Deleted

WoW: The RPG Without Customization

-Removal of Hybrid Talents
    -Removal of Talent Trees
    -Removal of Gems in every piece of gear and Meta gem
    -Removal of Glyphs
    -Removal of Reforging
    -PvP Templates
    -Artifact Weapon (same skills for everyone)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone else feels sad about the fact that "Customization" is frowned upon by Blizzard?
    Imagination, experimentation and testing are pretty much forbidden and replaced by a standard gameplay everyone must play.

The excuse of Blizzard is "there is always a cookie cutter build"
    I agree that in PvE-single target damage there is always a "cookie cutter" build of "stand still and do the most DPS"
    But for PvP and World Content...there are always a million different choices you can take to be optimal. (Utility, Survival, Burst, Hybrid etc)
    I call bullcrap on this excuse and i say they removed customization because is just easier to balance the game from day one.

• Was it really necessary to remove all types of customization from the game just because "there is always a cookie cutter build for single target PvE"?
    • What about coming up with crazy new stuff that, if not optimal, it could be the gameplay you enjoy the most?
    • Isn't "Customization" essential for a good RPG experience?

Anyway, i know we are way past that point and customization is never coming back strong (Netherlight Crucible, just a little taste) I just wanted to know if anyone else feels as sad as me on this topic.
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2017-09-17 at 04:36 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I agree with pretty much everything you say.

I would also add the the homogenization of professions could be added to your list. I miss fully fleshed out profession trees, with profession specific bonuses to reward your effort.

For the sake of the fucking balance, now we are stuck with cosmetic customization, that's all

Yeah, agree with you.

The slow removal of a majority of RPG elements was not a good idea imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone that sees things the way I do. This is one of the many reasons why I no longer play.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    For the sake of the fucking balance, now we are stuck with cosmetic customization, that's all
    We don't even really have this. Look at Wildstar's customization, both character and housing-related, and it's miles and miles ahead of anything we have in WoW.

I love Legion, but I can't fault the OP on these points.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Servasus View Post
    We don't even really have this. Look at Wildstar's customization, both character and housing-related, and it's miles and miles ahead of anything we have in WoW.

Well WoW did dabble into player housing and we saw how that turned out, and you do have character customization to a point.. Funny thing as far as I know no one complained so much about that part till other MMO's started with allowing players major customization of their characters..

As for the talent tree bit, it was a bit meh and to be considered competitive and so on you had to take a certain build be even considered viable in a raid team.. And lets not forget that certain classes were pigeon holed into certain specs if they wanted to raid..
    Last edited by grexly75; 2017-09-17 at 06:00 AM.

I completly agree. That's why I quit FFXIV, it has none of those, therefore its not even an RPG, its apparently closer to an FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    Well WoW did dabble into player housing and we saw how that turned out, and you do have character customization to a point.. Funny thing as far as I know no one complained so much about that part till other MMO's started with allowing players major customization of their characters..

As for the talent tree bit, it was a bit meh and to be considered competitive and so on you had to take a certain build be even considered viable in a raid team.. And lets not forget that certain classes were pigeon holed into certain specs if they wanted to raid..
    I don't really understand what your point is? Are you arguing against better customization? lol.

Well bohoooo.

I can't generalize like that. Some of those changes are positive and others more negative, so I guess my feedback wouldn't be as conveniently streamlined to make a whine thread out of it.

I also think it's annoying when people talk about "excuses". Grow up. They don't need an "excuse". An excuse is something you need when you have to explain to your parents why you didn't do your homework.

Of course things are being streamlined and simplified to make balancing easier. Nobody ever denied that. The thing is that everybody whines about every little crap all the time, so what choice do the devs really have? In fact, every time they do try out something that's even slightly left field, everybody loses their minds. And the "progression" raiding faggots are generally completely paranoid about every single aspect of the game, because they're constantly freaked out of their minds that they could lose their "job" or that their teeammate could make a better display at something.

Ask yourself. Remember the 10000 times you whined on a forum like a dork because someone was able to do 0,001% more damage or had this incredible, life-changing utility that made you feel 2nd class citizen oh so much.

Main gripe with 'player housing' was that it was tied to progression.

