Page 48 of 53 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The reaction to the initial live stream reportage was phenomenal on BPT. The post-apology by the personality Pewdiepie was just as good though.

I was particularly fascinated in how this story trended in a overwhelmingly negative fashion among social media groups. The power of societies.
    Does that mean this farce is basicly over? I haven't been following this because I refuse to base my opinions of people by what the media says

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strangewayes View Post
    How do you know that? Do you watch every gamer stream?
    It gets reported when it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Birujinia View Post
    You know he made an apology video saying he had no excuse for using the n-word. Why are you two crusading for him and making excuses?
    I'm not crusading for anyone, nor am I making excuses. I am merely stating the obvious fact that he said something stupid in an emotional moment and I'm expressing my disgust towards people [the offended] that suffer from such moral fragility.

He said nigger, so fucking what? He even apologised lickety-lickety split, what else do you want? Self-flagellation? There's nothing more to discuss, unless you belong to some money-grabbing media group that's rubbing their hands together because they have new and exciting click-bait material.

Quite frankly, we [society] should stop caring as much as we do about who takes offence; it makes people weak, feeble minded and empowers those who fancy dishing out verbal abuse [offenders]. Sensitivity training shouldn't be given to those that are inclined to give offence, but to those that easily take offence.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2017-09-14 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Yeah the long history and the violence behind that word say you are wrong.
    The problem is that racism or by extension the verb of being a racist is derived from quantifiable actions.

People conflate the concept of ideology, which is loosely bigotry, with racism. A logical argument and analysis is required in order to define someone as a racist. It would difficult to create such in this specific case or any case similar to such a matter.

By extension the if the current argument against Felix is valid, then any man who has used the term "bitch" or similar would as justifiably qualify as being a "sexist" or a "misogynist." Also, if such an argument against Felix would hold, there is an more substantial argument to be made that any man who has masturbated to a woman without her consent would be a "sex offender."

We can squabble all day long on whether or not the use of such words are good, bad, or against some social contract, but there should be NO argument that the utilization of such words, absent of context, automatically define a persons deeper character in such manners.

Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    The problem is that racism or by extension the verb of being a racist is derived from quantifiable actions.

People conflate the concept of ideology, which is loosely bigotry, with racism. A logical argument and analysis is required in order to define someone as a racist. It would difficult to create such in this specific case or any case similar to such a matter.

By extension the if the current argument against Felix is valid, then any man who has used the term "bitch" or similar would as justifiably qualify as being a "sexist" or a "misogynist." Also, if such an argument against Felix would hold, there is an more substantial argument to be made that any man who has masturbated to a woman without her consent would be a "sex offender."

We can squabble all day long on whether or not the use of such words are good, bad, or against some social contract, but there should be NO argument that the utilization of such words, absent of context, automatically define a persons deeper character in such manners.
    And on this eloquent note, we could (if we wanted) safely close the thread since there's not a more sensible conclusion to be drawn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EUPLEB View Post
    Fun fact. Nigger was used to describe black slaves.

Should probably stick a bit longer in school, and read some books, it could help you, it's not too late.
    Yea no shit sherlock. But with every word there's always a history to it. Humans have a history of bending the original meaning of words. Some words change meaning multiple times. Like when we say zeerox it, we mean make a copy but we use the name of the most popular company who made copiers. Or the word casserole, which could mean the food itself or the vessel itself.

So what we can tell is that words change meaning constantly. Nigger was probably no different than a way to describe a black person. Literally meaning black. But over time that word became a derogative word and the original meaning was lost. Nowadays black people use it as a slang word to describe a friend, but is always assumed to be racist when a white person uses it, even though it could be used the same way. The meaning of the word nigger can be used like the word fuck, which in itself has multiple meanings.

Point is, grow up and don't fixate too much on words. Worry about the meaning of the word, because it can and will be taken out of context.

Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2017-09-14 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Yea no shit sherlock. But with every word there's always a history to it. Humans have a history of bending the original meaning of words. Some words change meaning multiple times. Like when we say zeerox it, we mean make a copy but we use the name of the most popular company who made copiers. Or the word casserole, which could mean the food itself or the vessel itself.

So what we can tell is that words change meaning constantly. Nigger was probably no different than a way to describe a black person. Literally meaning black. But over time that word became a derogative word and the original meaning was lost. Nowadays black people use it as a slang word to describe a friend, but is always assumed to be racist when a white person uses it, even though it could be used the same way. The meaning of the word nigger can be used like the word fuck, which in itself has multiple meanings.

