Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannica View Post
    It backfired. The younger people i was in the cinema with, some that never watched a star wars movie at all, not even the prequels, hated it. So i call this old fans vs younger generation bias BS.

Besides the point of my first post was ignored.

I was more interested on opinions HOW imdb reviews were alltogether extremely bad about that movie, while it was rated rather high?

Explain this please, someone?

Explain the high rating with he massive bad reviews?

Here is the link again: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2488496/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

Go through the pages, it won't get any better.
    It's a result of their weighted rating system and it being one the top 250 theatrical feature films... Rating is a bit out of whack for the controversial ones in the bottom top 250.

The formula for calculating the Top Rated 250 Titles gives a true Bayesian estimate:
    weighted rating (WR) = (v ÷ (v+m)) × R + (m ÷ (v+m)) × C where:
    R = average for the movie (mean) = (Rating)
    v = number of votes for the movie = (votes)
    m = minimum votes required to be listed in the Top 250
    C = the mean vote across the whole report

for the Top 250, only votes from regular voters are considered.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Anyone want to bet that the third movie is basically the same premise as Return of the Jedi?

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    After all the prequels the Force Awakens was a breath of fresh air. Star Wars isn't known for it's writing, it's known for its visuals, floating cities, fancy robots, stuff that makes you go "woah!"

I'll watch it and maybe more than once.
    That's honestly my stance as well. People can harp on about how much of a Mary Sue Rey is and all that, but let's not act as if the originals were the nec plus ultra of well written cinema. People remember the iconic characters and the spectacle, the actual plot was nothing really special. I do admit that the recycling of the entire plot of ep.4 was lazy but otherwise it's an enjoyable movie, like the originals. I liked Rogue One more, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Arthur Dayne View Post
    Rogue One was awesome! But maybe too dark for you, maybe you needs some ewoks n shit?? Movie wasn't perfect, but it was good, way better than I expected. Pleasant surprise. Things have been going down-hill since Return of the Jedi, fucking baby bears defeating a galactic empire..wtf?...Rogue One is the first movie since Empire that is good.

I bet these furry little cunts are going to defeat the last order n sell a gazillion toys..

Wtf?!

Porgs might the single one reason that might redeem the new triology, if that is even possible!

Did you even see how cute they are?!

Whats wrong with you?!

Other than that TFA is a totally disaster(no Porgs!) no kids want to buy TFA toys without cute furballs in it. There is simply no point. Besides there is no Vader and Jabba.....i saw those toys so often in the 80ies and kids around them in school.

But what i really wanted to tell people about the topic is, that JJ is hardly a supernatural beeing who could direct, screen write and plot write and expect the best results. In TFA the writers left the production and he had to do it to keep the schedule of the movie.

The result is, even said by those that liked the movie and its "special effects" directing, that the plot writing was lackluster and it shows.

I am one of those who do not think TFA was a remake of ANH, this is why:

ANH hat 2 of the legendary english acting Sirs in it, with Alec Guiness and Peter Cushing, while TFA tried to copy this with Max von Sydow and Harrison Ford(who is now obviously aged), the problem here is, Sydow had no time to develop his character or even act proberly and was killed at the beginning of the movie - thus, there was no point to even include him, other than put his legendary name as an excellent senior actor under a miserable title that tries hard to copy paste all of the old triology movies, but in a disgusting fashion, that no new audience will like.(they only like the special effects and faster pacing)

Wasting Sydows potential as an accomplished actor, was the worst moment i had when i watched that movie in the cinema and to tell the truth i was very angry!!!
    The movie did not get any better nor did it made up for that loss of an opportunity to give some actual depth to the bad writing in any way.

I'd say the irritating behaviour of Finn to his stormtrooper colleagues killing them in cold blood without a good explanation as well as the whole concept of a starkillerbase that destroys multiple planets at once was the final nail in the coffin for this movie. Starkillerbase never looked or sounded as cool as "Deathstar" so TFA is simply a weak rip off, of the old triology. If it wouldn't be for the high production costs and special effects i would say this is a fan made film. Not even George Lucas did like it, what tells a lot allready.
    Did you know that G. Lucas is merely a good plot writer? Willow was good too, as a movie and tale.

