Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I've always avoided carbs since a very young age just out of preference, and a few years ago I learned about ketogenic diets. I've basically been on a loose ketogenic diet for most of my life. Never been fat or extremely skinny and overall quite healthy. Definitely recommend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    That's a random comment ... lol. You are correct, starvation won't be an issue - and in itself isn't dangerous.

Which is why I NEVER EVEN MENTIONED IT.....
    So how is OP going to suffer from dehydration, liver damage or put himself at risk of stroke just because he consumes less carbohydrates? If you do the research before hand and consume enough fats, protein, electrolytes and keep up on your necessary nutrition and supplement if needed then he'll be just fine.

I think trying to warn people of dangers is a useful thing to do - that's all I did. Why do you have a problem with helping people ?
    Because telling people to kill themselves is helpful, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    So how is OP going to suffer from dehydration, liver damage or put himself at risk of stroke just because he consumes less carbohydrates?
    Keto diet is a SPECIFIC diet... it isn't just consuming less carbs. I'm referring specifically to the KETO diet, nothing else.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

A guy fasted for 1 year, and was considered healthy. The people complaining about keto being dangerous have no idea what they are talking about :P.
    Just let the trolls be!

As for the OP, going keto can be quite hard, so prepare your mind for it!
    Eat mostly meat, supplement it with vegetables. And if you can manage it without breaking, do a cheat day once a weak where you eat more carbs than usual.
    Keep it up, and the weight will fly off! Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by McTroll View Post
    Because telling people to kill themselves is helpful, yeah.
    Nope - I'd never do that, why on earth do you keep bringing that up ?

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

Nope - I'd never do that, why on earth do you keep bringing that up ?
    Because you told the guy to kill himself, that's why!!!

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    I heard the first week is hella tough. Is anyone eating this way?

Pretty excited about this new keto lifestyle
    I hope it works out for you!
    If it doesn't, I recommend simply cutting out sugar and a lot of fat from your diet. Very simple and effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlz0rz View Post
    A guy fasted for 1 year, and was considered healthy. The people complaining about keto being dangerous have no idea what they are talking about :
    Correct - a correctly monitored Keto diet is safe, however if you don't know what you are doing, you can kill yourself.

That's the problem. Some people just read a random article online and just do it with no thought.

If you are doing something drastic like this with your health - a doctor should be involved.

- - - Updated - - -

Because you told the guy to kill himself, that's why!!!
    Nope - never said that. I'd never even think of saying that. Please stop making up crap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keto diet is a SPECIFIC diet... it isn't just consuming less carbs. I'm referring specifically to the KETO diet, nothing else.
    Yes I know that but it's not exactly rocket science to figure out your own macro requirements with all the resources out there available on the internet. But I suppose there is no danger is telling people to be careful and not just wing it because sure they can get very ill but doctor supervision is not necessary if you take the right steps from the start.

Correct - a correctly monitored Keto diet is safe, however if you don't know what you are doing, you can kill yourself.

That's the problem. Some people just read a random article online and just do it with no thought.

If you are doing something drastic like this with your health - a doctor should be involved.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope - never said that. I'd never even think of saying that. Please stop making up crap.
    I hope you are under medical supervision for the first 3-6 months of this, otherwise you can kill yourself.
    Oh yeah, sure, that's made up. Black on white!

Oh yeah, sure, that's made up.
    Glad you agree it is made up... thanks for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Yes I know that but it's not exactly rocket science to figure out your own macro requirements with all the resources out there available on the internet. But I suppose there is no danger is telling people to be careful and not just wing it because sure they can get very ill but doctor supervision is not necessary if you take the right steps from the start.
    And one of the right steps is to monitor the transition to keto carefully.

Glad you agree it is made up... thanks for that.
    That was sarcasm. Can't believe I have to point that out...
    I quoted you. It wasn't made up. Those were YOUR words.

The best diet is the one you can follow.

I just ate less for 5 months and have lost so far 18kgs/40pounds. Kept almost all my strength (lost a bit on my deadlift).

You told him he can go kill himself! Black on white, right there!
    While he is incorrect about the risks of the keto diet you are misunderstanding what he said. He was clearly saying to go to the doctor because you can end up killing yourself with this diet(not that that is true). He is not telling the person to kill themselves.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Exactly this.

These diets work and don't work at the same time. Simplified explanation, when you eat, you get glucose for energy, it also gets converted to glycogen and stored in cells for later use. Carbs are generally great towards this. You get complex carbs which releases energy slowly through out your day and you get simple carbs which are quick bursts of energy.

