Poll: Do you plan to buy an EV in the next 5 years?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's a hideous interior. Exterior ain't much better either.

Full electric cars aren't where they need to be yet, the range is too short and they take too long to charge.

Hybrids are another matter though, they give you a more balanced option. I might consider one of those next time I'm in the market for a new car, which won't be for some years though since I bought a new car earlier this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    That's a hideous interior. Exterior ain't much better either.

Full electric cars aren't where they need to be yet, the range is too short and they take too long to charge.

Hybrids are another matter though, they give you a more balanced option. I might consider one of those next time I'm in the market for a new car, which won't be for some years though since I bought a new car earlier this year.
    You say that get most automotive journalists aka the experts are raving about this car.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonicburn View Post
    Why are all the EVs so ugly? I do plan on going electric in the future, but Tesla is currently the only manufacturer with an EV that doesn't look like grannies daily driver.
    Normies. That's why.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You say that get most automotive journalists aka the experts are raving about this car.
    Ok? I bet you most of those "experts" still wouldn't buy one.

Let's see, the starting price of the Leaf is 34760€ in my country, which is about 6000€ more than what my significantly better equipped Astra cost me. Getting the Leaf to anywhere near that level of equipment would add thousands more to the price. My car averages ~5.5L/100km, some quick maths taking into account the cost of fuel in my area means I can drive for about ~75000km before I get to the price of the base spec Leaf, and that also doesn't take into account the fact that electricity for charging the Leaf isn't free either.

So economically it doesn't make sense. The Leaf would also quite effectively prohibit me from taking any roadtrips without very careful planning and probably overnight stops. Hell, even going there and back from the nearest slightly larger city without spending time recharging somewhere would be stretching it. So it's much less practical. It's also uglier on both the inside and the outside compared to what I have.

Why exactly am I supposed to be interested in this car?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    call me when it doesn't look terrible.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Battery operated vehicles are just as bad for the environment as gasoline powered ones. First you got to think of charging the battery which usually comes from a power generator(nuclear or coal). When those batteries are replaced or the car goes off to the junk yard, those battery packs are absolutely horrible for the environment that in the end it makes about the same pollutants as a gasoline driven car. Also, those batteries don't last forever and replacing them is super expensive.
    "Environmentally Friendly" cars are just a ploy by the car companies to get (dumb)people to buy them thinking they are making a difference so they can feel better about themselves.
    Last edited by Rolow; 2017-09-11 at 02:51 AM.

hatchbacks are ugly as shit. id never buy one, ever.
    dammit 6th post beat me.

Wow this car looks amazing. There will be another version with even more range. This is actually gonna be affordable for a lot of people with a starting price below 30K before even counting incentives. Love the tech and the flat steering wheel.
    When it's below 10k, let me know. I have never spent more than $9,999 on a car. I refuse.

It's ok all these companies making electric cars, however they're not very practical to drive somewhere on holiday. We've got a toyota Estima (UK - But imported from japan) and had it for over 14 years, nothing gone wrong with it except wear and tear on tires.. It's a diesel 8 seater, and gets up from the south of england down to cornwall every year on a tank of fuel plus running around and then gets us back on a tank.. To do the same journey in an electric vehicle would mean stopping at least 3 times to recharge and the times to charge would mean we'd end up loosing about 2 days each way.

Also the price of electric vehicles are out of the range of normal people, not all of us have a disposable income that would cover the cost of buying one.

Now if they could make an 8 seater with a range of about 600 miles on 1 charge and cost about 10k, then we would love to buy one.. Until then we're happy with our reliable gas guzzler!!

10+ Year Old Account
    so ugly

looks like something a middle aged woman would drive

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    LOL at people caring about how a vehicle looks.

Do you feel the same way about your hammers or plungers?

