Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabled View Post
    The only part I find painful is Northrend. It's dungeons and questing just feel so boring compared to the content before and after, even when I've leveled dozens upon dozens of alts since Wotlk to present day.
    I find TBC the worst as DPS. That flight speed is horrendous these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    I find TBC the worst as DPS. That flight speed is horrendous these days.
    TBC isn't too bad, for me at least, the dungeon queues are pretty fast there, so it breaks up the slow pace of questing
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

Quote Originally Posted by leviathonlx View Post
    If you think WoW on an alt is slow and painful I suggest you never ever give FF14 a shot.
    oh jesus fuck. the god damned ARR quests take FOREVER and give no xp

lvling is really easy, 3 - 4 days. ( plus distractions )

at around 50, I just lose all motivation. I just reached lvl 62 right now with a druid alt that I am lvling with the gf, and I just can't find enjoyment in the leveling experience anymore. I don't know what is to blame here, but something needs to change.

Quote Originally Posted by MHMabrito View Post
    I just did 1-110 in 3 days, so... sounds like user error.
    As in 3 days straight as in 72 hours? With heirlooms?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    As in 3 days straight as in 72 hours? With heirlooms?
    I did 1-110 on a warrior, (never have played the class ever), full heirlooms, no dungeons, no groups of any kind... 2days 4 hours played (thats 52 hours)

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Not slow but ridiculously boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    The expansion is not alt or new player unfriendly any more
    New player / first char is fine, catch ups are great and the experience is much improved. Now alts... Having to do the whole Argus questline including the dungeon to unlock the second part of 7.3 order hall missions is what I dread, 12 times the same thing.

Someone before mentioned SWTOR levelling... you know what felt great about it? It felt different depending on your class and alignment, npcs will react to you differently based on class (and on Empire side also whether you're a human or an alien), and your responses would make small differences in the conclusion of the quests, mostly non-power related just story wise, but you could get a different cutscene or different mail after so it kinda felt different whether you played an evil or good character.

That's what I miss in WOW and even in Legion where we supposedly had "class fantasy" focus it makes little difference if I'm a warlock or a paladin, we're generic "champions" and "heroes" and have very little say if any on the quest resolution. Doing the same quest is exactly the same experience and it gets boring fast.

WOD, despite all the criticism, actually was the expansion where there was some variety, especially in Gorgrond, but in few other zones there were 2 paths depending on the outposts you chose, so I wasn't immediately bored redoing a zone on an alt.

WOTLK was also decent in a way there were way more zones and questlines than necessary to level to max, so you could find different routes for a few alts.

The rest of the expansions, not much really, Cata only had Hyjal or Vashir thing, and Vashir sucked and if you really insisted on doing it instead, you got fucked with Firelands patch because Hyjal was required to unlock dailies. MOP had some early alternatives Krasarang vs Valley of 4 Winds (I mean when it was current not when it was nerfed to the point you can get all the necessary levels from Jade Forest and a few treasures), but every character always ended up in Dread Wastes and they sucked.

Legion had this issue too, theoretically you could pick and choose what you wanted but a lot of things kinda shoehorned you into specific route, early on before WQ were account wide, best route was "do x zone until friendly, then jump to next", and even then there were 2 questlines that straight out forced you to do specific zones - balance of power required Azsuna and Illidan / Xera questline required Valsharah. Also Stormheim until Hrydshal was required if you wanted to unlock the drake to fly you to some dailies (in pre-flying world). So despite liking Highmountain, I often ended up cutting it on my alts because it wasn't "mandatory" for anything while the other stuff was.

I miss levelling like in WOTLK or WOD, that there was variety and no hard-pushing into specific zones.WOTLK only had 1 mandatory questline for end game, and that was unlocking sons of Hodir. And yes, again it was boring to do this stuff on all alts (I had 6 alts in WOTLK).

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    I did 1-110 on a warrior, (never have played the class ever), full heirlooms, no dungeons, no groups of any kind... 2days 4 hours played (thats 52 hours)
    Hmmm... Time for me to go level another one then!

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisxor View Post
    Leveling in this game was never painful EVER. Some levels in everquest took 12+ hours of grinding mobs over and over to level ONE level. Hell levels anyone? Who remembers level 59 haha.
    Just 12 hours? You must have played much later when it became faster. I've started during the Velious expansion and it took me a year of very active playing to get to max level.
    A typical gameplay session at a high level looked like this: spend 2 hours looking for a group (solo leveling was impossible unless you were one of the 3 kiting classes and even then it was hard); spend 3 hours farming mobs with that group; gain 6% of a level; feel it was time well spent.

Like, what are we even talking about?

I played Lineage 2 on official for years. Do you know how it is there? The EXP bar is as accurate as 58.245% of a level (you have 3 decimals past the initial % to gauge at), and after level 80 (it never caps, and the absolute minimum that you can actually pvp as is 95) you do not see the EXP bar % go up.