Some sort of house you could plant in certain places (whether limited estates or unlimited 'instances' through a portal like with garrisons) that was just about having a place for your glory would be cool.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    [*]What about coming up with crazy new stuff that, if not optimal, it could be the gameplay you enjoy the most?
    [*]Isn't "Customization" essential for a good RPG experience?[/LIST]
    yes!

the game was much more interesting when you had people coming up with new and funky ways to play the game. the early pvp videos were basically filled with interesting and cool mechanics. pvp videos died for a reason. the game is just not interesting in that aspect anymore. the game is no rpg anymore.

I really miss the Glyphs honestly.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really understand what your point is? Are you arguing against better customization? lol.
    I suppose my post is vague, WoW does have customization just not what you get in other MMO's.. Would it be nice to have more of course it would just so long as it was done right and not be detrimental to other parts of the game..

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's one of the reasons i quit wow.

Actually the last expansion i fully played was WOTLK.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaabbc View Post
    Yeah, agree with you.

The slow removal of a majority of RPG elements was not a good idea imo.
    I'm not sure most of you spamming this bullshit have even played actual RPGs outside of Wow.

The problem with your arguement is that around 90% of what you call "customization", really wasn't. It was the "illusion" of customization. Talent trees are pointless if there is only 1 correct way to spec, and everything else is just you being a special snowflake and getting laughed at.

The current talent Tiers option, with 3 talents in each tier is actually WAY more open to viable customization than the old Talent trees ever was.

This applies to pretty much every aspect of Talents, Gems, Glyphs, and Reforging where they impacted major elements of your character. Are you {class x}{spec 2}? Then you spec this way, reforge / gem for these stats, and use these major glyphs. Slight variations may apply depending on specific stat thresholds / set bonuses. There hasn't been any real customization in the game since pretty much the vanilla days.

Quote Originally Posted by Enfilade View Post
    Someone that sees things the way I do. This is one of the many reasons why I no longer play.
    Oh noes you can't purposely gimp yourself for the sake of "customization".

Spare me.

- - - Updated - - -

And yet Wildstar has struggled from release to maintain a consistent playerbase. Customization isn't everything and doesn't replace actual game play.

The glyphs are sorely missed. I had one on my Warlock that made her look partly like a demon with wings and horns that was fantastic for RP.

Quote Originally Posted by lesty View Post
    I completly agree. That's why I quit FFXIV, it has none of those, therefore its not even an RPG, its apparently closer to an FPS.
    I'm not sure any of you calling various mmos and RPGs an FPS have even played a FPS game. These words don't mean what you think they mean.

- - - Updated - - -

He is saying that customization never really truly existed in Wow. This thing all of you pining for never actually happened. It isn't an argument against anything but simply a statement of fact and it is a fact that unless people actually bother to acknowledge they are never going to convince Blizzard devs to allow the kind of customization they want.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalerender View Post
    Main gripe with 'player housing' was that it was tied to progression.

Some sort of house you could plant in certain places (whether limited estates or unlimited 'instances' through a portal like with garrisons) that was just about having a place for your glory would be cool.
    Sorry I have no sympathy for people who whine for "customization" then throw a hissy fit when it involves actually playing the game. It really seems like many of you just want to play the Sims. So go play that instead of trying to turn this game into the Sims.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zupf View Post
    yes!

the game was much more interesting when you had people coming up with new and funky ways to play the game. the early pvp videos were basically filled with interesting and cool mechanics. pvp videos died for a reason. the game is just not interesting in that aspect anymore. the game is no rpg anymore.
    Again customization is hardly a key component of what makes a game an RPG. I really have to wonder if you people have ever actually played ANY game other than wow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coldrefreader View Post
    I really miss the Glyphs honestly.
    Current glyphs are true customization. The previous incarnations of glyphs were not customization they were simply either the best choice or something that gimps you. Most people would call that bad game design.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    That's one of the reasons i quit wow.

Actually the last expansion i fully played was WOTLK.
    And that is why most of the incessant whining on these forums is completely irrelevant and useless. Many of you haven't played the game in years and yet think you can actually criticize it in any sort of meaningful way.