View Poll Results: Should relatives be allowed to marry?

Voters
138. This poll is closed
  • Yes

32 23.19%
  • No

73 52.90%
  • I don't care about either

29 21.01%
  • Other

4 2.90%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post
    Why not, exactly? Go on, tell me why something -- anything -- isn't relevant when legislating a law.
    You're missing the point...(deliberately?)
    Do you not know how laws become enacted to begin with?
    I'll give ya hint; it usually happens when a lot of people get pissed off.
    You really are a thick human being, aren't you?
    I suggest you consider your ignorance in law before calling names.
    "Something's taboo but probably shouldn't be? Well fine, just go tell everyone, that'll change it!!! HERP A DERP, I R BEST ARGUAR!!!"
    If you've an idea for a law how the fuck do you make it happen?

Sweet jeebus...THINK.
    But if you aren't willing to put yourself under media scrutiny, then it must not have been such a great idea to begin with.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Not all laws are created because "The People" demand it. The fact is, what two consenting adults do is none of no one else's business, even government.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    No, I'm really not.

Yes, do you?

No, it doesn't.

But if you aren't willing to put yourself under media scrutiny, then it must not have been such a great idea to begin with.
    BZZT. By your Einsteinian logic, the best way to make murder legal is to go on a serial killing spree. So go do it! It's a great idea and will totally work!!! HERP A FUCKING DERP!!!!!!

Oh, and if you get arrested (as opposed to shot on the spot -- one could only dream), be sure to tell them you're a sovereign citizen, too! HERP A DERPITY FUCKITY DERP!!!!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    And yet people with congenital disorders are allowed to procreate, unrelated... with the ever prevalent excuse of "Human rights!", whom have a significantly higher chance of producing children with the same disorder compared to incest ?

Example, Dwarfism... more so with others of the same trait... they produce a family of the same trait. We're going from "a small chance" from incest to a high likelihood of with people sharing the same traits. Why is this acceptable? We're concerned of kids being born with defects yet wilfully allow this to happen by law.

It's hypocrisy.
    Yeah, I see what you mean. I had considered people with some defects, but not with such a blatant example as two people with dwarfism. Means I didn't fully consider the depth of what it entailed, but I can totally see how the caveat would be hypocritical now.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Incest is pretty taboo is most normal nations. Surely all those nations must just be horrible evil wicked bigots for not wanting incest, yeah?
    Not everything that is taboo is illegal though, nor should it. Laws don't cover every excerpt of what society thinks is right. The very basics of what laws cover involve harm towards others (physically and financially).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I think it's gross and honestly don't care if it's because I've simply internalized societal standards regarding taboos. Your kids will most likely be effed up, you shouldn't be sleeping together let alone marrying.
    People outside of relationships can risk having deformed children due to their conditions. Women after a certain age have higher risks of chromosome related issues.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    The main concern is grooming children for sex. If marriage within the family is accepted, then I assume all forms of incest get a pass as well. This leads to a very real increase in the risk of people having and raising children purely as sex toys. In places where the age of consent is bottomless with marriage and parental consent, things get rather awful.

If incestuous sex is still unlawful, then it's less of a problem. The institute of marriage is practically meaningless now anyway.
    Sexual grooming/abuse is an issue of itselft, with or without incest legalization. Grooming exists outside the family as well, sexual abuse won't become legal if incest does.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

No, I'm really not.
    Yes, do you?
    Your posts haven't been showing either.
    No, it doesn't.
    Really? Prove it.
    BZZT. By your Einsteinian logic, the best way to make murder legal is to go on a serial killing spree. So go do it! It's a great idea and will totally work!!! HERP A FUCKING DERP!!!!!!
    Are you that thick? I posted that if you want to legislate law you need to get the scrutiny. That's how it's done.
    And wtf are you reading out of my posts?
    Is English your "other" language?
    Learn to read for fuck's sake.

