Poll: Should Blizzard keep the Faction War?

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    gameplay wise it can be continued with todays tech actually. the overall horde/alliance ratio is reasonably close to 50/50.

so with todays sharding/crz tech, it shouldn't be to hard to implement a world pvp zone which has actual competition over it and reward with WQ/daily hubs etc.

they tried this in the past with wintergrasp/tol barad but that never really worked because most servers are heavily dominated by one faction, but today servers don't really matter anymore, so actual competition could be achieved.
    Ok, so you win in a group, then leave, and the sharding places you on a shard where the other faction won.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    Ok, so you win in a group, then leave, and the sharding places you on a shard where the other faction won.
    yeah just like you build the mage tower in broken shore, then hop to a shard where the nether disrupter is up.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    "teehee WARcraft! war in warcraft!"

fuck off, goddammit. we're fighting fucking existential wars every fucking year, that's your goddamned war.

no, the faction war shouldn't continue. it's a load of shit, and it always will be.
    Agreed. All bgs should either be some kind of caverns of time situation or new ones should be us adventurers working for third parties. Them having to shoe horn pvp and faction conflict into everything ruins the story.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Horde vs Alliance > Power rangers vs big bad darkness
    This. /thread

15+ Year Old Account
    Remember the wrathgate, before stuff hit the fan? We should keep that rivality thing going between the factions, but war? It makes no sense against certain enemies.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't really think the faction war NEEDS to happend. The Horde and Alliance can be at peace and the game would still work quite fine, but i do think there is a problem when factions are inactive like they are right now. I personally think that the Horde and Alliance should always be doing something, having a story going on and being in constant change/movement. Can these actions be war? Sure, but they can also interact with each other outside of direct war. The joined forces during the start of Wrath gave room for interactions, so both war and peace can work.

All in all, what we really need is just some active factions, who are doing stuff in the world around us. Having Sylvanas and Genn be AFK in Legion since launch is really not a good thing and is making the factions go stale.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Every single expansion (maybe not BC?), including MoP (Which was supposed to be the war expansion...) has the Alliance and Horde working together. It's stupid now.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Besides, we're constantly beset by outside forces. There's hardly any time for it anyway. Having Horde and Alliance at each others throats while the entire continent/world/universe is at stake is beyond stupid.
    This, I'm honestly really baffled as to why PvP servers have Argus as contested zones. Sure I get it, PVP SERVER MUST PVP, but from a story standpoint we shouldn't be ganking the opposite faction when we're trying to end the Burning Legion on their homeworld.

Deleted
    Yes! I like to see conflict amongst the two factions!

Without faction war i dont have the Warcraft feeling it is core to the game.
    Legion feels very poor when it came to Horde storytelling or progression inside the faction because of the neutral crap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    No. It was the core of wc 1 and 2. 3 was about working together against the legion. Wow has included faction conflict but it hasn't been the core of wow no matter how much people say it is.

Even the big conflict in Cata and MoP ended with the alliance and playable horde faction united vs garrosh.
    Hell by the end of Warcraft 2 it's starting to lead to bigger things then AvH, from Guldans betrayal, to Deathwings intervention, and Draenor being ripped open from to many portals being opened at once. The whole AvH thing has been ebbing off ever since, so let's just let it devolve into race and/or group warfare and remove the faction side of things.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I still want a mercenary mode where people from both fractions can raid together(we have it for bgs)

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    This, I'm honestly really baffled as to why PvP servers have Argus as contested zones. Sure I get it, PVP SERVER MUST PVP, but from a story standpoint we shouldn't be ganking the opposite faction when we're trying to end the Burning Legion on their homeworld.
    It's worse than just that. Horde and Alliance actually have no presence whatsoever on Argus. Velen and his Draenei aren't there as representatives of the Alliance, but in their role as the Argussian exiles. Alleria and Turalyon are members of the Army of Light.

