Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Profiling based on race runs afoul of the right to due process.

edit: Also, WikiLeaks is hardly a 'foreign power.' It's a site of extremely-questionable bordering on nonexistent ethics that mass-publish classified information on the principle that governments should be transparent with their people (at least, at the time of the Manning leaks; of late it seems more interested in pushing a pro-Putin narrative).
    Unless it's white people. My mistake, white straight males. Cause we're all racist, homophobic, islamophobic you name it as described by Hillary.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanEX View Post
    Unless it's white people. My mistake, white straight males. Cause we're all racist, homophobic, islamophobic you name it as described by Hillary.
    If you can show me an example of the police profiling white males with arrests and harrassing behavior, you'd have a point there. A bunch of jackasses generalizing a group and racial profiling are not synonyms--one involves police action and violates rights to due process of law, one is a bunch of jackasses with no power to enforce the generalization.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Uh yes...Arpaio's conviction for not complying with a judicial order to stop racially profiling latinos.
    Would've been simpler to point me to his wiki page, but to prove I'm not close minded...Arpaio and his subordinates were found to have unfairly targeted Hispanics in conducting traffic stops.[17]

Point conceded.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    If you can show me an example of the police profiling white males with arrests and harrassing behavior, you'd have a point there. A bunch of jackasses generalizing a group and racial profiling are not synonyms--one involves police action and violates rights to due process of law, one is a bunch of jackasses with no power to enforce the generalization.
    So this is just about police? Manning wasn't an officer, the guy people trying to compare to her was a cop.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

Harvard hires a patriot and a hero that risked her freedom to shed a light on illegal military activities. She was imprisoned for making the public aware of what their government was doing. She dared bring accountability to the military complex. She was imprisoned for exposing the massacres committed by the american military on the american people's backs. She didn't expose just any crime, she exposed war crimes. Instead of a peace prize, she got jail - this isn't how a free and democratic society should work, but rather how a fascist, authoritarian one does.
    I hope this is just one of many ways her bravery is recognized.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    That's the part that made me role my eyes.

If she's qualified, she's qualified. If she's done her time that should matter little in the scheme of things concerning future employment. That said, being a transgender is not some automatic qualification much like it shouldn't be an automatic disqualification.
    Doing time would have been the 35 years Manning was handed by the courts, but you can thank Obama for shortening it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Chelsea Manning is a hero.

With that said, regardless of her actions, she's still aware of a lot of things related to the US secret services. I strongly believe she is more than qualified to talk about what she was hired to speak of.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Doing time would have been the 35 years Manning was handed by the courts, but you can thank Obama for shortening it.
    Weeeeeeeeell. What are you going to do? Seriously, keep her locked up for all her life?

I like how I'm getting picked at for thinking being a transgender shouldn't qualify you automatically for a position concerning discussions on AI and simultaneously because I look at a pardon as a pardon and don't think her foolish mistake (which she probably did for good reasons) as being enough to damn you for eternity.

You're damned if you do, damned if you don't, fuck reasoning through your positions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellboi View Post
    Former CIA Acting Director Michael Morell on Thursday announced his resignation as a senior fellow at Harvard after the university named U.S. Army soldier-turned-convicted felon Chelsea Manning a visiting fellow.

Manning will take on the role at Harvard’s John F. Kennedy School of Government, the school said on its website.
    Now Playing

Chelsea Manning released from prison
    Close

“She speaks on the social, technological and economic ramifications of Artificial Intelligence,” the Harvard announcement said. “As a trans woman, she advocates for queer and transgender rights as @xychelsea on Twitter.”

Morell, a former CIA deputy director who twice served as acting director, announced his resignation from Harvard's Belfer Center was a result of Manning's appointment, saying he couldn't be part of an organization "that honors convicted felon and leaker of classified information."

"Senior leaders in our military have stated publicly that the leaks by Ms. Manning put the lives of U.S. soldiers at risk," Morell said. "I have an obligation in my conscience -- and I believe to the country -- to stand against any efforts to justify leaks of sensitive national security information."

Many people were flabbergasted the university gave Manning the title, calling it “unbelievable” that a person convicted of espionage could be considered a “fellow.”

“Of all the veterans who honorably served...Harvard hires Chelsea Manning who was convicted of espionage. Unbelievable,” retired gunnery sergeant Jessie Jane Duff wrote on Twitter.

“I'm loyal to Harvard, but I think I'll forego IOP events this fall. (I'd feel the same way if Chelsea Manning were still Bradley Manning.)” pundit Bill Kristol said. Manning replied: “Awesome ! can you ask @Seanspicer to do the same ? #WeGotThis.”

“#Bizarre; @Harvard names #ChelseaManning as #VisitingFellow on #LGBT.. He's more qualified to speak on #Treachery,” tweeted David Higgins, who identifies himself as having been in the U.S. Army.

“Seriously @Harvard?? Enabling a traitor to our country? You need to check your stupidity,” another user wrote on Twitter.

“How to become a Harvard Visiting Fellow: Leak 700,000 classified documents & get convicted of 6 espionage charges,” user J Michael Waller tweeted.

“And Harvard just named him a visiting fellow along with Chelsea Manning. Good examples for students on how to slime your way to the top,” another person wrote.

“Chelsea Manning Was Convicted of Leaking Classified Info — So Naturally, Harvard Sent Her a Job Offer,” a tweet read.

Manning, who was known as Bradley Manning before transitioning, was released from prison in May after serving seven years for leaking classified government materials to WikiLeaks. She was convicted in 2013 of espionage, theft and computer fraud, earning her a 35 year prison sentence -- until former President Barack Obama commuted the sentence.

