Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Cool Started the keto diet today

I heard the first week is hella tough. Is anyone eating this way?

Pretty excited about this new keto lifestyle
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

I'm sorry, I'll enjoy all the breads for you.

Expect to feel like shit, get migraines, etc. for the first 2 weeks, power through it, and you'll feel amazing after.

Best diet ever... lost all my extra weight in a short time and... never felt better... also began to function on about 6 hours sleep instead of 7 1/2.

My first week wasn't bad I just made sure to get all my electrolytes..

The worse part of the cat piss BO smell. Which lasted like a month before it began to subside.

Depending on your preference for sugary foods, it can either be an easy transition or it can indeed be hell. I just recently got on it, dropped 17 lbs in 2 weeks and felt great...until I got gout, which has put me on my back for over a week now. Be very discerning on the types of foods you eat, because those 17 lbs are not worth this much pain haha.

My girlfriend and I observe a sort of lazy keto diet. I never suffer from keto flu or carb withdraw symptoms, but I can tell you now that eating keto all the time really isn't the most practical lifestyle. You have to observe it basically 4ever or else you gain a lot of the weight you lost from it back.

I do Keto / paleo. The main thing is to take it slow. Let each new moment of success reinforce future behaviors. If you are new there's going to be many "aha!" moments. Probably the best single resource online is this one:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

You aren't necessarily going to "get it" right away. It's a process, mentally and physically. You need to figure it out for you, and your body does too - everyone is a little different. Acclimating to the new lifestyle is going to take time and varies in terms of how tough it is for each individual.

If you don't cook, or think you can just find ready-made stuff it's going to be VASTLY harder to make it work. It becomes an issue of variety, and possibly expense. It's incredibly easy and economical to eat this way at home, eating out requires more diligence than its worth and it will get boring fast.

Take a multi-vitamin and make sure you are well hydrated if thirsty or faced with a headache. Take a baby aspirin as needed. Some like to take potassium and magnesium as safeguards for electrolyte balance. I take 2 hour baths in a garden tub quite frequently to relax and realize that almost every stress in life is just about meaningless.

Main things:
    * You can be either fueled by carbs or fats, and the daily requirement for carbs is zero. Without many fats you will almost certainly die. Coconut oil or butter is great. So is olive oil. Fatty meats and dairy are fine. Don't get too caught up with stupid shit like MCT oil, pretty sure its 100% not any better than regular coconut oil.

* High blood glucose is toxic to you in every way imaginable. Fat doesn't make you fat, sugar makes you fat. The body doesn't distinguish between most sugars: grains, breads, pasta, starchy veg, honey, refined sugar - it's all the same to your body that can convert all that shit into blood glucose almost as quickly as you can blink. The one stand out is Fructose. Fructose is a special case that can only be handled by the liver itself. So guess what? Whole fruits should only be eaten very sparingly and fruit juice is probably even worse for you than regular sugar soda pop. High fructose corn syrup is pretty much the most toxic thing you can ingest. There's a kabillion ways the processed food industry would like you to keep supporting them, so know the names of sugars and avoid them:
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/sites...ar-names_0.png

* If you must have something sweet stick to stevia, sugar alcohols like Xylitol or Erythritol, and pure sucralose in either liquid or powdered forms. No, those aren't wonderful natural products you should consume with abandon, they're highly processed crap - but they are better for you if you are already in late stage glucose toxicity. These are the devils you know and tend to spike insulin very little.

* The cholesterol / statins issue is probably bullshit. Most cholesterol is endogenous and probably guided by DNA. Your brain is comprised of mainly fat and cholesterol, so tread carefully here. I have the idea that the whole statins thing is going to become the "restless leg syndrome" of our era. Real, not real? Dr. Pill can help you!

* Fiber is good for you. Eat lots of leafy green vegetables that have lots of fiber but not many carbs. And this is why you can't have that Cadbury Egg, you don't have carbs to waste on foods that aren't necessary to your good health. You have no carbs to spare.

My wife and I eat this way every day and life has never been better. We literally sit around congratulating ourselves on our shared happiness and how much fun we are having eating and living well. The goddamned Queen of England does not eat better than we do. And the shit we eat is ferociously good food - absolutely delicious.

This whole thing with fad diets taken too far reeks a lot like self-harm and said patients deriving some sort of twisted pleasure out of it over time.

Especially when the scientific evidence actually points to fad dieters having lowered lifespan compared to people who just eat normally and lead a healthy lifestyle.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

I think a fad diet is eating more sugar today than in all of human history. A fad diet is McGovern pretending to make nutritional recommendations and overriding the concerns of his actual experts. From Fathead:
    Last edited by Louisa Bannon; 2017-09-12 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Gimmicks are fun. Good luck with staying keto for the rest of your life.
    Keto isnt meant to be a diet you remain on for life...A low carb diet sure, not keto.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    My girlfriend and I observe a sort of lazy keto diet. I never suffer from keto flu or carb withdraw symptoms, but I can tell you now that eating keto all the time really isn't the most practical lifestyle. You have to observe it basically 4ever or else you gain a lot of the weight you lost from it back.
    Not entirely true, you do have to watch what you eat but thats the same as any diet. It all depends on circumstance.

