Page 38 of 53 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    That isn't remotely the same thing, if your friends call you whatever the fuck you want that is between you and them, you call someone random you don't know that shit, then you own whatever reaction you get.
    If I had a dollar for every time I got called a "faggot" or a "nigger" by some rando online... I could pay my student loans off. Not once has anyone within said group of fellow gamers been an outraged as people pretend to be here.

People say them to be vile and offensive, that's WHY they say it.
    Last edited by A dot Ham; 2017-09-11 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsc92 View Post
    No one is a racist unless you can directly prove it. You can't accuse someone of having the wrong thoughts, and if you're owning up to racism; you probably aren't a racist at all. You're more likely a brainwashed low testosterone male. I'm not trying to be insulting here at all, in fact I'm working on it for my thesis, there does seem to be a huge correlation between testosterone count and taking conciliatory and self deprecating stances amongst college aged males.

Felix isn't a racist, but you have to understand that realistically, the group of people who think he is a racist, will only exist in their echo chamber. No one in the mainstream is going to listen to people with extremist views, especially since calling someone a racist nowadays has virtually no meaning.

Calling Pewdiepie a racist is if anything an endorsement of him not being politically correct, since these attacks on him he has only become more popular after all. All the social power that the word 'racist' held was expended in the general election where it was overused to the point that everyone become desensitised.

Call Felix whatever you want but let me know when he actually causes tangible harm to someone on the grounds of ethnicity. Until then, kindly crawl back into whatever hole you came from.
    LOL, ok bro. I don't think Pewdiepie is racist, but to sit here and say he isn't, like you actually know is funny. What he said was racist, and you don't need to be a "liberal sjw", to see that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

I've never felt racist when i told my wife "nigger please!" when she does something stupid with technology.
    Now if i yelled it AT a black guy in an angry voice yeah i'd be a fucking racist...
    Context matters, even with "bad" words.
    Same if i yell "cunt" at my computer when it crashes in annoying ways..no one gives a crap. If i yell it at my wife in albertsons yeah im a douchebag..

CONTEXT..it matters people

Wow, looks like this post sure did bring out the edgelords

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Sadly you are being racist, even if you feel you're just being hilarious. When it comes to that context it has to be funnier than it is racist.
    Difficult to gauge when so many millennials seem to be autistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsc92 View Post
    Honestly it actually disgusts me that you guys sit here blaming Pewds when YouTube are the ones drunk on power implementing all these horrible things. And if major youtubers don't like it they should band together and find a new platform.
    who gives a shit what disgusts you, the issue isn't your feelings or MY feelings on Pewdieplzdie. it's that YouTube and really advertisers don't want to be associated with this kind of behavior. I would like advertisers to not care as much as they do. it's their product and their dollars and it forces YouTube to implement these shitty community tools that fucks over EVERYONE else on that platform. I could give a shit less if Felix is a racist or an idiot, I care when his behavior encourages the reaction we're seeing now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Well, according to your logic, you just said it, thus you're racist.
    Please tell me you can give a substantially better rebuttal than this. There's literally no effort given here
    and it's really sad.

What? Do you mean context matters?!
    There can never be any "context" for any racial slur. A racial slur basically says, "I hate you, your family, your
    entire race." Blind, uneducated hate that generalizes negativity.

Just because Pewdiepie didn't say it antagonistically towards an African person doesn't change the fact that the
    N-word is a word of hate. Basically the only step up from a curse word like "asshole", "cunt" and so forth is to
    call someone a slur that insults the person's race. No one that is not racist ever uses a racial slur for any reason.
    Not to insult someone, not to "joke" about someone, period. So him calling that guy an N-word is not only beyond
    pathetic (considering the mountain of other choices he could've said), but it goes to show that if his immediate
    response was a racial slur, I'm sorry, but it means he has some closeted feelings of racism. I've never gotten so
    mad at someone that I blurt out a racial slur towards them. Neither do a great deal of other people, so there's no
    real "excuse" or "context" where it was completely fine for him to say that.

