Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    What are two pieces of technology that everyone has now that most people didn't 20 years ago?
    The internet; smartphones.

Do I win?

This student did not comply with the officer's request that the knife be dropped. I don't think someone should simply be killed for not obeying the order, but I don't think it's wrong the officer fired a shot, especially if he's worried about being attacked. It's unfortunate the student died, but it sounds like maybe that's what the student wanted, otherwise he would have listened.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dys View Post
    It's a false equivalency, at best. The police in America have to operate under the assumption that the perpetrator has a gun, whether it's confirmed or not, and is stupid enough to be willing to use it on anyone that gets in their way. That isn't a common theme that requires a proper response in Europe, gun violence seems to be pretty fucking rare over there. It's a daily thing here though, hourly in some parts. It's a very different atmosphere because of the gun culture.

A shot to the leg of an armed suspect stops him from running, but doesn't do a damn thing to stop him from firing back.
    That guy didn't have a gun, he had a multi tool.. That America does not do much on gun control is another story, this is about deescalation, and the lack of it.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PassingBy View Post
    Tazer? Rubber bullets? Tear gas? Flashbang?
    Shoot the guy in the knee?

When using something like a gun, you only aim to kill, that is one of the first things you are taught when you are training to use a firearm.

Here in America, if a police officer, or anyone for that matter, intentionally shoots someone with the intent to disable them (like you are suggesting) they are opening themselves up to a lawsuit from the "victim" for a loss of livelihood/disability inducing trauma and are now entitled to a shit ton of money as a result. It's very easy for the person to win such a case in the courts, even if the "victim" was also in the process of committing a crime. You can quickly find such events occurring with a google search where an armed robber enters a home, gets shot in the kneecap and proceeds to sue (and win) against the person who they were robbing.

There is such a thing as escalation of force. (At least they taught us such things in the military not sure if campus police are given similar training though I can't see why not.) However, one of the justifiable means to use lethal force is when "all lesser means have failed OR cannot be reasonably employed. If this person was advancing on the officers with a lethal weapon, (fun fact is knives are lethal weapons, just check out knife attacks in China to see that) then that can be seen as justifiable use of lethal force.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    European ignorance not knowing that google translate exists for entire websites.
    American ignorance that they think it actually works well.

Walk at a cop with any weapon and ur gonna get shot.
    why is this even newsworthy?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    There is a difference between missing a shot and hitting the leg, and a non-lethal takedown.
    If an aggravated person is running at you with a knife drawn, you shoot for the kill.

Quote Originally Posted by MeHMeH View Post
    That guy didn't have a gun, he had a multi tool.. That America does not do much on gun control is another story, this is about deescalation, and the lack of it.
    It is a bladed weapon. Go look at the link I sowe d and see what a small blade can do in a very short amount of time. I gather you have no Use of force tactics training at all or speak from any kind of real world use of force experience.
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    If I look at other countries, my own, even, then dead or even wounded LEO's are exceptions. Same goes for perps too, they tend to live.
    So tell me, why there is this difference?
    Because shots to the body don't always kill. You have to pretty much be dead accurate center mast to kill a person with one shot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post
    Walk at a cop with any weapon and ur gonna get shot.
    why is this even newsworthy?

- - - Updated - - -

If an aggravated person is running at you with a knife drawn, you shoot for the kill.
    You don't have to tell me that. I was discussing with a couple of Euro idiots on why you don't do warning shots or shots to appendages. They are the ones saying they do, yet they have zero proof to back that claim up past one or 2 reports of a perp being stopped by a shot to the leg. Which I replied missing a shot to the body doesn't count as shooting someone in the leg purposefully.

If you pull a gun, any use of it is lethal. "Shooting the leg" is just a way to potentially kill someone by having them bleed out while doctors attempt to grab and close their femoral.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvator View Post
    Cases like this .. I do not get them.

According to what happened, a person armed with a melee weapon was asked to drop the weapon. Instead said person walks (not runs) towards the armed cop. The cop reacts by shooting blindly at the person.

