Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Maryland town to allow non-US citizens the right to vote in local elections

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - The College Park City Council has voted in favor of a measure that would allow city residents who are not U.S. citizens to vote in local elections.

College Park joins six other towns in allowing legal permanent residents and undocumented immigrants to vote in municipal elections.

“Although you come up here and you say that there are hundreds of citizens and residents of College Park that are for this charter, I can tell you that there are thousands against it,” said Beth Debrosky, who is against non-citizen voting. “Voting is a right of the citizens. It's plain and clear. It's constitutional. It's also written at the state level and it also belongs at the local level.”

Think this is a good idea and would you want this nation wide or even for ALL elections including the president?

10+ Year Old Account
    If they pay taxes, they should get to vote be they illegal immigrants, felons or whatever. The whole "no taxation without representation" thing. Perhaps not for President, that's a special one and not really about representation as much as it should be.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    would you want this nation wide or even for ALL elections including the president?
    God no. We need fewer people voting in National elections - not more. Although the quantity of voters is far less important than the quality.
    Eat yo vegetables

Ay LMAO. The literal definition of a cuck.

7+ Year Old Account
    Only citizens should be allowed to vote.

Deleted
    That would depend on how strict and what the specific process for gaining such a privilege would be.

I'm in favor of legal permanent residents who pay taxes having the ability to vote in non-federal elections as determined by the state/municipality. They pay into the coffers, they should have a say in (choosing the representatives who) decide what happens with their tax dollars.

Illegal immigrants should never have voting rights, that opens the way for people to bring in voters from outside the country for the express purpose of changing election results.

Federal elections should remain for citizens only, as dictated by the constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    I'm in favor of legal permanent residents who pay taxes having the ability to vote in non-federal elections as determined by the state/municipality. They pay into the coffers, they should have a say in (choosing the representatives who) decide what happens with their tax dollars.

Illegal immigrants should never have voting rights, that opens the way for people to bring in voters from outside the country for the express purpose of changing election results.

Federal elections should remain for citizens only, as dictated by the constitution.
    Fairly liberal guy and this is spot on. Permanent residents who pay taxes deserve representation in local and state elections since their lives are affected by the election process, but federal elections should remain for US Citizens only. I just believe there should be a better way to let the market dictate immigration rates so that the idea of an undocumented immigrant no longer applies while there is a demand for their labor.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    COLLEGE PARK, Md. - The College Park City Council has voted in favor of a measure that would allow city residents who are not U.S. citizens to vote in local elections.

College Park joins six other towns in allowing legal permanent residents and undocumented immigrants to vote in municipal elections.

“Although you come up here and you say that there are hundreds of citizens and residents of College Park that are for this charter, I can tell you that there are thousands against it,” said Beth Debrosky, who is against non-citizen voting. “Voting is a right of the citizens. It's plain and clear. It's constitutional. It's also written at the state level and it also belongs at the local level.”

Think this is a good idea and would you want this nation wide or even for ALL elections including the president?
    Yeah it is a good idea, they live in the country and pay local, state, and federal taxes.

To maintain ballot integrity, nobody with zero documentation should be able to vote. Driver's license or state ID should be required to make sure person X is person X and isn't trying to vote twice. There are people who reside in the U.S., pay taxes and are in the census system while not having U.S. citizenship, I see no problem with allowing them to vote.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Yeah it is a good idea, they live in the country and pay local, state, and federal taxes.
    How does someone undocumented pay those taxes outside of sales tax?
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    They can get an EIN or a person's SS number. I see it everyday.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not all illegal immigrants are undocumented... those covered under DACA for example have SS numbers.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Not all illegal immigrants are undocumented... those covered under DACA for example have SS numbers.
    Sure that's fine, reason why I keep the label "undocumented", those who do not exist in the system. The only way I see them paying taxes is through identity theft or an employer has the guts to file for IEM numbers of illegal aliens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure that's fine, reason why I keep the label "undocumented", those who do not exist in the system. The only way I see them paying taxes is through identity theft or an employer has the guts to file for IEM numbers of illegal aliens.
    Well locally they're still paying sales tax etc. It's really hard to not pay any taxes...

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Well locally they're still paying sales tax etc. It's really hard to not pay any taxes...
    I know about sales tax and already acknowledged that. If you read my first post I see no reason why non-citizens should be disbarred from voting locally, so long as they have proof of their identity which can be shown when voting. Could be anything that is government provided.

Wait I thought Dems loved Dreamers out of the goodness of their hearts? So now you see they are just pawns in the real agenda.

10+ Year Old Account
    Literally quadrillions of illegal votes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittens View Post
    Ay LMAO. The literal definition of a cuck.
    Since no ones wife is getting fucked you should probably exfhange literal with figurative
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    Wait I thought Dems loved Dreamers out of the goodness of their hearts? So now you see they are just pawns in the real agenda.
    I'm not a Democrat, but I don't see the point in drawing an arbitrary line between "Well, they were born in a hospital in Canada 5 minutes before they crossed the American border... SO WHAT if they've lived and worked here in the US and served in two wars over the last 80 years... we're deporting their foreign !@#... they were caught jaywalking!"

If living with someone for a certain ## of years is enough to establish common law marriage, then living in a country for a certain ## of years should be enough to establish common law citizenship.

LOL at people who think this is a good idea.