10+ Year Old Account
    If going in these diets makes you actually happy and healthy then go for it. Just keep in mind that there is more to this utterly short life than worrying about every lb you gain or lose.

You don't have to give up all sweets, you don't have to wistfully look at that double-double when you have been dieting for a while, it is okay to enjoy these things but in moderation. Unless of course you are diabetic or have any familial or genetic diseases that restrict certain foods. For me personally I cut out sugar mostly and I have been reaping the benefits of a healthy diet while not having to torture myself for having eaten that one cookie once in a while or having an ice-cream shake.

Being healthy and being miserable aren't mutually exclusive.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

10+ Year Old Account
    Look up ketogains on Facebook and reddit. You won't regret it
    Dear frozen yogurt, you are the celery of desserts. Be ice cream or be nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Uh-huh. It's also not really recommended at all unless you are medically advised to start it.
    Funny thing about modern doctors, they don't know much about nutrition:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2430660/

I have spent hundreds of hours researching nutrition, diet variations, and general food culture from the standpoint of a passionately interested human being that likes to cook.

Doctors today really are sort of "cut, burn, and poison" types. You present with a problem, they use their tool kit to fix it. Human nutrition isn't like that, it's nuanced and complicated. Our information is actually quite limited. Most studies are wholly inadequate in terms of methodology and sample size. Most of what you think you know about nutrition is probably extrapolated from the flimsiest possible data points.

Effectively, there are no dots to connect. The science is very weak tea.

Deleted
    Replacing carbs with fats but keeping the same calories intake will do you no good.

Make sure you consult a medic before trying anything like this or you might damage your body (diabetes etc..)

Deleted
    As I actually enjoy eating, no thank you.

Anyone on Keto experienced chest pain at the beginning?

10+ Year Old Account
    Lost over 250 pounds on Keto/Atkins. If I ever start getting tubby again I'm going right back on it.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    As I actually enjoy eating, no thank you.
    Probably just anecdotal, but I find that most people that make statements like this don't cook, don't know how to eat, and probably don't have a developed ability to taste either. You could be an exception, but generally speaking you probably aren't.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    I eat low carb to help control blood sugars (actually the most effective method to have really good blood sugar control). About the only problem I remember initially is diarrhea being more common for the first few weeks (this is because it takes that amount of time for your body to shift enzyme balance between your old diet and your new diet, so it won't be fully processing your new diet efficiently until then).

I think the biggest challenge with any diet is that most of the food in the grocery store is junk food, so it becomes off limits. While it doesn't usually harm a diet to occasionally cheat, the reality is that it goes from a once / week cheat to once / day cheat to you basically eating all that junk food again.

The 2nd biggest challenge is that most foods that support a good diet either cost a good deal more prepared, or you have to learn to plan better so you can prepare things on your own. A lot of the low-carb candy is very high in sugar alcohols which will cause diarrhea if consumed in even moderate quantities, so beware of those tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    Exactly this.

These diets work and don't work at the same time. Simplified explanation, when you eat, you get glucose for energy, it also gets converted to glycogen and stored in cells for later use. Carbs are generally great towards this. You get complex carbs which releases energy slowly through out your day and you get simple carbs which are quick bursts of energy.

When you exercise, as a rule of thumb, you use glucose up first, then your glycogen store, then your body starts to metabolise the fat you have stored (left over from taking in to much food, like carbs and sugars. Again, as a general rule this takes on average 45 minutes to deplete all your stores and begin to access the fat. Post exercise you eat, you restore the stores ready for next time. This is why weight loss takes time. Eat, store, exercise, replenish,

When you're doing a diet like this, you're essentially 'bypassing' the storage parts. You're constantly using the fat or accessing the fat very quickly for you're day to day function, not because you're being physical or doing exercise (on avg, course some people will be).

The problem you can have doing this, is using you're fat storage quickly and losing it, then giving up your diet is the body will go 'Oh shit food, need to replenish those stores!', which results in you putting the weight back on. Except because it's the bodies reaction (think of like, the body thinking oh shit I don't know when I'll get fed like this again), it'll store the food as fat quicker and more of it. Meaning you'll gain more weight at the end.

I've seen friends and family use this diet and ones similar to it, they all have great results then a few years down the line they have the occasional nice meal here or there, then another and before you know it they are back to their former size and bigger.

If you're sure you can do the diet indefinitely, then go for it just remember at that point you're not on a diet you're on a complete life style change.