I mean do not get me wrong, if the cop were in danger because an armed maniac is running at him then yes, it might happen by mistake that you kill that person. But THIS ... aren't cops trained to properly handle fire weapons? How is it, that those cases seem to end in a death most of the time? Really unnecessary if you ask me. Shoot at the leg if someone runs at you.
    OK Mr. fire arm expert you hit a moving target less then 6 inches across in most cases with a hand gun consistantly

you been watching to many Hollywood movies were everyone is a crack shot that can knock a gun out of someone's hand at 20 paces
    you aim center mass to give your self the best chance to hit the target
    one of the worse things a cop can do is miss for two reasons
    first you don't always have the chance to make a second shot
    and two if you miss now you have a bullet going who knows where with a chance to hit an innocent bystander

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    OK Mr. fire arm expert you hit a moving target less then 6 inches across in most cases with a hand gun consistantly

you been watching to many Hollywood movies were everyone is a crack shot that can knock a gun out of someone's hand at 20 paces
    and two if you miss now you have a bullet going who knows where with a chance to hit an innocent bystander
    Some police depts were allowing people to take Shoot dont shoot exercises to catch a small glimpse as to what it is like in a high adrenaline use of force scenario. Most of the Antigun journalists who take it fail miserably
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post
    you shoot for the kill.
    you shoot to hit the target

Whether that kills/wounds/or cripples is something you deal with afterwards.

- - - Updated - - -

That guy didn't have a gun, he had a multi tool
    police enforce the law

It kind pays to have better weapon in any confrontation
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    If I look at other countries, my own, even, then dead or even wounded LEO's are exceptions. Same goes for perps too, they tend to live.
    So tell me, why there is this difference?
    Maybe because the violence overall is much lower. Less perpetrators obviously results in less cases.

P.s. european countries barely use guns (especially in past) and when they do they often use rubber bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Siraeyou View Post
    However, one of the justifiable means to use lethal force is when "all lesser means have failed OR cannot be reasonably employed.
    "Or you get sued if the guy lives."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    Funny how for as long as america's been in existence people have had guns and yet it's only in the last 20-ish years that the police have needed to kill everyone to protect themselves.
    Is this a serious statement?

Literally the opposite of that is true... Have you never heard of the western frontier where marshals/rangers/the military were pretty much in perpetual battle with criminals and Native Americans for over a century? Have you never heard of organized crime that sprang up in the cities as they grew and has been there for over a century at this point; and was especially prevalent during prohibition (Al Capone, Lucky Luciano, etc...)?

They used to have literal skirmishes/battles with criminal organizations... In fact our police are probably less violent now than they have ever been.

The only thing that has changed is the internet and the 24/7 news cycle spewing bullshit about every officer involved shooting in your face all day every day...

10+ Year Old Account
    It is tragic, for both the victim's family and the police officer who shot the victim. The problems showcased by this incident are primarily those of mental healthcare and police training, either or both can be lacking in incidents like this. This university should look at their police training and use of force policies, in addition to providing counseling for the family, students, and campus police.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    Gender Identity Disorder
    Increased chance of depression and in this case, suicidal.
    Last edited by ezgeze; 2017-09-19 at 12:18 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The cops did deescalate the situation. No one was hurt but the dumbass who walked toward the cops armed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    The cops did deescalate the situation. No one was hurt but the dumbass who walked toward the cops armed.
    Not to mention CNN is now reporting that the student called the police himself...

Literally intended from the beginning to commit suicide, unfortunately he had to ruin that cop's life in addition to his own.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post

Hitting the leg of someone walking toward you isnt that hard for a well trained person, if the target is not acting erratically. On the other hand, the police miss more often than they hit people they shoot at because they really are not that well trained and most do not practice much.

10+ Year Old Account
    American ignorance that they think it actually works well.
    Typical Euro-stupidity to think your misdirects are anything more than lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Hitting the leg of someone walking toward you isnt that hard for a well trained person, if the target is not acting erratically. On the other hand, the police miss more often than they hit people they shoot at because they really are not that well trained and most do not practice much.
    I assume you know a bunch of highly trained shooters who have shot a bunch of people in the leg.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.