Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Basileus View Post
    Only thing I really care about is the fact that they felt the need to point out the race of the kid like it had something to do with this.
    the kids black
    they'll probably charge the teacher with a hate crime.

the teacher should at least be warned, if not fired. you cant put your hands on kids any more, back then it was fine but not now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Does any other Western country have a comparable ceremony that's regularly performed in schools?

Closest analogy I can think of is singing along to the national anthem during school ceremonies.

Which is especially funny because in this case the kid was objecting because he's religious and it's idolatry. LOL.
    I think north Korea also do something similar in their schools...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    the kids black
    they'll probably charge the teacher with a hate crime.

the teacher should at least be warned, if not fired. you cant put your hands on kids any more, back then it was fine but not now.
    Assault is assault though surely?

Back then it was also fine for kids to work inside chimneys.

Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    The pledge of allegiance sounds like such a bad thing, to me, a non-American. It sounds like you're celebrating a land of freedom, but are basically forced to recite a pre-written promise to a nebulous concept that honestly just sounds like indoctrination. Might not be required, but it's the sort of thing where if you don't do it, people assume you're a traitor or whatever.

Point is this should never have happened, and anyone who gets so riled up at someone's choice not to participate honestly needs to at least attend a course. I thought Americans say they fought wars to defend their right to choose to do or not do things like this, but maybe that's just voting.

The Pledge of Allegiance is not about patriotism or God, it's about our Civil War. It's meant to prevent another Civil War, the Civil War being one of the bloodiest wars ever by some metrics. More people died in one Civil War battle than all of Vietnam for example, 50K dead at Antietam, counting both sides. It's the bloodiest war we've ever been in and probably will ever be in.

So right after the war, like 1870, a preacher sat down and wrote the Pledge out, hoping in his heart of hearts that it would stop another Civil War.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

It's mostly aimed at the South.

1. I pledge allegiance

I'm not a Southerner or a Northerner, I'm an American.

2. One Nation

Not two nations.

3. under God

Was added in the 1950's by a congressman trying to make points with voters.

4. indivisible

You can't divide the nation in two.

And so far we haven't had a Civil War since. Who's to say the Pledge is not responsible for preventing a second Civil War.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Feels unlikely to me a simple pledge would be enough to prevent another civil war, unless they actually taught why the war was fought and why the winning side was right. There are too many nazis/KKK/white nationalists making news and movements and protesting monument removals at the moment to demonstrate the pledge has entirely eliminated the underlying difference of opinion between the two groups.

Even though it doesn't affect me, I don't particularly want there to be another civil war. It's good to hear it's about unity rather than "wow, our country's great, support the USA", but from an outsider's casual perspective it's always come across like it's a patriotic thing, so I'm unsure how many Americans actually know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    And so far we haven't had a Civil War since. Who's to say the Pledge is not responsible for preventing a second Civil War.
    Neither did we have a zombie apocalypse, so it is probably responsible for preventing that, too!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ117 View Post
    He's lazy and that is all. Fat kid.
    So, he is lazy and fat because he doesn't want to stand for a bullshit ritual that needs to be changed back to its original form? Now that is some bullshit mental gymnastics.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Religious beliefs don't have a place in publicly funded schools. Disrespecting your nation in such a way while claiming that a non existent deity is the only thing you would pledge yourself to is laughable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Wow, triple post. Website hamsters are broken
    I've noticed that quite a bit the last few days. (doubles and triples)

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    Take him and make him stand is not assault. Lul

The pledge is such an odd thing, props to the kid to be honest and fuck that teacher.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Religious beliefs don't have a place in publicly funded schools. Disrespecting your nation in such a way while claiming that a non existent deity is the only thing you would pledge yourself to is laughable.
    Then why does the pledge invoke said non existent deity?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Then why does the pledge invoke said non existent deity?
    Because religion is for the uneducated and weak of mind, why do you think it has such a long history? Religions are he oldest dogma known to man. The fact that people still continue to latch onto them after so many generations of education and enlightenment, it kind of baffles me.

Deleted
    They really shove down Christianity down your throat in the US don't they?

Teacher should be fired and sued. The kid has every right to not stand for the pledge, the pledge is a ridiculous thing anyway. He shouldn't be assaulted by a teacher for not doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Because religion is for the uneducated and weak of mind, why do you think it has such a long history? Religions are he oldest dogma known to man. The fact that people still continue to latch onto them after so many generations of education and enlightenment, it kind of baffles me.
    So then the pledge is for the weak of mind? Since it invoces religion?
    Must be a great nation then in your opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Allora View Post
    Take him and make him stand is not assault. Lul
    Forcefully doing it, is though. Especially considering there have been numerous cases that show that you don't have to do the pledge or stand for the national anthem as it is protected by the 1st amendment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Forcefully doing it, is though. Especially considering there have been numerous cases that show that you don't have to do the pledge or stand for the national anthem as it is protected by the 1st amendment.
    assault is an attempt to initiate harmful or offensive contact with a person, or a threat to do so.

No harm done, and about offensive thing, some people are able say its offensive for them if you breath to loudly next to them. Make a child stand without hurting him is not assault. its education. Even handshake could be specified as offensive

assault is an attempt to initiate harmful or offensive contact with a person, or a threat to do so.

No harm done, and about offensive thing, some people are able say its offensive for them if you breath to loudly next to them. Make a child stand without hurting him is not assault. its education. Even handshake could be specified as offensive
    Here's a solid definition, because it also includes apprehension, which you left out.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/assault

I think it can easily be argued that the teacher was using such force to coerce and threaten the child.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Here's a solid definition, because it also includes apprehension, which you left out.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/assault

I think it can easily be argued that the teacher was using such force to coerce and threaten the child.
    Threat can also be: "Learn this or you will get F". Try teaching little prick to show some respect isnt assault. (If teacher did face punch him or something. It would be assault) But just take him and make him stand isnt. Its total ridiculous.

Threat can also be: "Learn this or you will get F". Try teaching little prick to show some respect isnt assault. (If teacher did face punch him or something. It would be assault) But just take him and make him stand isnt. Its total ridiculous.
    Actually, it can easily be assault. The threat was accompanied by physical contact... that's assault.

It is the student's right to sit for the Pledge, and he is under no obligation to stand. Just because someone does something you don't like, does not give you the right to use force to make them stop.