Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I think, as someone who admits to being a Nintendo fan, they need, I repeat, NEED to find the line between "being different" and "adapting change".

You can still make unique systems like the Switch, or the Wii, while implementing features that other companies have been using like achievements, and improving online features (FRIEND CODES STILL WHY). You can still make couch multiplayer games like Mario Party while making games that benefit stronger from online play (Which they seem to finally be getting with Splatoon and Arms even). You don't need to sacrifice what's considered the basics on other platforms.

Although, that's basically what you're saying anyway it seems.
    Yeah, the FC deal makes me literally laugh out loud. Like, for reals? You guys still have this?

The Switch is an awesome system and actually has garnered more of my love and time out of me than the Xbox One or PS4. Considering I thought the Wii was a grandiose piece of shit and refused to even go near the Wii U that's impressive. Just give me some apps like Netflix, Youtube, rework the friend system(which maybe coming next year anyway) and achievements... I'll be happy as a clam. All things Nintendo can readily do.

That's with the looming issue of storage space. I'm still baffled though as to why they couldn't at the very least design the system to be operable in console mode with an attached external drive of some sort rather than 100% reliant on the cards. I understand the portable side of it. Not the base itself. Thing is basically just a cheap, glorified charging port you could've easily added some additional functionality to.

If Nintendo would just marry it's old school philosophy of games being, you know, actual games(and not just glorified tech demos as the other two consoles tend to devolve into) while bringing together standard staples of the industry they'd be a powerhouse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/la.../1100-6453230/

Well that's not good. TLDR for those who don't want to read the article, basically the physical copy of the Switch version of the LA Noire remaster will be 10 more dollars than on PS4 or Xbox One. The digital version is 40 dollars on all platforms, the physical version of the Xbox One and PS4 versions will be 40 as well, but the Switch physical version will be 50.

They cite the increased production costs of cartridges over discs for the reason for the increase in price. There are a lot of Switch exclusive features but seeing as the digital version costs the same on all platforms it certainly is production that caused this increased price.

This could honestly be bad for Nintendo and third parties going forward. Not only are they going to have to approach Switch development differently than Xbox One and PS4, but the production costs will be higher as well.
    Yup, price for NANDs and RAM recently (as in the past year) increased in price due to a global shortage. Most consumer products saw a 30-40% increase, even from those that are vertically integrated like Crucial and Samsung. Memory prices increased by basically 100% on consumer end. Shortage is expected to end next year at some point...

do you guys think if noir sells well they might port gta 5 to switch? it would probably have the same space issue as noir but theres no reason the switch couldnt handle a port of the 360/ps3 version
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    do you guys think if noir sells well they might port gta 5 to switch? it would probably have the same space issue as noir but theres no reason the switch couldnt handle a port of the 360/ps3 version
    Nope GTA V on The Switch is not going to happen.

Its not going to happen for the same reason they stopped supporting it on 360/ps3. Rockstar loves making money off of GTAO and the limited hardware of last gen couldn't handle all the updates they have done.

The same apply's to the Switch.

At most you could hope for a GTAV that just has story mode I guess. Breath of the Wild has performance issues and most of its world is empty. I really don't want to see how badly GTAV would run on it.

If by some chance they did make it for The Switch a 50GB+ SD card would be needed.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Nope GTA V on The Switch is not going to happen.

Its not going to happen for the same reason they stopped supporting it on 360/ps3. Rockstar loves making money off of GTAO and the limited hardware of last gen couldn't handle all the updates they have done.

The same apply's to the Switch.

At most you could hope for a GTAV that just has story mode I guess. Breath of the Wild has performance issues and most of its world is empty. I really don't want to see how badly GTAV would run on it.

If by some chance they did make it for The Switch a 50GB+ SD card would be needed.
    gta v didnt have performance issues on 360 and ps3 why would it have issues on switch?

i dont care about gta online. a port of just the base game is all im talking about.

me and my nephew just beat ocarina of time and now were playing gta san andreas and its making me kind of want a gta style game on my switch
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

gta v didnt have performance issues on 360 and ps3 why would it have issues on switch?
    Ummm yes it did it had a lot of performance issues and even PS4/XB1 had performance issues (to a much lesser extent).

