Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    This is very simple. Everyone's vote should be equal. The electoral college ensures that voters are not equal. A farmer living in Idaho doesn't somehow know better what the country needs than a farmer in California.

Republicans are dishonest on this issue. They use every excuse to keep the EC except the one they really believe: It helps republicans win. That's the only reason they favor it. It helps keep dems out of power. That's it.

Every other thing they say about the subject is 100% bullshit.
    Last edited by Blur4stuff; 2017-09-12 at 06:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    Conversely, you would like to see the more "populated" states have the undue influence instead? Wow, how fucking magnanimous of you, LOL.
    Well, at least you've decided to clearly state your hate for democracy as a concept, I guess. That's something.

I have more faith in the "flyover" states than I do in the rat's nests known as Los Angeles, San Fransisco, Portland, Seattle, Chicago, and New York. Thankfully we have the "flyover" states - where the REAL Americans live - to counterbalance the hive-mind LUNACY of the aforementioned rats-nests.
    Ahh, lunacy.

The Democrats base their entire platform on social issues - that is all they have. They don't give a fuck about borders, language, and culture.
    All three are definitively social issues. And I'm pretty sure your issue with them is that you don't like their platform on those issues. Far from "not caring", they DO care, just about different things than you do.

And particularly with "language" and "culture", you seem to be at least walking the same ground as white supremacists.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Honestly if Ransath loves Trump independence than I would hope he would not mind Trump working with whomever to get policies done. I'm pretty sure I am wrong on my evaluation on Ransath.
    I don't care - as long as the policies he ran on are implemented that is fine with me. In fact, I was quite happy he gave the finger to McConnell and Ryan and worked with the Democrats. After all, that is the way this country is supposed to operate. We are supposed to cooperate and compromise. That went out the door when that dumb fuck McConnell treated Obama they way he did.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    And particularly with "language" and "culture", you seem to be at least walking the same ground as white supremacists.
    What-the-fuck-ever. Typical response - labels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because you aren't liable to label any and everyone who disagrees with you. Pot, kettle.

Fact of the matter is that the Electoral College, much like the Senate; indeed, the entire electoral system of the United States is pretty much designed to empower rural voters at the expense of urban ones. Because slavery. Yay.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2017-09-12 at 07:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

7+ Year Old Account
    You are right - that IS crazy. Thankfully, we don't do things the "crazy" way. We have the EC so that the entire country is represented, not just by a bunch of city pukes that think a hard day's work is debugging software.
    This leads me to believe that you have never spent days at a time trying to locate a single strand of code that is interacting improperly with another strand of code inside a construct that is many thousands upon thousands of strings long.....
    It's not as easy as you obviously believe it is. I doubt you could do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I wonder if she ever visits Jisreal. It’s like Isreal, but for Jews.

You seem particularly upset by that response.

Is it surprising that a party that calls itself "The Democrats" wants a more democratic system for electing their president.

Don't get me wrong it isn't just the US or 2-party systems that have problems with their democratic systems - the recent alliance between the Conservatives and the DUP in the UK highlighted issues we have with our parliamentary system - but when it comes to a nation electing a president it seems really weird that the winner could be anyone but the person who receives the most votes.

Typical response, got nothing to say to dispute it so throw your tiny hands up and walks away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Far left? Trump called for a revolution when he thought Romney won the popular vote... at least Trump did lose the popular vote, for his opponents to demand a solution.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Korlok View Post
    This leads me to believe that you have never spent days at a time trying to locate a single strand of code that is interacting improperly with another strand of code inside a construct that is many thousands upon thousands of strings long.....
    It's not as easy as you obviously believe it is. I doubt you could do it.
    Mental work - not physical work. Your statement leads me to believe that you have never framed a house, swung a hammer, refurbished a toilet, installed a heating/ac unit. It's not as easy as you obviously believe it is. I doubt you could do it.

Good luck finding the misplaced ampersand, lol.

...have you looked at your posts lately, Tomi Lahren?

Mental work - not physical work. Your statement leads me to believe that you have never framed a house, swung a hammer, refurbished a toilet, installed a heating/ac unit. It's not as easy as you obviously believe it is. I doubt you could do it.

Could luck finding the misplaced ampersand, lol.
    Who has said that much of the skilled trades work you listed is easy? You're the only one implying that desk jobs are easy, here.

Spoilers - I've worked both manual labor/trades and desk-jobs. Both have their own challenges and skillsets, and have their own relevant levels of importance both in a practical day-to-day sense and in the broader discussion about the importance of work diversity in the broader economy.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2017-09-12 at 07:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Is it surprising that a party that calls itself "The Democrats" wants a more democratic system for electing their president.

Don't get me wrong it isn't just the US or 2-party systems that have problems with their democratic systems - the recent alliance between the Conservatives and the DUP in the UK highlighted issues we have with our parliamentary system - but when it comes to a nation electing a president it seems really weird that the winner could be anyone but the person who receives the most votes.
    The US electoral system was designed for a country that effectively no longer exists, it's hardly surprising that said system causes innumerable problems two centuries on. The UK needed the Reform Acts in a similar capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Could luck finding the misplaced ampersand, lol.
    Are both not somehow important to America continuing to function in our contemporary technologically advanced system and economy?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    Are both not somehow important to America continuing to function in our contemporary technologically advanced system and economy?
    I think the end goal of the "conservative" wack jobs is a return to an agrarian society...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Since the Middle Ages, the ''value'' of physical work, especially non skilled physical work, have been dropping in free fall. That's why the people picking turnips in the US are not exactly...how would you say...

10+ Year Old Account

I've done both and saying one is more difficult than the other is a mater of opinion. I found them both to be difficult at times and easy at others. I do what I do now, because it's a far more lucrative and fulfilling work.

I've carried 100+ pound bags of garbage in NYC during a snow storm and worked 16 hour days, including weekends, for 3 months during a launch. I can tell you which one is worse if my hip is out or if I want to keep friends...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    I think the end goal of the "conservative" wack jobs is a return to an agrarian society...
    I love America so much I would like to see it horribly crippled.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I think a good compromise and probably the best-of-both-worlds approach is to eliminate the winner takes all provision in the states. This idea that 51% of voters get 100% of the electoral votes in a state is stupid.

There is no reason for it to be that way. Someone gets 60% of the vote? They get 60% of the EC votes from that state.

You strike a balance of every vote counting with preserving some of the smaller states ability to influence an election. It also changes the concept of "Swing states" and makes red and blue states worthwhile for both candidates.

- - - Updated - - -

The possibility of a Democrat winning again in the next 20 years is slim to none. The Democrats are done as a party. They represent nothing but emotions. All of their "leaders" are a total fucking joke.
    Funny enough change Democrat to GOP and your statement is just as valid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    I never said they weren't. All I said was that some people think debugging hardware is a "hard days work". It isn't. Hauling bricks and mud up 3 stories for 8 hours is a hard days' work.

I never said they weren't. All I said was that some people think debugging hardware is a "hard days work". It isn't. Hauling bricks and mud up 3 stories is a hard days' work.
    In terms of physical difficulty, yes. But that's not the only kind of difficulty that can present itself in a work environment, which I'm sure you understand.