Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    reported, nation bashing and forbidden topics. Not enough puppies. Too many feelings hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by d00mGuArD View Post
    US universities are ranked in the top by all ranking measures.
    People from all over the world, go to US for studies even with its ridiculous pricing
    There are more than 350 Nobel laureates from US
    Surely they must be doing something right.

In any case, it is FAR FAR FAR from the "worst system known to science". The rankings alone, suggest it is one of the best
    University rankings tell you close to nothing about the quality of your education system. These rankings largely factor in research output and quality of research, and going by the pricing of US university, you just buy the staff to get those numbers up.

People go for famousuniversities, just because the name opens a lot of doors. They pay the many upfront, because it makes life much easier afterwards.

Per Capita, US ranks below several european countries in terms of Nobel laureates.

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    Indoctrination in what?
    Like the Earth is flat and climate change doesn't exist.

Only in alt-right schools and institutions though.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    it's pretty weird for people all over the world to come to our country for school when we have the worst educational system.
    Having a few good schools does not mean the system is good.
    Most students never have a chance to even go near thoes.

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Like the Earth is flat and climate change doesn't exist.
    Nonsense. We clearly now know the Earth to be banana shaped.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Having a few good schools does not mean the system is good.
    Most students never have a chance to even go near thoes.
    It's like, you could rate a school from 0-100 and the higher the number, the better the school.

The US may be the only nation with a school or two scoring a perfect 100 rating, but every other school in the nation scores below 50.

In the meantime, other developed nations have only schools that score a minimum of 70, they just don't have schools that score 100.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I think a lot of ambitious poor people in poorer countries see education as the path to wealth and prosperity.

The US has the H1-B visa program where a poor man in India say, can work really hard at school, come to the US and make a ton of money. The US benefits from his genius.

I don't think the US educational system is broken. If you take that poor man in India and transplant him to the US, he does just as well.

The problem is our students often don't want to learn STEM stuff for a variety of reasons. But if you do want to learn STEM the system is there that allows you to learn it.
    If you have the time can you explain this again, I'm not sure I understood. Are you suggesting that anyone who works hard, in the American education system or the Indian, will have the same opportunities after graduating, if they move to America?

Or that the American system isn't broken because there is still plenty of opportunity to make money at the end of it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    it's pretty weird for people all over the world to come to our country for school when we have the worst educational system.
    IS that what is happening (in the cases of primary and secondary education at least)? Or is it that parents move to America and educate their child locally?

Obviously in the case of higher/further education (college/university) the decision is based on the establishment. Can't imagine many people are relocating across the globe to get some of that tasty school education, and I'm also assuming all the "good" schools have boarding facilities for international students...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

It's like, you could rate a school from 0-100 and the higher the number, the better the school.

The US may be the only nation with a school or two scoring a perfect 100 rating, but every other school in the nation scores below 50.

In the meantime, other developed nations have only schools that score a minimum of 70, they just don't have schools that score 100.
    Well, most nations have schools that reach "100" as well only you can't always just pay a silly amount of money and bypass the queueu there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Well, most nations have schools that reach "100" as well only you can't always just pay a silly amount of money and bypass the queueu there.
    Well, you do get my point either way.

It's like comparing a savant with prodigious piano playing but can't take care of themselves in daily life, versus an all-rounder who can do a variety of mid to high end jobs while being self-sufficient.

Generally this, though not quite as exaggerated. There are a decent number of quality schools, probably the bulk fall in the median range, and a decent number (yes, far too many) that fall on the bottom.

The two basic problems are that this is almost entirely gated by where you live as far as what district you end up falling in (especially in suburbs/cities), and the baseline education available skews to a large amount from state to state.

Last I checked the US lands solid middle developed countries in terms of k-12 and top ten for colleges.

We'd be higher in k-12 if education was treated culturally as it with Asian countries or we could selectively educate and didn't base #'s on educating absolutely everyone. It is not uncommon for students with lower academic abilities either not to enter high school or be directed to trade schools in many countries.

