Thread: The Orville

Page 1 of 24
... LastLast

The Orville

The Orville

New TV Show

(I have removed my hyperbole)
    Last edited by yetgdhfgh; 2017-11-01 at 06:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    I thought American Dad was going to suck when I first saw it and it's now one of my favorite animated shows ever. I believe in Seth.
    Maybe his humour works better in cartoon form than in real life after all his film 'Million ways to die in the west' was really bad imo.

But like i said iam gonna give this a chance.

I hated the female lead when she was on agents of shield which taints the series for me. Unsure if i will watch.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will watch, I am kind of excited, because it looks fun. I really hope it does work. I would really love to follow a series like this that was just cool and funny.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Saw the title and thought of another Orville. Orville the Duck

oh my god my age is showing....
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Think this might be more of MacFarlane somehow managing to sell or convince FOX of his Star Trek fantasies then anything else, which is odd since there will be actual Star Trek this season to. But I guess he has been good to FOX by making a couple of cartoons that worked great for them for many years. That said I probably expect this to be more Galaxy Quest then Star Trek, it could turn out really campy but perhaps also not to bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Wasn't bad, felt like one of MacFarlanes cartoons in a Star Trek setting. At least they did not try to take themselves to serious. Could be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post

oh my god my age is showing....
    Oscar the grouch and Big Bird's love child.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

I found it to be rather entertaining, but I will remain cautiously optimistic with Seth being involved. It still felt more Star Trek'ish than the new Star Trek stuff that is coming so it at least has that going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I thought of Orville Reddenbacher or however you spell the popcorn guy's name, myself. Not gonna watch the show though. cause it looked like shit from the advertisements, plus Seth McFarlane's involvement means there's a very good chance that it looks like exactly what it is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    It still felt more Star Trek'ish than the new Star Trek stuff that is coming so it at least has that going for it.
    Thats why I loved the pilot. Felt like ST with a bit reality. oh and btw "you got wood"

Deleted
    I wanted to like it. It had a Trek feel to it. MacFarfromfunny was doing a dramatic role and not even trying to be funny, so I thought it had potential.

Then it started to occur to me; why reinvent the wheel? Why make a new Star Trek that isn't Star Trek? And, of course, on top of that, they had to ruin it with completely pointless marital problem BS with "oh my wife is the XO" and "she cheated on me and we divorced but it's all amazing and good now again!", and they had to go ahead and cast Adrianne Palicki in it.

It wanted to be Star Trek, but after takeoff it fell on it's face and became just another pointless drama.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    It wanted to be Star Trek, but after takeoff it fell on it's face and became just another pointless drama.
    I don't know. I didn't see it as space drama, I saw it more like space comedy. After all how serious can you take a show that starts with the lead character walking in on his wife fucking a blue alien in their bedroom.

They tried to make fun of all things sci-fi, there wasn't really many serious moments in the show. The entire cast is just one giant sci-fi-stereotype with the captain, the token black dude, lead characters hot wife, the super smart black female doctor (clearly over compensating for something), tiny little girl with superpower strength, the racist robot (even tho he wasn't all that racist yet), the big surly alien that doesn't understand humans, and the captains best friend. Plus the odd blob alien that will probably be some running joke - I expect more people to walk over it and such. It's almost like they stole the entire character pool from Futurama.

Sure the uniforms looked very Trek. The ship designs just looked weird, I found it particularly amusing that they didn't have or use lifts but had a giant spiral staircase he walked up in. At least the "evil" aliens looked good, far better then the "new klingons" in the new Star Trek series.

I guess the only really serious non comedic part was the end revelation: his x-wife got him the job as space captain cause she felt bad for fucking the blue alien and wrecking their marriage. But she has not told him that and neither has the admiral of PUC or whatever their federation clone was called again. Which is probably just another "funny word play" since it sounds an awful lot like FUCK when you pronounce it.

Deleted
    Yeah... I don't think they're going for parody. I think they're being super cereal about it. That's why it's failing.

The funniest part was when he caught that alien in bed with his wife and the alien spewed all that blue stuff all over. The rest of it wasn't all that funny. Hope it improves cause I like the idea.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

That was... uh, that was just incredibly boring. In fact the only things that really broke up the boredom was cringeworthiness.

I think the only characters I like so far are Kitan, Bortus (kinda), and the robot Isaac (kinda). The two "bros" need to die in a fire, and the lead is probably the worst of the entire cast. Adrianne Palicki is always a win for me though, but only because I've had a massive crush on her for years.

Just going to say it since it wasn't in the thread so far.

The doctor in this was Kasidy Yates in Deep Space 9. So at least it has a little real star trek in it, and my mom at first thought the robot sounded very similar to Brent Spiner (Data). Had to look it up to convince her otherwise, but he really does kind of sound like him.

Ill give it a bit before I pass judgment though, I mean TNG really sucked balls for the first season and half of the 2nd, same with DS9. But then they became super awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The question is whether Fox lets it live long enough to find its identity.
    They have 13 episodes, so shall see.

Then again, things like Big Bang theory, and Impractical Jokers are on TV, so I think this might have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I hated the female lead when she was on agents of shield which taints the series for me. Unsure if i will watch.
    then dont, no one will notice =/

I enjoyed it and would like to see where they take it. I'm glad they didn't go full parody goofy.

Seems like half the jokes are probably jokes Star Trek watchers thought to themselves while watching ST.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought it was great! High production value. Navy humor. Not a bad pilot episode at all!