With all the particle effects and so on that can go on, Ya the Switch will have performance issues. Barely anything happen's in BOTW and it has performance issues (not as bad as release tho). GTAV would be much worse and even more so the online part when you got people blowing shit up in jets all day.

Also once again if it did get a port a 50GB+ SD card would be needed (25GB SD if its just SP).
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

1) LA Noire isn't going to sell well. It didn't set the world on fire first time around, it's certainly not going to do it the second time around.

2) If they wanted to port GTAV it would have nothing to do with LA Noire. Different dev teams. Different games entirely, LA Noire is nothing like GTA and you sound like you don't understand it by even comparing them. LA Noire was developed by Team Bondai, and the port is probably being out sourced to God knows who. GTA is developed by Rockstar North and Rockstar North has handled every single port of the game.

Waste of money.

10+ Year Old Account
    LA Noire was fun, but I will not get it on the Switch. I rarely buy games at full price. I generally wait for sales, special deals, etc, etc.

Nintendo games hardly go on sale, even if its a third party game. A couple may get a sale like Monster Hunter or Bayonetta, and no it has nothing to do with "value"

I can go to Gamestop right now and find games for PS4 an XBoxOne at a fraction of the original cost. Nintendo games? No. 10 bucks off the most for a game that is a few years old.... the PS4/XB1 games though? 20 bucks total for former triple aaaayyy games or less for games over a year old.
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2017-09-09 at 09:18 PM.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwi...laser/dmqln8m/

Lichtspeer devs during an AMA on r/NintendoSwitch said Nintendo is working on an achievement system.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post

Lichtspeer devs during an AMA on r/NintendoSwitch said Nintendo is working on an achievement system.
    While good if true, Its something that should have been there ages ago (with the 3DS/Wii U if not even with the Wii).

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post

This shit should be taken with a gigantic grain of salt since the developer sounds like an idiot lumping in leader boards and achievement system together.

Leader boards are usually in game on a game by game basis not something the platform does by default. Sonic Mania and other Switch games have leader boards.

Leader boards and achievements literally have nothing to do with each other(outside of the obvious of having some achiev that would require X rank on leaderboard). Dude lumps them together and an entire reddit takes it as confirmation Nintendo is working on an achievement system? GTFO, that's why r/NS is considered a joke to most.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Ummm yes it did it had a lot of performance issues and even PS4/XB1 had performance issues (to a much lesser extent).

With all the particle effects and so on that can go on, Ya the Switch will have performance issues. Barely anything happen's in BOTW and it has performance issues (not as bad as release tho). GTAV would be much worse and even more so the online part when you got people blowing shit up in jets all day.

Also once again if it did get a port a 50GB+ SD card would be needed (25GB SD if its just SP).
    jt i dont think you have any idea what i said.

are you trying to say the switch cannot handle the 360 and ps3 versions of the game at the same performance that the 360 and ps3 got out of the game? despite the switch even in handheld mode being more powerful than those systems?

the 360 and the ps3 can run gta v, the switch can run gta 5. why are you arguing this? there is nothing the 360 and ps3 can do that the switch cannot run just as well and in every case run it better because it is stronger.

the question is not can the switch run gta v because it can, its whether or not rockstar will.

so stop posting videos, stop talking about fps and all that bullshit nobody gives a fuck im talking about the 360 and ps3 version of the game, the same version of the game that was completely fine for everyone else when the game first came out and millions of people still play everyday because theyre poor and suck at life

jt i dont think you have any idea what i said.

are you trying to say the switch cannot handle the 360 and ps3 versions of the game at the same performance that the 360 and ps3 got out of the game? despite the switch even in handheld mode being more powerful than those systems?

the 360 and the ps3 can run gta v, the switch can run gta 5. why are you arguing this? there is nothing the 360 and ps3 can do that the switch cannot run just as well and in every case run it better because it is stronger.

the question is not can the switch run gta v because it can, its whether or not rockstar will.

so stop posting videos, stop talking about fps and all that bullshit nobody gives a fuck im talking about the 360 and ps3 version of the game, the same version of the game that was completely fine for everyone else when the game first came out and millions of people still play everyday because theyre poor and suck at life
    Sorry but do you have a source that millions still play GTA 5 on 360/PS3? Otherwise don't make a claim you cannot back up. Online is actually their main focus since the content updates are focused on that. And 360/PS3 versions if I recall were discontinued.

