View Poll Results: Should Linda Wenzel face execution for joining ISIS?

Voters
307. This poll is closed
  • Yes

218 71.01%
  • No

89 28.99%
Page 1 of 32
... LastLast

Should Linda Wenzel face execution in Iraq for joining ISIS?

Germany is attempting to prevent the execution of a German teenager who traveled to Iraq and joined ISIS. It would seem that this is rather unfair considering that countries like Russia are more than willing to allow the courts in Iraq to pass judgement on Russians who joined up with the terrorist organization.

The most common argument against executing her that I have heard is that 'everyone does lots of stupid stuff when they are a teenager.' While this may be true, joining a terrorist organization that has murdered tens of thousands of people clearly crosses the line of what might be called a youthful indiscretion. In the meantime, countries like Sweden are apparently welcoming back ISIS fighters who escaped Iraq, regardless of what heinous crimes they might have committed, and even going so far as to give them new identities.

Is the European preference towards leniency appropriate in these cases? Or should justice be carried out by the government in the area where ISIS carried out its brutal reign for several years? If Linda Wenzel isn't executed, I can imagine her becoming a 'hero' to some people someday, to the type of people who will rewrite history to make ISIS the freedom fighter good guys who pushed back against western imperialism. We shouldn't pity or romanticize such figures.

German authorities are fighting to stop a teenager who joined Isis from being sentenced to death by Iraqi prosecutors.

Linda Wenzel, who was captured in Mosul in July, was charged alongside three of her countrywomen.

Under Iraqi law, the 16-year-old could be sentenced to death, although authorities would have to wait until she was 22 before she was executed.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7931866.html

Iraq has sentenced to death by hanging a Russian who fought for Islamic State in Mosul, in the first such ruling on a foreign fighter and one which could set a precedent.

The man admitted to being a member of the jihadist group and “carrying out terrorist operations” against Iraqi security forces since 2015, according to a statement released by Baghdad's central criminal court.

He was charged under the country’s anti-terrorism laws, which provides for death by hanging or firing squad.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...-first-ruling/

An investigation by the Swedish newspaper Expressen found that 150 ISIS terrorists are being protected by the Swedish government so that locals don't find out that they were jihadists.
    http://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/20...new-identities
    Last edited by Venant; 2017-09-18 at 05:35 AM.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Is there the death penalty in Germany ?

Pretty easy question about the ''should''

However, again, here come a completely startling information about the basis of legal system worldwide : the German ''would'' and ''should'' does not matter. It's up to the Iraqis to decide.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean probably, but as this is the first I'm hearing of her I can't judge her based on anything other than the headline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Unless she has committed terror acts and murdered people she shouldn't.

i don't want anyone to be executed.

but, she should be tried in iraq, and face whatever punishment their laws mete out.

she's the one that joined the organization, she's the one that went down there. it's her fault, and she should have to face the consequences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Going abroad to join a terrorist organisation is a bit outside the scope of your average "teenage mistake".

I don't really support capital punishment, but people like that has no business getting anything but stuffed in a prison cell if sent back to Europe.

Odds over/under 99% she was raped over and over in her service to Isis. Why do young women think it's a good idea to join Isis?

15+ Year Old Account
    This wouldn't even be a question if she was a guy.

The EU strictly forbids the death penalty. As does Germany. That's why EU countries won't extradite to the US for example if there is a risk of being sentenced to the death penalty.

Thus it is logical and to be expected that Germany would do whatever it can to prevent one of its citizens from being executed. If Russia doesn't chose to do the same, that is up to Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    Odds over/under 99% she was raped over and over in her service to Isis. Why do young women think it's a good idea to join Isis?
    I was going to say something similar. Considering a lot of Middle Eastern countries' views toward women, the odds of her doing any terrorist acts rather than "serving the cause" as a broodmare are almost 0%.

Deleted
    Yet none fights with Indonesia when they execute prisoners, foreigners, from drug charges.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    I was going to say something similar. Considering a lot of Middle Eastern countries' views toward women, the odds of her doing any terrorist acts rather than "serving the cause" as a broodmare are almost 0%.
    A few jews might beg the question. Suicide bombing and knife attacks are carried out by females in the Middle East as well!

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe she should get whatever punishment the country she committed the crime in deems necessary... She chose to go there, where the death penalty is a thing, and she chose to commit the crime.

I don't agree with the death penalty, but that's the rules there, and she chose to go there.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Deleted
    If I remember right, she was also a member of an all woman "sharia police" body, that was enforcing their "laws" upon other women.

She is entitled of due process and a fair trial and must receive an appropriate punishment for what she did.If that punishment is the death penalty, so be it.

She went to another country to fight against that country's government forces. Teen or not there is a price to pay for that.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    as the saying goes, play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Oh, so now we're in favor of harming people for their ideologies/political affiliations, eh?

If she's done something, she should be prosecuted for that. If she's being prosecuted because she's "joined an organization responsible for x," I don't want to hear any more fuckwits crying their crocodile tears about Nazis getting punched.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is exactly what extradition agreements are about. Countries want to ensure that their citizens are punished according to their legal principles, whether or not they're on their native soil or not.

Would you be okay with an American woman being whipped for driving a car in Saudi Arabia? Same freaking difference, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    This is exactly what extradition agreements are about. Countries want to ensure that their citizens are punished according to their legal principles, whether or not they're on their native soil or not.

Would you be okay with an American woman being whipped for driving a car in Saudi Arabia? Same freaking difference, folks.
    I don't see the problem with applying the laws of the country to citizens of other nations if they're sentenced in the country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

If the woman chose to drive that car into a crowd of people, then yeah.
    The scope matters; I'm opposed to people being punished for merely existing (a woman driving in SA); I'm not opposed to someone being punished for joining and (reportedly) enforcing the views and actions of a murderous organization.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

She willing joined a terrorist organisation. Stop being sexist, its irrelevant of age or gender. 99.99% of people were capable of making the decision not to aid an organisation whose purpose was nothing more than death and she should reap what she sows. She made the choice, being young and female doesn't exempt you.