Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    The real problem is the sane people see the Democratic side just as willfully ignorant and feel they are damned if they do and damned if they don't in this instance.
    News cycle currently reads like this:

Left leaning news: Donald Trump didn't tie his shoes this morning, did you know a black person invented the bunny ear loop method, Donald Trump is a white supremacist.

Right leaning news: Democrats want to shut down all shoe string manufacturers in the US and outsource to China, they will also be taking the first born of all people who were working in those factories.
    What "left leaning news" is this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    ...do people even know what a Strawman is anymore?
    Of course.

A Strawman is a ridiculously exaggerated version of someone's argument, which is then attacked instead of the original argument. For example, if someone were to say "Mr. Democrat wants to raise taxes on the rich, he must want to RAISE EVERYONE'S TAXES! What a stupid idea, to raise everyone's taxes! Mr. Democrat sucks!"

Attacking "half the people round here" by virtue of them still hating on Trump if he cured cancer, is a Strawman. It is a ridiculously exaggerated argument that's easier to attack than the truth -- Trump is an objectively unqualified, ill-informed person who has been making a mix of bad decisions and unwanted decisions left and right, and that's why people don't like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    A trend wherein said Presidents generally had on average a favorable approval rating.

This level of disapproval tends to create one termers, historically. Assuming he isn't just removed from office or, you know, dies.
    Like Bush Jr.?

Take your pick.

15+ Year Old Account
    Corrected to reflect every post in this forum this time last year.

"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it"

It proves a "How you win the election" mandate.
    Are you going to keep bringing up 2016 as if it has any kind of relevance to the facts of the situation, or are you going to be one of those guys that talks about that one time you scored 5 touch downs in a single game during high school football and use it as a comeback every time someone tells you you're terrible at something?

The 2016 election was stupid close at the end when it came to polls and predictive analyses. You didn't even take any effort to refute what I said, that most predictive modeling put Hillary at 60-70% chance to win, and that was when Hillary was only polling a couple of points ahead of Trump.

Trump is down 10 points down the drain and still sinking steadily, meanwhile Republicans are neck and neck on races they should be winning by landslides, and losing by landslides elections that they are normally neck and neck on. Anyone who opens their eyes and looks around can see what's happening... unless of course they just keep treating 2016 like it's suddenly a rule that elections will always go to the underdog. If you want to delude yourself, that's fine with me.

Just please, if you're going to reply to me again, do so by actually addressing my points. "BUT LOOK AT 2016 LUUUUUUUUUUUULZ" means jack shit.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

I'd say the same people that turned Trump getting Ice Cream into national news.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Like Bush Jr.?
    Sure, if you're counting on a 9/11 for Trump to exploit.

- - - Updated - - -

Take your pick.
    So, none of them? Media in the US has an overwhelmingly corporate bias.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    I'd say the same people that turned Trump getting Ice Cream into national news.
    or made a big deal over Obama using fancy mustard?

- - - Updated - - -

Okay. So you just admitted being unliked isn't enough to be voted out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    Remember Arugulagate?

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    Yep. Crazy people like that.

The real problem is the sane people see the Democratic side just as willfully ignorant and feel they are damned if they do and damned if they don't in this instance.
    News cycle currently reads like this:

Left leaning news: Donald Trump didn't tie his shoes this morning, did you know a black person invented the bunny ear loop method, Donald Trump is a white supremacist.

Right leaning news: Democrats want to shut down all shoe string manufacturers in the US and outsource to China, they will also be taking the first born of all people who were working in those factories.
    Lucky for me, I'm also not a Democrat, and didn't support any of their candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    The Democrats have this year managed to win a grand total of three State seats in Open Seat Elections.

When the Republicans lose HUNDREDS of seats in 2018 then we can talk about them having electoral issues because that means beating incumbents.
    More to the point since Trump has taken office the democrats have won 6 republican held seats in Congress. While the republicans have won 0 of the democrat held seats.

Edit:
    As mentioned earlier. The republicans in areas they should be winning with 10 or more point spread are just winning them in close races. While in areas where its already a close race, the republicans are losing.
    Last edited by Hobb; 2017-09-13 at 04:06 PM.

- - - Updated - - -

I really have no idea what you are getting at here. Are you having a stroke?

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    So, what you are saying, is that Trump supporters are willfully-ignorant fools who refuse to see just how useless and terrible he truly is?

Yeah, all the sane people already know that.
    That's actually not what it says. More like, a lot of people dislike Trump, but that doesn't mean they like Democrats.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...ssaging-242607

This is on the Politico front page. This isn't from some wacko like Alex Jones but a highly respectable political magazine with many contacts in Washington.

This all based on data from the Democratic party, collected by the democratic party to try and win the mid terms. It is not surprising really. You'll find all the left wing group think doesn't match reality.
    Because white identity is wholly tied to their unwavering support to him. Just looking at his language during the campaign and in the White House. He is The Great White Hope.

10+ Year Old Account
    Half the left were decrying him as "objectively the worst president ever" and he had historic disapproval rates before he even took office. People WON'T change their mind on this, no matter what he does or says. The guy could cure cancer and half the people round here would be enraged that clearly Putin must have given him the cure so that he could undermine the US economy.

So which Republicans would get high approval ratings? Pence? Anyone? Politics is so polarised that I don't know how anyone could get high approval ratings anymore. The most you can hope for is higher ratings amongst your own voters.
    When your method of curing lung cancer is to give people terminal brain cancer then people have a right to be angry.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

Half the left were decrying him as "objectively the worst president ever" and he had historic disapproval rates before he even took office. People WON'T change their mind on this, no matter what he does or says. The guy could cure cancer and half the people round here would be enraged that clearly Putin must have given him the cure so that he could undermine the US economy.

So which Republicans would get high approval ratings? Pence? Anyone? Politics is so polarised that I don't know how anyone could get high approval ratings anymore. The most you can hope for is higher ratings amongst your own voters.
    Actually that is false, Trump had pretty high approval rating after winning the election especially after that nice concession speech he gave then he started tweeting...

And republican can get high approval ratings (Susan Collins, John Hoeven) actually anyone can at this point since Trump has lowered the bar for presidential behavior.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'd love to see the actual data from the article, but apparently we plebs aren't allowed to see it.

I'm going to interested in how the swing voters' opinions change the closer we get to the midterms.

Take your pick.
    On the left side, I think it's more that you're doing that thing that a lot of the right is, particularly Trump supporters, which is that you're normalizing completely abnormal behavior. A little over 15 years ago, we could randomly pick any one day from Trump's term and assign the actions he took on that day to the sitting president, and he'd likely get a vote for the articles of impeachment. But now we're letting it slide - and that someone reading this may roll their eyes at the "hyperbole" of impeachment is a sign of that normalization. We're seeing how efficient Fox News and its internet brethren, combined with internet bubbles, are at spin.

The rebuttal after this that I see a lot is "well, people are just sick of this politically correct crap," or another argument that people have simply "evolved" to not care about these issues anymore - but this doesn't actually seem to be the case. Trump himself somehow doesn't bear the burden of his actions, but markets rise and fall exactly as they always have when leaders say these things. Other candidates of his party suffer, as they always have. If the world has evolved, apparently the only one who has actually done it is "Teflon Trump," because all 7.5 billion normies on the rest of the planet are reacting the same as before.