Point is, grow up and don't fixate too much on words. Worry about the meaning of the word, because it can and will be taken out of context.
    Nigger has never been a decent way to describle a black person. What you're referring to is the word negro, which derives from the latin word niger which literally means dark. Nigger is nothing but a contemptuous and dispariging term.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Nigger has never been a decent way to describle a black person. What you're referring to is the word negro, which derives from the latin word niger which literally means dark. Nigger is nothing but a contemptuous and dispariging term.
    So when one black person uses it to refer to another black person, what is that? A decent way to describe each other? It's like as a Nerd I call another nerd a nerd. Yo ma nerd, wuz up?

7+ Year Old Account
    He looks like a homeless hippie. Looks like one of those bums you see holding signs by the side of the road.

So when one black person uses it to refer to another black person, what is that? A decent way to describe each other? It's like as a Nerd I call another nerd a nerd. Yo ma nerd, wuz up?
    I do not believe that one has rights based on their skin colour and I most definitely do not believe that someone should be denied rights based on their skin colour. Ergo, a white man should be able to say nigger, if a black man can. The same can be said for cracker, or any other [derogatory] term.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    He looks like a homeless hippie. Looks like one of those bums you see holding signs by the side of the road.
    Thank you for that utterly pointless and insignificant remark.

I'm not crusading for anyone, nor am I making excuses. I am merely stating the obvious fact that he said something stupid in an emotional moment and I'm expressing my disgust towards people [the offended] that suffer from such moral fragility.

He said nigger, so fucking what? He even apologised lickety-lickety split, what else do you want? Self-flagellation? There's nothing more to discuss, unless you belong to some money-grabbing media group that's rubbing their hands together because they have new and exciting click-bait material.

Quite frankly, we [society] should stop caring as much as we do about who takes offence; it makes people weak, feeble minded and empowers those who fancy dishing out verbal abuse [offenders]. Sensitivity training shouldn't be given to those that are inclined to give offence, but to those that easily take offence.
    You are well within your right to be disgusted at the offended. You voiced your disgust. They should be allowed to voice theirs without being put down.

What is really wrong with society is people need to show more empathy to each other, find common ground and stop insulting people with a different opinion. Someone takes a offense to something, they are well within their right to do so. It doesn't make them weak. It does not mean you get to dictate when, why, and how they should be offended.

I'm glad he apologized because that word it hurtful. My teacher called me the n-word when I was 7 years old, because my parents taught me the meaning it cut me like a dagger then and the wound still hurts today. And that was in the early 1990s.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulslaver View Post
    Translation: Don't let facts get in the way of my feelings.
    Your translation is wrong, sir. When did I say that? Quote please.

State the facts all you want. I'm not going to deny them because its true. But what irks me is people using those facts over, over, and over again to "auto" win arguments (so they think). Speak your own mind without posting FBI links and stats. You are capable, right?
    Last edited by Birujinia; 2017-09-14 at 07:19 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Wow all these racists REALLY want to call black people the n-word. It's really telling.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    Calling someone a nigger isn't racist.
    This is basically my two cents as well. Unless you're singling someone out and being malicious towards them, no single word is really racist.

For the record, I know very little about this whole debacle outside of Campo Santo filing a DMCA takedown against Felix and deservedly getting backlash on Firewatch's Steam Reviews.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

You are well within your right to be disgusted at the offended. You voiced your disgust. They should be allowed to voice theirs without being put down.

What is really wrong with society is people need to show more empathy to each other, find common ground and stop insulting people with a different opinion. Someone takes a offense to something, they are well within their right to do so. It doesn't make them weak. It does not mean you get to dictate when, why, and how they should be offended.

I'm glad he apologized because that word it hurtful. My teacher called me the n-word when I was 7 years old, because my parents taught me the meaning it cut me like a dagger then and the wound still hurts today. And that was in the early 1990s.

Your translation is wrong, sir. When did I say that? Quote please.

State the facts all you want. I'm not going to deny them because its true. But what irks me is people using those facts over, over, and over again to "auto" win arguments (so they think). Speak your own mind without posting FBI links and stats. You are capable, right?
    I never said they're not allowed to voice their opinion. I merely said I find them [those calling him a racist] pathetic; perpetually stuck in their comfortable victim role.

Your parents made you weak. In stead of teaching you to wear that insult like armour, they taught you to be offended, even wounded by it! A word should not trigger your primal, emotional state this easily.

I do absolutely not agree that people should be taught more empathy, especially not this day and age, where everyone takes offence for everything. I think weak-willed, fragile people should be taught to be less susceptible to insults. That's what I was taught and what I'm teaching my children: Never allow anyone control the way you feel, especially if they're complete strangers. You won't always succeed, but you will often enough if you try.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2017-09-14 at 07:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TriHard View Post
    In my opinion, and I got a TON of hate on twitter for saying this. Going up to a black guy and dropping the N bomb is ofc racist, but if you're playing a game and just in the heat of the moment drop an F or an N bomb, I wouldn't say that is homophobic or racist, or if you've got the type of friends that call each other fags, I wouldn't think of that as homophobic.

