Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I said it in the last thread and I'll repeat it here....What we have is someone who got angry that a student wouldn't pledge allegiance to a piece of cloth made in China. How absolutely terrible for that teacher to be triggered by such things.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Was it a teacher or a "teacher consultant" as the student states early in the story?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    Huh. I dunno, Maybe I was raised different, but I respect the country I was born and raised in.
    You can respect it and not follow some arbitrary ritual that means nothing. I'd like to think my volunteer time was more valuable to society than reciting a pledge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    I hate posting on my tablet, randomly cuts out paragraphs.

Anyways being respectful of your country is great but I don't think not pledging allegiance is disrespectful. Dodging taxes and committing crime is disrespecting your country.
    I've helped educate at risk youth and delivered meals to the elderly. I've helped educate on animals and rescue them. Clearly me not giving a damn about the pledge makes me some disrespectful anti American punk though

7+ Year Old Account
    "Assaulted...." Need to take it down a notch.......

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Sorry I couldn't find the link to the other article I first read this on but I found this one from Huffington Post that details the events as well.

The tl;dr version: Boy has been sitting for the Pledge of Allegiance since 2nd grade, boy states he doesn't do it because his religion is to worship God & family not idol things, teacher in 7th grade physically gets him out of his chair for not standing.

I don't know about you guys but if this would have happened to MY KID at school, my family would be getting money for my bail because I'd be down there slapping a bitch into next week for laying 1 finger on my kid.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-of-allegiance

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

I think this was my favorite part:

“very disappointed that when we dropped our son off into the hands of Public Middle School, we thought it would be nurturing hands... where he could feel safe.”

I admit I laughed a bit. I mean, I would be pissed if a teacher did that to my son..but then again, at least I know not to equate public schools with "nurturing and safe" places.

Public School System = Lord of the Flies with Teachers

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    You can respect it and not follow some arbitrary ritual that means nothing. I'd like to think my volunteer time was more valuable to society than reciting a pledge.
    And my training in various types of swordsmanship, archery, and hand-to-hand combat is valuable to me. Doesn't put me upon a pillar above the common man and I'll stick to the "arbitrary ritual that means nothing" to some people, I'll address every member of the armed forces as Sir/Mam, and respect the office of the president(not necessarily the ass whom currently sits in it, regardless of their skin color).

Whom could possibly demand respect without giving any in return?
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

10+ Year Old Account
    And my training in various types of swordsmanship, archery, and hand-to-hand combat is valuable to me. Doesn't put me upon a pillar above the common man and I'll stick to the "arbitrary ritual that means nothing" to some people, I'll address every member of the armed forces as Sir/Mam, and respect the office of the president(not necessarily the ass whom currently sits in it, regardless of their skin color).

Whom could possibly demand respect without giving any in return?
    A flag isn't a person, so respecting the other person is out. As I said, there's many ways to respect America. Mine is helping American citizens. Much more practical than a ritual. It's foolish to bitch at people for not following how you do things.

I also became disenchanted when people bitched that Simone Biles didn't do it correctly. Like holy fuck, super anal overt nationalistic asshole yahoo alert,

Why did they mention his race when it isn't relevant, and why did they bring up Colin Kaepernick when the boy simply said that he only stands for "God and family"?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    A flag isn't a person, so respecting the other person is out. As I said, there's many ways to respect America. Mine is helping American citizens. Much more practical than a ritual. It's foolish to bitch at people for not following how you do things.

I also became disenchanted when people bitched that Simone Biles didn't do it correctly. Like holy fuck, super anal overt nationalistic asshole yahoo alert,
    hm? what exactly did she do incorrectly? She was at attention, that is the minimum asked of one during the pledge, unless of course they are physically incapable of standing.

I come from a military family, so I didn't learn the "hand over the heart" bit until middle school where I was told it was odd for me to salute.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

10+ Year Old Account
    hm? what exactly did she do incorrectly? She was at attention, that is the minimum asked of one during the pledge, unless of course they are physically incapable of standing.

I come from a military family, so I didn't learn the "hand over the heart" bit until middle school where I was told it was odd for me to salute.
    Appoligies, it was Gabby Douglas. And she didn't have her hand over her heart

Drove me bonkers. Here you have a woman compete for her country and respected it the entire time, and trash gonna bitch about her hand placement and it's disrespect? That's why I don't care now.

If you love your country and are proud of it, then by all means show it by standing and reciting the Pledge as well as when the National Anthem is sung. If you don't care for it, then don't. Just don't force it onto another individual. Just as bad as those that throw their religion in your face when you do something that is frowned upon in their eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    Maybe it's because I've worked in law enforcement and public safety for so long but the whole "sir" thing towards servicemen makes me laugh. I've put my life on the line for longer than most of these military kids and I've done it on our own soil where it actually matters not some forsaken desert craphole we have no business being in. I respect everyone equally until they do something to lose that respect, whether they wear a badge like me, serve in the military or make my chipotle burrito. And I'd hope for the same regardless of if I'm in uniform or not.
    I haven't been in any kind of service but have friends and family that do and seeing what they have to go through has made me have so much respect for them. Even when I got pulled over for speeding, knowing I was in the wrong and was caught i obliged and followed what the officer asked; yet seeing the officer act so defensive, nearly avoiding being next to my driver side window in fear of me doing something to him, made me feel sad for him and all others who sacrifice so much and get no respect in return.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Appoligies, it was Gabby Douglas. And she didn't have her hand over her heart
    that's the part I was commenting on. She was standing at attention, which is the minimum asked of one during the pledge. It certainly stands out more in that lineup picture with everyone else putting their hands over their hearts, but it's not improper form.

10+ Year Old Account
    that's the part I was commenting on. She was standing at attention, which is the minimum asked of one during the pledge. It certainly stands out more in that lineup picture with everyone else putting their hands over their hearts, but it's not improper form.
    Problem is, there's this notion of what is proper and to deviate in any way is to be disrespectful when that is often not the case, as shown by what happened to Gabby. It's got me disenchanted with the whole thing. You can do your best to be polite and it's still not enough. So why bother trying to please those people at all?

- - - Updated - - -

Problem is, there's this notion of what is proper and to deviate in any way is to be disrespectful when that is often not the case, as shown by what happened to Gabby. It's got me disenchanted with the whole thing. You can do your best to be polite and it's still not enough. So why bother trying to please those people at all?

- - - Updated - - -

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, triple post. Website hamsters are broken

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    dunno why people would want to please those kinds of people. but it's not exactly hard to stand for about a minute. I mean shit, I walk over 25 miles/day 6 days a week when shit gets crazy at my shop during the christmas(holdiay season technically. but we all know which one people are breaking their banks over.) rush, if you can't stand for 60 consecutive seconds, you may have polio or rickets, or some other equally horrifying disease that's making a comeback. and in that case, you probably have bigger issues to deal with that day.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    He's lazy and that is all. Fat kid.

I think its pretty sad that how much this 6th grader has been indoctrinated into his parents religion.

America is weird with it's patriotism. I visited New York last year and I went on a baseball game. I didn't stand up when the national anthem played as I have no connection to it what so ever. This guy to the right of me literally looks at me with anger and tells me to GTFO if I can't respect the flag. Seriously, wtf?
    I don't even stand in my own country when it plays on a hockey game or such because it's not a big deal to me.