Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    6v6 bgs as e-sport sounds WAY better. But arena still has to co-exist with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Helkezin View Post
    I have pretty much always loathed arena as esports. Games I have seen were either complete stomps or long snoozefests.

You really seem to take this rather personally.
    I'm always passionate about the things I love. That's why for the past 3 years I've made a living out of my hobby and moving to a mountain town in 3 weeks. People need to be passionate about stuff.

I don't think wow is an e sport, but it has competitions. And it's never that fair, which is why it's not an e-sport.

- - - Updated - - -

Overwatch is an easier thing to make an e-sport, heck the minute I saw the trailer during blizzcon 2014 or was it 2015? The second I saw it I knew it was going to be huge. I was right.

Of course Overwatch is a much better game to turn into a competitive E-Sport. It's an FPS and not an MMO, lol. This is ignoring the fact Overwatch is also a bad game for its own reasons, though.

But yes, if WoW wants to broadcast competitive PvP it absolutely should focus on Battle Grounds and not Arenas. It'd still be very awful content, but it'd be much more sensible than trying to make the game work in a 3v3 arena setting.

Arenas are very enjoyable to watch. I'm sure OP hasn't linked his character but I doubt he has been remotely close to glad.

Not everyone shares your opinion. I'm sure your tastes are in line with your skill at the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehalbino View Post
    Arenas are very enjoyable to watch. I'm sure OP hasn't linked his character but I doubt he has been over 2k lul.

Not every shares your opinion. I'm sure your tastes are in line with your skill at the game.
    A heroically made fake argument.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's not an e-sport because it cannot and will not ever be balanced enough. Esports have metas and shit but WoW is just hilariously imbalanced in PVP by comparison to anything else, even Overwatch.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    A heroically made fake argument.
    Fake yet you haven't given anything to contradict it, must be an avid CNN/NBC watcher I take it. Anyway done here, Keep boosting the viewership friend

Quote Originally Posted by Tehalbino View Post
    Fake yet you haven't given anything to contradict it, must be an avid CNN/NBC watcher I take it. Anyway done here, Keep boosting the viewership friend
    There's nothing to give. Do you want to know if I've ever been to 2k rating before? I haven't. That doesn't mean anything, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    Exactly, as I explained - the viewer did not understand what they were watching and thus finds it boring.
    Wrong on both accounts...

Getting people nearly dead and having them come back from it isn't inherently exciting. There is an extreme lack in variety of gameplay on a moment to moment basis, all of the classes are streamlined too much now and it makes it extremely boring to watch, no matter how many near-deaths there are. I enjoyed watching (and participating in) WoW arenas in the past (MoP and earlier) because the classes weren't pruned to death, I do not anymore.

That said I have always felt the pillar humping meta was stupid from the very start of Arenas in TBC, people should have to actually fight, not molest inanimate objects.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2017-09-08 at 01:09 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post
    I've been saying this shit for years. There is nothing fun about watching a bunch of healers fucking pillar hump each other for 30 fucking minutes.

An ARENA... or a coliseum, if we are talking about ancient times and its purpose, is about death and carnage. Nobody, NOBODY EVER would have been cheered or praised for running away and hiding. Yet in WoW... you win by being a cunt.

Its the same reason Mayweather is so hated... because hes a fucking pussy who runs around for an hour. Fuck him... fuck arenas.
    Mayweather seemed to ring ol boy McGregor pretty thoroughly. Just seemed like he drew the fight to get more viewers then capped it after a 40 something year old out performed a 30 year old dude.

Agreed.

But then again, I always found the to be offensively boring on account of being PVP. Although, Legion Arena seems way slow...

My WoW-esport to watch will be Mythic+ competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Killigrew View Post
    6v6 bgs as e-sport sounds WAY better. But arena still has to co-exist with it.
    Well, 6v6 is meh, it's 1 party + 1 person, it should be either 5v5 or 10v10, I'd go w/ 10v10 as the default comp size for BG tournaments, BGs are bigger, there's more objectives, 5ppl per teams isn't enough.

But it doesn't make them crowded because you don't need to watch every single person, BGs have different, much easier to follow goals. Individual players should be highlighted when they do something outstanding, MVP/PotG stuff

That's why I believe Blizz should've gone w/ BGs instead of arenas. It's competitive stuff w/ goals that are easy to understand even if one knows jackshit about PvP, it's action packed because people aren't afraid to die and TtK is in general quite low, and, lastly, comebacks are more likely to occur.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, my biggest issue with Arenas is, it's the least participated in form of PvP, by a lot, but they balance all PvP around 3v3... BGs are the most participated in type of PvP, PvP should be balanced around BGs, not Arenas.

