alienware 17 r4 gtx 1070 heating issues still?

hello, i just purchased the aw17r4 with the 1070 and i7 7700hq. ive heard that theyve had heating issues because of poor thermalpaste applications. does anyone know if dell has addressed this and improved it? if not, is there a guide or something that i can do to fix this issue before i experience it 1st hand or would it be better to just cancel the order and find a diff gaming laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by bamf775 View Post
    hello, i just purchased the aw17r4 with the 1070 and i7 7700hq. ive heard that theyve had heating issues because of poor thermalpaste applications. does anyone know if dell has addressed this and improved it? if not, is there a guide or something that i can do to fix this issue before i experience it 1st hand or would it be better to just cancel the order and find a diff gaming laptop?
    be careful not to void your warranty prior to even turning it on....

Cancel the order and go with anyone else! Alienware are so not worth it and yes i know they look "pretty" too lol

I suggest ASUS ROG and MSI

I'm not sure how you expect Dell to fix it when it's a "problem" with the intel CPU. Are you even aware what the so-called "problem" is? It's the thermal paste in between that metal cover that covers the actual CPU. It's not the best stuff in the world, but it's not terrible either. The only way to "fix" it is to de-lid the CPU which would void the warranty. Actually, since it's Dell, even opening the case will likely void your warranty. Taking the Heatsink off and removing the CPU from the motherboard would definitely void your warranty. De-lidding the CPU voids even intel's own warranty, so not something Dell is gonna do and unless you know what you are doing, you should not either. Seeing as it's a laptop, I am not even sure if this is possible to do.

All in all, it's not as big of a deal as people make it out to be though. Personally, I would not get an alienware anyway, there are better options out there, but this particular issue is going to appear in all of them. It's intel's doing and the only way to "solve" it is to de-lid the CPU which will void the warranty. No laptop builder out there is going to be de-lidding their CPUs and voiding their warranties. They still need to be able to return the things to intel if they get returned to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I'm not sure how you expect Dell to fix it when it's a "problem" with the intel CPU. Are you even aware what the so-called "problem" is? It's the thermal paste in between that metal cover that covers the actual CPU. It's not the best stuff in the world, but it's not terrible either. The only way to "fix" it is to de-lid the CPU which would void the warranty. Actually, since it's Dell, even opening the case will likely void your warranty. Taking the Heatsink off and removing the CPU from the motherboard would definitely void your warranty. De-lidding the CPU voids even intel's own warranty, so not something Dell is gonna do and unless you know what you are doing, you should not either. Seeing as it's a laptop, I am not even sure if this is possible to do.

All in all, it's not as big of a deal as people make it out to be though. Personally, I would not get an alienware anyway, there are better options out there, but this particular issue is going to appear in all of them. It's intel's doing and the only way to "solve" it is to de-lid the CPU which will void the warranty. No laptop builder out there is going to be de-lidding their CPUs and voiding their warranties. They still need to be able to return the things to intel if they get returned to them.
    Im sorry i thought it was the paste between cpu cooler and cpu. My mistake. Is there something similar you would recommend that isnt a desktop?

Well, i had a clevo157sm with i7-4700mq and gtx 770m which i purchased 4 yrs ago and i loved that laptop. It was quiet, cool, and tough as nails. I was thinking about getting another clevo from sager but i kept hearing good things from all the reviews recently except for heating issues which is surprising for a thick build like the aw 17.
    Last edited by bamf775; 2017-09-12 at 06:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a gaming laptop, not the same one but i took it apart (which was a pain in the ass) and replaced the cooler to cpu paste and it dropped the temps 20C on average. The paste they used was fucking terrible shit.

Im sorry i thought it was the paste between cpu cooler and cpu. My mistake. Is there something similar you would recommend that isnt a desktop?

Well, i had a clevo157sm with i7-4700mq and gtx 770m which i purchased 4 yrs ago and i loved that laptop. It was quiet, cool, and tough as nails. I was thinking about getting another clevo from sager but i kept hearing good things from all the reviews recently except for heating issues which is surprising for a thick build like the aw 17.
    No. It's an inherent problem with that entire series of intel CPUs. It's something intel decided, that instead of using solder(which does transfer heat better but also wears out faster), to use something cheaper that didn't transfer heat as well, but would last for the life of the CPU. It's not really an issue though. There are a lot of people that make it sound like an issue, but it is not an issue. If you want a laptop, that's fine, I don't make recommendations on laptops as I am pretty unfamiliar with them. Stay away from Alienware is about all I know. Sager/Clevo do make great laptops. So do ASUS, Razr and MSI though I think.

15+ Year Old Account
    @Lathais:
    Just an informational point, this is a 7700HQ... there is no IHS, it's die directly on heatsink cooling.
    It's a laptop CPU, 35W TDP.

Replacing the paste may actually help but I'd rather bet on the fact that the cooling system itself is piss poor (read: inadequate) and that's the high temps explained.