And really you are going to first make a claim millions play on previous gen then claim the reason is because of their financial status or they "suck at life" in a snarky comment like that? Get a grip. Maybe I would have taken you seriously if you hadn't made such a snarky comment like that.

And please the Switch would have a heart attack at 720P trying to run the iteration made for the modern generation. And Brig is kind of wrong for comparing a last gen version of a game to a console made for the current gen for starters anyway.

PS3/360 versions are toned down. The version you want to be comparing is the current gen version since the Switch is a current generation console.

The Switch could probably handle a toned down version. But I highly doubt it wouldn't stutter at 1080P.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-09-10 at 05:11 AM.

so stop posting videos, stop talking about fps and all that bullshit nobody gives a fuck im talking about the 360 and ps3 version of the game.
    Awww did someone get upset when they was proven wrong.
    and I quote.
    I proved this to be bullshit and explained in great detail on how the switch would have issues. I also explained why Rockstar will NOT prot GTAV to The Switch. Rockstar loves making money off of GTAO and The Switch wouldn't be able to handle the amount of bullshit that goes on in GATO.

Hell the PS4/XB1 has performance issues at times, What do you think would happen to the Switch when its a MUCH weaker system.

As for people not caring about performance and frame rates, Clearly many do and its why Digital Foundry puts out videos of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    And Brig is kind of wrong for comparing a last gen version of a game to a console made for the current gen for starters anyway..
    I didn't 100% compare it to last gen, I even said PS4/XB1 has performance issues as well but they are not as bad. I also brought in the fact the other open world game on The Switch (BOTW) has performance issues and there is barely anything on the screen.

All the partial effects that go on in both SP and Online would cause it to have issues.

Lets ignore performance for a moment tho, If GTA V was ported over to The Switch it would outright require a 25GB SD card if not more. The PS4 version with everything installed is over 80GB. The max the Switch carts hold is 32GB, So even if they cut out the MP it will still require a SD card for SP.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    It does hurt the platform, because those who enjoy achievements are now missing them.

Why buy Sonic Mania on the Switch if you can get it literally anywhere else and have an achievement system to play with? Congratz, now your potential buy of Sonic Mania moved to another platform instead of the Switch.
    Because Switch is portable.

Achievement boxes aren't.

Portability >>>>>>> epeen points.
    Last edited by Lahis; 2017-09-10 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Because Switch is portable.

Achievement boxes aren't.

Portability >>>>>>> epeen points.
    Why not have both?

I don't get your logic here. It's perfectly fine and sound for yourself on a personal level, sure, but to be applied as some absolute towards a console that could clearly benefit from it? Need to do better than, "Because I said." For me, achievements aren't about ego stroking so much as they're that sweet little tidbit for a hardcore completionist like myself or so many others.

They simply add value to the existing product.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    Why not have both?

I don't get your logic here. It's perfectly fine and sound for yourself on a personal level, sure, but to be applied as some absolute towards a console that could clearly benefit from it? Need to do better than, "Because I said." For me, achievements aren't about ego stroking so much as they're that sweet little tidbit for a hardcore completionist like myself or so many others.

They simply add value to the existing product.
    He was saying there is no reason to get Sonic Mania (or any equal multiplatform game) on Switch because there is no achievements.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Outside of WoW, where some achievements have actual ingame rewards, I have never looked into a game's achievement list. Pointless shit with no use at all.

- - - Updated - - -

There literally were no models before Gen 6. They used sprites. Gens 6 and 7 use same hardware, so no need to update the existing 721 models.

With Switch they can reuse skeletons and animations, but I'm sure every model, and especially every texture, will be upscaled.

- - - Updated - - -

WoW is also a single game that has run on same engine for over 15+ years. Old models have always been in active use in old areas.
    I think it's unfair to call it the same engine...it's constantly being worked on that it probably looks nothing like it originally was. That's like saying all Unreal Engines are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    I think it's unfair to call it the same engine...it's constantly being worked on that it probably looks nothing like it originally was. That's like saying all Unreal Engines are the same.
    It is the same engine. It is made iteratively better, but it's core is still the same.