Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Realm of the Old Gods

Greetings, MMO-champion.

It has been a long time since I last made a map but today I happily return with one based on World of Warcraft. It means a lot to me to share this with you and I hope you enjoy what I've created. I present a maddening vision of the Realm of the Old Gods!

Those with an interest in the lore of the horrors spawned from the Void Lords may notice, among some of my own ideas, several references throughout the map that Blizzard have hinted at through the whispers of the Old Gods themselves and from their servants.

Originally I planned to detail some of the lore behind each area and what the Raids and Dungeons may contain but at last I decided it was best to leave that to the viewers imagination.

Thank you very much for viewing. (Click to enlarge)

Deleted
    Seems nice!

What purpose does this serve?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by George Costanza View Post
    No real purpose other than entertainment, really. In the same vein as those fan-made expansions you may have seen pop up on MMO-champion every now and again.

10+ Year Old Account
    It serves to be a fan made item that someone wishes to share.

And, doesn't really look bad.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus93 View Post
    No real purpose other than entertainment, really. In the same vein as those fan-made expansions you may have seen pop up on MMO-champion every now and again.
    This is pretty sick dude, well done. Would be interesting to see which references effected your placements.

Deleted
    Asking for a purpose on a forum about a video game.... someone cuold ask you if there is a purpose in life!

Looks great! Mother of The Crawling Things... damn its sounds REALLY creepy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    This is cool, man I'd love a creepy as shit old god expansion
    Seconded. Was running AQ the other day for lucid nightmare and some tmog and I never really listened to the place before but all the creepy sounds and whispers and just ominous atmosphere felt great.

OT: Also great map OP! Couldn't see it here on my work computer but opened up reddit on my phone and sure enough there it was
    Last edited by Dug; 2017-09-11 at 04:21 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lulbalance View Post
    This is pretty sick dude, well done. Would be interesting to see which references effected your placements.
    Thanks very much!

This is perhaps more detail than you were after but I wrote this for someone that was interested to know the references so I thought I might as well include that here.

Y'liath the Long Circle - The long circle is a reference to a quote from Il'gynoth in the emerald nightmare. 'Your coming was foretold in the rings. The long circle is nearly complete.' As what I called 'Y'liath' is under construction I took that quote pretty literally.

The Black Forest - Y'shaarj tells us, 'When you walk among the Black Forest...you will see.' A chilling line, I think.

The Towers of Sacrifice - I named the towers 'Ashanu'. Xal'atath whispers, 'Do not be impressed by tall icons of the titans which stand here. The towers of sacrifice in Ny'alotha dwarf these pathetic temples.'

Bazagod Seat of the Flesh - That one is purely mine.

Ulvoth - Ulvoth is a name I created but the area I imagine would house the 'Drowned God' N'zoth.

Azshara - I thought I might as well include the domain of Azshara. She sits atop her gifted throne in the realm of the old gods.

K'tanth - Is a place of particular interest and so I made it the last raid tier of this imagined continent. Xal'atath whispers: 'I don't believe these lands have seen such carnage since the Battle for K'tanth. Such a long time ago...' No one is sure what K'tanth was but it was something built over a place of great power where the Tomb of Sargeras is currently. I imagine it as a beacon that might, in some way, communicate with the Void Lords.

Ea'nazul - A place of my own. I won't go into detail but it depicts areas of Azeroth twisted by the Old Gods. (Stormwind enveloped by tentacles)

Anh'rathir and Ungolaqir - Also places of my own taking inspiration from Silithus.

And lastly the boxes with the eyes on the border of the map are based on the puzzle box of Yogg-Saron.

Interesting. Question though: where is this "realm"? The Old Gods themselves are embedded in Azeroth. Is it supposed to be a unified Kalimdor, or below the surface?

Dude this is a beautiful map, nicely done!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Interesting. Question though: where is this "realm"? The Old Gods themselves are embedded in Azeroth. Is it supposed to be a unified Kalimdor, or below the surface?
    You've asked the question I struggled with before starting the map. If I'm totally honest, I'm not too sure. My original idea was that this was a nightmare experienced by Azeroth's World Soul. I thought that might be a good idea to allow for the Old Gods to have their own realm, a place that exists in a distinct plane of existence. I think the mysterious nature of places like Ny'alotha, places described to exist, allow any sort of idea to work.

Deleted
    Aw, are you jealous, my son? Dry those tears away, lest you look even more like a weedy little parasite.

Kindly go away, little man.

OP: That is a god damn incredible bit of artistry.
    Last edited by mmoc37b524a896; 2017-09-11 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Dude so much agreed, if you look for the AQ 40 soundtrack on Youtube, it's legitimately creepy, like it gives me goosebumps
    The most fucked up and creepiest thing Blizzard made was whispers of Corrupted Ashbringer.

KILL... THEM... ALL...

I'm a pretty big fan of nightmarish realms and the Old Gods. Very nice job!
    Last edited by Theoris; 2017-09-11 at 04:59 PM.

this is really awesome!

10+ Year Old Account
    Very very well done!

Deleted
    Is there even a different realm for the old gods?

We have heard about Ny'alotha but as far as we know it can be something just like Antorus. Yl'gynoth isn't an old God and got sent there (we assume).

What i could see something of this kind to be, is a lost continent on the other side of Azeroth with the remains of the Black empire. That could be pretty cool and informative in a void based expansion.

Impressive ! I love it ...