Did I mention that there are NO quests as well? You're only to level up via pure mob grinding.
    Did I mention that if you don't have buffs (30 minute buffs that increase your stats by more than 200% overall) you cannot kill any mob of your level?
    Did I mention that there at least was no party exp bonus?
    Did I mention that WHENEVER you would die you would lose 4% of your EXP bar no matter your level and that included PvP deaths?
    Did I mention that you could get PKed (Player Killed, a term that stands for killing a player with them never fighting back while you do it), or killed in a clan war without a penalty for the killer while you were leveling (cause of the clan war) and still lose 4%?
    Did I mention that as a caster, you did NOT have infinite mana NOR did you have water to drink, and you had to sit down (with /sit) to regen your mana in a timeframe of 10mins simply sitting to go at it again?
    Did I mention that if you were a Spellsinger, your mana would go out after killing like 80-100 mobs and you had to walk while you were grinding simply because it offered a greater mana regen?
    Did I mention that while walking you were obviously extremely susceptible to being killed by your warring clans?
    Did I mention that the only classes that had a spell to recharge your mana could NOT level up by themselves and you needed to party up with them with multiboxing and grind them up with your main caster and those classes didn't even have the whole array of buffs you needed to actually level up even remotely efficiently?

Do not complain about WoW's leveling.

Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post

Back in vanilla days it took months to level a character to 60.
    First character sure, took me like 18 days /played to hit 60
    2nd Char was down to 7 though
    3rd somewhere around 5-6

Think the world record ended up somewhere at 3-4 days played.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Huh? Race change only costs 25 if I remember correctly. Fantasia is an appearance change not a level boost. ^^
    Right, got mind fart because i wanted also change server which is additional 30. Anyway, it is still 3.5 as much. And in ff14 you have every class on one toon so it is even better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fandis View Post
    Just 12 hours? You must have played much later when it became faster. I've started during the Velious expansion and it took me a year of very active playing to get to max level.
    A typical gameplay session at a high level looked like this: spend 2 hours looking for a group (solo leveling was impossible unless you were one of the 3 kiting classes and even then it was hard); spend 3 hours farming mobs with that group; gain 6% of a level; feel it was time well spent.
    Had to love being a druid that could kite.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

I think the worst part of WoW levelling is that it's so fast you outlevel the zone before you finish it.

What they've done in Legion is actually pretty good, and should be expanded on.

Apply the zone scaling tech to all old areas (maybe let you level up to the previous expansion cap anywhere, and use the current zones to go to the current cap).

Give you the starting hub flight point for all zones.

Flight Master's Whistle made a baseline ability, as it's great in all areas where you can't fly.

Random events from time to time that you can participate in to get a large boost to XP. The invasions at the end of last expansion were really good for that, but maybe tone down the frequency of them to one event up per continent every 4 hours or so for a 4 hour duration.

I have a bunch of toons staled at 35
    It's really boring.
    And, oh my fucking god if you chose a Goblin, that starting zone is shit

After a while it sure gets stale. I'd like a system of accoutn wide quest tracking, so if you've already done aquest you can skip it altogether on alts.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by leviathonlx View Post
    If you think WoW on an alt is slow and painful I suggest you never ever give FF14 a shot.
    I started it just the other week on a server that had a "Road to 60" buff (100% extra XP until you reach 60, which is 'vanilla' and the first expansion) which just ended the other day. While the leveling ITSELF isn't so bad... though yeah it is... it's that you unlock almost EVERYTHING with MAIN QUESTS. EVEN EXPANSIONS. o_o

For those who don't know, let me try give an explanation in WoW terms: Imagine that you are not allowed to go to Outland, no matter your level, even if you somehow get to 65, UNLESS you have cleared either Kalimdor or Eastern Kingdoms with all their "main quests" (so not the hidden ones) with all their quests.

That's kinda how FF14 goes - you have to do 285 main quests (103 of them are when you're 50, max level of that vanilla, already). And those quests aren't entirely like WoW either where you just go "Okay, go talk to that dude and the quest is done." - you can end up, on just one quest, having to talk to 3 people in entirely different zones, get told to go into a dungeon, and THEN you finished ONE quest!

So, you know. Better hope you like the story! I know I didn't 3/4 of the time...!

...And then imagine leveling an alt and have to do it all over again...!
    Last edited by Sigxy; 2017-09-16 at 12:43 PM.

Quite the opposite, really.

Heirlooms, massive xp from dungeons and quests, and constant nerf to the required xp to level trivialized leveling on WoW. It's the furthest from 'painful' as it could be, but hey, anything that takes longer than a couple of hours if painful for the instant gratification crowd nowadays.