Idiots throw that and any other racial slur because those words carry a great deal more impact than your typical
    insult and everyday curse word. Anyone can be called an asshole. Not everyone can be called an N-word or any
    other racial slur.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's whatever to me, some people are offended some aren't. I guess considering the scope of his influence, he has a higher standard to maintain. Which he failed to do. Do I think he is racist? I dunno, that would be thought policing. Do I think what he did was racist? Not really but it wasn't acceptable either.

Like with most words, time and place.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    There can never be any "context" for any racial slur. A racial slur basically says, "I hate you, your family, your
    You ever considered the possibility that people can say things they don't actually mean? Or is every statement ever made taken for its literal value?

10+ Year Old Account
    I use the word with friends and my girlfriend as a joke. Is it ok in a public place? nope. not at all. I think pewdiepie forgot he was being watched by thousands of people when he dropped the n bomb, and not just in discord with his friends.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Nigger =/= Nigga

Massive different to them. Nigger is hands 99%. Nigga is 99% fine if another brotha says it, 50/50 on some white saying it.
    "Nigga" is just a usual pronunciation of the word by black people. You could argue that it has recently separated itself from the word of origin as a slang, which would be fair enough, but in essence it's spelled nigger unless your source is rap music, which would make it the equivalent of "boi" for "boy" or "don't" used in third person as proper grammar.

Doesn't matter after all...Border line is, using the word in environments where you can offend someone makes you an asshole, therefore I don't plan on saying that kind of stuff simply out of decency towards other people.
    Even though you seem like a person who will not agree with what I have to say, racism is about whether you think a race is inferior, or deserves different treatment based on their race, which indirectly means the intention behind the words you point at them, not the words themselves. The words used in inappropriate situations, however, make you a douche bag.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    I kinda hope he stops doing shit for charities at this point because all that doesn't seem to matter because he's literally Satan by saying the N word once. Let's just forget all the good shit he's done because he said one word that EVERYONE has said at least once or twice in their life.

He fucked up, he definitely did, it's not like the last time when the media launched an attack on him and took it out of context to make themselves seem like the good guys, but I did expect him to not use the word as he'll become such a big target if he does.

When toxic streamers like Mitch, Tyler1 (especially him) and Greek can refrain from using the N word, then he should definitely be able to stop himself from that too.

But the dev from that irrelevant game studio was way out of line, that's the bigger story here. By fake DMCAing and abusing the copyright system, he's just being a little twat like the guy that sued H3H3.
    And I think it's probably VERY LIKELY that he did not consult with the company he works for before doing so. He's the co-founder so he likely thought he had the right to do that and in the process made those who work for the company seem like idiots.

It's estimated that Pew's Firewatch video (6 million views or so) had boosted the sales by 100 000 which is a fuck ton of money, and him trying to gather attention is likely going to hurt the future sales of any games they create.

It seems to me that there's the snowflake non-gaming crowd that's hating on Felix and the gaming crowd is pissed off cuz of the developer.
    The part with the developer seemed to gather more attention among youtubers than him saying the N word itself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by darkvexen View Post
    I use the word with friends and my girlfriend as a joke. Is it ok in a public place? nope. not at all. I think pewdiepie forgot he was being watched by thousands of people when he dropped the n bomb, and not just in discord with his friends.
    Yeh, that's where he fucked up tbh, he did it in front of 30k+ people. He probably knew this uproar would happen as soon as he realized what he had said in the heat of the moment. It was an idiotic mistake on his behalf.

