrowind and Oblivion.
    I have also tried modding the gameplay, so i could somehow tolerate the combat system, but it did not work.
    It has gotten far worse after dark souls series, i played more of Morrowind and Oblivion of what i have been capable of playing Skyrim.
    I have it installed, i even downloaded Bruma, but it is no use.
    Last edited by mmoccf1d2005b5; 2017-09-07 at 11:54 AM.

Deleted
    Witcher 2 - terrible control scheme
    Metal Gear Solid - cliché-ish, absurd, painfully bad story told in cliché-ish, absurd, painfully bad, way too long cut scenes