[Balance Artifact] New Moon, Half Moon, Full Moon

I leveled my druid alt via pre-Legion invasions. So really, I didn't get much of the sun/moon cycling--which I think is gone, right?

Anyway, what does the artifact main trait of New Moon (which can become Half Moon, and then Full Moon) mean? Is it some sort of cycling thing, where I have to watch some indicator to know when to press that hotkey?

I'm trying to get a good enough grasp on my priority list so I'm not a complete scrub in dungeons (to advance order hall and profession chains). So I'd appreciate any help! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticGamer View Post
    I leveled my druid alt via pre-Legion invasions. So really, I didn't get much of the sun/moon cycling--which I think is gone, right?
    Gone the days where you have to watch that damn cycle thing.

Anyway, what does the artifact main trait of New Moon (which can become Half Moon, and then Full Moon) mean? Is it some sort of cycling thing, where I have to watch some indicator to know when to press that hotkey?

I'm trying to get a good enough grasp on my priority list so I'm not a complete scrub in dungeons (to advance order hall and profession chains). So I'd appreciate any help! :-)
    Each time you use a Moon spell you will go into the next phase (New -> Half -> Full -> Back to New). In a nutshell, you don't want to be sitting on 3 charges.
    People hated MoP but now many say it is the "Best" expansion. Given enough time, WoD will be the "Best" as well, I dare say.

Don't overcap on MoonMoon charges, Astral Power and Empowerments when possible. That's pretty much all there is to it. If you have to, sacrifice Empowerments first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, there's not really much of a cycle you need to actively watch. It's worded strangely but it basically just means the spell itself changes after each cast. It starts at New Moon. After you cast New Moon, the spell changes to Half Moon. After you cast Half Moon, it changes to Full Moon. After you cast Full Moon, it reverts back to New Moon and so on and so forth. Your hotbar icon will automatically change to the new spell after a cast so you only have to press that one button.

- - - Updated - - -

To get a better understanding between the different spells, though, here is a little more information:

New Moon: Generates 10 Astral Power. 1 second cast. Low damage.
    Half Moon: Generates 20 Astral Power. 2 second cast. Medium damage.
    Full Moon: Generates 40 Astral Power. 3 second cast. High damage.

Each spell has a 15 second recharge so the idea is that you never want to let all of the abilities come back up, and will want to keep in mind how much AP each spell generates so you don't overcap. So it's really easiest to think of it as charges like mentioned by other posters. It has 3 charges and you never want to be sitting at 3 charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Meteox View Post
    In a nutshell, you don't want to be sitting on 3 charges.
    This is the only real rule for Moon spells. You can make them your top or lowest priority, but #1 priority is to never hit 3 charges. As long as it's at 0-2 and always recharging, you're good. Just make your priority higher to cast it if you see 2 charges.

For the entire spec, here's the top priorities list:
    - Not going above 100 Astral Power (130 with 2p T20)
    - Not letting DoTs fall off (unless target is very close to death)
    - Not capping 3 Moon charges
    - Not wasting Solar/Lunar Empowerments (this is the lowest 'top priority' ability though and may need to be sacrificed if you use the legendary bracers, Oneth's Intuition, and you get a ton of procs)

Then there's obviously our cooldown (CA/Inc), you don't want to be sitting on that either unless you're trying to line up the Owl trinket with it using IFE.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Meteox View Post
    Gone the days where you have to watch that damn cycle thing.

Each time you use a Moon spell you will go into the next phase (New -> Half -> Full -> Back to New). In a nutshell, you don't want to be sitting on 3 charges.
    Pretty much this always use it at or before 3 charges. Once you get it you will wind up with it just being in the rotation and it works pretty well. Dropping the big moon on people is some serious damage and resources so a great opener if you can set it up so you have it available to start a pull.

Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    Pretty much this always use it at --- 3 charges.
    If it hits 3 charges, with the exception of a prepull (which you're supposed to cast the first charge before a pull anyway), either the boss is invisible/untargetable for at least ~30s or you did something wrong. It should never be at 3 charges. Even blowing a charge (provided it's not a full moon unless you'd waste at least 15s of a recharge) on an immune boss (like Gul'dan or Kil'Jaeden P1/P2 transitions) is still useful since you'll get full AsP for it.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

I'm going to have to work on customizing the WA I downloaded... (My interface, frankly, sucks.)

Try this weak aura. For me, it's so good that I think it should be the default UI for Boomkin.
    https://wago.io/4y7qKOBVW

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zeoos View Post
    Try this weak aura. For me, it's so good that I think it should be the default UI for Boomkin.
    https://wago.io/4y7qKOBVW

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk
    I've downloaded it, I'll check it out.

But blimey, does Weak Auras need lots of LUA editing to be useful?

This one doesn't. I use it as it is.

I meant in general. I'm hoping to customize some of the WAs I've found, but if it involves editing the LUA, I'm S.O.L.

I meant in general. I'm hoping to customize some of the WAs I've found, but if it involves editing the LUA, I'm S.O.L.
    More advanced ones like the AP ProBar have ton of custom code in them.

WeakAuras are basically an engine to make addons in. Basic ones can work with tools provided by WA, but more complicated stuff will require custom code.

Feel free to ask questions if you're confused on something, or would like to edit some things. (It's my WA.)

Also, in "Actions: OnInit" there sits a lot of options related to that specific aura. Some auras can be customized easily. Changing "true" to "false", for example, is how the majority of changes can be made.

Here's an example from the code itself:

AP_Number --> Actions --> OnInit

Code:
    aura_env.decimal = false
    -- Show the decimal from known partial energy? (Mostly for Blessing of the Ancients)

aura_env.predict = true
    -- Show predicted Astral Power? (Does not stop background calculations)
    The Boomkings(WIP) :: YouTube Project

Deleted
    ooooohhh good idea