Dunkirk

7/10

While it gets props for outstanding visuals... the time and story skips back and forth become jarring enough to be distracting. I feel it messes with the pacing and was ultimately unnecessary to tell the story. The acting was quite good and gave agency to the characters. Not a bad movie by any stretch but it lost something in the editing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

IT

10/10

Fucking incredible!

IT - 7/10
    I enjoyed it for the most part. I found it a little light on the scares but as a whole it was pretty good. My wife who has an unreasonable fear of clowns said it was the scariest movie she has ever seen. This coming from a woman that has seen thousands of horror movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Death Note 8/10 - Was going to avoid this on Netflix since I found the anime to be slow and tedious. Then I learned it was directed by Adam Wingard who also did You're Next and The Guest.
    He made Death Note into quite a fun and breezy watch. Basically and updated supernatural teen thriller from the 80's and 90's. Like Donnie Darko, The Wraith, or Repo Man but with better directing and production values.
    (I was in the middle of writing the below post, when I scrolled up and saw someone else had posted about Death Note.. So I'm quoting to show the difference of opinion about it.)

Death Note --- 1/10

That movie was really fucking shit.. seriously what the fuck was going through the mind of the director when making it.
    This opinion obviously comes from being a huge Death Note fan.. And that director completly butchered the story.

It's a teen parody of Death Note.. And seriously there was absolutly no reason for taking Death Note and making it into this horribly teen drama movie that they made.

12 Angry Men --- 9/10
    Such a brilliant movie.
    Last edited by Quibble; 2017-09-10 at 09:57 PM.
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

10+ Year Old Account
    ANNE.

Or Ann with and E based on the Books by Lucy Maud Montgomery's, Anne of Green Gables books.

Loved the series as a kid and the remake movie was alright.

ANNE 6/10
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibble View Post

Death Note --- 1/10

That movie was really fucking shit.. seriously what the fuck was going through the mind of the director when making it.
    This opinion obviously comes from being a huge Death Note fan.. And that director completly butchered the story.

It's a teen parody of Death Note.. And seriously there was absolutly no reason for taking Death Note and making it into this horribly teen drama movie that they made.
    The director made the mistake of trying to make Light a good guy and missed the point of the series. Doesn't work without light being an egomaniac super level genius because what normal person would use the death note in the first place.

47 Ronin 6/10

Better movie than I thought it would be. Gave it a shot even though it looked awful and managed to stick with it. No way you could do this film now with Keanu Reeves and having an army of white washing apologists at your door. But its a fun whimsical ride with destiny and magic and all that good stuff. Very much a saturday afternoon movie for the kids. Fun for an hour or two with little meat to chew on.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctagon View Post
    This is promising. I anticipated Taylor Sheridan's directing debut to be successful (it's even on my list of most anticipated films this year).
    Direction wise it's not as good as his script. Hell or High Water was phenomenal, indeed. But directing wise, Sheridan is a little too heavy handed in certain scenes.

However, that direction is very straight forward. So not at all distracting and I felt the engrossing story carried the film well after the plot had been summed up for us about 2/3rds of the way through.

Pretty good acting and excellent writing.

Regarding your post about It, you seem to enjoy gore and horror. Have you seen I Saw the Devil by Jee-woon Kim?
    Yep, I have seen I Saw the Devil.

I am a huge horror film fan- would go so far to say I am a bit of an expert on the genre. I attend several horror film fests a year and my personal office is covered in metal and horror film paraphernalia. \m/

Absolutely nothing frightens or is extreme enough for me.

I will probably see It at some point soonish, mostly because of the positive reception, and the fact that it's not just a pure horror. I've realized I don't really care for "pure horrors" or "pure comedies", such one-trick ponies rarely have enough meat to grab me.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    it's not just a pure horror.
    It's not. A lot of the run time is just about kids playing around in summer. A lot of Stand by Me (which was also a King novel) in the film, narrative and book of It.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It's not. A lot of the run time is just about kids playing around in summer.
    It sounds like me calling it the G word was correct. I'm glad my impressions from a 2 minute trailer were absolutely correct. My movie rating ability is truly superb.

No but seriously, I need movies with action. I don't wanna stare at someone's facial expression on the screen for 10 seconds each scene or crazy long character interactions where people just look at each other and have THAT be the movie. Life is fast paced in 2017. [Necessary] Plot needs to move along at a good pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Yep, I have seen I Saw the Devil.

I am a huge horror film fan- would go so far to say I am a bit of an expert on the genre. I attend several horror film fests a year and my personal office is covered in metal and horror film paraphernalia. \m/

Absolutely nothing frightens or is extreme enough for me.
    I appear to have underestimated your inclination for horror films. I suppose I should be the one coming to you for recommendations in the genre, then. Did you like I Saw the Devil?

One last attempt: In the Realm of the Senses by Nagisa Ōshima?

