Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I think simply using "hardcore" is misleading. Here's how I would put it:

1. Can be done in a fully random duty finder group: 4-man dungeons, Normal Omega, Normal 8-man primals
    2. Can be done in a party finder group with some filtering: EX Primals, O1S, O2S
    3. Needs a static team (well, until people overgear): O3S, O4S

Category 2 is the unusual category. That group will probably have standards for gear and performance, and will kick people for not meeting them. So it's not fully casual. But you also can just apply to a group when you want to run the instance. You don't have to schedule time in advance like for a static. Category 2 is also a good fit for more casual static teams, the equivalent of a normal/heroic raid team in WoW.

Personally, I'm a category 1 player. I just play with duty finder groups, and don't bother applying for harder content.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    I think (and I'm not alone here if I look around and ask my friends who also play this game) the biggest reason why I don't raid savage is because I can't be bothered to join a group of people I've never met before
    This is quite relatable, my current group is made up of 6 long time fc members, a recruit who clicked with us perfectly, and a pug before we got the group together who also is tailor made to our little band of noobs. We're super casual, but not super awful, so we've just gotten our O3s kill(our group was finalized like 2 days before the kill, and had been pugging 2-4 members, prior.)

Since I'm a samurai, it'd be hell trying to find a group. At least with these people we can enjoy our work together and not stress out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Man you should really look up 4 through 9. Tastes differ on each as they have a range of genres but on the whole at least one of them will probably be one of your favourite rpgs if you liked X which is good but one of the weaker entries compared to those.
    there was a sale on these games that had them like 4-7 bucks like a month ago, I now have 4-9 and type zero on steam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danund81
    Just SAY IT.* "I'm right you're wrong and I know it because I have the power of a website's link."

I'm a little unclear on what hardcore definition and raid difficulty or the difference in savage gear vs 20 ilvls lower has to do with the topic of this thread.

Can we try and not go down the exact same debates in every single thread, folks?

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Yeah the reason I draw importance to my specific definition is because I personally believe that the term "hardcore" and the term "difficult" should not be used interchangeably as the general MMO populace tends to do. You can clear difficult content in an amazingly short amount of time. I've done it. You can farm easy content ad-nausea in a hardcore fashion (a la Yokai, Relic weapons, dungeons, etc.).

Even though I personally think the EX primals are very easy, they are still "difficult content" in my eyes. They are not hardcore content though because the time commitment to learn and clear is not very high. I felt similarly with O1S/O2S.
    This kind of lines up with my own PoV, even if my raiding experience/effort is below yours.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    That's actually very true. I mean often playing hardcore usually involves doing difficult content but it doesn't have to be.
    God knows how many times I've had to point out that "casuals" often spend more time playing these games than "hardcores" in general. While it's not 100% true, it's fairly accurate. The two terms really ought to be separated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danund81
    Just SAY IT.* "I'm right you're wrong and I know it because I have the power of a website's link."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    I'm a little unclear on what hardcore definition and raid difficulty or the difference in savage gear vs 20 ilvls lower has to do with the topic of this thread.

Can we try and not go down the exact same debates in every single thread, folks?
    Well if someone wants very challenging content that is on par with heroic or mythic wow raids they might want to know if FFXIV has it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Balager View Post
    Well if someone wants very challenging content that is on par with heroic or mythic wow raids they might want to know if FFXIV has it or not.
    Neither of which were mentioned in the OP, though it could be inferred if they're a completionist, but subsequent posts haven't led me to think that Mythic raiding has been their focal point and what they're looking for.

Seriously, every single thread seems to boil down into an argument over harder raids at some point. It's not the exclusive point that every discussion needs to come around to, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargarii View Post
    Wrecktangle, I'm a stay at home dad, I definitely used the whole day. I duo'd with my wife on an off day for her. Basically we blindly clung to the story quest(you typically outlevel it anyway) and as soon as we unlocked hunting logs we cleared the first two asap. After 10-12 we did fates in some of the key areas while picking up hunting log kills as we moved, then at 15 we focused purely on story to unlock the little noob tests to get the level 15 gear and the ring that increases xp up til level 30, unlocked dungeons after that and just did story and dungeons to 30.
    Partially my fault. I misread your original statement. When you said new character my brain assumed you meant new job, not character, thus I was curious how you blasted levels so quickly without the MSQ without wanting to rip your eyes out from PotD or FATEs.

