FHD 1080 60hz vs the QHD 1440p 120hz on laptop

Hello,

I recently just purchased an alienware 17 r4 with the i7 kabylake 7700hq, GTX 1070, 256GB SSD, and standard FHD 1080p display. I am now wondering If I should have just coughed up the extra $250 for the QHD 1440p display. I hear its a huge difference in visuals and the 1070 can keep the fps above 60. Any thoughts? I know some of you are going to bash me for getting an alienware but I've never owned one before and I finally have the money for it so I figured why not. I wont be playing a lot of triple A titles except maybe BF1 or something but I mostly enjoy open world sand box games or MMOs.

Games i like to play are: WoW, ESO, ARK, ARMA III, Skyrim: remastered, Black Desert Online, Kingdom Come: Deliverance
    Last edited by bamf775; 2017-09-18 at 04:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bamf775 View Post
    Hello,

I recently just purchased an alienware 17 r4 with the i7 kabylake 7700hq, GTX 1070, 256GB SSD, and standard FHD 1080p display. I am now wondering If I should have just coughed up the extra $250 for the QHD 1440p display. I hear its a huge difference in visuals and the 1070 can keep the fps above 60. Any thoughts? I know some of you are going to bash me for getting an alienware but I've never owned one before and I finally have the money for it so I figured why not. I wont be playing a lot of triple A titles except maybe BF1 or something but I mostly enjoy open world sand box games or MMOs.

Games i like to play are: WoW, ESO, ARK, ARMA III, Skyrim: remastered, Black Desert Online, Kingdom Come: Deliverance
    i say ur bettter off with the 1080p screen...so it lasts a lot longer on max.

when i checked 1440p benchmarks gtx 1070 wont run every game with over 60 but maybe since you have a smaller screen it should adjust.

thanks for your suggestion. The other thing too is that if i get the QHD 1440p I have to get a TN panel where as the FHD it is IPS. Thats not a huge deal for me but its something to consider i guess.

Hello,

ive been running a dell 3440 x 1440 screen for about 2 years and im still using a 980ti which is pretty close to the 1070. I wouldnt go to max settings on every game out there but the gaming experience is a BIG step up from 1080p. WoW looks so much better on a wide screen, so if you can afford it i recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    ive been running a dell 3440 x 1440 screen for about 2 years and im still using a 980ti which is pretty close to the 1070. I wouldnt go to max settings on every game out there but the gaming experience is a BIG step up from 1080p. WoW looks so much better on a wide screen, so if you can afford it i recommend it.
    thanks, i think i will call or chat with Dell tomorrow to see if I can send it back to upgrade the display. Do you know if Dell would be able to do that for me? I just purchased it like a week ago and Its actually going to be delivered soon.

thanks, i think i will call or chat with Dell tomorrow to see if I can send it back to upgrade the display. Do you know if Dell would be able to do that for me? I just purchased it like a week ago and Its actually going to be delivered soon.
    i would think that you will probably have to pay for shipping and possibly a restock fee but that shouldn't be much....*crosses fingers*

So, I spoke with someone from Dell, they will let me return it with no restocking fee and no shipping costs since its still within the 30 day window. I'd hate to have to wait another 2 weeks or so to get the laptop but everywhere I search people say the 1440p is well worth it if you have a gtx 1070 or 1080. I might as well suck it up and cough up the extra $250 and wait a little longer for a better gaming experience. Thanks for the help.