Fight Club (1999)
    American Beauty (1999)
    The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
    Forrest Gump (1994)
    The Lion King (1994)
    Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991)
    Dead Poets Society (1989)
    12 Angry Men (1957)
    Do your 21st century recommendation list. I need more movies to cross compare with people to decide what to watch next.

Don't worry I'm still working on other people's lists.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    How is an "okay" only worth 2 out of 10 lol
    "okay" means it wasn't a horrible way to pass time. But it wasn't something I'd recommend going out of your way to watch.

Alien Covenant. I did not think much of it at first but the more i thought about what David the android was doing, the more i liked it. I especially love how it ended.

Hitman's Bodyguard - 6/10

It's a classic action comedy where somebody has to save the day. Typical boring and predictable plot, I felt like I saw the movie already because I probably already saw 5 different movies that are similar to this one.

However, it's worth watching just because of Ryan and Samuel. They are a good pair comedy-wise and they gave me a couple of genuine laughs. I'd definitely want to see them together again.

Plus, Gary Oldman is the villain. It doesn't matter whether the movie sucks or not if Gary Oldman is the villain.
    Last edited by Archon14; 2017-09-11 at 04:09 PM.

death note (2017)
    3/10
    this movie was painfully boring, had some okay moments, but felt like final destination, with ryuk... don't bother unless u want to rewatch the anime to wash the bad taste out of your mouth

Inuyasha the Movie: Affections Touching Across Time (映画犬夜叉 時代を越える想い) (2001)
    6/10
    interesting, i love inuyasha, so this was fun to watch! the whole moth thing was rather silly though

IT (2017) 7/10
    great acting, specially for the kids. Pennywise felt more of a Joker than Pennywise.
    the story was a bit rushed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Do your 21st century recommendation list. I need more movies to cross compare with people to decide what to watch next.

You haven't watched Fight Club or American Beauty?
    Dude what are you doing with your life? Hurry up, they are masterpieces.

If you want action and horror...humm that's a tough one. Horror + Action = Bad Movie most of the times
    You can try the "The Grudge" series. The American adaptation of Ju-on. They are cheesy as fuck though but my friends and i made a marathon of the 3 movies and we had a blast.
    A personal favorite of mine is "One Missed Call (2003). I came across it on my "Asian Horror Movie Phase".

I just love Asian Horror movies but most people dislike the language/cultural barrier. You don't have many options on the Horror genre believe me i had "a phase" for Horror and it was hard as balls finding a good movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctagon View Post
    In the meantime, make a note of The Witch (2015/2016), if you haven't seen it. I usually don't watch horror, but The Witch is excellent on a technical level – lighting, colouring, soundtrack, and all. It's also a perfect example of what can happen when an idea is planted in someone's mind, and how that can cause a family to fall apart.
    Saw The Witch (IMDB link since it seems obscure) in living room while doing some work with Kindle and on a clipboard. A non-spoiler summary is that it's a movie about this Amish (Jesus loving in the 1800s, low tech) family who gets banished from their settlement in the first minute of the movie, and the rest of the movie is a witch causing things to cause internal strife between them by off-screen magicking since they live alone in isolation now sorta.

It's not 10/10. I'd call it a really niche horror-but-not-modern movie. I liked it I guess but that's personal bias for liking the category.

As mentioned in the quote, the background music, and everything else is pretty decently done. But the movie itself is all atmosphere. Like, it doesn't even feel that scary, but it is believable where it sucks you into the world of the movie so that you kind of forget about the real world. (As opposed to even good action movies where the car chases end up being so distracting that you do realize you're watching a movie since it goes by so quickly.) However, the plot and characters are really simplistic.

I'll give it like a 3.25/10 only because of the atmosphere. That was well done. Plot and story leave a lot to be desired. I know it's low budget and all and it's probably amazing for what the movie was given (I'm saying this for @Arctagon 's sake who will probably be mad I rated it relatively lowly), but ehhhh a 10/10 movie is excellent in every category of what a movie is.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post

"*" means I've given it 10/10, the others I've given 9/10:

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) *
    The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) *
    The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) *
    Batman Begins (2005)
    V for Vendetta (2005) *
    The Prestige (2006)
    WALL-E (2008)
    The Dark Knight (2008) *
    Toy Story 3 (2010)
    Inception (2010) *
    The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
    Django Unchained (2012)
    Pacific Rim (2013)
    Gravity (2013)
    Rush (2013)
    Frozen (2013)
    Whiplash (2014)
    Boyhood (2014)
    The LEGO Movie (2014)
    X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)
    Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
    The Imitation Game (2014)
    Birdman (2014)
    Interstellar (2014) *
    Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
    Inside Out (2015) *
    The Martian (2015)
    Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)
    The Revenant (2015)
    Arrival (2016)
    Hacksaw Ridge (2016)
    Dunkirk (2017)

Inside Out (2015) *
    I like you.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis