Page 40 of 53 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Dunno, is a Russian a race? And am i a stereotype? I thought i at best had a "C" grade at being a Russian stereotype. I mean, i don't drink vodka, i don't play balalayka (while i do have one actually), i don't play button accordion, i don't have an Ushanka, i don't call people "comrades". Damn, i need to get myself together.
    you forgot the most important of all, do you own a pet bear?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Do Russians really refer to one another as "comrade"?
    comrade is an american word, but russians do sometimes refer to one another as "[tɐˈvarʲɪɕː]", which is a direct translation
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    People who aren't racist don't use the word in private or "let it slip". It's not part of their vocabulary whether they are drunk, upset or anything else.
    This is pretty much the end of the discussion, here. I've never let this word slip because I don't use it. If you let a word slip when you're drunk/angry/etc then it means it's a word you use at least somewhat regularly in some context. Given that the context he used it in (ie: the guy did something that made him upset so he called him one) really didn't seem like a positive context either (he wasn't say hi/greeting the person as a friend, pretty much the only common usage of the word that doesn't have a mostly negative connotation), how can you honestly say he meant nothing bad by it?

You know what words I say when I'm angry/drunk? Things like shit, damn, fuck, etc. You know what I don't say when I'm drunk? Any sort of racial slur/racist language. That's because I use the former words fairly regularly in various settings, and the later words only in discussions pertaining to the word itself (ie: ramifications of the word and it's usage) or I'm doing a direct quote of someone who used it.

Does it mean he's a racist and hates black people? Not necessarily, but the fact that he was using the word not only while angry but in a negative context definitely indicates that it is a common usage of the word for him, so I really don't buy the defense. Especially not when this isn't his first run in with using racially charged language/jokes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Except it's never directed at anyone and no one hears it but me.

It's literally no different from someone tossing their helmet on the sideline in frustration.
    You know, after applying some of my mental gymnastic skills i've realized that he threw it at a player who he was shooting his rifle at... and who was running away...
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

It's literally no different from someone tossing their helmet on the sideline in frustration.
    Except tossing a helmet has never been used as a means to derogatorily refer to an entire group of people. Pretty big difference there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    They are not abusing the copyright strike system at all. Don't arm chair lawyer your not good at it. As I have already posted once in this thread they are well within there legal right.

To quote myself.

The law is on the dev's side in this issue.

(From a Actually Lawyer, Read the tweets he comments about ths)
    https://twitter.com/MrRyanMorrison/s...41977887186944

The dev's have the right to revoke at any time even more so when they see that something can damage there IP/Brand. Felix can fight it but he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Fair Use isn't a law its a defense and Lets Play videos have never been seen as Fair Use.

Can't abuse something when you are within your legal right.
    Yup. If they want to take something down they are well within their right to do so. But trying to gang up on a youtuber by trying to get other devs to stand on their side of not allowing him to play their games is asinine. He slipped up and said a bad word. I don't condone it and he'll more than likely come out and say exactly that. It was an honest mistake. We've all said bad things whether by accident or with a group of friends. In the heat of the moment he slipped up. Yeesh. We're all human. Some people will not accept this or feel it's enough and I understand that. But goodness, he's not a bad person. He makes some satire stuff here and there that people take out of context. That's about it. For the record, this isn't one of those things and obviously not satire in any way. He just slipped up.

comrade is an american word, but russians do sometimes refer to one another as "[tɐˈvarʲɪɕː]", which is a direct translation
    Huh. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by KCguy View Post
    Yup. If they want to take something down they are well within their right to do so. But trying to gang up on a youtuber by trying to get other devs to stand on their side of not allowing him to play their games is asinine. He slipped up and said a bad word. I don't condone it and he'll more than likely come out and say exactly that. It was an honest mistake. We've all said bad things whether by accident or with a group of friends. In the heat of the moment he slipped up. Yeesh. We're all human. Some people will not accept this or feel it's enough and I understand that. But goodness, he's not a bad person. He makes some satire stuff here and there that people take out of context. That's about it. For the record, this isn't one of those things and obviously not satire in any way. He just slipped up.
    I don't disagree at all. The dev's being like "I'm going to get all my friends to DMCA you as well" is a dick move and crosses a line. But they are within there right to DMCA him and not allow him to stream anymore of there products.

If other dev's/pubs want to fallow along then they should be there choice. They got eyes and ears they know what has gone on.

In the end tho this is pewdiepie's fault, I don't feel he said it by accident personally just because of how he acted in the video. With that said I'm not calling him a racist ether, I don't know the man personally so I can't make that judgement call.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe people should stop taking it out of context? And black people should stop calling each other like that and this word should be simply erased? Or maybe people should start using some fucking context before throwing accusation, or, you know, grow up a bit?

I just don't understand the difference here of him saying fuck, nigger, banana, eskimos, cunt or whatever swedish gibberish he used to say in this case - it wasn't used in a "demeaning of black Americans" context, it was akin to Oblivion NPCs going "UGH!" at you when they hit you. I mean, he didn' even know if he was black or not, how that makes any sense?
    Just say you don't understand the history of race in America without trying to justify something you don't understand.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

no it is different... extremely different.

What's wrong with Keemster?
    That's like asking what's wrong with anal warts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Keyboard Turner
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KCguy View Post
    Y'all aren't too big on accountability are you? When I say fucked up things sometimes people shrug it off and sometimes I get dragged hard. Either way it's not okay. Apparently it's too difficult to just say 'shit my bad', never do it ever again, and move on. (( Plus, this is nowhere near the first time this happens which means in this specific instance it's definitely not just a "slip up" ))

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Dunno, is a Russian a race? And am i a stereotype? I thought i at best had a "C" grade at being a Russian stereotype. I mean, i don't drink vodka, i don't play balalayka (while i do have one actually), i don't play button accordion, i don't have an Ushanka, i don't call people "comrades". Damn, i need to get myself together.
    Are you wearing a track suite and squatting right now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Altberg View Post
    You ever considered the possibility that people can say things they don't actually mean?
    Sure, lots of people do. Lots of sensible, intelligent (and some even less so) people don't go around spouting
    racial slurs in the same vein as an everyday general-usage insult.

Or is every statement ever made taken for its literal value?
    When significant other alternatives are available, and yet said person still makes the asinine decision to using
    terminology incorrectly/purposely, it makes it much harder to NOT take things at literal value.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazar View Post
    Also just compare it to any other insult or even a race-based insult, it's absolutely the same, only this word became notorious and others didn't.
    Aside from Native Americans, Africans have had it the 2nd hardest in the U.S., so the terminology
    used against them is understandably more notorious compared to terminology against other races.

I mean Africans were so disliked that they used the N-Word to describe other people. Ex, Irish were
    once called the "white niggers." That's how bad the N-word is. You don't hear Asian, Hispanic, etc.
    racial slurs used to describe other races.

He may be a closeted racist like you say BUT this doesn't prove anything, as I mentioned in a comment above he may have just been listening to a lot of Filthyfrank and other "edgy" content creators (which is confirmed that he does), meaning that the words that they spam, which includes "nigger", may have got stuck in his head and he just burst them out the same way as they would.
    Then that makes him doubly moronic. Why would anyone listen/follow/support anyone that spouts
    such garbage is beyond me. I stopped following Jontron shortly after his insane racist remarks
    were brought to light. Pewdiepie could do the same.

Its especially hypocritical because he made a video stating that he was dropping the nazi jokes
    in light of what happened in Baltimore, saying things like "not wanting to spread hate" or whatever.
    Its also equally irresponsible, considering he has a large target of young viewers that hang on his
    every word. Its not going to be unsurprising that some of them might pick up and think him saying
    words like this is acceptable.

My point is not to defend him because, like I said, what he did was disgusting. I'm trying to say that just because someone fucks up, for whatever reason, doesn't automatically mean they are racist, and that there IS a window of context where it's "not the end of the world" however small the window may be.
    See, that's where we're going to have to disagree. Because again, I've had my share of shitty days and times
    playing online, and not once do racial or homophobic slurs pop out of my mouth. I know what racial slurs are,
    like most people, but it just never occurs to us to ever say them.