So thats disneys ultimate failure, they did not allow George Lucas to write the actual plot. The story would be there and the whole relaunch of the franchise would have more credibility. Yeah, probably with some millions wasted in marketing a new lotr movie and book would sell well, because out of nostalgic reasions and high demand, but its no longer an original idea as the creator has long passed away. Lucas isn't dead and disney did not allow him to participate in TFA. For this alone i hope the cash mouse will burn in hell!

Wouldn't surprise me if disney somehow would buy the rights of the tolkien heirs, billions can accomplish almost impossible things!

Finally i have to say, even Porgs will do better, i could watch a still picture of Porgs and will rate that higher than the whole TFA movie and you can't teach that!

Because at least, Porgs *are* cute and TFA is nothing but a failure as far as plot and characters are considered. Something most important for many viewers. Again here is the link as a reminder for the 3rd time for the most stubborn of the JJ fans out here, of the so called minority of over 4k negative audience reviews:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2488496/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

And it really is a minority, simply because most people do not bother to comment on imdb or anywhere else. They just walk away in disgust and keep their mouths shut, IF they were not fans to begin with, because for them TFA is just another bad transformer movie in disguise they couldn't be arsed with. Just ask most girls for instance - Rey won't change that, its just another disgusting wrong to add political correctness to a rather timeless franchise. As such the Zeitgeist of a decade does not translate well into space opera.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Too everyone complaining, we could always give George Lucas full control over directing the next movie.... Ha ha
    As i said many times before, he should only do the plot writing and nothing else...he was at his prime at a director in the 70ies/80ies.

Did you even see how cute they are?!

Porgs are awesome.

It backfired. The younger people i was in the cinema with, some that never watched a star wars movie at all, not even the prequels, hated it. So i call this old fans vs younger generation bias BS.

I was more interested on opinions HOW imdb reviews were alltogether extremely bad about that movie, while it was rated rather high?

People you were in the cinema with are not even 0.01% of the total amount of people who watched the movie. It's not representative of anything at all.

As for bad reviews but high rating, this happens a lot in our day and age with many entertainment products like movies, music and games. The basic of it is that people who are unhappy are far more vocal about it, so in our face we see more bad, while hidden in the back there's a lot more people, that we don't see, who just rate it high without flipping tables about it.

So things are rated high because they are liked by the vast majority, but the people doing actual reviews are the one so mad they just have to write about it.

And more specifically about TFA, I quickly went over some of the reviews in your link. Those are all people who didn't understand the core concept of soft reboot. They have every right to not enjoy that, but let's be logical here, we see reboots of every franchise withing less than 10 years of the previous one (spiderman, batman, and so on), so why would ANYONE expect a franchise to just follow up right after the last episode over 30 years ago years ago? That makes no sense at all.

No one in these reviews seem to even think or analyse the ideas and goal of that movie, they all just spit out their own opinion and taste. That's not being critique at all, that's just expressing your view, which, to be quite frank, is 100% meaningless.

Another thing, a lot of people act like Star Wars in the first place was like the messiah of cinematic accomplishments. Let's be very clear, it was visually cool for it's time and it did a bunch of things right to appeal to as many people as possible but it was never the most impressive artistic work. Why all of a sudden people expect every actor to be fucking top notch, Mark Hamill sucked ass in Episode 4, straight up, no point hiding it.

There's a bandwagon of hate for TFA, people can jump on it if they want it's their right, but it's also their duty to realize it's just one wagon, the rest of the train loved that movie and being in that little wagon of circle jerking doesn't make them right in any way shape or form.

