10+ Year Old Account

Exclamation Billions are drinking water contaminated with plastic — and US has it the worst

http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article171475582.html

If you drink tap water, you’re probably also ingesting potentially dangerous microscopic plastic fibers.

And you’re not alone: That’s likely the case for billions of people across the world, according to a new study from Orb Media.

The study, conducted with researchers from the State University of New York and the University of Minnesota, tested 159 tap water samples from five different continents, according to Public Radio International.

Of those samples, 83 percent were contaminated with plastic fibers, according to The Guardian, while the United States had the highest contamination rate at 94 percent.

In the United States, plastic fibers were found in water samples collected from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s headquarters, Congressional buildings and Trump Tower in New York.

The countries with the next highest rates of contamination were India and Lebanon, while European countries, and specifically the United Kingdom, France and Germany, tended to have the lowest rates, according to the International Business Times.

Out of every 500ml sample of water from the United States, researchers detected 4.8 plastic fibers — a dramatic increase over the 1.9 plastic fibers found in European water samples.

Other countries with water samples in the study included Uganda (with 81 percent of samples contaminated), Ecuador (75 percent) and Indonesia (76 percent).

These findings concerned Sherri Mason, a microplastic expert from State University of New York, who help oversee the Orb Media study.

The most troubling part of the findings, Mason said, is that we aren’t exactly sure what damage the microplastics can inflict, but we likely have reason to worry.

“We have enough data from looking at wildlife, and the impacts that it’s having on wildlife, to be concerned,” Mason said. “If it’s impacting [wildlife], then how do we think that it’s not going to somehow impact us?”

Research on wild animals shows that microplastics contain chemicals that can be released into the body when digested, according to The Guardian. And there is reason to believe that the presence of microplastics could cause internal damage, Anne Marie Mahon, from the Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology, said to The Guardian.

“If the fibers are there, it is possible that the nanoparticles are there too that we can’t measure,” she said. “Once they are in the nanometre range they can really penetrate a cell and that means they can penetrate organs, and that would be worrying.”

No one knows for certain where the contaminating plastic fibers are coming from, but researchers have some ideas, including fibers shed by t-shirts and carpets. Another study from Plymouth University found that one cycle of a washing machine can release 700,000 fibers into the surrounding environment, according to The Guardian.

Mary Kosuth, who performed tests for the Orb Media study at the University of Minnesota, wrote that this study is just the first step in determining how serious — and widespread — the issue of plastic contamination in tap water is.

“Since this is the first global tap water survey of plastic pollution to have been completed, the results of this study serve as an initial glimpse at the consequences of human plastic use [and] disposal rather than a comprehensive assessment of global plastic contamination,” she wrote. “These results call for further testing within and between regions.”
    http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article171475582.html

Yikes. This is really troubling. First Flint, now this. We need to put pressure on politicians to ensure that they prioritize the delivery of clean water!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah well we have a lot of people willing to put plastic everywhere else, although I am not so sure about this purity deal, I don't want fluoride or plastic in my water, but so long as I don't taste it and I live forever I don't really care too much. I am thirsty, I think I am up for a glass of water.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no doubt a link between plastic in water and the rising cancer rates. I don't get why this isn't publicized more.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    There is no doubt a link between plastic in water and the rising cancer rates. I don't get why this isn't publicized more.
    I think theres something to be said about the modern day male and cuck phenomena combined with the estrogen in plastics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ahh yes...the daily F-U America post that isn't allowed but is because said poster is being protected by a mod.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    This is why bottled water is sold out through out the state.

100% of people who eat healthy will die.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Everything is linked to cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    Which has lower standards than tap water. So only idiots think it's perfect.
    May 30th, 2019 - Trump admits Russia helped him get elected.

An elected Republican called for biblical law to be implemented and for all non-christians to be murdered. But it's sharia law we should be scared about right?

Republicans ran an actual Nazi for office in 2018 and he got nearly 1/3rd of the votes.

That is because of Trump

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything is linked to cancer.
    You're linked to cancer?

This just in: Water filters are a thing.

Mmmmmm, plasic.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    So I wonder how much 'plastic fibers' are in the air we breathe if they are 'linked' to things like 'carpet shedding'. To me it looks like they are trying to get more dramatic by linking it to water, people get more scared over contaminated water than 'contaminated' air, whilist air is full of all kinds of particles, not neccesariy good for health and it's not a new knowledge.

There is doubt, and I think the doubt is in the article you link which stated that there is no evidence of any harm to humans.

Bottled water is the same water, its being sold, because you are being scammed lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rilch View Post
    So I wonder how much 'plastic fibers' are in the air we breathe if they are 'linked' to things like 'carpet shedding'. To me it looks like they are trying to get more dramatic by linking it to water, people get more scared over contaminated water than 'contaminated' air, whilist air is full of all kinds of particles, not neccesariy good for health and it's not a new knowledge.
    These particle in the air eventually falls gets into the water.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    I think theres something to be said about the modern day male and cuck phenomena combined with the estrogen in plastics.
    Why is it those who whine the most about the cuck problem seem the most ironically cucky?
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.