I know it'll vary from class to class, but there's right at a 20% difference between an ilvl 320 sam and an ilvl 340 sam with equal playing ability. Add skill variance and that gap is even wider. I'm not sure that the 25% he threw out is all that unfair of a guess.
    It wasn't a guess I took 2 sets of my gear, both fully melded. One was i327 and the other was i310. I ran 3 separate 5 minute dummy parses solo (no one attacking, no food/pots or pt buffs) and averaged the results (to help mitigate crit/dh outliers). The end result ended up being an average of 25% more damage with that gear. In fact, I've more than doubled my DPS from 1700 to 3500 since hitting 70 and doing EX primals i296 or so to i328.

I just want to correct bad info when it's out there. Kyriani had it in his head based on feelings rather than data and I felt it was very important to correct that notion.

Just curious what method/location did you acquire the 20% difference between 320 and 340?

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    I think simply using "hardcore" is misleading. Here's how I would put it:

1. Can be done in a fully random duty finder group: 4-man dungeons, Normal Omega, Normal 8-man primals
    2. Can be done in a party finder group with some filtering: EX Primals, O1S, O2S
    3. Needs a static team (well, until people overgear): O3S, O4S

Category 2 is the unusual category. That group will probably have standards for gear and performance, and will kick people for not meeting them. So it's not fully casual. But you also can just apply to a group when you want to run the instance. You don't have to schedule time in advance like for a static. Category 2 is also a good fit for more casual static teams, the equivalent of a normal/heroic raid team in WoW.

Personally, I'm a category 1 player. I just play with duty finder groups, and don't bother applying for harder content.
    I agree with your categories and I also agree that category 2 (I've seen it called midcore and even called it that myself, but I don't think its a good term) is the problem. As I've stated before though I don't think that the words casual/hardcore are appropriate labels for dictating content difficulty, but more so time invested. I think that category 1 and 2 are generally very casual content, not because they're easy/hard, but because they don't require a significant time investment.

While its true it has little to do with the immediate OP, it is every forum goer's duty to ensure the spread of misinformation is minimized. In this case me explaining my definition of hardcore helps qualify my posts and state of mind for others to comment. The piece about ilvl was important to the OP because if he reads that and takes it at face value then perpetuates the misinformation, we've failed him. He came here answers, not for inaccuracies.

Neither of which were mentioned in the OP, though it could be inferred if they're a completionist, but subsequent posts haven't led me to think that Mythic raiding has been their focal point and what they're looking for.

Seriously, every single thread seems to boil down into an argument over harder raids at some point. It's not the exclusive point that every discussion needs to come around to, folks.
    You're just mad cause you couldn't skip soar.

I kid I kid. <3 See above.

He came here answers, not for inaccuracies.
    Completionist
    Lore Nerd
    Loves characters & stories
    Lodestone, short stories, cut scenes
    WoW lore nerd wants to be a XIV lore nerd

Based on every post the OP has made in this thread, please point to anything whatsoever that indicates a multi-page argument over the value of Savage raid gear contributes to a single question the OP has asked.

You're not fulfilling some moral obligation. At this point it's just a slap fight to prove a point over something completely irrelevant to anything the OP has expressed interest in.

WoW lore nerd wants to be a XIV lore nerd

Based on every post the OP has made in this thread, please point to anything whatsoever that indicates a multi-page argument over the value of Savage raid gear contributes to a single question the OP has asked.

You're not fulfilling some moral obligation. At this point it's just a slap fight to prove a point over something completely irrelevant to anything the OP has expressed interest in.
    he specifically asked why did people quit WoW for FF14 and also specific asked what people liked/didn't like about both games. Another poster made a contribution that was incorrect. In order to not have that information sway the OP under false pretenses, I proceeded to refute it. I still see nothing wrong with this.