Most youtubers that are hating on him are just afraid that it'll cause the "adpocalypse 2.0" though I doubt that tbh. He is no longer associated with Disney so it won't affect his income at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post

Just because Pewdiepie didn't say it antagonistically towards an African person doesn't change the fact that the
    N-word is a word of hate. Basically the only step up from a curse word like "asshole", "cunt" and so forth is to
    call someone a slur that insults the person's race. No one that is not racist ever uses a racial slur for any reason.
    Not to insult someone, not to "joke" about someone, period. So him calling that guy an N-word is not only beyond
    pathetic (considering the mountain of other choices he could've said), but it goes to show that if his immediate
    response was a racial slur, I'm sorry, but it means he has some closeted feelings of racism. I've never gotten so
    mad at someone that I blurt out a racial slur towards them. Neither do a great deal of other people, so there's no
    real "excuse" or "context" where it was completely fine for him to say that.

Idiots throw that and any other racial slur because those words carry a great deal more impact than your typical
    insult and everyday curse word. Anyone can be called an asshole. Not everyone can be called an N-word or any
    other racial slur.
    First of all there absolutely can be context, we are discussing the word itself now, and I think most of us are writing the word "nigger" simply to discuss it, not to insult anyone. Quoting the word when someone says it also seems fine to me, I mean you're just quoting to give context to the conversation. Also just compare it to any other insult or even a race-based insult, it's absolutely the same, only this word became notorious and others didn't.

But I do agree that what Pewdiepie said was a racial slur used in a hateful context, which is disgusting and in really poor taste. Unlike words like "asshole" or whatever, these words actually have a group of people targeted. He may be a closeted racist like you say BUT this doesn't prove anything, as I mentioned in a comment above he may have just been listening to a lot of Filthyfrank and other "edgy" content creators (which is confirmed that he does), meaning that the words that they spam, which includes "nigger", may have got stuck in his head and he just burst them out the same way as they would. This explanation may seem far fetched, and who knows, maybe it is, even though our brains can indeed work that way.

My point is not to defend him because, like I said, what he did was disgusting. I'm trying to say that just because someone fucks up, for whatever reason, doesn't automatically mean they are racist, and that there IS a window of context where it's "not the end of the world" however small the window may be. Hell Tarantino bursts out "nigger" many times during interviews, does that make him racist after all he's done to raise awareness of that sad part of the American history?

Oh and "N-word" has the meaning of a certain word behind it, and it doesn't hide that fact. We all know what it is, so in my mind it doesn't change its meaning at all...but hey, different people have different ways of thinking I guess.

10+ Year Old Account

Jim Sterling has an interesting take on it thats not really about the word or its use or why. The first half of the video is about those CSGO guys who ran a gambling ring, but the second half is him expressing worry that Youtube may become regulated like TV networks soon.

Its not an unwarranted feeling. Pewdiepie was one of the initial channels behind apocalypse when the WSJ wrote about it. Tons of channels I am subbed to have felt the pressure and have had to change their content because Youtube is basically run by a robot. Modding channels, DBZ channels, random gaming channels, parody channels, everything has taken a hit. Strange Mysteries one of my guilty pleasures basically dedicates a video to patreon subbed people only now.
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2017-09-11 at 11:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hell MxR hardly does modding videos anymore because he will get demonitized, while he and his cohost manage to do decent content outside of the modding scene, it kinda fucking sucks. I liked his weekly modding vids.

Possibly the best development in regards to Youtube is the fact that certain people are no longer getting paid to turn a camera on themselves for a couple hours a week and calling it a job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Electryon View Post
    Possibly the best development in regards to Youtube is the fact that certain people are no longer getting paid to turn a camera on themselves for a couple hours a week and calling it a job.
    someones jealous

Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post
    If I had a dollar for every time I got called a "faggot" or a "nigger" by some rando online... I could pay my student loans off. Not once has anyone within said group of fellow gamers been an outraged as people pretend to be here.

People say them to be vile and offensive, that's WHY they say it.
    Yes. And that's a huge fucking problem. The gaming community should not tolerate that kind of behavior.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Electryon View Post
    Or people who make their entire living off of talking in front of a camera, but then somehow manage to round up a bag of retards who get upset when that person is held accountable for the things they say on that camera.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Who cares?

Like seriously, who cares?
    Only the most soft and sensitive people in the world who have'nt gone through a real struggle once in their life.