Poll: Is this a good idea?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Mnuchin: Trump will 'demand' increase in military spending

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/35...itary-spending

President Trump will “demand” an increase in military spending when he and Congress negotiate an end-of-year budget deal, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said Tuesday.

Mnuchin said at a conference that Trump agreed to a three-month deal on the budget and debt limit last week because the alternative was a one-year deal, which would have hindered military spending.

“We could have done a one-year deal on the debt ceiling," Mnuchin said at the Delivering Alpha Conference presented by CNBC and Institutional Investor.

"Had we done that, it would have been linked to one year of additional funding for the government. But the president wants to raise military spending," Mnuchin continued. "The president wants to increase military spending, and that's something he's going to demand for December."

Last week, Congress passed and Trump signed a package that provides aid for Hurricane Harvey relief, raises the debt ceiling and funds the government through December with a continuing resolution.

Trump agreed to the deal with Democratic leaders, shocking Republicans.

Defense hawks revolted against the bargain, with lawmakers including Senate Armed Services Committee Chairmen John McCain (R-Ariz.) and his House counterpart, Mac Thornberry (R-Texas), voting against it despite the Harvey aid.

They argued a continuing resolution is detrimental to the military at a time when North Korea has claimed it has successfully tested a hydrogen bomb and ship collisions in peaceful areas have killed more troops than the war in Afghanistan this year.

During the presidential campaign, Trump repeatedly promised to bulk up military spending.

His proposed budget, though, fell short of defense hawks’ hopes. The Trump administration requested $603 billion for the base defense budget and $65 billion for a war fund known as the Overseas Contingency Operations (OCO) account.

By contrast, the House-passed defense policy bill would authorize $621.5 billion in the base defense budget and $75 billion in OCO. The defense policy bill currently being considered by the Senate, meanwhile, would authorize $640 billion for the base defense budget and $60 billion for OCO.

Both the bills and the administration’s request are above budget caps, which would need to be changed by a budget deal.
    What foolishness.

I am not cool with my tax dollars going towards this and neither should anyone else. We need to cut military spending and focus on universal healthcare. It is absolute travesty that this guy wants to spend even more on the armed forces. 600 billion + isn't enough?

Deleted
    Your tax dollars? You live in Canada, don't you?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post

What foolishness.

I am not cool with my tax dollars going towards this and neither should anyone else. We need to cut military spending and focus on universal healthcare. It is absolute travesty that this guy wants to spend even more on the armed forces. 600 billion + isn't enough?

Deleted

What foolishness.

You don't pay US TAX

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    We need to cut military spending and focus on universal healthcare.
    what good is that when your country gets conquered
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post
    Who is gonna conquer? No country has such a military.

10+ Year Old Account

What foolishness.

You're Canadian. You don't pay US taxes. Shove off.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I honestly can't take Mnuchin seriously and it is 100% because of his gold digging wife and and attempted misuse of military aircraft for his honeymoon.

But mostly due to his wife. Hope he got a prenup.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post

I think we're pretty safe in that respect but we are the world police so there's that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I honestly can't take Mnuchin seriously and it is 100% because of his gold digging wife and and attempted misuse of military aircraft for his honeymoon.

I looked her up and wikipedia says she's an actress. Aren't actresses kinda rich to begin with?

- - - Updated - - -

I looked her up and wikipedia says she's an actress. Aren't actresses kinda rich to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I doubt she was 300 million dollars rich

Deleted
    It's funny the biggest threat to any country of the world is the one who is scared most to be conquered?

Yeah his Gold Digging wife needs a new aircraft carrier for her Mediterranean cruise.

I'm sure @Skroe will champion this, but a waste of money and government welfare. The only increase should be cyber security and cyber counter-terrorism.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Your tax dollars? You live in Canada, don't you?

- - - Updated - - -
    I've visited the U.S. many times plus I purchase American products. So yes, I do pay taxes actually.

Deleted
    I've visited the U.S. many times plus I purchase American products. So yes, I do pay taxes actually.
    Boycott the U.S. then?

10+ Year Old Account
    The DOD spends 600 BILLION dollars a year.

We can easily cut the DOD and continue to have the world's most powerful military.
    Putin khuliyo

Yeah, Skroe's gonna be here any minute with a 20k word post about this, but being a country with no adjacent enemies (though Trump's trying to change that), having military bases everywhere, and more spending than the next 13 countries combined, I'm pretty sure we can throttle back the personnel and hardware without becoming appreciably less 'safe'. We aren't in danger of the kind of attack a ginormous military would prevent. I wouldn't mind more money going to The Cyber at the same time, though, for reasons that are obvious to anyone but a Trumpist.

She's done very small part roles in films where at least one director claimed that her PREVIOUS husband paid $200k for her to have the role. http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...or-claims.html

She's definitely a gold digger. I don't throw that word around lightly.

With all this spending, we'll be safe when the aliens invade! The US will tank their armada while the russian hackers devise a virus to take them out for good.

I think we need to spend any money we can spare on infrastructure and energy development

7+ Year Old Account
    She's done very small part roles in films where at least one director claimed that her PREVIOUS husband paid $200k for her to have the role. http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...or-claims.html

She's definitely a gold digger. I don't throw that word around lightly.
    Yeah that happens occasionally, sometimes directors want to increase their budget instead of paying for an established actor.

You also went off on other rich attractive ladies like Marissa Mayer, maybe you're a bit catty?