Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Buying pc from a friend

My friend wants to sell his PC to get a bicycle and have more time for his wife etc. My PC is about 6 years old and pretty bad and he offered me to sell his PC to me for friendly price of £1200 which includes everything written below. I would like to do some video editing and playing mostly older games. Any thoughts?

Case - Corsair Air 540
    Motherboard - Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z
    CPU - AMD FX 9590 4,7
    Corsair H80i water cooling
    GPU - Asus Strix 980ti OC
    Power supply - Corsair AX1200i
    2x8gb Corsair vengeance 2333 ram
    128gb Samsung Evo ssd
    2 tb seagate hard drive

ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q monitor 144hz gsync

Keep in mind he used to have SLI so that's the reason he haves 1200w power supply. I've obviously looked around and for average component prices and it might be a really good deal for me and he just couldn't be bothered to sell components separately.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think for 1200 pounds you could build a similar brand new one.

Deleted
    Your "friend" is ripping you off big time. All the components are outdated. You can build a better machine with modern, new parts for less.

Edit: He's not, I misread.
    Last edited by mmoc7d0ef109c7; 2017-09-15 at 06:41 PM. Reason: That guy called me retarded and hurt my feelings.

I wouldnt buy that for that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Scyo View Post
    Your "friend" is ripping you off big time. All the components are outdated. You can build a better machine with modern, new parts for less.
    Retarded comment.

He isnt being ripped off, only the screen and the GPU alone cover the price maybe add the case in there cause "used" at least in Euro terms,its not much difference pound wise.

Dont post if you are clueless about stuff.

To the actual OP.

If you arent planning on playing heavy multiplayer games there is nothing wrong with that PC.

I just dislike the AMD existence in it even if its at 4.7, its already rather old.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-09-15 at 06:32 PM.

I'd buy it. I'd sell the monitor and upgrade the cpu/motherboard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Retarded comment.

He isnt being ripped off, only the screen and the GPU alone cover the price maybe add the case in there cause "used" at least in Euro terms,its not much difference pound wise.

Dont post if you are clueless about stuff.

To the actual OP.

If you arent planning on playing heavy multiplayer games there is nothing wrong with that PC.

I just dislike the AMD existence in it even if its at 4.7, its already rather old.
    Ok sorry, I must've overlooked the screen. In that case yeah the price should be ok. The AMD is still a piece of shit CPU all things considered.

You can keep your smug comments and insults to yourself kid.

We always give a higher value to those things we own rather than the same things owned by strangers.

I would suggest that you price out the price of a newly built computer using decent parts and that will give you a ballpark figure for the value of the computer. What you decide to pay him is based on lots of things, including if you really want to help him out with the purchase of a bike.

I'd buy if you need the monitor and the PSU. That's a resell buy basically.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    I think for 1200 pounds you could build a similar brand new one.
    With that Monitor, PSU and GFX card?. I would like to see that.

In Denmark those 3 things are allready 1350£ . (980ti = 1070 +/-)

The monitor alone here in Denmark are 615£ and the PSU is 300£
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    To people saying he could get something similar for the same price but all new parts... Uh, let's be realistic:

If he goes for same tier of GPU, so, top NVidia, the 1080 Ti is MINIMUM $700... yikes. Okay, so we're left with $500. And the 1,200 GBP is also supposed to include a 1440p 144Hz G-Sync monitor!

Haters, people calling the poster/his friend retarded: exit is that way ---> please take it.
    @Teawaa, as a proper enthusiast, while I am not a fan of all the parts personally (can't say I liked the monitor when I had it) I recognize the value in this transaction and I think you'd be pretty happy with it for a solid chunk of time. When you want to upgrade, all you'd really HAVE to upgrade is the motherboard, CPU, and RAM. The GPU is still a strong guy, and you could upgrade that down the line. But there is already an SSD, a 2TB HDD (big enough for most people), a decent monitor (for most, just not me), and so on... Very good case and solid AIO CPU cooler. Your friend paid way more than 1,200 GBP when he got this new, and it's only a couple years old, so I will say this is a solid rig for the price.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scyo View Post
    You can keep your smug comments and insults to yourself kid.
    Ah yes, the good ol "I failed to read the proper information before giving my opinion and got called out for it so now I must tell someone not to insult me by insulting them in a demeaning manner." approach.

Honestly dude the whole calling someone "kid" approach is childish. Shows an extremely low level of maturity. You have no idea how old he is.