- - - Updated - - -

Porgs might the single one reason that might redeem the new triology, if that is even possible!
    The new Trilogy doesn't need any redeeming. If anything it's making the franchise grow. You seem to live in a bubble of your own opinion that entirely ignores everything opposing your views, without realizing what the movie has accomplished and how many people actually liked it.

Also about the rest of your post. The writing in episode 4-5-6 wasn't exactly great, it was fine and for the plot it was probably slightly better than TFA, and again, that's just because TFA is a soft reboot, they had to do that. George Lucas is not a good writer, he's a good creator, he made a very compelling universe that holds itself strong, with alien languages, economic systems, etc, a bunch of stuff and details that make the star wars universe really cool. But the script writing itself isn't his strength. Need I remind you he wrote the prequels? Yeah, the movies that had extremely huge marketing, big name actors, everything, and did WAY LESS in term of both profit and overall appreciation compared to TFA.

If anything, The Force Awakens IS the redemption the franchise needed after the prequels.

Also Rogue One was good.

As much fun as it is to bag on Abrams they dodged a bullet with releasing Colin Trevorrow so I can't be mad at them for this.

How bad was Trevorrow's Book of Henry to get him fired? No cinemas are showing it, so I can't judge myself

I would have liked to have seen Michael Bay given the job personally.
    Last edited by ramjb; 2017-09-16 at 06:11 PM.

Its a good thing. If you look at colin trevorrow only great hit/"good" film was the turd called Jurassic world. Witch was a turd.

But still Jar Jar is also a bad pick...star wars 7 ( FA) was a weak movie. It had its great moments and it look great. But story wise it was very very bad. Also giant ass Jar Jar plot holes. ( could go on and on)
    Do not get me wrong...allot of stuff he produced or directed i like ( lost, fringe, westworld etc etc etc). But if you look at his movies they are kinda...meehhh some are nice but most of his director debuts are kinda behhh.

Do not get me wrong...i would not know who should replace him...but Jar Jar is treading in a wattoo for a jar jar....equally annoying.

directors i would pick before Jar Jar:
    - duncan Jones....moon and source code great sci fi movies...but both where more thinking movies...a big action flick like warcraft he fail ( mostly at)
    - doug liman...recently some great films...but he has had his share of wtf movies...edge of tomorrow was great...mr and ms smith was not.
    - Christopher Nolan his movies are great. Only problem is star wars is not only a narrative movie with good story but also action...can he pull of a full action ( sci fi action) that is...

Personally i would go for Nolan.

- - - Updated - - -

Too everyone complaining, we could always give George Lucas full control over directing the next movie.... Ha ha
    As long as he does not write the story or does the casting..it should be fine. Episode 3 was miles ahead on some parts with episode 7.

But if he also does the casting and the writing...then you are right :S:S

It has an 8.1 on IMDB, 92 Fresh Critic score on Rotten tomatoes as well as a 89% liked with users...

Seems to me most people really enjoyed The Force Awakens, aside from the Fan Boys who believe nothing will ever be as good as the originials. Like the Start Trek fan who hated the most reboot of the Star Trek movie. Both were great. IMO
    the bandwagon fans voting it good doesnt mean its a good movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I guess episode 9 will just be a Return of the Jedi reboot? Great....

I find it greatly entertaining to see the amount of people souring on this new disney star wars narative when i was shouted down not 2 years ago for shitting on it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xChurch View Post
    So I guess episode 9 will just be a Return of the Jedi reboot? Great....
    No, he will pick up the discard manus of Return of the Jedi then Luke fall (become the new emperator????) and then say see you never expected that....

10+ Year Old Account

What filter are you using on IMDB? If you're using the "best" one you'll mostly get the bad reviews up as they tend to "up" other bad reviews to spread their hate propaganda.

Also, you can rank a movie without leaving a review. Meaning I can give it a 10, without it showing up on the review page, but still contributing to the score.