FWIW I also gave an actual response to the OP's initial concerns and questions as well.

he specifically asked why did people quit WoW for FF14 and also specific asked what people liked/didn't like about both games. Another poster made a contribution that was incorrect. In order to not have that information sway the OP under false pretenses, I proceeded to refute it. I still see nothing wrong with this.

FWIW I also gave an actual response to the OP's initial concerns and questions as well.
    I'm sure the OP is eternally grateful for your heroism.

You don't have to quit a game permantely, you just take long breaks and even if youre not playing it you can still keep up with its story and content. I played WoW since the start together with Final Fantasy 11 but the day that Final Fantasy 14 came it became the best game i have ever played and for 7 years since 2010 i have been maining FFXIV while rarely playing WoW, for new players its because WoW is built on a very old system and the quests and overall enviroment are not as immersive as the modern mmos and more specific the Final Fantasy series and together with the poor character customization it does not appeal to the audience these days while FFXIV is easier to catch the interests in addition with it being on Steam which is the largest gaming network in the world.

Thank you all for your answers again, they made me change my mind about the lore. I think that discovering it while questing is the way to go, I can always look for more info if I need it.

I started the trial with an Elezen Black Mage, I couldnt play much though, Im level 8 yet, but Im loving the game, can wait to play more !! I love the hunting log BTW, such simple and fun feature
    Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    I can actually play different classes without having to grind a welfare trophy

ill never play wow again
    So much grind yeah........ you can LITERALLY get concordance in 3 damn hour. THREE. DAMN. HOUR.

Quote Originally Posted by Shot89 View Post
    So much grind yeah........ you can LITERALLY get concordance in 3 damn hour. THREE. DAMN. HOUR.
    In what patch, though? People can have three or four jobs max leveled and everything they do can benefit every job in the first month of an expansion in XIV. How long did it take before Legion got to the point where alts were easy to catch up? I played for a month near release and another month last April and I spent most of my time leveling the main and getting the AF power for the one character. Didn't get a second character through the leveling experience, let alone thinking about their AF. Figure I'll do another month in December to wrap up story stuff and see the last raids in LFR.

That aside, some people prefer being able to speed grind additional jobs and anything they do on their main contributes towards gearing up multiple jobs with drops and gear currency rather than even having to replay every zone's story quest on every class.

Part of me prefers the job system, part of me misses having alts with unique class/personality in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkarath View Post
    Hi guys ¡¡ I quit WoW a few months ago, but the thing is that it still calls to me. I think that some of you know what I'm talking about. I have been a WoW player since the BC, a completionist, a lore nerd, I feel very attached to it, and I always keep returning.

Thing is that I tried the FFXIV free trial and I loved it. I quit it pretty fast because it was hooking me pretty strongly and I wanted to platinum the games that I had first. Now that I did that, I don't have an excuse anymore. But first I would like the opinion of experienced WoW players that switched to FFXIV.

Why you did it? What do you find better or worse? What do you miss of WoW? Anything that you could tell me to make my mind, because I'm thinking to make FFXIV my main game long-term.

Thank you ¡¡
    I've been playing WoW on/off since 2006 (late Vanilla). I checked out FF14 because I had a few friends that played it. I liked how the game played; I liked how classes were handled and I fkn LOVE how they do professions. I'll probably have a lot of "run and gun to the max level" types who will disagree with me, but if there was anything that I wish WoW would take from FF14, it's crafting.
    In the end, though, I just couldn't really get into FF14. It's a beautiful game and I come back to it on occasion (though I haven't played in over a year), but it doesn't hold my attention like WoW does.
    That all being said, play the game that makes you happy and that you have fun playing, regardless of what that game is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shot89 View Post
    i quit playing wow shortly after legion launch for a myriad of reasons - mostly that the game is not the game i loved to play so many years ago anymore and the axing of 10 man heroic.

there was of course the legendary in mists of pandaria and warlords of draenor. i endured not 1, but 2 expansions of this participation trophy rubbish. so you'll have to excuse me if I was not enthused about the direction of the game and dropped it entirely based on the past 3(?) years of development.