The most participated in form of PvP should also, logically, be the E-Sports focus.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Deep down Blizzard cares about pvp because about 40-50% of the playerbase does PvP. Not 5% as the myth a lot of pve'rs tend to shout out. When WoW is even older, who do you think will still be playing it? the dragonslayers, or the pvpers?
    I imagine random BG's are pretty popular, I imagine not much else of the PVP landscape really is. Maybe a decent sliver out of that does 2's. I really, really wish Blizzard published participation numbers on activities. I'd really love to see what sort of PVE and PVP content goes ignored.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Also, my biggest issue with Arenas is, it's the least participated in form of PvP, by a lot, but they balance all PvP around 3v3... BGs are the most participated in type of PvP, PvP should be balanced around BGs, not Arenas.

The most participated in form of PvP should also, logically, be the E-Sports focus.
    That's a huge problem with WoW in general. They balance PVP on the least participated in format, pretty much ignore random BG's entirely, while also throwing RBG's under the bus for good measure, then, with PVE, they pretty much balance everything around heroic and mythic raiding, which barely anyone does.

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    People who are watching competitive events shouldn't be required to know A LOT about what they're watching to understand what's going on. They should just know the gist of it, not all the details.

Idea behind PvP is simple: two teams are trying to kill each other, domination. However, arenas are quite dull, esp pillar humping, I know it's fun to do so, but it's not fun to watch at all.

IMHO, it would be better if they used BGs for WoW PvP esport. BGs have kinds similar goal: domination, but it's achieved differently.
    Yeah, there's a reason games like League are popular; you don't need to be a Grandmaster to understand what's going on and see why a teamfight is important. You don't need to be a pro to appreciate a well landed headshot in a FPS. Having to understand all the subtleties of an Arena match before you can figure out the difference between someone who successfully baits an interrupt and someone who doesn't already makes it far less interesting for the layman. There's no visual flash, no play that makes you cheer unless you're really into that kind of thing.

This is a big ol' opinion based post, but I'll bite anyway.

Arena has been poorly designed from the very beginning, and I'm surprised Blizzard have supported it for this long. But at this point, the low amount of views doesn't necessarily mirror whether or not WoW arenas are bad, it's just why watch WoW arenas when you can watch the current eSport monsters instead, like LoL, Overwatch, DotA? They are heavily designed with eSports in mind, WoW is not. WoW is still mostly a casual game, always has been.
    "Leave your personal feedback, don't try to convince them that "everyone" hates something." - Ion Hazzikostas
    It's actually Wowhead, if I quoted directly from Ion the signature would drag out too long.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with WoW arenas is the same problem with other rated PvP, which is the same problem with serious raiding, which is the same problem with dungeons and world content.

The WoW dev team do not understand that time to kill ≠ fun.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think Arena in WoW would be infinitely better if Healers weren't in it.

When 90% of matches are "which healer pillar humped best" the spectacle as a whole is boring.

- - - Updated - - -

Deep down Blizzard cares about pvp because about 40-50% of the playerbase does PvP. Not 5% as the myth a lot of pve'rs tend to shout out. When WoW is even older, who do you think will still be playing it? the dragonslayers, or the pvpers?
    Lol ok. Who will be playing it? Mostly Rp'ers.

Honestly, i think blizzard could do awesome with creating an Arena (even if only in Brawl form), where there is just open terrain. At least it would get casters more involved than they already are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    I think Arena in WoW would be infinitely better if Healers weren't in it.

When 90% of matches are "which healer pillar humped best" the spectacle as a whole is boring.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol ok. Who will be playing it? Mostly Rp'ers.
    No healers in an MMO ? Go ask GW2 how that went for their esports where you simply spam aoe or 1shot each other. They had to add that annoying ass downed mechanic cuz of it, and WoW would have to severely nerf damage in arena or it would be the same cancer.

Legion pvp just sucks, but it's still much better than any other MMO at a high level.

I agree it can be boring for most but a very narrow audience. It's all about DRs and CDs that are quite subtle gimmicky things to be aware of an look out for if you are not a more hardcore pvper yourself. The casters try and make things clear and exciting but a viewer shouldn't have to rely on that to understand what is going on and what is exciting.