Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Eurogamer: South Park: TFBW: Higher Difficulty = Darker Skin; MC can be trans

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...r-of-your-skin

Ubisoft's comedy RPG South Park: The Fractured but Whole features various levels of difficulty, from easy to very difficult, much like most games. What's different though is the difficulty affects the colour of your character's skin.

During the character creation section of the game, which you can see in the video below (skip to the five minutes and 40 seconds mark), you select the difficulty of the game. What's interesting is the easier the difficulty, the lighter your character's skin. Conversely, the harder the difficulty, the darker your character's skin. It means if you want to play The Fractured but Whole on a harder than normal difficulty, you have to play as a person of colour.

During the process, South Park stalwart Eric Cartman will comment: "Don't worry, this doesn't affect combat. Just every other aspect of your whole life."

Our Aoife Wilson and Chris Bratt, who captured the gameplay in the video, asked Ubisoft developers about this feature during a recent hands-on event. They were told the difficulty of the game affects the amount of money you receive and the way other characters speak to you throughout the course of the game. It is, quite clearly, a social commentary on racism in modern society, and as far as video games go, a pretty effective one.

Later in the game, The Fractured but Whole asks you to choose your character's gender. In a conversation with South Park school counsellor Mr Mackey (the "drugs are bad MKAY" guy), you must choose from three options: male, female and other. In previous South Park game A Stick of Truth, you had to play as a boy.

Our Aoife and Chris picked female. Mr Mackey ums and ahs before calling your parents, who reinforce the decision.

It turns out, if you pick a non-male character, Ubisoft will use the conversation with Mr Mackey as a smart retconning of The Stick of Truth.

"So the whole King and Stick of Truth thing, she was actually a girl the entire time?"

Mr Mackey then asks you to clarify exactly what you mean by a girl. You're then asked to select whether you identify as cisgender or transgender.

Aoife and Chris picked transgender, and Mr Mackey once again calls your parents. "It still tracks with The Stick of Truth, yes it does. She was definitely a girl the whole time. Yes of course. I get it."

You can see all this play out in the video below, from the 44 minute mark.

I think its funny and I hope they leave it alone.

Its a video game if someone doesn't like it they can skip it. South Park has always done stuff like this so it shouldn't surprise anyone.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I think its funny and I hope they leave it alone.

Its a video game if someone doesn't like it they can skip it. South Park has always done stuff like this so it shouldn't surprise anyone.
    Trey and Matt usually make something even worse or make fun of something if it's censored. Like the crying Koala over the abortion sequence in The Stick of Truth after it was censored in Australia. Or the name of the movie, Bigger, Longer, and Uncut.

Much like Far Cry 5, I'm buying this just to piss-off the Right.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    Trey and Matt usually make something even worse or make fun of something if it's censored. Like the crying Koala over the abortion sequence in The Stick of Truth after it was censored in Australia. Or the name of the movie, Bigger, Longer, and Uncut.
    Right, I'm not the biggest South Park fan (haven't watched the show in years) and even I know how the show is.

Stick of Truth tho is awesome from what I played (I need to finish it) and I will be buying TFBW if I can day 1. People who cry over this just want something to bitch about.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    But in classic South Park fashion it's poking fun at both sides... not just one.

The biggest mistake you can make is thinking they have some agenda when South Park doesn't give a crap who/what you are or which side of a fence you're from. Anything is fair game to shit on.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-09-07 at 05:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a nice touch... A very South Park way of going about something.

Interesting that they say difficulty doesn't effect combat though... I wonder how they'll balance that.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    looks like lulz to be had

God I love Trey and Matt! They might be some of the very few people in this industry who literally say whatever they want and get away with it without giving a shit about ratings, sales, people's reactions or anything else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    But what if you play as an albino ginger?

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    That's a nice touch... A very South Park way of going about something.

Interesting that they say difficulty doesn't effect combat though... I wonder how they'll balance that.
    The article does say you recieve less money and people talk to you differently.

I'm happy to inform you that the right is not racist, you're confusing us with the far right. All over this game

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    I'm happy to inform you that the right is not racist, you're confusing us with the far right. All over this game
    Don't tell him it's satire and it's making an joke at the expense of both the right and the left.
    He wouldn't be able to handle it.
    Last edited by Strangebrew; 2017-09-07 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangebrew View Post
    Don't tell him it's satire and it's making an joke at the expensexe of both the right and the left.
    No one escapes South Park.

That difficulty thing is pretty fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Right, I'm not the biggest South Park fan (haven't watched the show in years) and even I know how the show is.

Stick of Truth tho is awesome from what I played (I need to finish it) and I will be buying TFBW if I can day 1. People who cry over this just want something to bitch about.
    I feel like SJWs will get angry about this and can't take a joke, South Park is satire and I really hope we get over this ordeal of everyone getting so offended of the stupidest things.

Quote Originally Posted by gyousel View Post
    I feel like SJWs will get angry about this and can't take a joke, South Park is satire and I really hope we get over this ordeal of everyone getting so offended of the stupidest things.
    *Silly people on both ends of the spectrum will get angry about this.

Love it they should go all out on the crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangebrew View Post
    Don't tell him it's satire and it's making an joke at the expense of both the right and the left.
    I'm aware that South Park pokes fun at both sides, and I actually love the show! Satire is based off truth, so can I have what you're smoking?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because 99% of people on the Right would really care about this