Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

USS Jimmy Carter Mission Success

Not much is known about what missions the USS Jimmy Carter (Seawolf Class SSN modified for covert missions), but it appears her latest cruise was a smashing success: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a19f50dfc5c9

Always good to see her succeed.

Uhm...Okay...

You are usually one of the more reasonable posters, but I hardly see how is this relevant or note worthy.

It's not like they torpedoed an ISIS battleship or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Uhm...Okay...

You are usually one of the more reasonable posters, but I hardly see how is this relevant or note worthy.

It means she performed a covert mission of great significance, wants the world to know it, and doesnt expect the target to figure out what happened to them. Its about the only way to know about such success.

10+ Year Old Account
    They found Half Life 3?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

7+ Year Old Account
    I suggest reading Blindman's Bluff, but I can neither confirm nor deny the content of the book. I had the chance to go under the ice on the Jimmy Carter when she transfered from Groton to Bangor to take over from the Parche since the ANAV was my good friend and he needed a competent NavET.

Thankfully I declined, they immediately ended up going on station once they got over in the Pacific.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    I suggest reading Blindman's Bluff, but I can neither confirm nor deny the content of the book. I had the chance to go under the ice on the Jimmy Carter when she transfered from Groton to Bangor to take over from the Parche since the ANAV was my good friend and he needed a competent NavET.

Thankfully I declined, they immediately ended up going on station once they got over in the Pacific.
    I read that book when it first came out actually. I always found bubblehead stories interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    ... the USS Jimmy Carter (Seawolf Class SSN modified for covert missions)...
    All submarines are designed for covert missions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    All submarines are designed for covert missions.
    No, all submarines are not specifically designed for covert operations. There is a reason the Jimmy Carter is 100 feet longer than her sister Seawolfs, just as the USS Parche before her was similarly modified.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    No, all submarines are not specifically designed for covert operations.
    Well, if you're talking about the NR-1, the Mystic and the Avalon, then you'd be correct. Otherwise, all submarines are designed for covert operations. Mine was, all the ones in my home port were and even all the boomers and guided missile submarines are designed, inherently, for covert operations. They all do them.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    They found Half Life 3?
    Alas, only its plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Uhm...Okay...

They stopped our Lord Cthulhu it is a sad day indeed.
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

Lots of speculation on the writers part as to what that flag means. It could mean lots, or nothing. Could mean it had a successful mission, or nothing to do with a mission. So, I would call the title click bait. If anything, we should discuss the possible meanings of the flag being flown since we don't know why its flown and it being flown was a British tradition.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Looks like the sub is old and falling apart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    Looks like the sub is old and falling apart.
    It's less than 20 years old and that's how subs just tend to look... although that crack in the sail does raise my eyebrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Lots of speculation on the writers part as to what that flag means.
    Agreed. Based on my experience, it's probably a nothingburger.

What class and purpose are most of the subs that are named after presidents?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    What class and purpose are most of the subs that are named after presidents?
    The Benjamin Franklin class ballistic missile submarines ("boomers") were mostly named after Presidents and other prominent American citizens. They carried Polaris, then Poseidon and finally Trident nuclear missiles. They were replaced by Ohio class submarines.

Edited to add; the Seawolf class submarines had no "theme" to their names... with ships called Seawolf, Jimmy Carter, and Connecticut.
    Last edited by Hammerfest; 2017-09-15 at 05:12 AM.

Gratz I guess? I mean.. what is the point of celebrating if we don't even know what they did? Although I guess you could say if we don't know what they did then it was a success.... :P

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    It's less than 20 years old and that's how subs just tend to look... although that crack in the sail does raise my eyebrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. Based on my experience, it's probably a nothingburger.
    It's sound absorbing material, not a crack on the actual sail. But a crack in the sail would be nothing anyway since the area is mostly free flood anyway. Loose, missing, damaged tile is expected as it happens all the time.

Nice, think i would have enjoyed working in a sub.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    It's sound absorbing material, not a crack on the actual sail. But a crack in the sail would be nothing anyway since the area is mostly free flood anyway. Loose, missing, damaged tile is expected as it happens all the time.
    First of all, that crack is not in any acoustic tiling, it's in the actual fairing. Second, I wouldn't say it "would be nothing." It would create flow noise as it compromises the hydrodynamic/acoustic properties of the sail.
    Last edited by Hammerfest; 2017-09-15 at 01:17 PM.