Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    you mean when you surround yourself with people other than screeching harpies you see the world in a different light?!

Quote Originally Posted by Icedcoffeee View Post
    Talking about "red states" and "blue states" is largely missing the point. The primary divide is usually between urban and rural.Indiana may be red, but Indianapolis and Bloomington are both pretty blue, and Terre Haute is a notorious bellwhether, voting for Trump, Obama, Bush, Clinton, Bush Sr., Reagan, Carter, Nixon, (I could go on.)

And the point about "economic diversity" is rather ironic. San Diego has similar-ish rates of poverty, (coupled with a far larger population,) along with a massive homelessness problem, greater income inequality, etc. But in San Diego the poverty is primarily non-white. Or to be more charitable, San Diego is so large that more middle-class types don't see it as much. Whereas Terre Haute is small enough for you to actually feel the demographic realities.
    This so much. Remember these pics that were making circulation during the election?

Most states would be considered "Red" if you went by geography. It's the few cities which hold a majority of the state's population that makes a state "Blue".

This also shows why so many leftists were shocked that Trump became president, or that a majority of the lawmakers and governors in the USA are republican. They tend to lock themselves away into these small, liberal bubbles (either intentionally or unintentionally) where they're so used to seeing other like-minded individuals that the idea of people with different opinions is often a foreign, unrealistic, and/or even an intimidating concept to them.
    Last edited by SupBrah; 2017-09-18 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    Sure, right after Texas. Not that separating CA would do anything anyway... still have major "liberal bastions" in the Bay Area and LA county.
    Well, I just notice a huge cultural difference between norcal folks outside of the bay area and socal people. Will a split happen, no....but if I was a average norcal person, I'd feel disenfranchised at how I was represented on the state and federal level.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    That's because Indiana has some good shit going for it.

But now let's take a look at Oklahoma, New Jersey and Illinois that are all shit holes because of Republican legislation.

Also I enjoy how she talks about California being uncaring about your personal wealth. Gee, I wonder why.

- - - Updated - - -

Refusal to accept reality is a mental disorder, not ignorance.
    Ever been to Texas, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, SC, NC? Pretty fucking nice places to live, that are usually red states.

Problem is the middle of the country is dying because there isnt any industries left, most of the small towns survive due to universities keeping them alive. That, or military bases, factories are all but gone, and the surviving micro towns are farm towns.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Well, I just notice a huge cultural difference between norcal folks outside of the bay area and socal people. Will a split happen, no....but if I was a average norcal person, I'd feel disenfranchised at how I was represented on the state and federal level.
    I severely doubt this is unique to CA.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    I severely doubt this is unique to CA.
    It is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyyrogue View Post
    Ever been to Texas, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, SC, NC? Pretty fucking nice places to live, that are usually red states.

Problem is the middle of the country is dying because there isnt any industries left, most of the small towns survive due to universities keeping them alive. That, or military bases, factories are all but gone, and the surviving micro towns are farm towns.
    This is a primary reason Clinton lost the election.

When people see their towns due because industry moves away, they look to our leadership to find ways to being new opportunity.

When rust belters turnt to the democrats for help, instead of hearing a strong message about who to kick start the economies in these blighted areas, they got virtue signalling, and identity politics.

Sorry guys, you're white and we don't care about you or your problems. Fuck off with your white privledge, isn't a great message.

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    I moved from a blue state to a different blue state. My quality of life has gone up immensely, and the neighborhood I live in is much closer and the people in general friendlier.

WHAT TO MAKE OF THIS?!?!!?
    Wait, you're telling me there are other factors affecting quality of life than who millions of people, most of whom you'll never meet, voted for?
    Sounds fake, I think you're lying.

15+ Year Old Account
    Moves from blue state to red state... hah.

Should read "Moved from California to historically liberal city in red state".

Yes, of course liberally enriched cities in red states do extremely well. I live in one. Many of the local ordinances favor our small businesses and rich, diverse, vibrant culture. The rednecks/righties are constantly wanting to plop down Wal-Marts and other massive eyesores in the middle of our local economic business centers, and every time we vote them down and disallow these massive businesses from ruining the local economy.

Blue cities in red states often have VERY different culture from both blue cities in blue states, and red cities in red states. They're a unique combination of many values that are far from both liberal and conservative. It's more communal and democratic most of the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    She encountered "economic diversity", aka way more people living in poverty. But they're friendly!
    She thinks she's a missionary in backwater country.
    Good catch. It's just about the same where I live. Most people who live in the city are quite well off. We have communities of rednecks that live on the outskirts. They're poor... but at least they're ni-- *vomits* nice.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Wait, you're telling me there are other factors affecting quality of life than who millions of people, most of whom you'll never meet, voted for?
    Sounds fake, I think you're lying.
    Well I was HOPING you would help me fit my experiences into a convenient political narrative so I know what to think, but sure, hurl accusations of forgery.

So basically, life is easier for her as her husband makes as much or more money than when living in California and her cost of living has gone down. She's met poor people and learned they aren't scary and that the entire town isn't racist. I'm not sure what the point of this poorly written freelance article is, besides patting her back for leaving Cali, having more money, and not being scared of the scary red state, which isn't always red.

I live in the South and who would have thought everyone isn't racist. This is just a stupid person who believed anything they heard and that where they lived was some tolerant mecca moving to find out, oh sterotypes exist but they don't encompass every person. I'm sure she's asking really tough questions of all the people around her as well. I can see why she is Freelance, this article is pretty worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Haha! She says that her vote didn't count in CA. Glad she is for the in elections. Plus she admits her political bias, so she is likely to love a red state.

