Thread: New rig time!

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New rig time!

So I've had my rig for just over 6 years, parts picked myself as a first build then you lovely people on here posted a few different alternatives which I went with and was happy with how it run.

I think it's now coming towards the end of its life, I get random crash's especially when photo shopping with multiple layers. Sometimes when gaming It'll crash / freeze everything but the sound works at normal speed and so does discord.

I was going to replace a few parts but decided to hell with it and start afresh, so this is what I'm looking at - just collecting general thoughts, if something is to little or to much.

I'll be mainly using the system for Graphic designs, research (aka 30 odd tabs of articles open online), gaming - wow, OW, then some Single player like skyrim. Oh I'll also be getting the Ocu Rift with it in a few months time so VR ready as well

Case: PCS Enigma 6003B
    Processor: I7 Quad core - I7-7700 (3.6ghz) 8mb
    Mobo: Gigabyte AORUS Z270X-Gaming 7
    Ram: 4GB Corsair Veng *******
    Graphic card: 8GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080
    Disk: 120gb Kingston SSD
    M.2. SSD: 250GB Western Digital Blue
    Intel Optane: 32GB Intel Optane Memory (might change this to 16?)
    Disk Drive: 16x blue ray writer drive
    Internal memory card readers
    PSU: Corsair 350W VS Series *******
    Cooler : Coolmaster Hyper 212X
    Sound: Asus STRIX Soar 7.1 PCIe Card

The ones I've put stars next to are parts I'm getting separate from someone else, I'll be looking at Corsair 2x8gb DDR4 and a 650 or 750 corsair PSU

So general thoughts? I've decided to spend a bit extra this time around to hopefully get a bit more mileage out of it.

Cheers

Rotted

I have no idea how you guys build something like this.

- Processor: you have a non-K processor in a Z-series chipset motherboard. It's a waste of money.
    - Processor: buying Intel 7th gen right now is a waste of money in general. Wait for 5th of October.
    - Motherboard: dont buy Gigabyte unless it's a lot cheaper than anything else.
    - RAM: you need 16GB, 2 modules.
    - Graphics card: what kind of a GTX 1080?
    - SSD: why 2 SSDs, and why is one of them so small? Dont buy Kingston unless you cannot afford anything else.
    - Optane: you dont need it of you have an SSD.
    - Optical: no idea why you need that. Explain please?
    - PSU: good 550W Bronze unit is recommended for that kind of hardware.
    - Cooler: fine if you stick with non-K SKU (dont get Z-series motherboard in this case), inadequate if you get a K series.
    - Case: no idea what this is. Looks like a cheap $30 case, I hope you're not paying more for it.
    - Sound card: you dont need that, every single modern highend motherboard has a comparable audiosystem.

General thoughts: what is your current rig configuration? Looks like cleaning it/changing the thermal compound will fix all of your problems. You most likely dont need a GTX 1080 for your needs, just get a GTX 1070. Unless you have a monitor with a higher resolution than 1080p. Stuff that you put there looks like a total mess, honestly.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    So I've had my rig for just over 6 years, parts picked myself as a first build then you lovely people on here posted a few different alternatives which I went with and was happy with how it run.

I think it's now coming towards the end of its life, I get random crash's especially when photo shopping with multiple layers. Sometimes when gaming It'll crash / freeze everything but the sound works at normal speed and so does discord.

I was going to replace a few parts but decided to hell with it and start afresh, so this is what I'm looking at - just collecting general thoughts, if something is to little or to much.

I'll be mainly using the system for Graphic designs, research (aka 30 odd tabs of articles open online), gaming - wow, OW, then some Single player like skyrim. Oh I'll also be getting the Ocu Rift with it in a few months time so VR ready as well
    As has been mentioned, you want the "K" version of this chip (if that wasn't just an oversight). Overclocking is basically free performance, so why not.

You don't mention the screen resolution. If it's 2560x1440 or lower, you can save more than a few bucks and get a 1070, you don't need the 1080 unless you want to run significantly higher resolutions. With the (relatively limited) resolution on VR and refresh rates capped at 90 on the Rift, the 1070 is more than sufficient.

If your needs exceed what it can deliver, I would just go straight to the 1080ti.

Nvidia may be about to introduce a 1070ti, so it might not hurt to wait a bit and see what if anything is announced.

