Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    What sorts of genres of Horror are you interested in seeing? That would help with recommendations.

I don't keep a top 10 of my favorite horror films around. But if I had to pick 10 'classics' it might be like;

10. The Beyond (1981)
    09. The Mist (2007)
    08. Poltergeist (1982)
    07. The Exorcist (1973)
    06. Last House On the Left (1972)
    05. An American Werewolf in London (1982)
    04. Halloween (1978)
    03. I Spit on Your Grave (1978)
    02. Martyrs (2008)
    01. The Thing (1982)
    No Evil Dead or Phantasm?

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    40th Anniversary of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. It was a solid 9.5/10, I really enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    No Evil Dead or Phantasm?
    Not in my top ten, no. Evil Dead is a bit too silly to crack my top ten. Though I do think highly of the franchise- I am just not overly enamoured with overt humor.

Love Phantasm as well. But not top 10.

What sorts of genres of Horror are you interested in seeing? That would help with recommendations.

I don't keep a top 10 of my favorite horror films around. But if I had to pick 10 'classics' it might be like;

10. The Beyond (1981)
    09. The Mist (2007)
    08. Poltergeist (1982)
    07. The Exorcist (1973)
    06. Last House On the Left (1972)
    05. An American Werewolf in London (1982)
    04. Halloween (1978)
    03. I Spit on Your Grave (1978)
    02. Martyrs (2008)
    01. The Thing (1982)
    Actually i'm interested in all sorts of horror genres, no special preference, so you can recommend me any good film which fits the horror category
    I think i have seen all films from your top 10 list except for number 3 and 2. Will catch up on that.

One thing i have noticed is that some horror films become predictable to a certain degree if you have watched a considerable amount of them, especially with regards to jump scares or "shocking moments". I often watch them together with a friend of mine and we made a game out of it to predict what happens next in a scene. So maybe if you know some films that use new and different ways in being shocking or scary let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    You can try the "The Grudge" series.
    Yeah yeah I think I saw that. I vaguely recall some women living together meaning that the bathtub was clogged full of hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctagon View Post
    Why would I be mad that you have an opinion?
    People get REALLY offended if you don't like the movies they like. I'm pretty sure half of the people in this thread want to spit on me because I thought Guardians of the Galaxy was cheesy.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    I knew it, you really do live in an alternate dimension and you accidentally plugged up your internet to ours.
    Lols.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    To be fair, I could probably predict the rating I'd get from consulting the bones more accurately than yours.
    I like to think that I'm a consistently fair h8r.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelato View Post
    I often watch them together with a friend of mine and we made a game out of it to predict what happens next in a scene.
    Sounds like a great way to kill any atmosphere or tension. Sometimes for comedies or action movies I like to do something else while watching, but horror is the one category where I'll try to focus my entire attention on the movie to really get in the mood to try and be scared.

Annabelle: Creation - 9/10

A great scary movie, much better then I was expecting. They completely nailed it with the atmosphere and its use for all the scares. I like how they designed the demon which actually looks terrifying on certain occasions. It only loses a point for its story which isn't original at all, its not something that horror fans have been familiar with already. I vaguely remember the first movie but I do remember how the ending of this movie ties in with the beginning of the first movie. Probably one of the better horror movies I've seen so far this year.

Deleted
    One Missed Call (2003) - 7.5/10

With all this talk about Horror movies i decided to rewatch this one. I couldn't remember mutch about it.
    The atmosphere is amazing and the only bad thing about the movie is the low budget in special effects.
    It doesn't rely in scare jumps (even though there are a few, they are not strong) instead is all psychological Horror and it's very "classy" about it.
    I loved it but i know it could have more "graphic scenes" to be remembered.

I only don't give it a 8 score because of the low budget in special effects. It ruins 1 scene where the main character "meets" the corpse of the ghost.
    Everything else was fine and i praise the director for being so classy in the way he presented the movie, with attention to detail.
    The ending was "WTF is going on" and i didn't understand it but oh well...

I just found out there is a second...and a third movie. I will definitely watch them next but my hopes are low for those two The orginal is usually better
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2017-09-17 at 02:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    I agree, I enjoyed the trailers and thought this looked like something I was going to rave about. A killer clown that's eating kids but doesn't have a 1 pound budget? Lemme see it! But, just got home from watching it and I'd agree with a 5/10 or so. Started off quite well but then went bit a crappy with it being just jump scares rather than actual properly constructed horror. I mean, there wasn't even children eating gore horror, IT didn't really do anything tbh, I think the scariest was the beginning sewer scene. Ending was poor too, all in all nowhere near as good as I was expecting.