So for him to just blurt it out of the blue? Yeah, that's not an accident.

The only context here is that the window of his private thoughts towards other races was left open. Again.

Hell Tarantino bursts out "nigger" many times during interviews, does that make him racist after all he's done to raise awareness of that sad part of the American history?
    Jury's still out on that one. If he isn't, then Quentin has a HORRIBLE sense of tact.
    Last edited by ThatsOurEric; 2017-09-12 at 06:49 AM.

Even though you seem like a person who will not agree with what I have to say,
    Actually, I do agree with you. It's the intent behind the person saying the words, vs the words themselves, but there are a lot of words that just probably shouldn't be used in private or among your little group of friends (generalized, not YOUR little group) as it becomes very common to use a word that'll spill out when you are at a grocery store, or a music festival or when you get camped in a video game. I know I'm guilty of that, but I'm also old and don't give a fuck for the most part.
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

I'm not oblivious to the way things work. What I meant is black people say nigger to the people they find dear all the time, hence the conclusion that the word itself is not a problem, it's who uses it, regardless of the context, which is bullshit.
    Therefore I think context should be what matters and nothing else

No they don't. They say nigga which is an entirely different use of the word with a different spelling. In fact asians use it latinos use it whites use it. Especially in urban areas. They don't say nigger.... furthermore I feel like you people don't get the difference or just don't want to since it ruins your argument.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Beardless Man View Post
    Oh how cute. You think that we should just shut up and let black people call each other niggers all they want.
    Watch the video, and stop being an ignorant pest for one moment. There is no power to take back if the word remains the same. You don't change the meaning if you just strip it away from one group of people.

Either all of it is okay, or none of it. Nigga and Nigger are the same word, two different pronunciations.

But they don't... very different meanin and use and fucking pronojnciayion and spelling.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LonerStoner View Post
    Most do. Usually have a bullshit 'taking the power of the word away' excuse to go along with it.

Most black people use the word? What the fuck is this stupidity? Do you get all your world view of black people from music?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by aviger View Post
    I've never felt racist when i told my wife "nigger please!" when she does something stupid with technology.
    Now if i yelled it AT a black guy in an angry voice yeah i'd be a fucking racist...
    Context matters, even with "bad" words.
    Same if i yell "cunt" at my computer when it crashes in annoying ways..no one gives a crap. If i yell it at my wife in albertsons yeah im a douchebag..

CONTEXT..it matters people
    It's kind of like that southern phrase people swear isn't racist. Nigger rigged because it was broke well it must have been built by a nigger.

I'm a white guy with a bunch of white guy friends on the internet. Sometimes when we start a conversation, we'll jokingly say "what's up my niggas", as a satire I guess of black gangstah youth shit you see on tv. Am I a racist now all of a sudden?

I really like Jay-Z's song '"the story of OJ". If I sing a long to the chorus "still nigger", am I suddenly racist now?

Deleted
    I understand the 'this is 2017 why are you mad?' thing.
    Riding the slave boat nowdays is pathetic. You were born a free man. Maby your distant relatives were slaves, which is absolutely a bad thing. Also if they weren't bought to US as slaves you'd probably never been born, and if thats not the case then you'd be living in a mudhut in Niger or some other African country.
    So let it go, the fact that that part of history happened turned out to be a good thing for today's African Americans.

Deleted
    Someone said a thing and people are upset by it. Oh no.

Sorry, why do we care about this?

Quote Originally Posted by rohendar View Post
    I'm a white guy with a bunch of white guy friends on the internet. Sometimes when we start a conversation, we'll jokingly say "what's up my niggas", as a satire I guess of black gangstah youth shit you see on tv. Am I a racist now all of a sudden?

I really like Jay-Z's song '"the story of OJ". If I sing a long to the chorus "still nigger", am I suddenly racist now?
    but would you call a random person a "fucking nigger" as a derogatory term, because they'd annoyed you?
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!