Poll: Is this GM a Hypocrite in YOUR opinion?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roudene View Post
    The first check for example. Haris Pilton is an obvious reference to a real person. So is Gordon Tramsay.
    Are those not NPCs? Regardless, the TOS are the rules we have to follow, if we dont like the rules we have the option of going someplace else... It really is that simple.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, stirring up trouble then feigning ignorance. It doesn't quite work when you make it as obvious as he did. It's as annoying as those 18 year olds acting like wannabe lawyers when they get pulled over.

It's a violation because of gender politics and it's a violation of making a name off fragmented sentences. The latter might be arguable, but the former is open and shut.

Helpful tip: If you want to willingly break the rules then try to find loopholes, you might not want to try it in a game. Blizzard doesn't need a court. They can ban you whenever and for whatever they want.

TL;DR - Guy tried to be clever and it blew up in his face. GG.

- - - Updated - - -

The first check for example. Haris Pilton is an obvious reference to a real person. So is Gordon Tramsay.
    ToS refers to players, not NPCs, no? It wouldn't make sense to extend it to NPCs. Players and, by extension, creatures that are named by the player.

Just checked, it quite literally refers to players, so no 'violation'. Comparing an NPC to player was silly to begin with, anyways.
    Last edited by Lime; 2017-09-10 at 11:47 AM.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post

ToS refers to players, not NPCs, no? It wouldn't make sense to extend it to NPCs. Players and, by extension, creatures that are named by the player.

Just checked, it quite literally refers to players, so no 'violation'. Comparing an NPC to player was silly to begin with, anyways.
    Even so I reported someone named after katyperry for years and nothing was done about it (48 characters with that name on EU armory).

So it seems it's not that high priority. (minor violation), still this is 100% the same as their Britnyspears example pretty much

Meanwhile someone named Heatler got removed from a BG and instantly forced to be name changed. (serious / severe violation)

All the 1000s of Illidan demon hunter variations are violating the rules as well (serious violation)
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-09-10 at 12:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RippedLife View Post
    inb4 they get rid of the genders in character creation

ur totall in the right OP, blizzard just has tiny balls and dont wanna make the SJW crowd mad
    Quite sure that the one causing the problem about the name, is the SJW.

- - - Updated - - -

Not the same. ToS is us, we, the players. We sign it to be able to play the game. The ToS counts for the people getting access to their content. That is how rules work.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    Even so I reported someone named after katyperry for years and nothing was done about it (48 characters with that name on EU armory).

So it seems it's not that high priority. (minor violation), still this is 100% the same as their Britnyspears example pretty much

Meanwhile someone named Heatler got removed from a BG and instantly forced to be name changed. (serious / severe violation)
    Just because there is X amount of names, doesn't mean they'll all be forced a rename because one is reported. Sadly, the naming report system is automated. The example of this thread is a manual investigation because the 'twogenders' guys didn't adhere to their warning but just added another letter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stevan021 View Post
    My point is that it could mean a vast array of things but the GM chooses to make it mean the worst thing possible just so they could enforce a ban. That isn't cool.
    Except, the GM didn't start the problem. The player was almost with a 98% rate, reported by players and triggered a automated warning + name change. That is how it works. Now, the player then decides to not take it serious and just adds another letter. That triggers a manual investigation, that is where the GM comes in play after the player basically didn't listen the first time.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Just because there is X amount of names, doesn't mean they'll all be forced a rename because one is reported. Sadly, the naming report system is automated. The example of this thread is a manual investigation because the 'twogenders' guys didn't adhere to their warning but just added another letter.
    I know that this thread is about a repeat case, and that name reporting is on individual basis.

What I find annoying is that you can't report a name unless you physically see the character in game or chat.

Doing a /who doesn't allow you to report them... so that lets people get away with things much much easier...

Now I suppose that's done for reasons of "oh you don't see the person in your gameplay or chat, they might as well not exist", and it's also likely done to cut down on the number of reports.
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-09-10 at 12:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    I know that this thread is about a repeat case, and that name reporting is on individual basis.

What I find annoying is that you can't report a name unless you physically see the character in game or chat.

Doing a /who doesn't allow you to report them... so that lets people get away with things much much easier...

Now I suppose that's done for reasons of "oh you don't see the person in your gameplay or chat, they might as well not exist", and it's also likely done to cut down on the number of reports.
    Oh, I know how you feel with that but I think the safety is there to avoid troll reports and such. I mean, you can do so now if you see it but I have a fear it would be worse if they could just pick a name.

As well, sadly there isn't any counter punishment for fake reports which I think there should be.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Actually the name is against the rules because it is comprised of words

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing you have to remember is that his fellow players reported his original name. That name was found to be in violation of the naming policy. He renamed it to the same name with one extra letter. His fellow players reported him again. He was force name changed due to his response to his original violation compounded with his second violation.