Is the Blue an nvme or SATA M.2 drive? Personally, I'd just get a Samsung or maybe a Sandisk Ultra 2 - 512 gig Sata. If you are on a budget, the NVMe drives aren't usually a good buy.

For photoshop I'd lean towards more ram rather than an expensive NVMe drive, but I don't know how large the graphics you work with are.

Optane is basically useless. The main "selling" point of this kind of capacity drive, is for use as an SSD cache for a conventional HDD and even that is a pretty marginal use case. Since you're running primarily SSDs, even that doesn't apply.

350 watt is definitely underpowered for this system I'd look at something more like a 500w, the 1080 is pretty power efficient (about 200w under load) and the CPU isn't a power hog, but if either is overclocked, you may well have issues. You can probably manage, but I'd just spend the extra money.

Always a good choice on a budget.

Unless you have some surround sound set up or exotic headphones, I don't think I'd bother with a sound card, in almost all cases, the motherboard sound output is more than sufficient.
    Last edited by Akainakali; 2017-09-14 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post

- Processor: you have a non-K processor in a Z-series chipset motherboard. It's a waste of money.
    - Processor: buying Intel 7th gen right now is a waste of money in general. Wait for 5th of October.
    - SSD: why 2 SSDs, and why is one of them so small? Dont buy Kingston unless you cannot afford anything else.
    - Cooler: fine if you stick with non-K SKU (dont get Z-series motherboard in this case), inadequate if you get a K series.
    - Case: no idea what this is. Looks like a cheap $30 case, I hope you're not paying more for it.
    - Sound card: you dont need that, every single modern highend motherboard has a comparable audiosystem.

General thoughts: what is your current rig configuration? Looks like cleaning it/changing the thermal compound will fix all of your problems. You most likely dont need a GTX 1080 for your needs, just get a GTX 1070. Unless you have a monitor with a higher resolution than 1080p. Stuff that you put there looks like a total mess, honestly.
    And here we go again. You really need to get over your Gigabyte hate. The Gaming 7 board is one of the best Z270 boards out there. Just look at reviews.

If people want to buy Gigabyte boards, then let them. Just because you don't like Gigabyte, doesn't make them bad
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    And here we go again. You really need to get over your Gigabyte hate. The Gaming 7 board is one of the best Z270 boards out there. Just look at reviews.

If people want to buy Gigabyte boards, then let them. Just because you don't like Gigabyte, doesn't make them bad
    You dont buy a Z series with a shitty VRM. Period. Other features are nice, but there is no point.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

You dont buy a Z series with a shitty VRM. Period. Other features are nice, but there is no point.
    They don'r have shitty VRMs. Only you think they have. I can't find any review saying they have bad VRMs.

I get it, you don't like Gigabyte, but that still doesn't make them bad. If the Z270 Gaming 7 boards is so bad, who come is OCs to 5.0GHz with no problems at all and with low voltage use. That would pretty hard without good VRMs. Bad VRMs = more voltage use and hot VRMs
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

They don'r have shitty VRMs. Only you think they have. I can't find any review saying they have bad VRMs.

I get it, you don't like Gigabyte, but that still doesn't make them bad. If the Z270 Gaming 7 boards is so bad, who come is OCs to 5.0GHz with no problems at all and with low voltage use. That would pretty hard without good VRMs. Bad VRMs = more voltage use and hot VRMs
    Ok I'm gonna use as much argumentation here as I can.

- Let's start of that Gaming 7 is a $200 motherboard, so we're not gonna compare it to the budget motherboards (it was $240 on launch). So when I'm saying that it's bad, I'm saying it's bad compared to what you can buy for the same money.
    - VRM: 2x4 phase Vcore, 1 phase memory. Very basic mosfets (from Vishay) and Intersil voltage controller. Completely adequate, but nothing that would say that it's a $200 board. No complaints about the Vcore phase core (most of the competition uses 2x4 phase Vcore in that price bracket), one phase memory is adequate but is a limiting factor. I'd expect more from a $200 board. Component quality could be better aswell.
    - BIOS is horrible. But let's be honest here, ASUS is far ahead in terms of UEFI usability, followed by ASRock (when they include all the needed functionality). MSI and Gigabyte need to work on the UEFI layouts, and in the case of Gigabyte - add some actual options. What's funny as there is a lot more options in a Z270X-UD5 BIOS (same price, same VRM, but not marketed for gamers).