I remember when you could just log on, play whatever character you had, slay some dragons and get some purps. The game changed so much that I was spending as much time doing things I despised as I was doing things I enjoyed. They were not optional either; they were mandatory.

you can have whatever opinion you want of the game, but i think most people can agree that the game as it is now is nothing like it was in TBC-Cata. Mists of Pandaria started good, but went full retard by the time Throne of Thunder dropped.

At least when I play FFXIV it is more like the Cataclysm. I don't have to do a stupid quest to get a stupid participation trophy to slay scripted events. I just get my gear and do the content and play whatever class I want without having to wade through a swamp of irrelevant bullshit. This was the biggest mistake in raiding - Blizzard made it into something that it is not. Raiding used to be a self sought adventure, now it is something your hand is held and guided towards. It's not an adventure. It's a goddamn McDonalds drive thru.

I am sure someone will mention the MSQ in regards to my comment about wading through irrelevant bullshit, but at least you only have to do it once.

Regardless, I have no intention to ever play World of Warcraft again. It is too far gone from the game I once knew it as and it will never be the same or even as good as it ever was again. I've never seen people spend so much time trying to fix something that wasn't broken.
    Last edited by Gandrake; 2017-09-08 at 08:43 AM.

As someone who plays both OP I would just like to mention at the end of the day play what you enjoy the most. Be it whatever game. Games imo are most enjoyed when you are playing what you enjoy. And with friends.

I enjoy both games for what they have to offer. Simple as that. So I pay a sub for both.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    People will tell you that those things are in fact not mandatory and while they're technically correct they are also wrong. Yes the game and the developers doesn't force you to do things you don't want, but the community does. For example if I only want to raid heroic it'll be almost impossible to find a guild that only does only that. They'll want you to do normal first, they'll maybe want to do a few bosses of mythic, they'll give you a hard time for not doing mythic+, LFR, world quests and things like that during the hours that you're not raiding. The developers incentivize certain behavior and expectations, the community enforces.
    My guild in Legion cleared normal exactly 1 time, before going into heroic. It took exactly 1 day (2 hours) of out 2 day raid schedule and then never again.

We never did any mythic bosses (I pugged quite a few myself because I like mythic raiding), and no one set foot in LFR. They also never expected anyone to do any M+ if they didn't want too, but we gladly carried people to their 10/15 for the week if they wanted it.

Sometimes when I see people talk about their guilds I wonder what shit ass guilds ya'll join. Same thing applies to FF14. If you're in a shit ass FC, ditch them. Find one that's a better fit. Take your people with you if you need too. Life's too short to deal with bs/drama.

I know it'll vary from class to class, but there's right at a 20% difference between an ilvl 320 sam and an ilvl 340 sam with equal playing ability. Add skill variance and that gap is even wider. I'm not sure that the 25% he threw out is all that unfair of a guess.
    Ideally the comparison would be ilvl 330 tomestone gear (the best someone who doesn't touch savage raiding can get right now) vs. savage raid gear (tops out at.. 340 or 345 right now I think). A comparison of 320 vs 345 makes a 25% difference seem appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriani View Post
    Ideally the comparison would be ilvl 330 tomestone gear (the best someone who doesn't touch savage raiding can get right now) vs. savage raid gear (tops out at.. 340 or 345 right now I think). A comparison of 320 vs 345 makes a 25% difference seem appropriate.
    You take his words at face value, but I detailed my testing approach and actually quantified the data, and you don't respond to that ?

Comparing ilvl 341 (I believe that's what max gear is) to 329 (you only can get 1 330 ring) is roughly 12 ilvl, but keep in mind that the max ilvl weapon is 345, not 340 which actually pushes the damage differential up quite a bit. I don't have the gear so I don't have the means to test it.

His example of 25% damage between 320 and 345 isn't correct based on my dataset. Until he responds to me with the methodology used or cites the example he used to determine that datapoint, it isn't something concrete. I saw 25% damage increase based on 17 ilvl. 8 additional ilvl would likely push that differential up well over 30%, as evidenced by some previous data points I provided, albeit less scientifically approached than the main one.