You jumped the gun and gave terrible advice, he called you out on it and corrected it so that OP doesn't follow it because it was indeed retarded advice. Not much else needs to be said after that and you looked even more dumb trying to put your big boy pants on.

To OP, It's a decent price considering everything else involved. As others mentioned the CPU is outdated and especially if you plan to play mostly WoW then it would really benefit from replacing it. Good news is the mobo is expensive on it's own and it's an enthusiast AMD CPU so it's possible that you might find an AMD fan that would want it to play around with it. Could part it out to offset some if not most of the costs for a decent Intel CPU+Mobo (or even Ryzen for that matter).
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2017-09-15 at 08:33 PM.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

off topic, but good for your friend

I hope you enjoy the PC if you purchase , sweet monitor

Deleted
    Thank you very much to everyone who responded.
    Considering my *cough* rig *cough* have AMD A10 5700 CPU with AMD Radeon HD 7500 series (according to dxdiag), anything is an upgrade for me. I don't have an SSD either.
    As advised, I might replace the motherboard and CPU for better one but still anything would make much better job than my current pc is doing.
    I really appreciate all the responses. In few days I will visit him, check the pc, decide whether or not to buy it and update this post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teawaa View Post
    Thank you very much to everyone who responded.
    Considering my *cough* rig *cough* have AMD A10 5700 CPU with AMD Radeon HD 7500 series (according to dxdiag), anything is an upgrade for me. I don't have an SSD either.
    As advised, I might replace the motherboard and CPU for better one but still anything would make much better job than my current pc is doing.
    I really appreciate all the responses. In few days I will visit him, check the pc, decide whether or not to buy it and update this post.
    Unless your friend is a fake, you're likely to find it will be a good purchase.

CPU and motherboard (and RAM) should be good for now, though!
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    To people saying he could get something similar for the same price but all new parts... Uh, let's be realistic:

If he goes for same tier of GPU, so, top NVidia, the 1080 Ti is MINIMUM $700... yikes.
    This is just stupid.

"Something similar" means... a GPU that performs similarly to the 980Ti.

You know, a GTX 1070.

Now, im not saying this is a bad deal - the Monitor alone is worth ~500 used, so thats a great start, and the 980Ti isn't exactly a slouch in modern games.

But the comparison you just tried to make is nonsensical, to put it politely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    This is just stupid.

"Something similar" means... a GPU that performs similarly to the 980Ti.

You know, a GTX 1070.

Now, im not saying this is a bad deal - the Monitor alone is worth ~500 used, so thats a great start, and the 980Ti isn't exactly a slouch in modern games.

But the comparison you just tried to make is nonsensical, to put it politely.
    Fine, and I kinda figured someone would point that out.

There's a couple ways you could look at it, but even a 1070 still brings the budget to a painful spot, as someone else mentioned.

However, when the friend bought the 980 Ti, it was top at the time, so, maybe Mr. OP would like the best current GPU. Who knows? He does. Either way, it WAS dumb for people to lay into him, and you and I both agree on that.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Fine, and I kinda figured someone would point that out.
    However, when the friend bought the 980 Ti, it was top at the time, so, maybe Mr. OP would like the best current GPU. Who knows? He does. Either way, it WAS dumb for people to lay into him, and you and I both agree on that.
    I don't need to have the best one, all I need to have worth out of my money. I have been patiently for new GPU and CPU to come out but they seem to not make such a difference and 980ti will carry me for another few years without a problem.

Where i come from that monitor and VGA alone cost that much so i would buy it in instant if those parts are not damaged

Quote Originally Posted by Teawaa View Post
    I don't need to have the best one, all I need to have worth out of my money. I have been patiently for new GPU and CPU to come out but they seem to not make such a difference and 980ti will carry me for another few years without a problem.
    That build is definitely worth the money, as mentioned before, in most EU countries the screen and GPU alone even used cost as much as your friend is asking, add the 150e case, thats how much the Air 540 costs here and it rounds up perfectly, without even the PSU and the rest.

Only problem is the AMD, despite being at 4.7Ghz its already 6 years old tech and it was already on the weak side then.

Get the build, enjoy it for a year or two, and upgrade CPU/Mobo/RAM while keeping the rest is what you should do imo.

The 980 Ti will still be a beast 3-4 years from now.

Then again if as you claim you wont really game on it and just some editing and older games the AMD will do its job just fine.