10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alindra View Post
    It actually surprised me, since you've said you gave up on the computer forum.
    I did, but for some reason I opened it, and resolution naming autism was stronger.

gah! wrong forum.
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2017-09-11 at 10:31 AM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    Proposal to restart this thread over on some other website (Mastadon? Reddit? fucking anything?)…
    There's nothing of value left on MMOC.
    My mmo-champion.com views mostly go to this, nfl sports thread, hots and media threads.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    I did, but for some reason I opened it, and resolution naming autism was stronger.
    This made me laugh far harder than it should have.

That's true…and you're right that it's irrational. I suppose it's just the stink of mingling in an area where lower-classes are found. Now that you point it out I don't have a great reason.
    Well, we're all on these boards, so what's that say about us (you included)? :P

-----

You know how you can watch gameplay footage and think "man, that looks awesome"? That is not me playing Doom. Hah!

Also, it runs better using the OpenGL 4.5 backend than it does with Vulkan. Older card and all that, makes me wonder where the bottleneck is? Doom's engine or Nvidia's drivers? Doesn't seem like it should be a driver issue, since part of the benefit of Vulkan is to reduce driver overhead.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Aww @evn, come now. If it weren't for mmo-c, you wouldn't have met us. <3 <3 <3
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    @evn yikes...

Well, which bar would you take me too if I visited? :P Or is your own personal home-bar still amazing enough?
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to visit the rogue and warrior forums when I played wow, but I haven't played the game since 2014.

Then, I also used to visit the computer forum regularly but it turned into I could use a bunch of negative strong words to describe and I simply lost any interest because it's genuinely boring.

The only other place besides this thread was the anime chat thread, but we moved to Discord long ago and haven't been using our thread here regularly for ages (it still manages to be faster than this one).

10+ Year Old Account
    Android Oreo finally brought color management. Per app basis and needs to be updated but better than nothing. Come on Microsoft, you're the only one left out, lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Android Oreo finally brought color management. Per app basis and needs to be updated but better than nothing. Come on Microsoft, you're the only one left out, lol.
    Have mirosoft or any vendors even brought out a new windows phone?

I'm not even sure MS phone 10 was properly released.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    Have mirosoft or any vendors even brought out a new windows phone?

I'm not even sure MS phone 10 was properly released.
    He's talking about real Windows 10, not the phone version. Windows still can't manage different colorspaces at the same time and it can't do any color management.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup. It's something that's really needed as wider gamut displays becomes more relevant. Phone I have atm is mapped to DCI-P3 by default with both a no emulation / restrictions and an sRGB emulation mode. With color management I wouldn't really need to bother with changing those settings and would get the accurate non saturated colors that associate with whatever I'm looking at.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2017-09-11 at 10:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Back in Toronto I'm a fan of a few places: Tallboys, Barchef,The Horseshoe but around here I haven't found anything I really like. "Let's head over to Montreal" would be my battle cry; it's only about an hour and a half away. My home bar is good so long as you like to drink what I do (whisky,brandy,bourbon,vodka,gin) otherwise you won't have much fun. I'm not planning to stay here—in this home—for long so I haven't put much effort.

If you're here next spring I'd say "let's go smoke pot on Parliament Hill legally" just so you could say you did it. I'm not a pothead, but I bet a bunch of people will get a kick out of that.

You're in Illinois right? Suppose I'm back there and not just wandering around Chicago, what should I do.
    I live close enough to Chicago.

And I don't really care about pot, so can pass on that. I enjoy whiskey and brandy, but really want to try more. The nicest I've had were Middleton 18 years Irish Whiskey and Glenlivet 20 years. I've tried one or two brandies, but want to try more. I want to try some cognacs, too. I've been finding some rums I like, too. I'm more or less out of the craft beer scene. I'll drink beer, but I am sick of bottles going bad or being bad off the shelves. I like being able to sip on something over several hours if I can. Wine is good, too. I love a dry red.
    "A flower.

