Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Does WoW need to return to swords and sorcery?

Does WoW need to return to a simpler time of swords and sorcery? We are increasingly rushing headlong in to greater threats and associating with beings of such great power such as the titans that I fear we are losing sight on the simplicity and enjoyment of the swords and sorcery aspect we were introduced to.

I understand the story needs to progress, but I am worried by the current expedited increase of the threats we face and our own grandeur and how we are becoming a galactic universal force of power.

Does anyone else feel we need to come back down to earth and confront threats out of our reach but feasibly able to defeat.

No reason for why they can't co-exist, which they do.

I'd like to see less of the silly Legion spaceship armada, but other than that I think it's fine.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

10+ Year Old Account
    At the end of the day, my rogue still shanks bitches in the back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the biggest issue for me was in WoD with all the hardcore industrialisation, the advanced military, machines, trains, bombs and guns! Now with Legion and the fel cannons and fel ships. It's leaving behind the adventurer and turning us into the terminator.

Quote Originally Posted by Benomatic View Post
    I think the biggest issue for me was in WoD with all the hardcore industrialisation, the advanced military, machines, trains, bombs and guns! Now with Legion and the fel cannons and fel ships. It's leaving behind the adventurer and turning us into the terminator.
    Only now? Mate, what you describe now was one of the biggest reasons for bitching during TBC

No, we're still adventurers, still heroes. We still partake in menial tasks along with the larger ones.

However, WoW always had steampunk-esque elements with bombs and machinery. It was never the case that WoW was just basic swords and magic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    No, we're still adventurers, still heroes. We still partake in menial tasks along with the larger ones.

However, WoW always had steampunk-esque elements with bombs and machinery. It was never the case that WoW was just basic swords and magic.
    The steampunk didn't bother me. WoD did with the massive influx of heavy industry was too much.

They could do less with all the sci-fi stuff, thats for sure. Its starting to feel like a Starcraft MMO with Diablo 3 elements... with the Warcraft IP to cash in the most.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    Only now? Mate, what you describe now was one of the biggest reasons for bitching during TBC
    In TBC it didn't phase me, it was a collective enemy of multiple races and mismatched tech brought to together. Legion has just really blown it out of proportion. Hell back in classic Dun Garok was amazing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    They could do less with all the sci-fi stuff, thats for sure. Its starting to feel like a Starcraft MMO with Diablo 3 elements... with the Warcraft IP to cash in the most.
    That's how I am feeling. I personally preferred the innocence of what WoW was.

Deleted
    We are still defeating out threats with swords and sorcery so i don't see the problem.

In TBC it didn't phase me, it was a collective enemy of multiple races and mismatched tech brought to together. Legion has just really blown it out of proportion. Hell back in classic Dun Garok was amazing.
    Well, it didn't phase you, but in general quite a lot of people were complaining about space goats, space ships and other space stuff. They were saying exactly the same stuff you're saying now:

I personally preferred the innocence of what WoW was.
    To sum it up, this innocence was over in TBC.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Don't relate, still feels very Warcraft considering we're not exactly defeating Starcraft or Diablo threats.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    Well, it didn't phase you, but in general quite a lot of people were complaining about space goats, space ships and other space stuff. They were saying exactly the same stuff you're saying now:
    Exactly.

I have to wonder, were these people entirely oblivious to the fact that even in Classic, the threats weren't exactly local bands of bandits beyond the leveling experience? Elemental lords, Dragons, Liches, Scourge...

We're not fighting anything now that we haven't been fighting throughout the story of this game. And we still deal with local threats, such as Suramar where we aided the Nightfallen, or pushing back the Nightmare, or dealing with Thunder Totem's Drogbar issues.

It would've been weird if we'd attempted to strike at Argus using a Horde Zeppelin...

WoW is that and more, why change that? The concept of space and visiting other planets has existed since WC2.

Deleted
    Keep in mind that dwarves, gnomes and goblins have always ensured that WoW wasn't a true fantasy game, with tanks, helicopters and whatnot, and TBC did away with fantasy in its entirety with its crystal spaceships and so on.

But, would I like to see a return to Vanilla/Wrath settings, themes, and opponents? Absolutely.

I was more invested in Arthas as a villain, in part due to him being the main charcater of the RTS' and in part because he wasn't the size of a watchtower, and not the commander of an intergalactic armada belonging to a galaxy, and realityspanning army of demons hell bent on destroying Azeroth so the minions of unfathomable cosmic monstrosities don't corrupt the titan world soul within the planet we call home.

He was just a powerful death knight, necromancer, and king of liches.

But he nearly brought Azeroth to heel.
    Last edited by mmocb78b2e29a3; 2017-09-17 at 04:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally see WoW hitting an industrial age, where there is a whole lot of technology... but the level of skill with less technological weaponry, and the existence of magic, makes everyone on an even playing field, even with technology.

I will remind you that the deeprun tram, the horde zepplins, the dwarven tanks, guns, all of gnomeregan, the engineering profession, Goblins and Gnomes, and the thousand needles raceway, were all in Vanilla.
    Over the years, we've added: magical crystal spaceships via the Draenei and Naaru, Paddleboats, airships flying like out of the avengers (BEFORE the Avengers), industrialized Orgrimmar, submarines, sentient giant robots and tanks built by the titans... all before Pandaria. What did WoD add? a steam train is actually a step down from the deeprun tram, a bomb on wheels (big deal, we got exploding robot sheep!), and an even bigger tank.
    Legion borught us: Fel powered ships, larger fel robots, and a new draenei magic crystal ship.

I think the last time WoW was swords and sorcery was actually before Warcraft 3, 'cause even that had dwarven mortar teams.
    A simple change that can improve the female worgen:
    http://tinypic.com/r/1zq7p0g/7

That is not because of the tech, it's because of the character ass licking "Oh, commander/champion/leader, you are so legendary and our only last hope!"

No. I see no need for any game to go back to the most stale and stereotypical thing possible.

Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    That is not because of the tech, it's because of the character ass licking "Oh, commander/champion/leader, you are so legendary and our only last hope!"
    They could scale back on that part, for sure.

We can be Heroes without being "THE hero", leave that to the main lore characters. We could have had Order Halls without being the Order Leader, it wouldn't have taken anything away.

Does WoW need to return to a simpler time of swords and sorcery? We are increasingly rushing headlong in to greater threats and associating with beings of such great power such as the titans that I fear we are losing sight on the simplicity and enjoyment of the swords and sorcery aspect we were introduced to.

I understand the story needs to progress, but I am worried by the current expedited increase of the threats we face and our own grandeur and how we are becoming a galactic universal force of power.

Does anyone else feel we need to come back down to earth and confront threats out of our reach but feasibly able to defeat.
    The game already has swords and sorcery but it has more than that which i think is great.