In the end, I dont really know how you can justify this board if you can buy a Maximum IX Hero instead. That is of course if you're overclocking. If you're not there is MSI Z270 Gaming M7.

15+ Year Old Account

In the end, I dont really know how you can justify this board if you can buy a Maximum IX Hero instead. That is of course if you're overclocking. If you're not there is MSI Z270 Gaming M7.
    Except maybe some people prefer Gigabyte over MSI/Asus.

Your problem is you act like your suggestion is the all end all. Your preferences are not everyone elses. All you do is brow beat everyones suggestions.

Try being less arrogant and argumentative an maybe someone will take you seriously.

The gaming 7 is a decent board, I do agree its a little overpriced, but I cant find a bad review from anyone that has a good rep. The only person giving it a bad rep is ... well you, and we all know how you feel about Gigabyte MB's.

The best thing for the OP with his needs are wait for Coffeelake or get a Ryzen 7 1700 and OC it. Maybe suggest what is a good idea and why instead of tearing his system down that he obviously took alot of time researching.

Your approach is terrible. I'm sure you have heard this before, or maybe in RL your not so arrogant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whether or not you need a sound card is arguable as they're still beneficial, but it's up to personal preference nowadays since EAX died off due to Vista and many integrated chipsets are worth it as long as they're not from Realtek, especially if you're playing Skyrim due to the issue it has with it. That was a really long sentence.

Wait a few weeks for Coffee Lake and look for multiple unbiased benchmarks without a GPU bottleneck occurring in every game you can find from multiple sources, do not be fooled by early 'leaks', cherry picked benchmarks, or random benchmarks on random YouTube channels.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

The ones I've put stars next to are parts I'm getting separate from someone else, I'll be looking at Corsair 2x8gb DDR4 and a 650 or 750 corsair PSU

So general thoughts? I've decided to spend a bit extra this time around to hopefully get a bit more mileage out of it.

Cheers

Rotted
    You don't need a soundcard. The Gigabyte AORUS Z270X-Gaming 7 comes with Creative® Sound Core3D™ with SBX Pro Studio Audio Suite, wich is the same as a SoundBlaster Z and it has build in AMP, wich you can upgrade if you ever need a bigger AMP

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post

Your problem is you act like your suggestion is the all end all. Your preferences are not everyone elses. All you do is brow beat everyones suggestions.

Try being less arrogant and argumentative an maybe someone will take you seriously.

The gaming 7 is a decent board, I do agree its a little overpriced, but I cant find a bad review from anyone that has a good rep. The only person giving it a bad rep is ... well you, and we all know how you feel about Gigabyte MB's.

The best thing for the OP with his needs are wait for Coffeelake or get a Ryzen 7 1700 and OC it. Maybe suggest what is a good idea and why instead of tearing his system down that he obviously took alot of time researching.

Your approach is terrible. I'm sure you have heard this before, or maybe in RL your not so arrogant.
    I have given up on him. He's hate to Gigabyte MBs is just to big to get him to see clear

Cheers

Rotted
    Only 4gb of ram?! Paired with a GTX 1080?! Your machine would have twice as much Vram than Ram!! ha ha.

Get 16gb of ram, buddy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't buy a 7th generation Intel right now. Cofee Lakes are coming soon, and by soon I mean in around a month, and they're the first to break the 4-core "limit" Intel imposed on themselves for their desktop processors. Wait around a month or two and grab a 6-core i5 or i7, they should go around 300€ and 420€ respectively. They NEED a new mobo, so don't buy one now.
    Honestly, I see no reason to upgrade right now if you want an Intel-based build. You can have a new CPU with 2 extra cores in around 6 weeks.

Edit: also, yeah, get more RAM. 8GBs are the very minimum right now, but go for 16.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

That's not an objective thing and it's impossible to give advice to someone with a brand preference. It's a like arguing Apple vs Android.

My suggestions are my argumented personal opinions. If you dont like my opinion (for whatever reason, for example if you're a fanboy) you dont have to listen to me. But if you have to argue please provide arguments. Sorry, but "reviews are positive" is not a valid argument when said reviews themselves point at the same things as I do. Sure, for some people my angle of looking at expensive overclocking boards might not be suitable and they want flashy features instead of solid board design and component quality. That's fine by me, but calling me arrogant because of it is ridiculous.

Just say that you're a fanboy, and be done with it. Nothing wrong about being a fanboy, just shows me that it's pointless to try to come up with arguments. I dont feel anything about Gigabyte boards, their boards are just subpar to the competition in the areas that are most important for me, at this time, that's all.