The only other place besides this thread was the anime chat thread, but we moved to Discord long ago and haven't been using our thread here regularly for ages (it still manages to be faster than this one).
    I only used Discord briefly when my guild switched to it from Vent. I'm not going to say it's bad, but I didn't like how (at least from my experience) channels had both voice and text. I never joined any other Discord channels because of that entanglement. Also, unlike a forum, I'd need a separate program to view / participate in it.

In some ways I wish for the simpler days of IRC.

Yup. It's something that's really needed as wider gamut displays becomes more relevant. Phone I have atm is mapped to DCI-P3 by default with both a no emulation / restrictions and an sRGB emulation mode. With color management I wouldn't really need to bother with changing those settings and would get the accurate non saturated colors that associate with whatever I'm looking at.
    Just out of curiosity, under what circumstances have you found color management important / useful on your phone? I can understand on a desktop where content creation is a thing... but a phone? (Not saying it shouldn't be implemented, mind you.)

Thursday I'm giving my first 'lecture' in about 5 years: teaching "intro the *NIX CLI" to our new engineers that only really have Windows experience. Kinda nervous, I've always been a shitty instructor and a bad TA. If that goes well we'll being writing a course for "experienced" programmers who want to become more advanced users. I'm hoping we'll be able to make content generic enough that it can be public but if not I'll likely record similar material and toss it on my personal youtube channel.
    Ugh, I've never been very fond of public speaking, either. It's something I know is a valuable skill, but I don't exactly seek out opportunities to do so.

How big of an audience will you have? Oh, and good luck!

10+ Year Old Account
    Just out of curiosity, under what circumstances have you found color management important / useful on your phone? I can understand on a desktop where content creation is a thing... but a phone? (Not saying it shouldn't be implemented, mind you.)
    When we made this I actually needed a decent color reference when going to the fabric store. If I compared it to the saturated one it'd be a really bright purple. I had reference images taken from the game (Starcraft's "StarCrafts" mod) and put it on my phone to use.

When we made this I actually needed a decent color reference when going to the fabric store. If I compared it to the saturated one it'd be a really bright purple. I had reference images taken from the game (Starcraft's "StarCrafts" mod) and put it on my phone to use.
    Ah yes, that makes complete sense. I didn't even think about it that way.

Cool plushies, btw! Are those your first, or have you made an assortment of them?

10+ Year Old Account
    I only used Discord briefly when my guild switched to it from Vent. I'm not going to say it's bad, but I didn't like how (at least from my experience) channels had both voice and text. I never joined any other Discord channels because of that entanglement. Also, unlike a forum, I'd need a separate program to view / participate in it.

In some ways I wish for the simpler days of IRC.
    No, you have separate voice channels and text channels. They have nothing to do with each other, text is text and voice is voice. Also, Discord itself is just another webpage running on electron. And you can use it simply going into their website, without actually downloading the client.

And to be fair it has become the successor of IRC to a lot of people, you get text channels, image previews, video previews, video playback, gif support, custom emotes (trust me, it sounds silly but they can be funny) while it also gives you voice functionality. Running on chromium made it super simple for them to support things you'd expect a browser to support, the thing is actually quite functional.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2017-09-13 at 02:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah yes, that makes complete sense. I didn't even think about it that way.

Cool plushies, btw! Are those your first, or have you made an assortment of them?
    First one, it took... a lot more work than you might've thought, lol.

First one, it took... a lot more work than you might've thought, lol.
    Oh, I can believe it! I have a few more crafty family members and listening to what went into their projects always amazes me.

No, you have separate voice channels and text channels. They have nothing to do with each other, text is text and voice is voice. Also, Discord itself is just another webpage running on electron. And you can use it simply going into their website, without actually downloading the client.