My gf was shit scared though xD
    If you'd read the book or even watching the original that IS how the story plays out. IT doesn't physically eats them, it feeds off the fear. And as someone who's both read the book and watched the original I give the remake an 8 out of 10 for staying moderately faithful. And the garage scene, I'll admit that freaked me out a bit.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Saw Alice in Wonderland just now on desktop.
    Won't find many kids stories these days that blend adult themes like mental illness while being a fun and silly movie as well as Alice in wonderland did.

Ninja Scroll and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust await!

Baby Driver - 3.5/10

I really didnt understand the hype around this movie. It tries to be a fun/ridiculous movie where the guy has a thing (This time tinnitus so yay ipods) and hes super skilled at driving. First off for whats trying to be a fun movie it spends an awful amount of time in the movie explaining the plot and spoon feeds you like a....baby. His tinnitus has to be explained several times to characters because "whats up with the kid" "I dunno if I wanna rob banks with this kid he just listens to music" then que the typical I was listening to the plan the whole time and im genius rant. And of course mr handsome bank robber is redeemed by looking after his mute/deaf grandfather. Hes just such a nice guy

Kevin Spacey was underused. Jamie Foxx was a walking cliche. Jon Hamm was great but held back by the hacky story. And Baby/hot chick #34232 aka the typical diner girl that will wait all night for you while you steal shit but you're a good guy so she just thinks thats sexy were ok but added nothing new or interesting.

Also none of the song choices stood out or enhanced the action scenes to the point where the gimmick of listening to music all day could have been effective or at least not annoying.
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2017-09-18 at 10:40 PM.

Mother 8/10

Heavy handed and obvious in a way Aronosky has not been for a while. However, the performances are delicious and direction spectacular. Well worth the watch fro the breathless and unrelenting style. This is a highly effective film.

I really dug the tight framing and intentional editing used throughout the film. The sense of anxiety and nervous tension is really well sold by the technique as much as the narrative. The use of 360 hand held work on Super 16mm is wonderful in creating a tightness to each character's point of view. Terrific use of color too- it seems to be overexposed at times and super saturated at others.

Dude. The motherfucking foley work in the movie is SUPERB. This is the best sound design of the year.

Really marvelous directing in Mother!. This is definitely not a mass market film though. The advertising for the film is super misleading. This is a film for people who dig Argento, Polanski, Brava, Bergman and latter day Kurasawa.

American Assassin 5/10

Eh. Not too bad but not too good either. Movie is totally mediocre. Well shot?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm very curious about Mother, Aronofsky seems to be going all in concerning style over substance. The result is often an incoherent mess and a boring movie, but the shots might be out of this world, making it worth seeing this.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    I'm very curious about Mother, Aronofsky seems to be going all in concerning style over substance. The result is often an incoherent mess and a boring movie, but the shots might be out of this world, making it worth seeing this.
    Movie looks very predictable. Looked it up on IMDB and the characters names gives away the pretentious metaphor. Don't expect a thriller/horror but 2hrs of why humans suck.

Hell or high water - 8/10.

Very solid bank heist movie set in Texas. Chris pine and Ben fosters acting is fantastic

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Hell or high water - 8/10.

Very solid bank heist movie set in Texas. Chris pine and Ben fosters acting is fantastic
    This might be last year's best movie tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post

Sounds like a great way to kill any atmosphere or tension. Sometimes for comedies or action movies I like to do something else while watching, but horror is the one category where I'll try to focus my entire attention on the movie to really get in the mood to try and be scared.
    Well that's the thing, in some films there are scenes where it is rather obvious what might happen next, so there's not much atmosphere or tension left.

Anything but boring for the film buff. Just the cinematography is worth a watch alone as it is impeccably skillful.

Also not an incoherent film. The narrative structure is obvious about 10 mins into the film and this might be his most doggedly linear film yet. Which actually works against the film a bit due how insistent the film is on a forgone conclusion. However the film is not about the 'mystery'- it's his attempt at a reconciliation of modern anxiety and religion.

It has all the nervous tension of Requiem for A Dream and the cosmologiy of The Fountain. The performances are top fucking notch. This is a good film.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually i'm interested in all sorts of horror genres, no special preference, so you can recommend me any good film which fits the horror category
    I think i have seen all films from your top 10 list except for number 3 and 2. Will catch up on that.

One thing i have noticed is that some horror films become predictable to a certain degree if you have watched a considerable amount of them, especially with regards to jump scares or "shocking moments". I often watch them together with a friend of mine and we made a game out of it to predict what happens next in a scene. So maybe if you know some films that use new and different ways in being shocking or scary let me know.
    I do not like giving recommendation or seeking them out actually. I despise recommendations.

