Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post

Don't be dumbasses - World War 2 happened less than a century ago.
    Communists exist to this day and are still killing people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    I understand the reasoning behind it. As I said, I know also that it's not just "some poor dude".

Prison is usually the last resort because these people don't learn to follow the law otherwise. The thing also is that right-wing extremists are not just "poor victims" but sustain quite a network as well where they help out eachother. If it would just be a fine they could do this endlessly as they would get support from their comrades. This isn't just a made up thing because this is exactly how things were handled for a long time here and that's why they became more open and daring again because the democratic state proved to be a toothless tigre being blind on the right eye.
    We are talking about ideas and hand gestures right? I feel to see how any hand gesture, while the guy is dressed not to be obscene, can trigger people so hard. But then again I feel that the majority of people living in set countries, Germany and Austria have the cognitive status of a teenager, even more when it comes to nazism, regardless the fact that they are not blame and that nazims is last centurie's history, aka long gone.

Repeat offender. He never saw this unfairness coming though.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ForLoveOfMe View Post
    We are talking about ideas and hand gestures right?
    No we are not. Neither gestures nor ideas are forbidden or illegal. What is forbidden is propagation of the nazi ideology.

That's the whole point of this conviction. If you want to beat this strawman further, be my guest, but be mindful that what you're talking about and the law here are two very different things.

Also: Nice nation bashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Why, he was a freedom fighter.
    Freedom fighter? Communists are freedom fighters now?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    People dying or violence doesn't make something inherently evil.
    Hahaha, communists aren't some saints that will spare you if you don't agree with them. They're inherently evil. They'll kill you for dissenting. They'll kill you for resisting.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Also: Nice nation bashing.
    When set nation get's triggered by a hand gasture, it's not nation bashing it's called pointing it out.

Deleted
    regardless the fact that they are not blame and that nazims is last centurie's history, aka long gone.
    Except for the fact that there many people that lived and fought during that period are still alive, sure.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Except for the fact that there many people that lived and fought during that period are still alive, sure.
    Barely alive you mean and they have zero power and lucidity due to their age, minimum 80 years to be able to have been a kid during WW2. If we are talking about saving grandpa/grandma feelings, person that are 80+ yo, I think Germany is a lost cause.

ps: There are about 4mill over 80 yo people in Germany. Country pop: 82mill.

Deleted
    Barely alive you mean and they have zero power and lucidity due to their age, minimum 80 years to be able to have been a kid during WW2. If we are talking about saving grandpa/grandma feelings, person that are 80+ yo, I think Germany is a lost cause.

ps: There are about 4mill over 80 yo people in Germany. Country pop: 82mill.
    So, you do agree that you were wrong with "long gone" statement?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    So, you do agree that you were wrong with "long gone" statement?
    Nop. Age expectancy now in Germany is 81-84. The 80+ people living now are just a fraction of their generation. Catering to them, to not hurt their feels is stupdi, just as the "think of the children" argument purists and religious people have.

15+ Year Old Account
    We are talking about ideas and hand gestures right? I feel to see how any hand gesture, while the guy is dressed not to be obscene, can trigger people so hard. But then again I feel that the majority of people living in set countries, Germany and Austria have the cognitive status of a teenager, even more when it comes to nazism, regardless the fact that they are not blame and that nazims is last centurie's history, aka long gone.
    No, this isn't just a "for the lulz" trigger move. We've seen such moves in the past and we just facepalmed and moved on. The difference here is people trying to erode principles and the application of laws by repeating the same offense because they can which sets a difference to "for the lulz" people who are just trying to be daring and would rather not repeat it. The repeat offenders which are caught usually think the idea is alive and well and think it can literally coexist in an open democratic society while providing the anti-thesis to both: open and democratic.

With that said it should be clear that the idea is not dead at all. We even have underground nazi think tanks like Deutsches Kolleg working on a time after democracy in Germany and Austria. They are making sure that the new young generation gets a distilled form of the essence of the old Nazi ideology so they may transcend it into a new one. Those plebs on the street doing the greeting, or as I witnessed yesterday myself in my state capitol, doing it en masse, are often allowed to do so without repercussions already because reporting counts as "utterly bad behaviour" in Germany, and they are usually counted as "cheap support" by those who actually want this ideology to "shine" again.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

15+ Year Old Account
    Nop. Age expectancy now in Germany is 81-84. The 80+ people living now are just a fraction of their generation. Catering to them, to not hurt their feels is stupdi, just as the "think of the children" argument purists and religious people have.
    What the hell are you talking about "caterin to them, to not hurt their feels"?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Romania was part of the Axis forces, how do your elderly folk feel about their facist past?
    Quite positive. They would pick a nazi soldier any day over a russian soldier. It's heavy romanticized and the majority of ethnics germans here supported nazy Germany. But that's not the issue, since also have any facist law that applyes to both communism and nazism.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    What the hell are you talking about "caterin to them, to not hurt their feels"?
    What's the point of the law and who is the nazi salute hooligan offending? The nation state? The history? The opposite team? There is a point where laws needs to be changed because they are useless and are used to jail people like this.\

Does he deserve to get punished? Yes!

Does he deserve to get actual jail time? Nop.

ps: Comming from a country where I've seen people and there are real cases of DUI that killed people, families, getting no jail time just giant fine/reimbursment to the victims.

When set nation get's triggered by a hand gasture, it's not nation bashing it's called pointing it out.
    I just can't see any reason why Austria would be upset about Nazis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I just can't see any reason why Austria would be upset about Nazis.
    It's past history. Laws should reflect reality and should be updated. Same way why US has "crazy state laws" that never get used because they are arhaic.

I don't see how this helps the guy, it will just radicalized him even more.

It's past history.
    They're making sure it stays history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

15+ Year Old Account
    What's the point of the law and who is the nazi salute hooligan offending? The nation state? The history? The opposite team? There is a point where laws needs to be changed because they are useless and are used to jail people like this.\
    The point of the law is to not have history repeat itself. What is to gain from letting people propagate nazism?

What about this law is useless? I mean, if you can find me something inherent solely with nazism that is worth fighting for you might have a point.

Does he deserve to get punished? Yes!

Does he deserve to get actual jail time? Nop.
    Repeat offenders should get jail time yes.

ps: Comming from a country where I've seen people and there are real cases of DUI that killed people, families, getting no jail time just giant fine/reimbursment to the victims.
    aha?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    I have to say I'm surprised to hear Romania thinks fondly on its facist past.
    Well what would you prefer be allied to Nazi Germany (and keep your sovereignty) or being occupied and starved by the Soviet Union?