And to be fair it has become the successor of IRC to a lot of people, you get text channels, image previews, video previews, video playback, gif support, custom emotes (trust me, it sounds silly but they can be funny) while it also gives you voice functionality. Running on chromium made it super simple for them to support things you'd expect a browser to support, the thing is actually quite functional.
    Actually, now that you mention it, I seem to remember the web version coming up before in guild chat for people who were either running late / PUGs / etc.

After stopping to think about it more in depth, I can break down my main issues with Discord a little futher:

* Most of the time, I tend to prefer asynchronous communication. In most cases, I even treat text messages this way - I'll reply when I have time, not right away. It also helps when dealing with people in different time zones, as they have a better chance to communicate. In other cases - like class forums moving from forums to Discord (which I never joined, so this is a bit of conjecture on my part) - it seems like having more time to write out lengthy posts (eg: theorycrafting) in one go would be beneficial than having it fragmented over multiple messages.

* Unlike other options likes forums, IRC, etc, you can't host private servers (as far as I'm aware). Yes, it's convenient, yes it's "free," but it also means that you're giving up control of using it and becoming dependent upon them to continue using it. I'm increasingly less comfortable allowing companies have that kind of control. Yes, I have gmail accounts - and I'm not entirely happy with that situation either, but I'm not sure of any good alternatives... not to mention the kind of inertia email accounts get when signing up for other accounts.

I still feel like I'm not distilling the reason(s) to their core essences.

It's funny: I do pretty well in front of a large audience unless I'm trying to teach. Formal debate, acting or performing, a speech, heck even telling jokes l've had no issue in front of a few thousand, but even 20 students I couldn't hold. I also struggle in small groups (like parties or first dates) and it takes serious effort just to seem "normal": conversation doesn't come naturally so I find it as mentally draining as how people described writing math tests for which they were ill-prepared.

The room booked for the event holds ~70 people but I suspect the number will be closer to 50.
    So what you're saying is a) you're not normal and b) you lie about it. You sir, are tricksy and false. :P

Kidding aside, teaching is hard. Teaching well (in an interesting / engaging way) is harder still. It sounds like you don't have any kind of anxiety being in front of a large group of people, so you at least have an leg up there and can just focus on the material, technique, etc. How did you come about teaching this session if you don't like teaching?

It's true. I'm willing to admit it now in a way I wouldn't have in high-school when my spot at the cool-kids table depended on normalcy. Even now, I make an effort at work just because the cost of doing otherwise is significant.
    Hah! Oh yeah, that ever important cool-kid cred... I do not miss those days. Not that I was ever part of that clique, mind you.

At any rate, I think everyone has their own deviations from the norm - it's really just a question of what they are and how obvious / often they come up. Me, I try not to stir the pot until I get to know people. I hate conflict and avoid it when possible.

It's part of the job requirements/my boss volunteered me: I found out when we went for breakfast. One of the ways my performance is measured is in terms of my sphere of influence. If you're a manager, then the your influence is measured in-part by the influence of the people who report to you. My boss has pegged me to move up to his tier (upper management), so he's starting to push me into doing things that will make that possible. Participating in this kind of stuff is supposed to be good for my career for a bunch of reasons related to measuring influence and the size of group who trusts you. It feels a bit slimy to describe things like that in those terms but I guess that's just how careerism works.
    Gotcha. That line of thinking just sounds like management speak. While I can understand how they arrive at that view, I don't like the line of reasoning, either. Sounds too much like reducing people to pawns to further your (the manager's) agenda.

How do you feel about the prospect of being a part of upper management?

The worst part was when they asked me to talk about myself at the start…I'm a very private person and I don't like to talk about my life/history because it just feels like being a braggart or a bore depending on your impressions.
    Yuck, you and me both regarding privacy. Granted, for me it's less about being a braggart / boring (I'd say the latter is more accurate for me) than just an inclination not to over share.

10+ Year Old Account

Final parts for my new build have finally arrived Looking forward to the weekend