Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    It is designed to withstand periods without food as a survival mechanism, but that is not that same as it being designed to do so as regular part of its diet.
    I'm just arguing semantics at this point :P.
    The optimal way is of course not to starve. I just wanted to point out that the human body is VERY good at handling starvation! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Bodraw View Post
    Again with the bullshit, but I give up. Whatever.
    Do you deny that anthrax is found in the soil?

Quote Originally Posted by Karlz0rz View Post
    I'm just arguing semantics at this point :P.
    The optimal way is of course not to starve. I just wanted to point out that the human body is VERY good at handling starvation! ^^
    Its also pretty nice with regenerating cuts on its own. Still, thats no excuse to cut yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by McTroll View Post
    ITT: everyone's a nutritionist.
    Failing again I see.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post
    There's no evidence that the body prefers glucose.
    Glucose breakdown via glycolysis is the first pathway priority to utilize the creation of ATP in your body. It is preferential, as ketones are a side-metabolic pathway in your body when your body goes too long without enough glucose going to your brain. You also said that ketones 'might' be useful in specific cancer situations. This says right here that we don't know the full effects of what ketones can do, and what long term effects they're capable of as well via dieting. I'm not losing my shit over this, because I see the benefits of what keto can do, there's no denying that. But the problem is that we shouldn't rush onto the bandwagon with any mainstream dieting techniques that aren't fully documented.

This diet has been around since the 1920's. It was originally used as a therapy for epilepsy and there are people that have been on the diet for decades of their life. I'm pretty sure we have all the data we need at this point to know what the risks are and they are minimal.
    That's a fair statement, but off the top of my head I remember back in the 80's I believe it was either unsaturated fats or a specific type of omega fatty-acid that were being heavily pushed upon people, where it ended up turning out that it had adverse effects contrary to what scientists understood. I believe around the mid 80's we also started discovering and understanding metabolic pathways, so the point being is that our understanding of biochemistry and nutrition is fairly new and evolving, so resorting to 1920's data isn't exactly sensible.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    Its also pretty nice with regenerating cuts on its own. Still, thats no excuse to cut yourself.
    If you have a thorn that's in deep, you can chose to let the body push it out yourself, or cut it out. Sometimes you can benefit from cutting yourself! :P

I've been on all sorts of diets in my life, and keto/low carb is by far the most efficient. It's also quite hard, so you need the motivation!

I've done:
    Water Fasting - lose a lot of weight, muscle included...
    high deficit Keto - lost a over half my body weight. Socially awkward, restaurants are tough, difficult if you live with other not on the diet. Can build muscle, but difficult without the energy. Can severely decrease rep/set counts. works
    strict paleo - more stuff to eat over keto, more energy, better for working out, imo. Best with exercise
    laxed paleo - even better for a lot of physical activity. Best with exercise.

Sugar withdrawal is what ends diets before they start. Many people can't live without the sugar. You may also want to avoid announcing starting a new diet.. These diets are tough for many people. Breaking it is a failure and could affect your decision in trying the diet again. Surprise people with results, not with attempts. Avoid talking about it and welcome the remarks as you dwindle down.

Additionally... on keto type diets, you'll tend to gain back about 4% of your final weight (before breaking the diet) in water over the course of the following week. So, if you're goal is to lose 10lbs, you should really aim for 20lbs before stopping.

Cheat days only cheat yourself. For me, on average, it takes 1 to 3 days to get back into ketosis after cheating (whether it be a bday party or a holiday)

There's no perfect diet, people are wired differently. Everyone knows that guy/gal you hate, that eats everything, rarely works out, and is ideal weight/shape. The diet that tends to work is the one you can stick to.
    AB350 Gaming 3 | Ryzen 1600X | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz @ 2933mhz | .5 & 1TB 840 evo, .5TB 850 evo | EVGA GTX 1080 ti FTW3 | Dell S2716DG | EVGA 1000 G2 | NH-D15 SE-AM4 | Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Silent

Make sure you get potassium.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanesca View Post
    But the problem is that we shouldn't rush onto the bandwagon with any mainstream dieting techniques that aren't fully documented.
    We really don't know as much as we think we do about anything is the simple truth here.

Human nutrition is very poorly understood and there is very little actual hard scientific evidence that qualifies as such with robust data, large sample sizes, human participants, etc. We keep citing the same 2-3 meaningful data sets in fact. All the rest of this is bantering about "studies" which is pretty much BS, straight up.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Failing again I see.
    Care to elaborate?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Uhh.. that would be a bad idea. Removing sugar and fat from you diet leaves pretty much just protein and that is something that can kill you. You need either fat or carbs you can't really survive without both. If you cut out carbs you must have fat as a substantial part of your diet.
    How dumb do you think I am? Obviously I mean you cut out all the excess sugar and fat in the forms of candy, soda and red meats heavy with fat. Not cut it out 100%. I still eat dairy, I still make the occassional baked goods (making them myself). I primarily eat vegetarian alternatives to meat, fish and chicken. Dairy products like creme fraiche and yoghurt are a good source of fats but I also cook with rapeseed oil and olive oil.
    I just cut out all the excess and over soon 2 years I've lost 14 kilos.
    Did you seriously think I suggested, though I don't know how you expected it to be remotely doable, to entirely remove all sugar and all fat? Even though I said "a lot of fat".