I suggest the chronological filter. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2488496/...?filter=chrono
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    I find it greatly entertaining to see the amount of people souring on this new disney star wars narative when i was shouted down not 2 years ago for shitting on it.
    It takes time for people to get over the excitement and then be able to take a step back and think critically about something. People loved the prequels when they came out, then later realized "wow, this didn't measure up to my expectations, let's nitpick every problem!", then took a decade before people were able to figure out why they loved the prequels in the first place, and appreciate it for what it did right.

Force Awakens is the same thing: overall, it's underwhelming, but it did give us some memorable moments. I remember my heart pounding during the bridge scene; the early worldbuilding on the Tattooine expy with all the scavenging, rations, and instant-muffins was cool. Snowy dark forests are criminally underused locations for eerie fight scenes. Otherwise, it's forgettable.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually that is exactly what it means.
    Popularity ≠ quality (though popularity is usual an indicator that the product did something unique, otherwise so many people wouldn't have gotten so excited over it to become fanboys and defend it to the death)

Deleted
    I really don't want JJ touching anything anymore. I want a new story please. I really don't want a rehash.

Or maybe you're one of the fanboys that would never be pleased no matter what they did.
    Nobody hates Star Wars more, than Star Wars fan boys. It's bizarre.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    Abrams can direct fine, but he should never be involved in writing. He is utterly unimpressive.
    He co-wrote TFA with Lawrence Kasdan, and will be doing the same in Ep. 9. Are you saying Kasdan can't write a good Star Wars movie? Like...for real?

I would have liked someone else, but I think JJ + Howard will do a well enough job. Too early to tell, but I hope Kennedy's cuts are a positive. I'd rather have someone get in there and cut out the bad BEFORE it makes it to screen like the prequels.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    I'm still not over people still thinking Episode 1 is the worst star wars. When Attack of the Clones is clearly so much worse. I rather watch the twilight love story than to watch that horrible love story garbage.

Force Awakens is a GREAT movie. But the WORST Star Wars movie. (develops nothing new, and adds nothing of value to the universe)

Attack of the clones is the worst movie. And an average Star Wars movie. (greatly develops the universe)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    I love how ppl are complaining that the guy who directed the 2nd highest grossing movie of all time world wide and the highest grossing movie in North America is getting another opportunity to direct one of these films. Yea guys im totally going to take your opinion over the millions of others who loved the movie so much they went to see it again and again and again in theaters. I saw this movie 5 times in theaters. If you think other movies are so much better than what JJ put out then why are you not seeing them repeatedly. And why dont millions of people see it repeatedly? Some people go see a movie once and even tho its a good movie wont see it again in theaters. This movie had sooo many repeat viewings. If people hated it as much as you guys did why did it make so much money. Your a minority, no one cares what you think about the movie.
    I agree. Sure, there are annoying re-hash complaints about TFA to be made fairly. But on the whole, TFA is just a good movie. Rogue One, is not a good movie. Yet, the edge lords just love Rogue One, and hate TFA. I had trouble staying awake, or even caring what was going on in Rogue One, until the final act, which is quite good despite the rest of the movie. I want to see the Rogue One they made, and ran ads for, that wasn't what was released in theaters.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KronosIII View Post
    I'm still not over people still thinking Episode 1 is the worst star wars. When Attack of the Clones is clearly so much worse. I rather watch the twilight love story than to watch that horrible love story garbage.

Force Awakens is a GREAT movie. But the WORST Star Wars movie. (develops nothing new, and adds nothing of value to the universe)

Attack of the clones is the worst movie. And an average Star Wars movie. (greatly develops the universe)
    I would have loved to see some of the elements from the prequels show up in TFA, OR in R1. Both of these movies suffer from appearing to be set in a tiny universe. Say what you want about CG scenes on Coruscant, they set the table for the grand scope of those movies. It's hard to feel like the galaxy is in danger, when there literally are no more than two dozen faces shown in each of the two Disney Star Wars movies. The Empire, or the Fist Order, has to appear giant in scale, or else the trope doesn't work, imho.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    The Fan Boy is strong with this one.
    The Edge Lord is strong with this one.