I have given up on him. He's hate to Gigabyte MBs is just to big to get him to see clear
    I'm not saying he is right or that Gigabyte boards are bad, but the company does seem to have some problems as you can see here let's just hope they can turn things around as we don't want to lose competition.

15+ Year Old Account

Just say that you're a fanboy, and be done with it. Nothing wrong about being a fanboy, just shows me that it's pointless to try to come up with arguments. I dont feel anything about Gigabyte boards, their boards are just subpar to the competition in the areas that are most important for me, at this time, that's all.
    This thread wasn't about me...again, just like all the threads you post in you don't get what is being said.

Go look at my builds in the build thread and my signature. Gigabyte isn't my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    I'm not saying he is right or that Gigabyte boards are bad, but the company does seem to have some problems as you can see here let's just hope they can turn things around as we don't want to lose competition.
    I agree, they have some issues. I think they all do, which is why I own them all. The only boards I stay away from are Asrock. However like all tech sites, in the same posts they have a link to "Best Gaming Motherboards" and Gigabyte is in there.

This thread wasn't about me...again, just like all the threads you post in you don't get what is being said.

Go look at my builds in the build thread and my signature. Gigabyte isn't my favorite.
    Why are you so ferociously denying the obvious then? Again, nothing wrong with having a brand preference, but advicing other people based on YOUR brand preference is messed up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why are you so ferociously denying the obvious then? Again, nothing wrong with having a brand preference, but advicing other people based on YOUR brand preference is messed up.
    Try again. Your bordering on trolling.

Where in all he's post, does he say that he's brand is Gigabyte???? please show me where or stop trolling

Hi everyone,

Sorry I've not replied yet, just been super busy and wanted to make sure I had a proper reply;

I'll just make bullets, don't think I'm being blunt -

- I came up with the build from options on PCSpecialist, I'm perfectly fine building a computer I just don't have a clue what the best options are. Generally with this one I just kept to the more up to date options on the list, for example I7 instead if I5, mobo 7 instead of the 5 etc.

- If that's the case with the Processor, I'll move it down to the I5 Z chips? I'd wait like you say but I'm guessing if its going to be a brand new release it'll have a high price tag on it

- It is a Nivida Geforce GTX 1080 - I was originally looking at the 1050 believe it or not, maybe the 1060 a few places said they are fine for VR, then I've seen a fair few people on forums posting if you want VR the 1080 is the only way

- Usually run with 1 SSD and 1+ HDD, however when I saw this M.2 option; I read up a little bit and it said it was catered towards gamers (same with the optane) and for the price I said may as well (since I'm VAT registered, it's not that much of a difference to have it or not)

- optical as in the disk drive? It's just a standard blue ray re writer, it doesn't give a make or model

- Cooler I can upgrade easy enough, only interest here is avoiding water cooled.

- Case - this is the default cheap one they give with it, I'm still in two minds about upgrading to a different case or transferring it into my old case. My old case is a GT thermaltake GT level 10 snow edition. While I love it it's far to big. Additionally, the HDD bays have their own input in the case - into the wires - then into the mobo instead of directly from the HD to mobo. They are quite flimsy and I think this is one thing thats causing issues. I'd love to go with a MSI case but that's not a option on this site.

In general, my rig is clean, software and physically. The graphic card is a SAPPHIRE AMD RADEON HD 7870 XT OC 2GB GDDR5, Asus Roc mobo pro 4 or 5, 4, 4gb ram Corsair vengeance I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Akainakali View Post

You don't mention the screen resolution. If it's 2560x1440 or lower, you can save more than a few bucks and get a 1070, you don't need the 1080 unless you want to run significantly higher resolutions. With the (relatively limited) resolution on VR and refresh rates capped at 90 on the Rift, the 1070 is more than sufficient.

If your needs exceed what it can deliver, I would just go straight to the 1080ti.

Is the Blue an nvme or SATA M.2 drive? Personally, I'd just get a Samsung or maybe a Sandisk Ultra 2 - 512 gig Sata. If you are on a budget, the NVMe drives aren't usually a good buy.

For photoshop I'd lean towards more ram rather than an expensive NVMe drive, but I don't know how large the graphics you work with are.