In short, it's just about reducing your kilocalorie intake to be slightly lower than your daily requirement, but still get your essentials.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    How dumb do you think I am? Obviously I mean you cut out all the excess sugar and fat in the forms of candy, soda and red meats heavy with fat. Not cut it out 100%. I still eat dairy, I still make the occassional baked goods (making them myself). I primarily eat vegetarian alternatives to meat, fish and chicken. Dairy products like creme fraiche and yoghurt are a good source of fats but I also cook with rapeseed oil and olive oil.
    Did you seriously think I suggested, though I don't know how you expected it to be remotely doable, to entirely remove all sugar and all fat? Even though I said "a lot of fat".

In short, it's just about reducing your kilocalorie intake to be slightly lower than your daily requirement, but still get your essentials.
    what is wrong with red meat with lots of fat? is it just the extra calories?

Deleted
    Whats a keto diet?
    Thinking to do a month of cardio with diet to lose some belly and proceed for another 1-2 months with getting massive in arms and chest area so that i can go do MMA or kickboxing sparring. (im already massive, just doing the last preparations)
    Last edited by mmoc96b81ade63; 2017-09-13 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ynnady View Post
    Whats a keto diet?
    Thinking to do a month of cardio with diet to lose some belly and proceed for another 1-2 months with getting massive in arms and chest area so that i can go do MMA or kickboxing sparring. (im already massive, just doing the last preparations)
    keto diet is just a diet that puts you in ketosis.your body uses ketones from fat for energy over glucose. That's about it...

Quote Originally Posted by LonerStoner View Post
    Because you aren't doing any real cardio.
    So then what do you call running weekly and doing kettlebell swings bi-daily?

Quote Originally Posted by McTroll View Post
    Care to elaborate?
    Anyone can legitimately call themselves a nutritionist. No credentials required, which kind of makes this comment almost as pointless as your earlier obtuseness.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

There is a ton of information in this thread that is correct but there is also information that is incorrect on all sides. I will not tell you that a ketogenic diet is good or bad because it is entirely situational based on YOU and your body. I am currently doing a ketogenic diet with most of my calories coming from fat, moderate protein and roughly 20 grams of carbohydrates a day. I put in the time to do the research, to learn about my own body and how to eat according to my own needs. I am doing this purely as an experiment for myself and I am being monitored by my physician through lab work and various other tests every 4 months. Having an unbiased physician is a great tool to have at your side when you choose to pursue any diet. Good luck with keto OP I wish you the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    I heard the first week is hella tough. Is anyone eating this way?

Pretty excited about this new keto lifestyle
    I've been keto for 15 months. I can't see going off it any time in the next 30 years as it is controlling my T2 diabetes. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Romanesca View Post
    That's a fair statement, but off the top of my head I remember back in the 80's I believe it was either unsaturated fats or a specific type of omega fatty-acid that were being heavily pushed upon people, where it ended up turning out that it had adverse effects contrary to what scientists understood. I believe around the mid 80's we also started discovering and understanding metabolic pathways, so the point being is that our understanding of biochemistry and nutrition is fairly new and evolving, so resorting to 1920's data isn't exactly sensible.
    The 1920's is when it started the data has been over the last ~90 years it has been in use. My point is that the diet has been around for a long time now and there have been on that diet for decades. At this point we would know if there was long term problems with the diet. Sure, its possible that something could change, but at this point I doubt it will happen because we have already seen the long term results of this diet and it doesn't seem to have any problems of significance.

As for back in the 80's I was pretty young so the only thing I recall was a continued push of no fat and a lot of products with Lite/Light/Non-fat/Low-fat/etc. on the label and a lot of extra sugar in the fats place. The only fat I can think of that might have been pushed back then were trans fats(a lot of fast food places switched to them because it was supposed to be better than real fat) which have been removed from everything over the last 5-10 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post

I don't think you are dumb. maybe I just misunderstood what you were saying.
    " I recommend simply cutting out sugar and a lot of fat from your diet" To me that meant no sugar and little fat which would not be a good thing. If that isn't what you were going for then my bad.

15+ Year Old Account
    Them armchair doctors/nutritionist tho.

I do Keto on for my epilepsy on recomendation of my doctor since most pills didnt work for me.. Works for me. I do CKD though so I dont lose much weight.