It is a rare thing I would indulge anyone on this level. Further, I have seen literally thousands films. Thousands more still in the Horror genre. So I could produce a new list of films I enjoyed in any given genre just about any day of the week. With that said, I have chosen to indulge the request for horror film recommendations with a number of films off the top of my head as follows;

Tales from the Hood (1995)
    Suspiria (1977)
    The Witches (1966)
    Tenebrae (1982)
    Opera (1987)
    Two Evil Eyes (1990)
    Cat 'o Nine Tails (1971)
    The Wicker Man (1975)
    Satan's Blood (1978)
    Black Sabbath (1963)
    Dawn of the Dead (1978)
    Dawn of the Dead (2004)
    The City of the Dead (1960)
    Kill, Baby, Kill (1966)
    Tombs of the Blind Dead (1972)
    Cannibal Holocaust (1980)
    Beyond the Door (1974)
    Black Sunday (1960)
    Angel Heart (1987)
    To the Devil A Daughter (1976)
    Evil Dead I & II (1981/1987)
    Evil Dead (2013)
    A Nightmare on Elm Street I, II & III (1984/1985/1987)
    28 Days Later (2002)
    28 Weeks Later (2007)
    The Brotherhood of Satan (1971)
    The Hills Have Eyes (2006)
    Dracula (1958) [Hammer]
    Curse of Frankenstein (1957) [Hammer]
    The Brides of Dracula (1960) [Hammer]
    Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966) [Hammer]
    Night of the living Dead (1968)
    Blood and Black Lace (1964)
    I Vampiri (1957)
    Frontier(s) (2007)
    The Whip and the Body (1963)
    The Girl Who Knew Too Much (1963)
    Funny Games (1997)
    The Burning (1981)
    Salo (1975)
    Inferno (1980)
    Sleepaway Camp (1983)
    Hellraiser I & II (1987/1988)
    Friday the 13th I, II, III, VI (1980/1981/1982/1986)
    Jason X (2001)
    Friday the 13th (2009)
    The Exorcist III (1990)
    Snowtown Murders (2011)
    The Serpent and the Rainbow (1988)
    The Burning (1981)
    Starry Eyes (2014)
    The Void (2016)
    Don't Look Now (1973)
    It Follows (2014)
    Truth of Dare (2017)
    Night of the Creeps (1986)
    The Witch (2016)
    High Tension (2003)
    American Guinea Pig: Sacrifice (2017)
    The Belko Experiment (2016)
    Haxan (1930)
    Cabin Fever (2002)
    Cabin in the Woods (2012)
    Event Horizon (1997)
    The Conjuring I & II (2013/2016)
    Saw (2004)
    Raw (2016)
    Thinner (1996)
    Luna de Miel (2015)
    Prince of Darkness (1982)
    Phantasm (1979)
    Salem's Lot (1979)
    Braindead (1992)
    Nightbreed (1990)
    Altered States (1980)
    Hatchet I & II (2006/2008)
    Insidious I & II (2010/2013)
    Hostel I & II (2005/2007)
    Audition (1999)
    The Babadook (2014)
    Drag Me To Hell (2009)
    Excision (2012)
    976-Evil (1988)
    They Live (1988)
    Zombi II (1979)
    Don't Breathe (2016)
    Ouija: Origin of Evil (2016)
    Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)
    It Comes at Night (2017)
    Get Out (2017)
    Last edited by Fencers; 2017-09-17 at 04:39 PM.

--snip--
    That list looks very promising.
    Thank you for your efforts, it's most appreciated!

What Happened to Monday-Solid 7.5/10

was a decent suspense/action/thriller. felt very fast paced for the most part and didn't seem to lull. I thought the actors playing the sisters was OK not great, not horrible. the plot kept me guessing until the end about what was actually going on, what was going to happen next and the ending was a bit of a twist I didn't see coming but looking back at some spots I can see the foreshadowing.

This might be last year's best movie tbh.
    I recommend you watch Captain fantastic, before calling out any other movie as the best of last year
    but hell or high water is a great choice either way

dont mean to budge in, but as someone who's not a fan of horror in general

i recommend you watch Green Room, from 2015, it's so good that it made me forget i dont like horror (or rather, whawt horror has become in recent years, with no substance or depth, just superficial jumpscares that equate themselves to a rollercoaster ride, instead of something deeper) which it seems to me is a view you share :P
    Last edited by shaunika123; 2017-09-18 at 04:10 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    -- snip --
    Angel Heart (1987)
    -- snip --
    A lot of good ones listed there, but, Angel Heart.... what an absolutely fantastic movie that is.

- - - Updated - - -

Baby Driver (2017) - 5/10

I really liked the use of music in the film; reminded me a bit of why I like Tarantino films so much. I also enjoyed the driving stunts. Acting was decent over all although I thought Jamie Foxx was a little too over the top. The movie fell apart for me when the plot takes a bit of turn: I was just shaking my head at the screen. What a shame.

Baby Driver.. it wasn't very good. the only thing that kept me watching it was the music really that was great.
    i'll give it a 3/10.