Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bers3rk View Post
    I am doing this purely as an experiment for myself and I am being monitored by my physician through lab work and various other tests every 4 months.
    Tested every 3 months, but the doc is basically an idiot. His latest speech sounded like a prep for insisting on statins, and the answer to that will be no. Frankly, he always seems to be pivoting to a slightly new position from which to recommend various drug therapies. I have to assume some kind of kickback is at play there.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    The 1920's is when it started the data has been over the last ~90 years it has been in use. My point is that the diet has been around for a long time now and there have been on that diet for decades. At this point we would know if there was long term problems with the diet. Sure, its possible that something could change, but at this point I doubt it will happen because we have already seen the long term results of this diet and it doesn't seem to have any problems of significance.

As for back in the 80's I was pretty young so the only thing I recall was a continued push of no fat and a lot of products with Lite/Light/Non-fat/Low-fat/etc. on the label and a lot of extra sugar in the fats place. The only fat I can think of that might have been pushed back then were trans fats(a lot of fast food places switched to them because it was supposed to be better than real fat) which have been removed from everything over the last 5-10 years.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think you are dumb. maybe I just misunderstood what you were saying.
    " I recommend simply cutting out sugar and a lot of fat from your diet" To me that meant no sugar and little fat which would not be a good thing. If that isn't what you were going for then my bad.
    I was bad at explaining myself from the start, sorry.
    I recommend cutting out red meat and excessive sugar, for anyone that wants to lose weight.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    what is wrong with red meat with lots of fat? is it just the extra calories?
    Because there's a lot of energy in a steak, energy you're unlikely to use. If you want to gain weight, eat lots of beef and pork. Red meat contains a lot of fat, and not the good types of fat. Fish can be very fatty, but that kind of fat is better. In my experience.

For me, cutting out beef and pork has also helped calm my stomach and intestinal problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    Uhm, literally all calories ARE created equal. I don't think you actually understand what a calorie is lol (it's a standardized unit of heat energy, and your body can and will utilize all of them. Yes, you will burn calories derived from fat even when not in ketosis, amazing I know). You can lose weight eating nothing but Twinkies if you are under your body's daily calorie requirement. You can lose weight eating a balanced diet without any need for fads like carb cutting, fat cutting, etc. While there are nutritional issues to consider, and while keto has proven efficacy for specifically targeting more resistant fat deposits after general weight loss has occured, calories are THE thing that matters most where overall weight loss is concerned.

Oh, and there are several studies that suggest keto is a poor diet for the long term. Particularly for people with Type 1 diabetes (who may benefit from keto but also risk going into ketoacidosis from even a single cheat day), individuals at risk for heart disease and high cholesterol, and individuals prone to digestive problems (good luck doing keto if your gallbladder isn't perfect or you're lactose intolerant!). It's also pretty well documented as causing or exacerbating gastrointestinal discomfort, constipation, hypertension, and other symptoms.

Perhaps most humorously, however, is the fact that the overwhelming majority of people doing keto GAIN THE WEIGHT RIGHT BACK the second they stop their fad diet. Not because "teh carbs are evil" but because keto dieting is literally the co-opting of a survival mechanism whose natural response to the re-introduction of higher calories/more carbohydrates is to store that shit to replenish the lost fat stores. So anything short of permanently slaving yourself to a highly restrictive, bland diet with dubious long term effects is not going to preserve that pecious beach bod.

Incredibly, people have been effectively dieting and losing fat for centuries without the need for keto/paleo/Atkins/whatever. I dropped 30 lbs in 4 months at a SUSTAINABLE rate, and guess what? I still get to eat a cookie now and then without freaking the fuck out. The fact is that unless you're trying to get into single digit body fat, dieting comes down to this: calories in vs. calories used. Yes, balancing your macronutrients is important. Yes, there are several short term benefits to keto outside of weight loss and it is showing some efficacy at treating certain neurological disorders as well. No, it is not a magic bullet or even a necessary/safe one for every person. As with any diet, your mileage may vary, so consult your doctor, eat plenty of leafy greens and remember that a balanced approach to cutting calories, regular excercise, and positive self-motivation will be better for your waistline AND your long term health than any fad diet on the market.

