Page 1 of 2
LastLast

No wonder WoW is in maintenance mode: Destiny is WoW 2

Hi guys,

So I've been following the Destiny 2 release coverage, and anyone else shocked by its similarities with WoW? I mean, if you were to show a new person both games, they'd probably think Destiny 2 was WoW with revamped graphics and combat updated to be action-oriented.

Let's point out the similarities:
    • The enemy in both games are called the Legion, and in both games you and them use spaceships to travel to and attack each other over different planets. The story of Destiny 2 could even be considered a continuation/reimagining of WoW: Draenei (blue aliens) flee to Azeroth (Earth), being guided by ethereal celestial beings (the Naaru/ the Traveller), with the Legion in pursuit.
    • Both games are class-based MMOs with multiple races. Raids are the ultimate endgame content in both games.
    • Most of the classes in Destiny 2 are named after WoW classes - warlock, hunter and have similar playstyles (e.g. warlock is all about conjuration and "voidwalking" complete with a purple-based color scheme - the classic warlock pet in WoW is the purple voidwalker tank that all leveling warlocks have learned to love-, hunter is marksmanship based).
    • Destiny 2 and WoW are both available from the Battle.net platform. WoW players are being encouraged to switch over. We get a special deal and can get the game for free via farmed WoW tokens. The switch over is very gentle, because both games have similar universes, art and playstyles (guildie in Discord said the tagline for Destiny should be: finish the fight and continue the Legion story in Destiny 2!)
    • Open world content in both Destiny 2 and WoW revolve around World Quests-related activities (called Public Events in Destiny).
    • Demon hunter added the boost/glide mechanic that awas in the original Destiny.

Just look at screenshots from each game. You can't tell me that these games don't belong in the same universe. Of course, Destiny 2 as the sequel has much shinier graphics.

No wonder WoW has been basically abandoned by the devs, no expac has been announced, and what little updates we have got for have been drip fed to us and timegated to appear larger than it is (because truthfully Broken Shore could be done in 1 hour without all the timegating).

We, the WoW community need to face up to the facts. WoW is dead and Blizzard want us to move on. Move on to their next big thing, their next big MMO Destiny 2.

Last edited by ramjb; 2017-09-07 at 10:15 PM.

Uhm it's been getting a steady stream of content.

I don't think you know what maintenance mode is.

Oh and Activision publish Destiny 2. Not Blizzard. Blizzard just agreed to let Bungie/Activision use it on the app rather than have to develop their own platform.

Deleted
    Isn't Destiny a FPS

Different companies inside the corporation... /facepalm Jesus christ. Bet you think the art department is the same department as the raid team.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Different companies inside the corporation... /facepalm Jesus christ. Bet you think the art department is the same department as the raid team.
    Well that would explain Dragon Soul.....

10+ Year Old Account
    OP is reaching, reaching far out and only getting grains of sand..

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Isn't Destiny a FPS
    MMOFPS
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Destiny isn't developed by Blizzard.

No wow xpac has been announced? You gotta realize they wait until blizzcon or maybe gamescom to announce something like that.
    As for the classes, I know warlock and hunter were classes in destiny 1. It is very easy to compare two games and make similarities.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Well that would explain Dragon Soul.....
    Touche!

/10char

Destiny 2
    Online game
    Destiny 2 is an online-only multiplayer first-person shooter video game developed by Bungie and published by Activision
    Initial release date: September 6, 2017
    Publisher: Activision
    Series: Destiny
    Genre: Action role-playing game
    Platforms: PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows
    Developers: Bungie, Vicarious Visions, High Moon Studios

So... where's Blizzard's hand in this exactly, OP? Just delete your thread, lmao.
    Last edited by iETHOSi; 2017-09-07 at 10:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Williee View Post
    No wow xpac has been announced? You gotta realize they wait until blizzcon or maybe gamescom to announce something like that.
    As for the classes, I know warlock and hunter were classes in destiny 1. It is very easy to compare two games and make similarities.
    Of course they wait till BlizzCon, expansion announcement at GamesCom was a mistake in my opinion.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Don't be daft -.-;

''Maintenance mode'' = getting an xpack with about as much content as Wrath and MoP? With patches on a schedule so consistent we've been able to predict the days that they would hit weeks in advance?

Seems like OP has never actually seen a game that's in maintenance mode.

Most clueless thing I've read in a long time.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

we already had a destiny game tho

Destiny's aesthetic I dislike a lot. Same reason I never played wildstar, mass effect or watch the Star Wars movies.

Futuristic outer space sci-fi mixed with magic and fantasy creatures. Nah no thanks.

WoW is high fantasy with bits and pieces of sci-fi. Some of the sci-fi stuff in WoW I'm iffy on like the Sentinax, but it's w/e.

As others have said: you don't understand what "maintenance mode" actually means.

The rest of your bullet points don't prove any cause & effect or connection.

I got a kick out one thing you said, though:
    Quote Originally Posted by ramjb View Post
    [*]Destiny 2 and WoW are both available from the Battle.net platform. WoW players are being encouraged to switch over. We get a special deal and can get the game for free via farmed WoW tokens.
    This actually undermines your overall point because 1) by that logic, getting Diablo 3 for free for signing up for WoW gametime was also, somehow, an attempt to get us to stop playing WoW, and 2) if the trend continues of providing items within (or access to) other games via WoW tokens, this actual incentivizes playing WoW more, not less, no?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup I heard next week WoW closes its doors forever... not even a 2 week notice... fucking rude!

You sure have a fitting forum picture.

You do understand that Destiny has nothing to do with Blizzard and WoW? Jesus Christ, is there some sort of competition for most retarded WoW bashing on MMO-Champion? We have a strong contender for first place.