The war between the Alliance and Horde has been the core to the game since the beginning, it took till WC3 that the bigger bad guys started to show up and they had no choice but to band together to beat them. I'd like to see the AvH conflicts continue like with the forsaken/worgen and the Alliance fighting back the orcs in Ashenvale. But this doesn't have to be the main focus of an expansion. You already know that there will never be a clear outcome because of the outcry from both factions where they call out favorism and start to cuss at the devs. A full blown war makes no sense considering all the times that they had to team up to beat the bad guys like Kil'jaeden, Arthas, Deathwing, Garrosh etc. If there was no Alliance vs Horde in the game left then there would be no Warcraft to me.

I personally feel that things need to evolve over time if it wants to remain interesting. If I look back at a series in entertainment, such as a TV show, videogames, etc. and look back at the beginning, seeing how things haven't changed at all since then, then I would be very disappointed. One of my favorite things about WoW is looking back at vanilla or the early expansions and seeing how long of a way we've come since then.

That's why I don't feel there is a need for a faction war anymore and I don't feel there's a need to force it for the sake of Alliance vs. Horde for millionth time, unless they have a good story to tell there.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    It's worse than just that. Horde and Alliance actually have no presence whatsoever on Argus. Velen and his Draenei aren't there as representatives of the Alliance, but in their role as the Argussian exiles. Alleria and Turalyon are members of the Army of Light.
    World pvp isn't a story thing though so it doesn't matter. And if it was it's still up to individual players to decide if their character would do that or not.

I voted for 'No' since the conflict is, at best, shoehorned in by bad writing, and needlessly cuts the players in 2 different groups.
    Add to that that we spent so far every expansion to punch the big bad in his daddy-sack together, or both sides would be wiped out.
    Then there is the problem with Blizzard not wanting to piss off 50% of the players by resolving the war with a clear winner (Alliance or Horde). We get a terrible ending like in SoO where the PCs were of course the good guys working with the heroes of the other side to stop Hit...Garrosh. Together, again.

Maybe it is because i played Warcraft since WarCraft that i am a bit tired of the conflict, it would need a break from the usual trott and a few years in game to give both sides the chance to recoup their losses.
    But nothing in Blizzards capabilities gives me hope that they could do a good war between Alliance and Horde justice. Because that would involve a lot of work, especially when territories change owners. Blizzard does not do that, they consider it too much work. FFS we live in the destroyed landscape of the Cataclysm longer than we did in the original zones, and aside from SW and OG about nothing got updated. Quick changing fronts due to player activity? If you believe that i got a few bridges to sell you.

I keep hearing how "it's the core of Warcraft", but since when has the faction war been front and center? (In WoW, not the rts games) Well, never. It's always some outside force we have to work together to defeat. It's always been in the background of the game, outside of a few quests. Even in MoP, Horde and Alliance came together to overthrow a tyrannical warchief. Yeah, alliance helped the horde...didn't end them, even though they could have. What kind of war is that? None that makes sense...it was silly.
    Also, because the way the game is presented with two player factions, the war can never be won on either side. It's literally a unwinnable war. One side "wins" and it results in the other side dropping subs.
    As horde, I'm helping Tyrande and Velen.....the war is only a war in name. It's lived past making any sense...time to end it..
    Last edited by TurnUndead; 2017-09-07 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TurnUndead View Post
    I keep hearing how "it's the core of Warcraft", but since when has the fraction war been front and center? (In WoW, not the rts games)
    At the latest, it stopped being a big deal with WC3. Which is 8 years into the franchises 23 years of existence. So it hasn't been a "core part" for nearly two thirds of it.

Wouldn't surprise me if many of the "core of WC" proponents didn't get into it until after that point.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    Don't take it so literally, it's just an example of a core fight in the lore.
    SIR, i will always take star wars literally!
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

It inevitably just boils down to humans vs. horde where most of the Alliance races are irrelevant or used merely as sidekicks to boost the human story.