We take a lot of flack but a lot of educational research is actually done in the USA. It has the tendency to be very trend based on buzzwords and interfered with by politicians that may have good intentions but poor understanding. Really though if you have observed a class or two of those super high performing countries, quality of instruction isn't really the difference, it has more to do with the students.

And indoctrination centers? Come off, the average teacher is liberal, the average principal does not want to touch and will reprimand a teacher for trying to spread their political or religious opinions. The modern Hitler Youth group we are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    When you consider how many Americans believe in intelligent design and creation fairy tales, yes, i think he is very right! One of the problems is the states that are trying to put alternative facts into there curriculum.
    You don't even need to involve this. As an American who learned about a bunch of garbage that I don't remember and pissed my schooling never taught me things that everyone should know, I can definitely attest to America having the worst education ever.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as public school are concerned it also varies wildly by state and municipality. If you go to say the nicer (wealthier) areas of New Jersey, New York, or Connecticut they probably have some of the best public schools in the world. Conversely, if you go see public schools in rural Oklahoma or Mississippi it'll likely be damn near third world and they'll teach creationism along with evolution.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    If you have the time can you explain this again, I'm not sure I understood. Are you suggesting that anyone who works hard, in the American education system or the Indian, will have the same opportunities after graduating, if they move to America?

Or that the American system isn't broken because there is still plenty of opportunity to make money at the end of it?

In the video the guy talks about the H1-B visa system. I was elaborating on that. I don't think the amount of H1-B holders is the fault of US schools as much as it's the fault of US students who don't want to go into STEM fields. We need STEM and they have to come from somewhere. 800,000 people born in Canada now work in the US and most of these are STEM people and it's remarkable since Canada only has like 34 million people.

There are 2,440,000 H1-B visa holders in the US and most of those are from India and China. Many times these people wouldn't have become successful without coming to the US so its win win.

So US schools are fine, what we need is a way of motivating people to go into STEM.

When a poor Indian or Chinese family comes to the US, the children do exceptionally well in school and break the poverty cycle immediately. Education is a big thing in those homes.
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2017-09-09 at 01:59 PM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Well, you do get my point either way.

It's like comparing a savant with prodigious piano playing but can't take care of themselves in daily life, versus an all-rounder who can do a variety of mid to high end jobs while being self-sufficient.
    Oh, for sure.

If the atheists on this thread are considered the educated and rational among us, then yes I would agree the US is a nation of idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    As far as public school are concerned it also varies wildly by state and municipality. If you go to say the nicer (wealthier) areas of New Jersey, New York, or Connecticut they probably have some of the best public schools in the world. Conversely, if you go see public schools in rural Oklahoma or Mississippi it'll likely be damn near third world and they'll teach creationism along with evolution.
    Urban vs rural varies too though (again state dependent). From various conversations on education over the years on here I've seen where people describe their education, the rural education I got in the Midwest is likely much better than average suburban districts in the deep south. But people have their preconceptions and many would probably write off any rural education as worthless.

US worst country. Yet, people are killing to get here. Though some of them are killing to get here to kill... but still they want to get here. Thats my point.
    AMD Build: | CPU: FX-9590 OEM 8-Core(4.7 GHz) Black Edition | GPU: STRIX R9 380 2GB(x1) | Ram: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Main: Samsung 850 500GB | BU: WDC Caviar Blue 2TB(x2) | Power: Corsair CX500 | Mobo: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 [Old faithful!]

Now my living room center piece and open case HTPC.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaesebrezen View Post
    University rankings tell you close to nothing about the quality of your education system. These rankings largely factor in research output and quality of research, and going by the pricing of US university, you just buy the staff to get those numbers up.

People go for famousuniversities, just because the name opens a lot of doors. They pay the many upfront, because it makes life much easier afterwards.

Per Capita, US ranks below several european countries in terms of Nobel laureates.
    european award goes mainly to europeans? no way

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogguh View Post
    If the atheists on this thread are considered the educated and rational among us, then yes I would agree the US is a nation of idiots.
    Those durned atheists. Fuckin satan worshipers.