CHELSEA MANNING FREED FROM KANSAS MILITARY PRISON

Manning's release from jail was widely criticized by members of Congress, who considered Manning's leaks of the nation's most sensitive secrets a danger to America's safety. House Speaker Paul Ryan called the move "just outrageous."

The convicted felon did not directly address the new job on her social media accounts, except in her response to Kristol. She will be joining former White House press secretary Sean Spicer and campaign manager Corey Lewandowski as fellows in the 2017-2018 school year.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/14...ng-fellow.html

I think this is a bad move for Harvard, why would they hire a convicted traitor? Who would want that political firestorm?!
    Actually Manning is a national hero and should be treated as such. Same for Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Blamblam41 View Post
    I mean. I fail to see how this matters? She was pardoned, just like yah boi Arpaio. Deal with it.
    He wasn't pardoned. His sentence was reduced.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Actually Manning is a national hero and should be treated as such. Same for Ed.
    Giving out information that literally endangered many lives is being a hero? Yeah sorry, but no he is not a hero.

- - - Updated - - -

Weeeeeeeeell. What are you going to do? Seriously, keep her locked up for all her life?

I like how I'm getting picked at for thinking being a transgender shouldn't qualify you automatically for a position concerning discussions on AI and simultaneously because I look at a pardon as a pardon and don't think her foolish mistake (which she probably did for good reasons) as being enough to damn you for eternity.

You're damned if you do, damned if you don't, fuck reasoning through your positions.
    No being a convicted felon should do that. It has nothing to do with him faking being trans to get out of prison.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hugnomo View Post
    Harvard hires a patriot and a hero that risked her freedom to shed a light on illegal military activities. She was imprisoned for making the public aware of what their government was doing. She dared bring accountability to the military complex. She was imprisoned for exposing the massacres committed by the american military on the american people's backs. She didn't expose just any crime, she exposed war crimes. Instead of a peace prize, she got jail - this isn't how a free and democratic society should work, but rather how a fascist, authoritarian one does.
    I hope this is just one of many ways her bravery is recognized.
    He went through the wrong routes when there are MANY in place in the military to expose things that are being done wrong. Instead he chose to release classified information to the entire world that endangered NUMEROUS lives. That's not a patriot. That's a loser who was clueless about how the organization they're trying to "expose" works. Then while in prison began this whole fake trans nonsense just to get the LGBT and Obama's support to get off the hook. Bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    He wasn't pardoned. His sentence was reduced.

- - - Updated - - -

Giving out information that literally endangered many lives is being a hero? Yeah sorry, but no he is not a hero.

- - - Updated - - -

No being a convicted felon should do that. It has nothing to do with him faking being trans to get out of prison.
    I would've pardoned Manning and Edward Snowden at this point myself.

What they did was vital to our republic's well-being when it comes down to it and yes, Manning in particular, may have leaked sensitive information that led to significant ramifications BUT quite frankly, considering what we're doing in the Middle East... All I can do is vaguely shrug my shoulders and give the good ole, "We shouldn't be there in the first place".

In other words. You should probably let it go.

So weird how people keep questioning her qualifications, as if they know anything about her qualifications, and as if Harvard just didn't bother to check or ask or do any research about her before they hired her.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Yeah, when you violate the law and commit treason against your country, your ass belongs in jail for as long as the sentence requires. Whether his pecker got chopped off or not has absolutely no bearing on the fact that Manning committed treason.

Quote Originally Posted by Kragragh View Post
    So weird how people keep questioning her qualifications, as if they know anything about her qualifications, and as if Harvard just didn't bother to check or ask or do any research about her before they hired her.
    So do you know something we don't? Want to share with the class her super secret qualifications?

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    So, does that mean this would be the same thing as Trump wanting to hire Sheriff Arpaio?
    Possibly but what he did was worse than Arpaio IMO.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    She/he/it lacks any formal education. She knows dick about AI and was a low ranking Military Intelligence Analyst. Harvard should be ashamed that they're inviting an idiot into their ranks. There's nothing academic about this, just progressive morons who deny science and reality. It won't be long before a harvard degree is meaningless.
    Sums it up perfectly.

I would've pardoned Manning and Edward Snowden at this point myself.

What they did was vital to our republic's well-being when it comes down to it and yes, Manning in particular, may have leaked sensitive information that led to significant ramifications BUT quite frankly, considering what we're doing in the Middle East... All I can do is vaguely shrug my shoulders and give the good ole, "We shouldn't be there in the first place".

In other words. You should probably let it go.
    So if I were to release all of your financial, health, etc information to every scammer in the country, but it exposed some embezzlement in your city it would be ok? Yeah bullshit. What they both did was completely wrong. Good intention pave the road to hell. They fucked up and broke the law for minimal benefit to offset the potential harm much less both of them ignored the actual existing and WORKING methods already in place.

So do you know something we don't? Want to share with the class her super secret qualifications?
    I never said I knew...because I don't know. That why I never questioned her qualifications. But other people who know as much as I do (re: zero) just assume she's unqualified and got hired for being transgendered, again, as if they know she's unqualified or as if Harvard would not check to see if she's qualified or not.

It isn't qualifications. Almost any other situation, a convicted FELON(which his crimes were worse than a felony) is almost never hired by most companies. Being a convicted felon alone makes you not qualified for most jobs. I doubt you would want a convicted felon to operate on you even if they still had all of the qualifications.

That why I never questioned her qualifications.
    Why wouldn't you question his qualifications?

The sentence ''progressive morons'' is so cute coming from the side that don't want to teach evolution, sex education and considers global warming ''a conspiracy''.