Tank Followers and Tank pets should be unable to taunt off tank players in open world

I think this would improve the game a lot. In the current claustrophobic mess that is Argus when it's crowded, use of these things has (more than it already was before) essentially become a way to grief people. Seeing a lot of locks and hunters (and priests with Banshee follower) using these things to reset mobs and throw them out of position and so on, and it's plain annoying and people should know better. Since we can't trust the community to responsibly use these tools, IMHO as someone with 5 930-936 equipped tanks I think essentially that the tanking ability of followers and pets should be disabled for open world content when a player tank is present and has established aggro.

Also I think they should limit taunts on world bosses, I know it's mainly trivial content, but especially with the current Argus world boss I am seeing a lot of people who (are usually undergeared and bad , but often also just trolling because they can) taunt to reposition the boss so it MC's people. Very annoying, essentially I think if possible, they should make it impossible to taunt and rip agro off the initial tank in these encounters because there are absolutely no tank swap mechanics on any of these bosses anyways.

I'm sure a lot of people will disagree, but anything to make game more enjoyable and limit this kind of same faction griefing would really improve the current state of the game and eliminate a lot of toxicity.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakou View Post
    I'm sure a lot of people will disagree, but anything to make game more enjoyable and limit this kind of same faction griefing would really improve the current state of the game and eliminate a lot of toxicity.
    You can easily reverse the griefing. With your proposed way tank-specced players can taunt mobs and drag them away from whoever is fighting them, eventually resetting mobs just like you are complaining about now. Just because the Taunt roles have been reversed, doesn't mean the exact same thing will happen. People wanting to have "fun" doing this will do it if they can.

10+ Year Old Account
    They allow the zones to become overcrowded. It really hurts the fun factor of playing the game.

I think this would improve the game a lot. In the current claustrophobic mess that is Argus when it's crowded, use of these things has (more than it already was before) essentially become a way to grief people. Seeing a lot of locks and hunters (and priests with Banshee follower) using these things to reset mobs and throw them out of position and so on, and it's plain annoying and people should know better. Since we can't trust the community to responsibly use these tools, IMHO as someone with 5 930-936 equipped tanks I think essentially that the tanking ability of followers and pets should be disabled for open world content when a player tank is present and has established aggro.

Also I think they should limit taunts on world bosses, I know it's mainly trivial content, but especially with the current Argus world boss I am seeing a lot of people who (are usually undergeared and bad , but often also just trolling because they can) taunt to reposition the boss so it MC's people. Very annoying, essentially I think if possible, they should make it impossible to taunt and rip agro off the initial tank in these encounters because there are absolutely no tank swap mechanics on any of these bosses anyways.

Yeah, that's one of my big peeves too. I'll see a rare, swap to bear spec, and start a group. I'll say in the group that I'm a tank and go dps, but no one ever does. The fight takes forever, everyone's fighting for threat. And... there's a world boss?

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    You can easily reverse the griefing. With your proposed way tank-specced players can taunt mobs and drag them away from whoever is fighting them, eventually resetting mobs just like you are complaining about now. Just because the Taunt roles have been reversed, doesn't mean the exact same thing will happen. People wanting to have "fun" doing this will do it if they can.
    That's not reversing griefing that's just more work for no reward, and no thank you, my "fun" in world content is getting through it with absolutely no bullshit and not fucking around with people for no reason. Tank pets in the past weren't this abused, and followers weren't a thing, now these things are everywhere and are heavily abused and should be reigned in. Where's the loss? You still get your shitty pet tank/follower when there's not a tank in your group or already engaging the mob you're after.

I'm aware that many WoW players would prefer playing a solo excel sheet with colorful graphics, but we don't need to have everything micro-managed to an absurd level and functionalities overridden to the point of complete redundance.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    They allow the zones to become overcrowded. It really hurts the fun factor of playing the game.
    Big part of it too, Mac'aree and Krokuun aren't too bad, but Antorus is a complete shitshow that place is always massively crowded except at odd hours.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    I'm aware that many WoW players would prefer playing a solo excel sheet with colorful graphics, but we don't need to have everything micro-managed to an absurd level and functionalities overridden to the point of complete redundance.
    What are you even talking about? It's a group oriented game, having some douche nozzle come up and pet taunt a rare off you that you've already solo'd down half way and moving it out of position isn't doing anything for anyone. And besides your shitty pet tank doesn't get or give you any dps benefit out of tanking, all tanks actually do. What I'm complaining about is the whole solo shit show much of the game has devolved into, and tank pets/followers have a lot to do with that. Remove these elements in world content outside of when people actually need them (i.e. no tank present) and suddenly the content that's available would require you to cooperate with other people.

This would not only make the game much less annoying for veteran tanks, but also much more open to new tanks that are learning the ropes, and it's trivial content where they get the basics down.
    Last edited by Shakou; 2017-09-07 at 08:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree, really do but you have it the other way around as well, with actual tanking players doing the same thing.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    sometimes i wonder if WoW how low priority... i've never experienced things OP describe in legion, it's just... weird
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I agree, really do but you have it the other way around as well, with actual tanking players doing the same thing.
    Oh sure, that's why I elaborated about world bosses in my OP. Was tanking the new world boss on my paly a little bit ago, and had some idiot brewmaster with no threat and double stam trinkets just taunting randomly for no reason and respositioning the boss constantly, while I'm doing a solid 1mil dps, taking negligible damage and actually tanking the thing well.