I do believe context matters. It's just idiotic that people will once again use this as an excuse paint him as a racist, etc etc just to get clicks on their website. And ESPECIALLY with that dev going full on SJW. Though he did receive a ton of backlash for taking a stance against Pewdiepie in such a childish and unprofessional way.
    There is no context in which you use the words in an online competitive environment where it is acceptable. "Dude, don't be such a faggot. Why do you have to be such a nigger. Fucking niggers and their nigger snipers."

No where in my 20 years of gaming experience online has those two words meant anything but being disparaging.

You just don't say it. A lot of the responses here are exposing a lot of casual racists.

A lot of you are bending backwards because he is a gamer/YouTuber. I don't see how it is any different from when you get mad at other people using it.

As for games themselves. The ToS and EULA don't protect the purchaser at all. They exist to protect the company. They reserve the right to revoke your license at any point.

I never said they're not allowed to voice their opinion. I merely said I find them [those calling him a racist] pathetic; perpetually stuck in their comfortable victim role.

Your parents made you weak. In stead of teaching you to wear that insult like armour, they taught you to be offended, even wounded by it! A word should not trigger your primal, emotional state this easily.

I do absolutely not agree that people should be taught more empathy, especially not this day and age, where everyone takes offence for everything. I think weak-willed, fragile people should be taught to be less susceptible to insults.
    Well, that's you opinion. You are not black nor from the U.S., so I don't expect you to understand the meaning and hurtful context that word can have . You obviously lack empathy and was only taught by your parents to hate and be up-tight.

My parents taught me to stand up for what I think is right. Voice my opinions and shut down people saying I shouldn't. And to be strong independent black woman, not sitting around waiting for others to do things for me. If that makes me weak, so be it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do not believe that one has rights based on their skin colour and I most definitely do not believe that someone should be denied rights based on their skin colour. Ergo, a white man should be able to say nigger, if a black man can. The same can be said for cracker, or any other [derogatory] term.
    Honestly we should all just stop using the word, both as a positive and a negative. Not that people aren't using new words as a negative towards black people. Everyone forgets that at one point Irish people were as hated as blacks were in America but with time and effort, that perception has changed. Now we have a holiday for Irish people where we get drunk as hell. Rather than focusing on words and creating groups like Black Lives Matter, it would be more productive to actually prove society they're views on Blacks are wrong, just like the Irish did.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    Wow all these racists REALLY want to call black people the n-word. It's really telling.
    Your too blinded by your hate you're missing the point. Fact is the N-word is obtuse, and PewDiePie wasn't using it in a racist way. A word that was originally meant to describe color, describes black people negatively, to being equivalent to the word fuck.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2017-09-14 at 08:45 PM.

This thread needs to be closed. Just bickering going on now that PewDiePie apologized.

Well, that's you opinion. You are not black nor from the U.S., so I don't expect you to understand the meaning and hurtful context that word can have . You obviously lack empathy and was only taught by your parents to hate and be up-tight.

My parents taught me to stand up for what I think is right. Voice my opinions and shut down people saying I shouldn't. And to be strong independent black woman, not sitting around waiting for others to do things for me. If that makes me weak, so be it.
    That's quite a bit of assuming you do. You do not know what colour my skin is, nor do you know where I'm from originally. How about you ask first, if you think it's remotely relevant.

See? Your reaction just proved my point; you give in to your primary emotions at a blink of an eye and react based on feelings rather than ratio and objectivity. I do not lack empathy, I just value reason and rationality more than feelings when I'm conversing about controversial subjects. Which is why hate (which for some reason you assume was taught to me by my parents) does not fit into the equation, since it's a feeling.

You ought to stand up for yourself, you absolutely can voice your opinions and while everyone has the right to tell you you shouldn't, you have the right to ignore that. This is not what makes you weak. You inherited your weakness from your parents who made you believe it's perfectly fine to let words uttered by insignificant individuals wound you.

This, is the first thing you learn in the military, in police school and from your coach. Heck, the subject was even broached in medical school.

Someone can only offend you if you allow their words to have value.

Honestly we should all just stop using the word, both as a positive and a negative.
    No, banning or prohibiting ways of expression is for the ignorant, the fearful and the stupid. If someone wants to say nigger, it's their problem, not ours, regardless of our skin colour.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2017-09-14 at 09:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Dukenukem

Uh the Irish were persecuted but saying it was on the same level as black people is almost an insult. A Irish person can look any other white person, a black person cant stop being black. Hell one of te reasons why Irish people were accepted over black people is because of their skin.

Also "nigger" isnt obtuse. It has a very clear meaning. Whoever says "nigger" in the place of "fuck" has a learning disability.

Resident Cosplay Progressive