Examples like "upskirting" and "Meghan's Law," are out there because people got angry and let everyone know about it. (And heaven help anyone fantasizing that they can repeal such laws)
    Last edited by Shadowferal; 2017-09-08 at 02:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Sexual grooming/abuse is an issue of itselft, with or without incest legalization. Grooming exists outside the family as well, sexual abuse won't become legal if incest does.
    Agreed, but it's easier to hide if incest is legalized.

Quote Originally Posted by zoefschildpad View Post
    The "as long as they don't produce children"-clause is a problem. What if they do get pregnant? Do we now have to force abortions on people? or worse, kill their children when they try to register them?
    And i dont get it, the government doesnt give a shit when worthless trash pops out 15 kids and goes on wellfare, why the fuck do they care if relatives have kids. Dont say its due to genetic defects becuase there isnt a ban on people with heriditory defects from reproducing.

Yes, they should. It's not like if it becomes legal tomorrow, all the people will start inbreeding. The amount of people wanting to merry in the family would be microscopic...

Deleted
    No.

Muslims marry their first cousins often. they're about 11% of the population. They are the reason for 30% of all genetic defects in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    I'm torn. Hard to decide if the amount of grooming and abuse you prevent with a law against it makes up for the deprivation of freedom. I think so, but I guess it depends what the actual figures would be and exactly how the law would look like.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure you can. Totally different issues. In both cases you're deciding on peoples rights to marry who they wish, but the rationale behind prohibiting it is very different.
    If both adults are consenting, there's literally no difference. Just because one is gross doesn't mean it should be illegal. People used to say the same thing about gay marriage.
    Last edited by crewskater; 2017-09-08 at 03:03 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crewskater View Post
    If both adults are consenting, there's literally no difference. Just because one is gross doesn't mean it shouldn't be illegal. People used to say the same thing about gay marriage.
    So a father marrying his daughter on her 18th birthday is literally the exact same thing as two men or two women meeting and marrying? No differences to consider?

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    So a father marrying his daughter on her 18th birthday is literally the exact same thing as two men or two women meeting and marrying? No differences to consider?
    If she's consenting then what's the big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    There doesn't need to this has to do with civil rights.
    Everything needs a logical reason. Civil rights or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrown View Post
    Chemical attraction.
    How is that logical?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    The Targaryens beg to differ.
    Brb, gotta fuck my aunt.

Marriage is just conceptual. Consenting adults should be allowed to marry each other as they wish without any restriction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Incest is something that humans have done lots of times in the past. There was a time in human history that the population was so low that incest is probably how we repopulated. It is disgusting but I don't think it should be disallowed to marry. Though I wouldn't allow a daughter to marry her farther or son marry his mother. Besides being vomit inducing, it also asks the question if the parent was already practicing sex with their child long before they were of age.

Also there isn't much evidence that incest creators low IQ humans. Take Ashkenazi Jews who's genetic code comes from just 350 people. The result is genetic diseases that only effect Jews, but not low IQ. Albert Einstein did marry his cousin. Royalty was also known to engage in incest, and their genetic diseases were infamous. Even Rudy Giuliani married his cousin.

I'm not saying people should do it, just saying that it isn't any different than gay marriage. If they wanna do it, then be my guest. Just be aware of the ramifications you have and your children will have genetically.

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/s...emium-1.614893

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't support incest relationships, I think it's pretty gross but I also don't support telling people what they can and cannot do with their own life, it's none of our business what somebody chooses to do with their life. It's the same exact thing as gay marriage. Who are you to say that two men/women can't get married? It's none of your business, it's not your life so why do you care? Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it should be illegal. I hate when people wear their pants down to their knees so does that mean it should be illegal and anyone caught wearing their pants like that should be fined or even put in jail? No, that would sound stupid right? Well that's how this sounds.

I just think when it comes down to someone's personal life it should be no one's business other than that person's. Not the government's, not yours, not his, not hers, and not mine. If brother and sister, mom and son, dad and daughter, uncle and niece, aunt and nephew, cousin and cousin, and whatever else want to get married let them. Who gives a fuck? Is it affecting your life? No. They're probably tucked away in some trailer in the woods not bothering anybody so why should anyone care?