Kind of a side topic tho, but ya totally related problem. Tanking is not about your e peen and isn't some frickin contest, people wanna get through content smoothly and with no bullshit. And your job as a tank is to be invisible so they can do that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    sometimes i wonder if WoW how low priority... i've never experienced things OP describe in legion, it's just... weird
    Do you have 5 geared out tanks you play a decent amount on? Or even one? I mean, of course people's experience may vary but as someone who tanks a whole lot this is a constant thing that happens, not a rare occasion and it's made the game a lot more toxic for me.

Deleted
    That's not reversing griefing that's just more work for no reward
    How is that NOT reverse griefing when you yourself specifically put in this?
    especially with the current Argus world boss I am seeing a lot of people who (are usually undergeared and bad , but often also just trolling because they can) taunt to reposition the boss so it MC's people.
    That's exactly the reverse griefing I was talking about. People wanting to do this, with a pet, a follower or by using their own taunts, WILL DO IT BECAUSE THEY CAN! So it doesn't matter if Blizzard changes the code to behave like you want it, you will still get people taunting off others for the "fun" of it. And you will still get mad about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have 5 geared out tanks you play a decent amount on? Or even one? I mean, of course people's experience may vary but as someone who tanks a whole lot this is a constant thing that happens, not a rare occasion and it's made the game a lot more toxic for me.
    I don't have 5 geared out tanks i play a decent amount on, why should it be relevant exactly?

I do have my 910 BrM and i do world content in either BrM or MW spec, i've never seen Chen taunting mobs off me as a problem, neither they evaded because of it, and i never seen "locks and hunters (and priests with Banshee follower)" somehow using their followers to taunt mob off me and run away to spite me.

People taunting world bosses are irrelevant to be honest, you always can re-taunt it, and if follower does that he will simply die in 1 or two hits.

And what the fuck is this "move out of position" you constantly talk about? It's open world content, there is no "position" to have
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    I don't have 5 geared out tanks i play a decent amount on, why should it be relevant exactly?
    Because you're obviously not an experienced tank and don't do a lot of tanking. You don't even understand why positioning is important. It has fuck all to do with whether or not it's important to YOU guy. Like really? You're just gonna say not important? Just flat out not because you said so and that's it and you expect a serious response?

Okay, so if I'm tanking something, and say this mob has some kind of a knockback effect (plenty of rares do) and well some asshole decides he's gonna come in all the sudden and taunt it with his pet and move it out of position. Myself and other melee present are no longer going to be able to easily dps that mob, we now have to deal with the asshole that taunted for no reason and no doubt did it just to be an asshole because previously that rare mob was sitting in a corner against a wall so everyone else could just fucking stand there and dps it until it's dead. Now only the shitty lock that came in and moved the mob just to be a piece of shit can comfortably dps.

if you're in a group of friends? Sure w.e have fun and fuck around with people, if you're out in the world dealing with complete strangers? Just don't be an asshole for no reason at all, if that's too hard for you, you should be banned from the game. In fact blizzard used to actually ban people for doing this type of thing, because it is a form of exploiting and is considered same faction griefing, and can result in friendly player death and other problems.

So what if it's trivial content, first off it's not for everyone, the majority are just trying to get through the game and have a smooth experience and not deal with assholes. Same faction griefing is something to be frowned upon, not someone complaining about same faction griefing.

Get back to me when you have something intelligent to say and a lot more tanking experience.
    Last edited by Shakou; 2017-09-07 at 09:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get back to me when you have something intelligent to say and a lot more tanking experience.
    World content is as easy as it is, i find it baffling that someone as experienced as you say you are have any problems with it. Yet again, having maxed out characters and being experienced player is a two completely different things, and you ranting over here only support this

Seriously, having a mob taunted off you and moved a bit because you can't react fast enough to taunt it back is a problem now? Not being able to *gasp* move towards mob that runs away to keep doing DPS as a MELEE?! OUTRAGEOUS! MELEE CAN'T MOVE WHILE DPSING! EVERYONE KNOWS THAT. Worst thing i've heard this week - someones follower taunting a rare mob out of corner so melee players have to move a bit to damage it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cant you just taunt it back? seems a lot easier than rewriting code.

if you're out in the world dealing with complete strangers? Just don't be an asshole for no reason at all, if that's too hard for you, you should be banned from the game. In fact blizzard used to actually ban people for doing this type of thing, because it is a form of exploiting and is considered same faction griefing, and can result in friendly player death and other problems.
    I seriously doubt Blizzard has ever made it a policy to ban people for taunting a world boss off someone else, especially since hunter pets have been doing this since the dawn of WoW. People used to kite Kazzak to Stormwind in Vanilla and Kazzak Bomb the auction house in BC without getting bans - I don't see how this is worse than either of those. You're talking about a minor inconvenience (a boss moving and as a result taking a extra few seconds to kill for a 5 person group) as if it's a serious game breaking bug.