Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    Probably should have kept reading, you might have learned something.... Try and pay attention this time... MAKING THE PHYSICAL COPIES was the cheap part, DESIGNING AND CODING THE GAME was the expensive part, they used sales price to RECOUP THE COST OF DESIGNING THE GAME AND TO MAKE PROFIT.
    Except for the part where I proved that blatantly false with RE2? Maybe if you kept reading you would have learned something...

The entire PS1/N64 era proves this notion blatantly false as PS1 games where always $39.99 or cheaper and N64 games where anywhere from $49.99-$89.99.

PS1 had the more expensive production value games as well, loaded with CGI movies.

There is a reason when the gaming industry moves away from carts they where able to standardize game prices instead of having them bumble around all over the place costing a kid a whole years worth of allowance to buy an SNES or N64 game.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-09-18 at 10:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    The NES classic isn't even over 1 mil WW I don't think.

6 per store, nice joke.

- - - Updated - - -

i wasn't talking about worldwide sales just nintendo's inept shipping of the nes classic upon launch.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i wasn't talking about worldwide sales just nintendo's inept shipping of the nes classic upon launch.
    I know which is why I'm saying there is no store in existence that had 6 in stock on launch day. You where a very lucky store if you even had 3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Why not re-release the real deal? A SNES (and NES) and the games separate on cartridges.

People will absolutely buy that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    Not really. The $$ sink back then was development of the games themselves. The cartridges and systems were fairly cheap and would be even moreso now (hello chinese labor) They have all the games developed and the console already mastered, would just require some basic equipment and a marketing campaign.

As for less people, have you not noticed the INSANE industry that is the vintage game market? The one that Nintendo makes exactly ZERO dollars from? Not to mention the near hysteria with the release of the NES Classic and the fact everyone and their uncle sold out presales of SNES Classics within 1 hour of being posted?

You can. You either have to be willing to shell out a small fortune for them or accept 3rd party replacements.
    It is a lot more expensive and hassle if you want to get the 'authentic' as in everything 1:1. Nintendo would need to ask a foundry on the old equipment to tape out the CPU, something that I doubt any foundry actually still have the equipment for. Old technology that they were still calling these lithographies in the micrometers, not nanometers. If porting to a newer node you'd be spending millions in taping out, validation, testing, revisions, etc, taking up 8+ months.
    Cartridge it's just bad cause you're asking for 4-8MB NANDs now... you'd need to ask the foundries to make those in mass quantity and for them to make those again it's just expensive. Along with the RAM and battery that are also on the cartridge (cause some reason that was a design decision). It's just pointless.

It's a lot easier to just get off the market SoCs or FPGAs and NANDs than to deal with all of the above.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2017-09-18 at 11:44 PM.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...-nes-mini-tech

Welp, unsurprising. Not really a bad thing, but mildly amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Among them, we can expect hackers to be looking to exploit the system in short order to add new games - exactly what happened with the NES mini.
    I like how this is being stated as a negative thing when I wouldn't be buying the system if I wasn't planning to hack it. $80 for a handful of ROMs isn't worth it to me and shouldn't really be for anyone else either.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account

Assume it means that it's as easy to hack it as the NES then? Might stuff a couple of games into my SNES mini that i can pick up on friday.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

Heh, I'm tempted to walk into my local Wal-Mart to see if they get any of these on Friday. No, I don't expect to get one, but if they happen to be on hand, perhaps I will.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Picking this up Friday after writing my math test, still can't decide which of the games I'm Gona play first
    Thinking speed run of super Mario world or metroid, then going for lazy play through of earthbound or Mario legend of 7 stars(love erm both but never completely cleared every side quest in either )

10+ Year Old Account
    Aaand i just found out that the swedish price is 1499SEK or 184$. Goin there tomorrow to ask my for my money back. No fuckin way i'm paying more than TWICE the price people in the US pay.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

Well local Walmart got 40 of these things so at least supply seems to be better than it was with nes classic.

Not really a bad thing, but mildly amusing.
    Why is this amusing? It makes sense to have only one system to play the same games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn, my Raspberry Pi has 800+. . . lol I mean. . . . every SNES game ever created. . . . for 65 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Damn, my Raspberry Pi has 800+. . . lol I mean. . . . every SNES game ever created. . . . for 65 bucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    I like how this is being stated as a negative thing when I wouldn't be buying the system if I wasn't planning to hack it. $80 for a handful of ROMs isn't worth it to me and shouldn't really be for anyone else either.
    No one cares that you guys know how to download ROMs my dudes. Retail products aren't competing with piracy in value because piracy involves getting as much stuff as you want for nothing. Nintendo can't release the SNES Mini for $0 with the SNES's entire library included.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahourai View Post
    No one cares that you guys know how to download ROMs my dudes. Retail products aren't competing with piracy in value because piracy involves getting as much stuff as you want for nothing. Nintendo can't release the SNES Mini for $0 with the SNES's entire library included.
    No one needs a SNES mini because of Roms. . . . The only reason it will sell well is because its a cool collectors item. If you are literally interested in actually playing the SNES or any other video game of the past 30 years, you build a Pi. . . .

No one needs a SNES mini because of Roms. . . . The only reason it will sell well is because its a cool collectors item. If you are literally interested in actually playing the SNES or any other video game of the past 30 years, you build a Pi. . . .
    I'll just quote my last post about this:

A big advantage this has over the retropi is that, well, it's not piracy. It's like going into a WiiU thread and asking in disbelief why anyone buys the games instead of just pirating them and playing them on emulator. The answer is pretty obvious.

If you just want to play these games on emulator there is no reason to buy a Raspberry Pi either as your computer is vastly better at being an emulation platform.

10+ Year Old Account
    A big advantage this has over the retropi is that, well, it's not piracy. It's like going into a WiiU thread and asking in disbelief why anyone buys the games instead of just pirating them and playing them on emulator. The answer is pretty obvious.

If you just want to play these games on emulator there is no reason to buy a Raspberry Pi either as your computer is vastly better at being an emulation platform.

Well, to be fair, most WiiU games don't work well in CEMU right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade Wolf View Post
    Aaand i just found out that the swedish price is 1499SEK or 184$. Goin there tomorrow to ask my for my money back. No fuckin way i'm paying more than TWICE the price people in the US pay.
    wait how did you not know what the price was before preordering/buying it?

- - - Updated - - -

companies aren't looking to compete with thieves.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Nintendo seem to silently approve of the adding roms to the NES/SNES classic as not only was it very straight forward and easy they also took no steps to make the SNES classic harder to crack and left cute little messages for hackers in the code.

Mine is on its way but with it being a public holiday in Aussieland this monday probably wont see mine till mid next week.

Already have 50+ quality roms ready to go!

So. What's availability look like?

All the online retailers seem to be out, obviously.