EDIT: It is worth noting that some sources of calories allow rapid access to their energy stores while others break down more slowly (and are thus less prone to spiking blood sugar), that certain processed wheat products can slow metabolic processes and bind up essential nutrients (looking at you, white bread) and that some sources of calories, including red meats, saturated fats, refined sugars, etc have detrimental health effects beyond the number of calories they pack. All calories are equal. All sources are not. Which is why, again, a BALANCED diet is what is reccomended by the vast majority of doctors out there, despite the insistence of know-it-all Redditors that think they know better than the folks with medical degrees ;-)
    100 calories of glucose and fructose are processed entirely differently from each other. The vast majority of doctors have all used the same junk science from Ancel Keys, so it's unsurprising that arrive at the same conclusion. Theres a lot more complexity to it than I'm willing to type on my phone, and no it's not perfect but it isn't just pseudo bro science either.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was checking the diet but its says no rice, so yeah, hell no.

Quote Originally Posted by kraid View Post
    I was checking the diet but its says no rice, so yeah, hell no.
    Pretty much this ^^ Avoiding certain food groups, either you have it as a lifestyle, or you can try eat less of it. Or just see it as part of a normal you, which I do. One thing all diets have in common is at least avoiding Sugar and "crap food"...so thats easy.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

For the OP and anyone else wanting to "try" keto, after you loose your weight on keto, transition to plant-based (not vegan or vegetarian as they allow sugar and refined foods) and be health on the outside and inside. Eating your beans, berries, nuts, seeds, cruciferous veggies, leafy greens and a small amount of whole grains will do wonders.

I'd also recommend taking an Ancestry DNA test (wait until they have a sale) and pulling your raw data. Upload it to Promethease and find out if you have a gene like rs4143094(T;T).

Quote Originally Posted by Karlz0rz View Post
    I don't really care that much about the debate, but you are factually wrong in regards to the human body not being designed to starve :P. People can go for months without food, and survive. If the human body wasn't designed to starve, you'd die VERY fast without food, right? ^^
    First off, your body isn't "designed" to do anything. Secondly, yes, we're really good a coping with starvation. That's not the same as being "designed" to starve. Humans do amazingly good jobs living with missing arms or eyes too, doesn't mean you're "designed" to be amputated. Also, just for the sake of curiosity, since you admit starving does kill people, what exactly is the time limit on death for something to be "designed" vs "not designed"? 2 months? 15 seconds? a year?

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    I was bad at explaining myself from the start, sorry.
    I recommend cutting out red meat and excessive sugar, for anyone that wants to lose weight.

- - - Updated - - -

Because there's a lot of energy in a steak, energy you're unlikely to use. If you want to gain weight, eat lots of beef and pork. Red meat contains a lot of fat, and not the good types of fat. Fish can be very fatty, but that kind of fat is better. In my experience.

For me, cutting out beef and pork has also helped calm my stomach and intestinal problems.
    Saturated fat isn't "bad" fat so what do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by zebreck View Post
    First off, your body isn't "designed" to do anything. Secondly, yes, we're really good a coping with starvation. That's not the same as being "designed" to starve. Humans do amazingly good jobs living with missing arms or eyes too, doesn't mean you're "designed" to be amputated. Also, just for the sake of curiosity, since you admit starving does kill people, what exactly is the time limit on death for something to be "designed" vs "not designed"? 2 months? 15 seconds? a year?
    I'm changing my word from "designed" to "adapted". Happy?

15+ Year Old Account
    Keto is a medical treatment, you must be pretty damn desperate to lose weight if you're using it or dare I say, lazy?

I too thought I needed keto at one point until I lost all the weight just strength training and cutting out sugar.
    I'd be curious to see what people look like after they used Keto to lose weight.
    Do you look better? Do you feel better about how you look? Have you made any fitness progress by doing keto? How are your joints and how's your cardiovascular health on Keto, no change? Worse? Can you jog a full 5k without having to stop for a break? Hell, do you think you'd manage to not slip up a year after you stopped doing Keto, did Keto teach you about fiber are you going to relapse?