If you don't like the rules you have to agree to in order to play the game, then don't click on the "I Agree" button when it asks you to. That way, you can't play the game and ruin it for others who do follow Blizzard's rules.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

What type of server is the issue on? know for rp ones it wouldn't fly cause it's not a name.

regardless of the status of 'twogenders' you did break the tos and a commonly known rule about name changes when you simply added an 'o', which resulted in your 24hr ban and subsequent rename.

im pretty sure if enough players report your name you will be asked to change it regardless of its status as name violation.

on top of all of that, when you agreed to blizzards terms before you started playing, you agreed to each and every rule and regulation blizzard comes up with. the character you play you are renting, it belongs to blizzard, and really than can name it what they want. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    Third rule broken: Negatively refer to any aspect of sexual orientation pertaining to themselves or other players (Severe Violation).
    While I agree he's an idiot, the name had nothing to do with this. Sexual orientation and gender identification are different things.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Yep its equalvalent of a calling another man the F word but i'll stop treading OT here and put you on ignore.
    I have tried my hardest and I have no idea what the hell the this F word you speak of that would insult an adult man... But I guess it's all part of that world of problems you imagined.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dylansp View Post
    While I agree he's an idiot, the name had nothing to do with this. Sexual orientation and gender identification are different things.
    I can't see how it NEGATIVELY refers to whatever in the first place. Seriously, we'll soon face global word bans at that rate. People get offended by every single word nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by stevan021 View Post
    "twogenders" doesn't sound inflamatory at all. I suppose some mean it means "THERE ARE ONLY 2 GENDERS LETS KILL ALL TRANS!!!" but it could also just be referencing 2 out of many genders or saying that they are in a relationship with someone of a different gender hence they are two genders.

My point is that it could mean a vast array of things but the GM chooses to make it mean the worst thing possible just so they could enforce a ban. That isn't cool.
    A classic example of someone feigning ignorance to appear innocent and the victim when they know very well what they were doing. If you seriously believe, in today's social climate, that the OP in any way meant the name to be anything but derogatory or mocking, then you're either entirely ignorant or (the more likely possibility) also a bigot yourself.

This is virtually the same thing as calling someone a faggot and then feigning ignorance that you just meant to call them a cigarette or bundle of sticks tied together.

There was a guy in our guild who had been named "Streekapish" from Vanilla until WOTLK when he got reported by someone who I presume didn't like him, and Blizzard forced a name change on him because the person who reported it I assume claimed it was inappropriate.. The name doesn't mean anything, is just some nickname the guy used. Blizzard doesn't need excuses to force you to change your name, usually someone complains they are triggered and Blizzard will do it regardless of whether the name breaks any rules or not.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    No not really.

You broke the rules of a game and you were punished. You could have easily thrown together a random name. I find it hard to believe you added the second O purely because you needed to get back in the raid.
    I certainly agree with this insight. I also don't understand why this poll was up in the first place..
    World of Warcraft (Retail): Frostmourne - Alliance
    World of Warcraft (Classic): Remulos - Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by Tutorialblox View Post

Basically, if you do or say anything against their beliefs you will have action taken against you.

Makes perfect sense right?

I'm a fair guy though, so let's have a friendly discussion!

Is this GM a Hypocrite in YOUR opinion?
    You already judge the GM. How can you say you are fair? It does not look like you have considered Blizzard position.

Deleted
    Where is my Helicopter Gender option in WoW?!

Is this why real tickets take so long , should just auto change its name and ban if they pick a dumb name again

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutorialblox View Post
    So someone on the wow forums posted this link, asking how his name was not allowed.

Chat with the GM

Well, it dawned on me that this GM's words about "Gender identity not being for kids 12 and under" are contradictory to the fact, that this game has "suggestive content" that actually showcases this sort of thing to its players, which leads me to believe that the GM is full of shit.

For example, quests such as Unlikely Seduction, a quest about an NPC named Levia Laurence, who is depicted as being into fucking hot female demon ladies, show us gender identity; yet a player name called Twogenders is bad for some odd reason?

Hmm weird...

Oh wait no, twogenders actually goes against their belief in 63 genders! Yeah well, I guess saying there are only 2 genders might turn kids into homophobic haters or something... LOL

Basically, if you do or say anything against their beliefs you will have action taken against you.

Makes perfect sense right?

I'm a fair guy though, so let's have a friendly discussion!

Is this GM a Hypocrite in YOUR opinion?
    No. The GM is given instructions to make sure you change your name. The Gm is supposed to tell you how the previous name is in conflict with the ToS, but not why.

That said, he shouldn't have banned you. You needed to change your name quickly, so you had little choice. I'd just have asked for a name change without the ban, due to those circumstances.