Optane is basically useless. The main "selling" point of this kind of capacity drive, is for use as an SSD cache for a conventional HDD and even that is a pretty marginal use case. Since you're running primarily SSDs, even that doesn't apply.

350 watt is definitely underpowered for this system I'd look at something more like a 500w, the 1080 is pretty power efficient (about 200w under load) and the CPU isn't a power hog, but if either is overclocked, you may well have issues. You can probably manage, but I'd just spend the extra money.

Always a good choice on a budget.

Unless you have some surround sound set up or exotic headphones, I don't think I'd bother with a sound card, in almost all cases, the motherboard sound output is more than sufficient.
    The screen I'm currently running is a HD Wide screen Acer - these are the numbers that came in with it (16:9, 1920 x 1080, 6 ms). I'm planning on two new monitors but not until next Sept.

The bolded part I have no idea, like I said to the above guy the cost between having it or not having it is negligible, so I thought I'd throw it in.

As I mentioned, going to run a 650 or 750 PSU, just its one of the only parts thats cheaper to buy else where and have the default one sent with it. But I've never overclocked a system so not overly worried about that.

Not going to run with optane now based on what every one has said.

As for the sound card, I'll probably drop that. It was just a last minute addition because it was there. I am planning on buying a logitech 7.1 system (again in sept) and / or a sound bar.

Snip - Mobo talk
    Snip - Mobo talk
    This is by far way over my head. The mobo choice from the list was the most expensive and in my budget and that's the only justification I can give - as well as I know the brand. The mobo isn't set in stone I can't complain to much about this asus roc pro series so might end up with the latest in that

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    Whether or not you need a sound card is arguable as they're still beneficial, but it's up to personal preference nowadays since EAX died off due to Vista and many integrated chipsets are worth it as long as they're not from Realtek, especially if you're playing Skyrim due to the issue it has with it. That was a really long sentence.
    Well based on what everyone else has said, I think I'll just remove that part completely. I have to be honest the only time I even pay attention to sound is movies or music, all my MMOs I play in silence or music in background. I play my Single players with sound.

You don't need a soundcard. The Gigabyte AORUS Z270X-Gaming 7 comes with Creative® Sound Core3D™ with SBX Pro Studio Audio Suite, wich is the same as a SoundBlaster Z and it has build in AMP, wich you can upgrade if you ever need a bigger AMP
    Well, that put me back on to getting the gaming 7 then.

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    Only 4gb of ram?! Paired with a GTX 1080?! Your machine would have twice as much Vram than Ram!! ha ha.

Get 16gb of ram, buddy.
    As I mentioned in my original post, the parts with the stars next to them are being bought separate, I'm getting 16gb (2x8), just not as the default option as it works out cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by arel00 View Post
    Don't buy a 7th generation Intel right now. Cofee Lakes are coming soon, and by soon I mean in around a month, and they're the first to break the 4-core "limit" Intel imposed on themselves for their desktop processors. Wait around a month or two and grab a 6-core i5 or i7, they should go around 300€ and 420€ respectively. They NEED a new mobo, so don't buy one now.
    Honestly, I see no reason to upgrade right now if you want an Intel-based build. You can have a new CPU with 2 extra cores in around 6 weeks.

Edit: also, yeah, get more RAM. 8GBs are the very minimum right now, but go for 16.
    I can wait it out, but I'm curious once the 6 cores come out, the new Mobos they need - are they going to be equivalent to whats on the market now? will they launch around the same time? Or is it going to be a basic one that launches then two months down the line a superior one, rinse and repeat etc

So outside of the mobo talks, I think I've replied to everyone now, so the upgraded build looking at (For the sake of the argument I've added the RAM and PSU);

Case: Coolmaster K350 Gaming Case
    Proc: I5 -7600k 3.8hhz 6mb
    Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus Z270X-Gaming 7
    Ram: 16gb Corsair Veng (Assuming 2133 MHZ is sufficient)
    Card: 8gb Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070
    Hard disk 1: 250GB Samsung Evo
    Hard Disk 2: 1TB WD Black
    PSU: Corsair 650W VS series
    Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212X if sufficient

Is this now a better match up?

10+ Year Old Account
    Buying an I5 7600K or even an I7 7700K is just plain dumb right now. Neither will be compatible with the new Intel chipsets launching shortly, the 200 series chipset is basically dead (i.e no upgrade paths available) a month from now.

Either buy a Ryzen 5 or 7, or wait a few weeks for coffee lake chips to arrive.