When you exercise, as a rule of thumb, you use glucose up first, then your glycogen store, then your body starts to metabolise the fat you have stored (left over from taking in to much food, like carbs and sugars. Again, as a general rule this takes on average 45 minutes to deplete all your stores and begin to access the fat. Post exercise you eat, you restore the stores ready for next time. This is why weight loss takes time. Eat, store, exercise, replenish,

When you're doing a diet like this, you're essentially 'bypassing' the storage parts. You're constantly using the fat or accessing the fat very quickly for you're day to day function, not because you're being physical or doing exercise (on avg, course some people will be).

The problem you can have doing this, is using you're fat storage quickly and losing it, then giving up your diet is the body will go 'Oh shit food, need to replenish those stores!', which results in you putting the weight back on. Except because it's the bodies reaction (think of like, the body thinking oh shit I don't know when I'll get fed like this again), it'll store the food as fat quicker and more of it. Meaning you'll gain more weight at the end.

I've seen friends and family use this diet and ones similar to it, they all have great results then a few years down the line they have the occasional nice meal here or there, then another and before you know it they are back to their former size and bigger.

If you're sure you can do the diet indefinitely, then go for it just remember at that point you're not on a diet you're on a complete life style change.
    completely agree, this is also the reason why so many fad diets keep coming and going, as people try something new because the old diet didn't keep them on thier goal after stopping it (logic!).
    'Something's awry.' -Duhgan 'Bel' beltayn

'A Man choses, a Slave obeys.' -Andrew Rayn

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    While he is incorrect about the risks of the keto diet
    Please don't mislead people about health issues ... it isn't helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    While he is incorrect about the risks of the keto diet you are misunderstanding what he said. He was clearly saying to go to the doctor because you can end up killing yourself with this diet(not that that is true). He is not telling the person to kill themselves.
    That's rationalizing at its best. I'd rather see things for what they are. Guy went "kys", that's all there is to it.

The study on mice seems to have issues so I'm not going to get into it because I think it can fairly be tossed aside readily. If this is some big deal to you, try googling for replies. Mainly, what was the food in the study like, human beings are not mice, etc.

The other study was actually partly from Nutrition Science Initiative (http://nusi.org/). Some decent discussions here:
    https://www.medpagetoday.com/primary...utrition/59012
    http://sciencedrivennutrition.com/the-ketogenic-diet/

But the sample size is stupidly small and I would hesitate to draw any conclusions from so small a study. There's some odd methodology, with less than complete data having been made public to better understand the generally vague results with different researchers making different claims about the data. Fairly incoherent mess really.

I'm linking the Brad Dieter material because I don't mind an opposing viewpoint if it is reasonable and circumspect in its claims. I think Dieter's claim could be summarized as simply as: Keto is not a silver bullet. But then of course, nothing ever is.

Of late, I am seeing dumb click-bait articles with headlines like:
    "Eating Clean Food won't Save Your Life"
    "Kale is not the Wonder Food You Thought it Was"

Yeah, nice, miracles don't exist. On a long enough timeline, everyone dies. Gotcha!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    "Boundless energy". Bwahaha. Mark my words, in 15-20 years studies will emerge showing the dangers of keto diet unless its drastically needed for health reasons. Sure, refined sugars are bad, but all sugars? You are going to get rid of fruit, the most nutrient packed food of essential vitamins, antioxidants, fiber and energy for....? You are going to intake more protein, which will inevitably mean more iron, which increases free radicals.

Sure cholesterol is good for you, protein yah, great n all, but tricking your body into starvation mode and undergoing ketosis, which spurns out ketones lowering your blood pH levels (bad!). Sure it wont be as bad as DKA, but lowering it a smidgen for a prolonged time is bad. Acid corrodes. Corroding veins? Bad. What does the body do with corroding and inflamed veins? Tries to repair it. Cholesterol becomes trapped on the inflamed parts....aaannndd well you see where this is going?

Stress is inherently bad, and this is not the psychological stress, this the physical stress on the body, where stress = cortisol. Cortisol is good, but prolonged cortisol? BAD
    I'm glad someone pointed this out. I suggest people look into biochemistry and how the body actually works and wait for the studies to come out proving whether or not this is a diet that can be used by everyone. In the short term, yes you are losing weight by abusing practically zero carbohydrate intake, but we aren't entirely sure what happens if you go on a diet that strictly uses ketones for years at a time. Your body prefers glucose. Ketones are similar to glucose, but can cause harmful side effects. That's really all there is to it.

To me, the ketone diet is a lazy way of losing weight that people will probably regret years down the line when health issues become prominent and documented.