That's all stuff you have to take into consideration. If you have a physically demanding job and are exercising, I would not recommend keto, so I wouldn't recommend it to people who took fitness seriously, sounds contradicting, it's because keto is contradicting anything you do in the gym.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Saturated fat isn't "bad" fat so what do you mean?
    Look at nations that eat a lot of beef and pork: the US, the UK.
    Then look at nations that eat a lot of seafood: Most of asia

Then look at the amount of overweight people they have in comparison to one another. Pork and beef in the amount we consume it in the west, makes you fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlz0rz View Post
    If you have a thorn that's in deep, you can chose to let the body push it out yourself, or cut it out. Sometimes you can benefit from cutting yourself! :P

I've been on all sorts of diets in my life, and keto/low carb is by far the most efficient. It's also quite hard, so you need the motivation!
    If it is hard and super efficient it is also super dangerous for normal person.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Look at nations that eat a lot of beef and pork: the US, the UK.
    Then look at nations that eat a lot of seafood: Most of asia

Then look at the amount of overweight people they have in comparison to one another. Pork and beef in the amount we consume it in the west, makes you fat.
    there are other factors.. mostly around the fact the us and uk also are extremely heavy carb eaters.

and there are no studies supporting what you say in fact several have pointed out low carb diets work great but the carb diet group tended to lose weight slower or have more issues... such as feeling more hungry when restricted.

Yes, yes, you know more than doctors or in my case an actual neuroscientist (go figure, I'm not a "bro" so trying that tired label won't work here) on this matter. Funny how the keto tryhards are the ones spreading their cheeks for unsubstantiated reports and cherry picking their facts while claiming everyone ELSE is wrong. It reminds me of the anti-vaxx crowd. Oh, and yes, 100 calories of glucose and fructose are processed differently (by entirely different organs, specifically) but the end result is, surprise, exactly the same: 100 units of thermal energy gained. The secondary effects involved in their processing are meaningful and were already touched upon in my post. So you're literally arguing a point I already made for you, just so you can hear yourself talk.

Not that I'm surprised by this, of course. It's MMO-C, after all ;-)
    You said literally all calories are created equal... this is not important.

What is important is how your body reacts to different sources of energy. Will it spike your insulin? Will it make you feel more hungry making you eat more? Will it make you feel more full making you eat less? Those parts are more important.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    If it is hard and super efficient it is also super dangerous for normal person.
    I disagree. The reason I say it is hard, is because of the mental toll it can have on you, like any other diet. But keto does force you to eat A LOT of meat products/fat, and that can be quite a mental drain on some people.

Yes, yes, you know more than doctors or in my case an actual neuroscientist (go figure, I'm not a "bro" so trying that tired label won't work here) on this matter. Funny how the keto tryhards are the ones spreading their cheeks for unsubstantiated reports and cherry picking their facts while claiming everyone ELSE is wrong. It reminds me of the anti-vaxx crowd. Oh, and yes, 100 calories of glucose and fructose are processed differently (by entirely different organs, specifically) but the end result is, surprise, exactly the same: 100 units of thermal energy gained. The secondary effects involved in their processing are meaningful and were already touched upon in my post. So you're literally arguing a point I already made for you, just so you can hear yourself talk.

Not that I'm surprised by this, of course. It's MMO-C, after all ;-)
    How do you feel about Dr. Robert Lustig, thats where I have informed my opinion from.

Specifically this

I'm not clicking on your Youtube video. Nor am I being baited into arguing against said video. Throw down your own researched opinions, don't use some rando as your surrogate.
    Sounds like a cop out, because it is a cop out.

Lol, ok. Bait harder bud, someday you'll get the hang of it!
    Look, I'm not taking either side. Your complete lack of willingness to check out the informative video of a long time researcher, while preferring the "researched opinion" of some random untrained amateur is a complete cop-out. This is fact.

Not to steal anyone's thunder but I just fasted for about 34 hours straight.

Didn't think I could do that without shriveling up into a raisin ball and popping out of existence but I did and actually feel great for it.

May start making this a normal thing I do. Alternating off and on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    Not to steal anyone's thunder but I just fasted for about 34 hours straight.

Didn't think I could do that without shriveling up into a raisin ball and popping out of existence but I did and actually feel great for it.

May start making this a normal thing I do. Alternating off and on.
    May i ask what your routine was for that 34 hour stretch? Were you still having water and exercising etc.