It's a fucking tool.
    Yeah LOL at people who care about the design of stuff they pay several thousand dollars for.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    It's also not a car, therefore worse
    The Nissan really isn't a car either. More of a toaster, with wheels.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a long way until electric car will be a viable choice for me. Not yet. But progress is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Well that's just incorrect really isn't it
    Technically you are correct, but I'm sticking to my guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    How do you arrive at the 2 day loss?? These cars don't need overnight if you don't plug them into houshold outlets, but go to proper charging stations. Also, for trips that long, it's actually quite advisable to do some extended breaks along the way.

If they could make it 14 years old and stink from its arse then I'm sure you'd be able to get this.
    Takes us 5 hours to drive from where we live to where we have our holiday in cornwall, Sticking to the speed limits, etc.. However we do have an hour break so that takes us to 6 hours. Trying to find an electric charging station would probably mean you'd have to drive a little bit off the main route to find somewhere that has them (at the moment that is)... The 2 day loss would be because of the time it would take to charge up the car each part of the trip, they say about 6 hours for a full charge, would need at least 4 charges, so that'll be 24 hours in 1 direction, and 24 hours in another.

As for the stink, our car passes it's emission tests every year, so it's only smelling as bad as everyone elses vehicles...

The other thing i forgot to mention is that with all these extra electric cars they want to use, would require more and more electricity, and we are already at breaking point when it comes to generating the electricity. People don't want wind farms, or solar farms blighting the landscapes even though they complain about the fact that the electricity generation needs to be boosted, they want extra generators.. just no where near where they live..

And that makes the entire tech useless? Just like all those expensive sport cars? Or super fast computer?....... But also don't shit-talk the thing as if it was somehow universally bad.
    He literally only said that it isn't practical in some situations. He only said "they're not very practical to drive somewhere on holiday". He didn't shit talk the thing as if it's universally bad, and he didn't say that the tech is useless.

The range is a joke. Tesla all the way.

Tesla is the obvious choice currently, no question. Especially since the Model 3 put them in the "at least not silly expensive for somewhat more normal-figures earning people" segment. But this Leaf is at least getting roughly into the right direction and could have actual use for a majority of potential customers. Any competition is positive news!

And of course, in general, the whole e-car business isn't for used-car buyer just yet. If you're not up to spending new-car-money then ANY new car is too expensive, and it'll be a few years until you see wide-spread used e-car offers. There is no real need to mention it in this context.
    Can't agree more with this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    The Nissan really isn't a car either. More of a toaster, with wheels.
    Funny how car experts and the public disagree. I'll trust them over you.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's fine for maneuvering around the city. Not everyone is overweight or has a huge family to carry around.
    OMFG fat shamming in every one of your threads.

Car is ugly.
    Doesnt get enough mileage.
    Could not make it to work and back with traffic.
    Would have to charge every night.
    Could barely fit my normal size wife and kids

PS this car could never compete with Tesla

It's also not terribly impossible to rent a car for a holiday drive (or take the train), but drive a much cleaner vehicle the remaining 363 days of the year. "I can't do my vacations with it" is a really sad argument for the overall viability. And it's even untrue, as outlined above.
    Impossible to rent a car, we're talking for a 8 seat vehicle, over £300 for a week on top of the price of a holiday. Would cost us about £80 for a full tank of fuel, so the holiday suddenly becomes expensive.. Train tickets (just did a random search on a website, and our family, for a week would cost about £600 just to get there and back, if you add in the cost of renting a car, that's nearly a grand extra on top of the £600 for renting a mobile home for a week, so a holiday would have gone from £760 to a whopping £1500 ish then you'd have to factor in fuel for the rental)...

I never said anything about the electric car being rubbish, just it's not practical for people that have long journeys, and giving the example of us taking a holiday was just my rambling point of view.. I could see the electric car improving with larger fuel cells, better designs, etc, and in the future everyone will be driving them. As more people buy them, the prices "should" go down.

The other thing that i would worry about would be the second hand market for electric cars, take a look at the batteries on second hand mobiles, they don't keep their charges, etc, what would happen if you brought a used electric car and you find that the battery doesn't hold it's charge anymore? expense on replacing the cells, etc