I understand people moving from urban area to a less metropolitan place and be totally happy. Also vice-versa.
    The vote counts very well in California the fact that it is rock solid blue is why it is a great place to live and work

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SupBrah View Post
    Most states would be considered "Red" if you went by geography. It's the few cities which hold a majority of the state's population that makes a state "Blue".

This also shows why so many leftists were shocked that Trump became president, or that a majority of the lawmakers and governors in the USA are republican. They tend to lock themselves away into these small, liberal bubbles (either intentionally or unintentionally) where they're so used to seeing other like-minded individuals that the idea of people with different opinions is often a foreign, unrealistic, and/or even an intimidating concept to them.
    It's a good thing we live in a Democracy where people matter more than acres of land. The policies of the government will affect an apartment building filled with people on a couple of acres of land more than it will affect a few thousand acres of grass and dirt in Montana. These maps make Trumpkins feel good, they see vast swaths of "land" that "voted for" Trump and use it as justification for their leader's constant failings.

The funniest part of your post is that liberalism in the US is pretty much defined by people's interaction and intermingling with different cultures and idea. You guys scoff at how much liberals push for multiculturalism and diversity, then turn around and say that they don't like different ideas. Hahaha, good joke.

No, what liberals scoff at is the backwards unwillingness to accept different ideas. The "differing opinions that are often foreign, unrealistic, and even intimidating" are people who react to brown people with aggression and pointed guns. They're the people who scoff at every single differing idea put in front of them. The conservative side of America is the one that doesn't accept differing ideas, and they wear it as a point of pride on their sleeve... until they put their hand over that part of their sleeve when it comes time to whine that liberals won't accept their backwards and aggressive ways of thinking.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Ive lived in both a red state (Texas) and Blue (Washington, although only for 2 years). I really didn't notice much difference beyond liberal vs conservative governments. Both people are nice and welcoming, the environment, while different, are both pretty. Education in the major city centers are the same in terms of being good (gotta avoid rural areas).

but Texas is weird in that while it is red, it has more than enough blue areas to make it seem like a blue state. As opposed to other deep red states.
    Yup, gerrymandering will do that to a state.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I wonder if she ever visits Jisreal. It’s like Isreal, but for Jews.

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    The vote counts very well in California the fact that it is rock solid blue is why it is a great place to live and work
    Let's not pretend it's that great really.

Here in AZ 300k can buy you a beautiful 5 bedroom house with a pool. In CA especially in the cities, that can't buy you a bungalow built in the 50s

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    It's a good thing we live in a Democracy where people matter more than acres of land. The policies of the government will affect an apartment building filled with people on a couple of acres of land more than it will affect a few thousand acres of grass and dirt in Montana. These maps make Trumpkins feel good, they see vast swaths of "land" that "voted for" Trump and use it as justification for their leader's constant failings.

The funniest part of your post is that liberalism in the US is pretty much defined by people's interaction and intermingling with different cultures and idea. You guys scoff at how much liberals push for multiculturalism and diversity, then turn around and say that they don't like different ideas. Hahaha, good joke.

No, what liberals scoff at is the backwards unwillingness to accept different ideas. The "differing opinions that are often foreign, unrealistic, and even intimidating" are people who react to brown people with aggression and pointed guns. They're the people who scoff at every single differing idea put in front of them. The conservative side of America is the one that doesn't accept differing ideas, and they wear it as a point of pride on their sleeve... until they put their hand over that part of their sleeve when it comes time to whine that liberals won't accept their backwards and aggressive ways of thinking.
    Oh please, the only diversity the left cares about is diversity of skin color, not diversity of thought.

They are represented equally, based on population. It's no different than most other states. The secessionist movements ignore the fact that a new state would be about as poor and welfare dependent as Mississippi.

Not only that, the liberals in the new state would be in the exact same boat as the conservatives right now.

Quote Originally Posted by SupBrah View Post
    This so much. Remember these pics that were making circulation during the election?

Interestingly, this is also roughly a population split. Trumpland contains around 49% of the population, and Clinton Archipegalo contains about 51% of the population. These maps always make it seem like republicans have huge support, but in reality it's due to no one really living in most of the country. Unless you want people's vote to count based on how much land they own, it's pretty much irrelevant ego-stroking.

Leftists were shocked that Trump became President, due to a margin of 88k votes across PA, WI, MI, while simultaneously losing the popular vote by nearly 3 million votes. They've always known that the uneducated, white, and rural areas would go hard Trump (or any republican), while educated, minority, and urban areas would swing Clinton (or any democrat). It's mainly the suburban areas, and medium sized cities, where you see the real battles. I recall a DC suburb in Virginia giving that state to Clinton, while the low turnout of a black Philadelphia suburb along with poor Scranton results gave Pennsylvania to Trump.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

If this is how you decide where to live you need a hobby.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

10+ Year Old Account
    The midwest is ok but I just cant ever be in a landlocked state, us fisherman need the ocean to be happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's not pretend it's that great really.

Here in AZ 300k can buy you a beautiful 5 bedroom house with a pool. In CA especially in the cities, that can't buy you a bungalow built in the 50s

- - - Updated - - -

Oh please, the only diversity the left cares about is diversity of skin color, not diversity of thought.
    Since when did you care about diversity of thought, you just use a random label generator when ever someone disagrees with you and dismiss it and then do the pretend military thing if countered