Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Sealed Collector's Editions -- to open or not open

I just recently came into possession of a TBC, WoTLK, Cata, and MoP Collector's Edition, all sealed.

What would you guys/gals do? Open them up and get the Feats/Pets/Mounts, or would you stash them away as a collector would in the hopes that they continue to appreciate in value?

Don't open, a vanilla CE recently sold for 12k USD. Opening them would be a huge huge mistake. Legion overall has been a success, and very very likely the next one will be too. So wait and sell imo.

TBC and WOTLK can be pretty valuable if you sell them on eBay. Scan the market and sell at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandraudiga View Post
    Don't open, a vanilla CE recently sold for 12k USD. Opening them would be a huge huge mistake. Legion overall has been a success, and very very likely the next one will be too. So wait and sell imo.
    I wish I had the foresight to buy a Vanilla CE. That's absurd.

It is a total of 9 feats of strength, 4 pets, and 1 mount, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    TBC and WOTLK can be pretty valuable if you sell them on eBay. Scan the market and sell at the right time.
    Just checked. Only like 200 bucks each. It somewhat seems like a waste for them to just sit on a shelf unopened haha. Who knows what they might be worth 30 years from now to serious collectors, though, huh?

I had a break and came back to buy the MoP CE I think it was for half the price it was at release.
    Some just don't hold their value.

Vanilla absolutely are worth a lot though.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    I wish I had the foresight to buy a Vanilla CE. That's absurd.

It is a total of 9 feats of strength, 4 pets, and 1 mount, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Just checked. Only like 200 bucks each. It somewhat seems like a waste for them to just sit on a shelf unopened haha. Who knows what they might be worth 30 years from now to serious collectors, though, huh?
    These won't hold their value beyond the life of the game. Most of the value is in the rarity of the digital items.

it's all down to what you want. if you want a long term investment, keep them sealed and resell them later for a profit when there are even less on the market
    if you're a collector then either keep sealed and treasure it or cash in the pets/mounts (depending on what you prefer to collect)
    and if you're indecisive then ask on the forums for... oh

10+ Year Old Account
    If its sealed, I'd save it
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

10+ Year Old Account
    I say open them if you really enjoy the game. I open each CE that I buy and have bought them going back to Cata. Sadly I didn't buy a Wrath one, was still relatively new to the game and had no clue about them.

Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post
    These won't hold their value beyond the life of the game. Most of the value is in the rarity of the digital items.
    ^ This.

The CEs will be worthless if/when Blizzard decides to kill the game. As the popularity drops the value will probably drop as well. If there is no demand there is no value either despite how rare it is.

Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post
    I disagree with your first sentence. WoW is a legendary game, one of the greatest by many standards, so I believe these items will still be valuable even after WoW is long gone as a playable game. Some of its value is definitely tied up in the digital items, though. There's also more than one type of collector. Those who keep everything in the package, those who are pet/mount collectors, those who are art collectors, and some who just want the box itself to display, among others.

MoP and Cataclysm collector's editions aren't worth much. You can still buy them new for pretty much the same or even lower than their original prices.

TBC and WoTLK are worth quite alot though.

Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    it's all down to what you want. if you want a long term investment, keep them sealed and resell them later for a profit when there are even less on the market
    if you're a collector then either keep sealed and treasure it or cash in the pets/mounts (depending on what you prefer to collect)
    and if you're indecisive then ask on the forums for... oh
    I'm not indecisive :P I just wanted to hear how others look at them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    If its sealed, I'd save it
    To what end? Own personal collection, or to sell later on?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nitromonger View Post
    I say open them if you really enjoy the game. I open each CE that I buy and have bought them going back to Cata. Sadly I didn't buy a Wrath one, was still relatively new to the game and had no clue about them.
    You can't take em with you, after all. Not sure I'll ever use the Cata pet or Mop mount/pet, but I'm pretty keen on the Netherwhelp and Frost Whelp pets, so cool.

I disagree with your first sentence. WoW is a legendary game, one of the greatest by many standards, so I believe these items will still be valuable even after WoW is long gone as a playable game. Some of its value is definitely tied up in the digital items, though. There's also more than one type of collector. Those who keep everything in the package, those who are pet/mount collectors, those who are art collectors, and some who just want the box itself to display, among others.
    Some value tied to the digital items? Try all of it?

There is an opened like new Vanilla CE on e-bay right now for $175. The entirety of the value is in the CE code for the digital items. Once the game is shut down, it will be a paper weight.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't disagree with point 1, and agree with point 2. As point 2 is dependent on point 1. If those digital items cannot be redeemed, its value drops dramatically.

A perfect example of this is the Championship Raven Skin code for League of Legends... at the height of its value the unused card went for ~$800. Riot chose to stop honoring these codes and the value dropped to less than ~$80.00.

So while a sealed copy of the game may fetch you more than its initial cost, postmortem... it will never be as high as it is while the game is still playable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sealed BC...going for a 182 dollars...not exactly blazing it up with value.

There wasn't a whole lot worth of value to wow collectors editions...I don't think people are going to pay thousands of dollars to get a dvd, art book, and cards for a ccg no longer being produced.

The WoW CE's are more about little goodies and digital goods...they don't have statues or other highly collectable items.

I don't see their value skyrocketing and honestly I think when WoW shuts down they will likely stay similar or lose value.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    You do you.

By opening them others will appreciate in value as long as the demand is there...

Impossible to say without a crystal ball to look into so let your own vanity decide
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Skalm View Post
    Some value tied to the digital items? Try all of it?

There is an opened like new Vanilla CE on e-bay right now for $175. The entirety of the value is in the CE code for the digital items. Once the game is shut down, it will be a paper weight.
    One man's trash is another man's treasure. You disproved yourself by saying "all of it" when it's still worth way more now as an opened, like-new item compared to what its retail price was.

No Joke, 6 years ago my Brother found a copy of WoW Classic CE at a Storage Unit that was auctioned off. He gave me the CE because he knew I love WoW.

Never Opened it, wanted to wait for WoW's 15th anniversary before even dreaming of putting it on AH and by then I wanted to go to Blizzcon and get the dev staff to autograph a book i would sell along with it.

However, 3 years ago, my house caught fire and I lost everything I owned. Luckily family got out alright but I remember the Insurance company only crediting 70 dollars for my WoW CE because thats what the current CE was going for at the time. I was soooo pissed.